|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richardson say motivated Emerson's feelings about Brook Farm?
2. What was Emerson's frame of mind on returning from Europe?
3. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's feelings?
4. In what cause did Emerson involve himself?
5. What does Richardson say was the most important thing in Emerson's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Emerson's relationship with "The Dial?"
2. How was Emerson's work changing as he reached his fortieth birthday, in Richardson's account?
3. Who was Hafiz and what was his influence on Emerson?
4. Describe Emerson's son's death and its effect on him.
5. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's fame?
6. What was Emerson's relationship with abolition?
7. What was Hegel's importance to Emerson's thinking?
8. What was Fourier's influence on Emerson's thinking?
9. In what ways did Emerson differ from his friends' opinions?
10. How did Emerson balance writing and editing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emerson wrote essays on love and spiritual laws, but never marriage. Why not, do you think?
Essay Topic 2
In what way or to what extent is Emerson a Northern or New England writer or intellectual? How much does his region affect his legacy? Are there aspects of America he was not representing?
Essay Topic 3
Are there aspects of Emerson's personality that Richardson overlooks or underplays? Make a case that Richardson has misrepresented Emerson in some way. What other Emersons do you think there might be, whose stories are still waiting to be told? Use the text for evidence, and explain your hunch.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)