|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Book 2 : Chapter 1, Early Childhood.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Rousseau's childhood household like?
(a) Violent and chaotic.
(b) Harsh and silent.
(c) Cosmopolitan and literary.
(d) Loving and gentle.
2. When should children begin book learning, in Rousseau's opinion?
(a) After they have had direct experience.
(b) As soon as they are walking.
(c) After they have learned to write.
(d) As soon as they can read.
3. Who rewarded Rousseau for writing "Emile"?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) The clergy.
(c) The common people.
(d) The nobility.
4. What kind of approach does Rousseau advocate for parents when their children are hurt?
(a) Drastic approach: take the child to a doctor immediately.
(b) Hands-off approach: let the child fend for himself.
(c) Moderate approach: let the child see that he will be all right.
(d) Punitive approach: punish the child for getting hurt.
5. Which philosopher was Rousseau strongly influenced by?
(c) John Locke.
(d) John Stuart Mill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tried to punish Rousseau for writing "Emile"?
2. How did the man to whom Rousseau was apprenticed treat Rousseau?
3. How old was Rousseau when he wrote "Emile"?
4. What proportion of children reached adulthood in Rousseau's time?
5. What kind of clothing does Rousseau prefer for children?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)