|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson do for Carlyle?
(a) Provide a subsidy.
(b) Publish his work in America.
(c) Edit his work.
(d) Halt a pirated copy of his work.
2. What does Richardson say is Emerson's last characteristic book?
(a) The 1844 Essays.
(b) Representative Men.
(c) Essays 1844.
(d) His book on England.
3. What was the focus of "The Dial" under Emerson's editorial leadership?
(a) Culture and philosophy.
(c) Science and history.
4. What idea of the author's does Richardson say Emerson followed "surprisingly far?"
(a) Disregard for individuality.
(b) Doubt about the possibility of transcendent experience.
(c) Faith in evolutionary processes.
(d) Respect for historical determinism.
5. What did Emerson turn his house into?
(a) A library.
(b) A boardinghouse.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's works after he turned forty?
2. What does Richardson say caused Emerson to become less innocent?
3. What did Emerson witness in Europe?
4. Whose coffin did Emerson open toward the end of his life?
5. For how long was Emerson the editor of "The Dial?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Emerson's relationship with "The Dial?"
2. Describe Emerson's lecturing career.
3. How was Emerson's work changing as he reached his fortieth birthday, in Richardson's account?
4. Describe the effect Margaret Fuller Ossoli's death had on Emerson.
5. Describe Emerson's relationship with Whitman.
6. Why, according to Richardson, was Emerson's mood dark while he was preparing for his lecture tour in England?
7. How does Richardson describe Emerson's friendship with Thoreau after returning from England?
8. How does Richardson characterize the change that took place in Emerson after Waldo's death?
9. What does Richardson say was Emerson's last characteristic book?
10. What political events did Emerson witness during his trip to Europe?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)