Book 1, Book 1 : Chapter 1, Introductions and Nursing
1. What was Rousseau's father's trade?
(d) Watch maker.
2. What was Rousseau's childhood household like?
(a) Harsh and silent.
(b) Violent and chaotic.
(c) Loving and gentle.
(d) Cosmopolitan and literary.
3. What trade did Rousseau apprentice in?
4. How did the man to whom Rousseau was apprenticed treat Rousseau?
5. How did Rousseau lose his apprenticeship?
(a) He was caught stealing.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He got drunk one night.
(d) He returned home to care for his parents.
6. How was Rousseau helped in establishing a career?
(a) By support from the deans at the Sorbonne.
(b) By support from his parents.
(c) By his relationships with women.
(d) By support from a mentor and benefactor.
7. How old was Rousseau when he wrote "Emile"?
(a) In his 30s.
(b) In his 60s.
(c) In his 50s.
(d) In his 40s.
8. Which philosopher was Rousseau strongly influenced by?
(c) John Stuart Mill.
(d) John Locke.
This section contains 5,297 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)