|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's response to his son's death?
2. In what realization of Pythagoras' was Emerson interested?
3. What was Emerson's frame of mind on returning from Europe?
4. What does Richardson say Hafiz awoke in Emerson?
5. Who does Emerson say he had always considered his best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the effect Margaret Fuller Ossoli's death had on Emerson.
2. Describe Emerson's lecturing career.
3. How does Richardson describe Emerson's friendship with Thoreau after returning from England?
4. What was Emerson's relationship with "The Dial?"
5. How does Richardson characterize the importance of Emerson's friendships after his return from Europe?
6. To what use does Emerson put great men in Representative Men?
7. What was Hegel's importance to Emerson's thinking?
8. How was Emerson's work changing as he reached his fortieth birthday, in Richardson's account?
9. What political events did Emerson witness during his trip to Europe?
10. What was Emerson's relationship with abolition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emerson's descendants are reputed to have moved away from New England, and to have taken up Catholicism. How do you think Emerson would have responded to this? How does his philosophy, how does his writing represent the continuity of culture from one generation to the next?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role or importance of women in Emerson's life? What contribution did they make, and do you think that there is enough recognition of their contribution to his fame and reputation?
Essay Topic 3
Emerson wrote essays on love and spiritual laws, but never marriage. Why not, do you think?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)