|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Emerson's relationship with his reading?
2. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's internal state in 1837?
3. What was the title of the lecture series Emerson delivered in 1837?
4. What imagery filled Emerson's prose and poems in 1836?
5. What practice did Emerson begin in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richardson describe Emerson as a child?
2. What was Emerson's relationship with Bronson Alcott?
3. How was Emerson's intellectual interest changed by Ellen's illness and decline?
4. How did travel change Emerson's intellectual interests?
5. How was the period surrounding Emerson's marriage a time of mixed blessings?
6. What was Emerson's relationship with tuberculosis?
7. What kinds of images does Richardson say dominated Emerson's thinking and writing in 1836?
8. What was Emerson's relation with Hume?
9. Describe Emerson's relationship with Thoreau.
10. How does Richardson describe the birth of American Transcendentalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role or importance of women in Emerson's life? What contribution did they make, and do you think that there is enough recognition of their contribution to his fame and reputation?
Essay Topic 2
Which of Emerson's friendships had the greatest influence on him? Thoreau? Fuller? His brothers? Channing? Make an argument based on the text.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of writer was Ralph Waldo Emerson? Was he a poet, or a religious writer, or a writer of some other sort? Define your terms and make a case based on the text.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)