|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Emerson and Lidian settle down after marrying?
2. How are we introduced to Emerson in the Prologue?
3. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's feelings about the changes he made after Ellen's death?
4. How did travel in Italy affect Emerson?
5. Where did Emerson travel from South Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richardson characterize Lidian, Emerson's second wife?
2. How did the birth of Emerson's first son change Emerson's intellectual interests?
3. What turning point did Emerson reach in his junior year of college?
4. How was Emerson's intellectual interest changed by Ellen's illness and decline?
5. How does Richardson describe Emerson as a student?
6. What kinds of images does Richardson say dominated Emerson's thinking and writing in 1836?
7. What was the Transcendental Club?
8. What view of Jakob Boehme's did Emerson pick up?
9. How does Richardson describe Emerson as a child?
10. How does Richardson describe the birth of American Transcendentalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think the nature of Emerson's relationship with Margaret Fuller was? Were they romantically interested in each other, or were they platonic friends?
Essay Topic 2
How did Emerson overcome the grief and loss he experienced so many times? What counterbalanced the sorrow and misery? What emotional, spiritual or personal reserves did he draw on?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of writer was Ralph Waldo Emerson? Was he a poet, or a religious writer, or a writer of some other sort? Define your terms and make a case based on the text.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)