|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Book 2 : Chapter 1, Early Childhood.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Rousseau's childhood household like?
(a) Cosmopolitan and literary.
(b) Harsh and silent.
(c) Loving and gentle.
(d) Violent and chaotic.
2. What is the consequence of too many slips in the child-rearing process?
(a) The child becomes well adjusted.
(b) The child becomes a coward.
(c) The child becomes too obedient.
(d) The child becomes a tyrant.
3. What does Rousseau recommend mothers should give up?
(a) Swaddling clothes.
(b) Foot binding.
4. How does Rousseau define a happy life?
(a) A life of good work done well among good people.
(b) A life with more pleasure than pain.
(c) A life of devotion to spiritual growth.
(d) A life with freedom from want and suffering.
5. If someone published under his/her own name, what question did he/her confront?
(a) Whether their social superiors would punish or reward them.
(b) Whether their family would disown them.
(c) Whether the people in their city would acknowledge or shun them.
(d) Whether readers would write to them personally.
Short Answer Questions
1. What balance does Rousseau try to strike in his child rearing?
2. Who should have the power in a family?
3. What kind of approach does Rousseau advocate for parents when their children are hurt?
4. What was the official perception of "Emile"?
5. Who rewarded Rousseau for writing "Emile"?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)