|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What side of Emerson was apparent in the volume of poems he published in 1846?
(a) Calm stoic.
(b) Political strategist.
(c) Passionate romantic.
2. How did Emerson see his personal history, according to Richardson?
(a) As the raw material out of which men's lives are made.
(b) As the story of the people in his life.
(c) As the story of his few brilliant experiences.
(d) As the story of his most successful essays and poems.
3. In what realization of Pythagoras' was Emerson interested?
(a) That not everything was in flux.
(b) That change was the only constant.
(c) That all things are made of material.
(d) That everything is spirit.
4. What idea of the author's does Richardson say Emerson followed "surprisingly far?"
(a) Respect for historical determinism.
(b) Doubt about the possibility of transcendent experience.
(c) Disregard for individuality.
(d) Faith in evolutionary processes.
5. In what cause did Emerson involve himself?
(a) Indian affairs.
(b) Preventing Cruelty to Animals.
(d) Women's suffrage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Emerson call his house after he changed how it was used?
2. Whose coffin did Emerson open toward the end of his life?
3. What event threw Emerson into despair in 1840?
4. How did Andrews Norton review Emerson's Dartmouth lecture?
5. What did Lidian name her first daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what use does Emerson put great men in Representative Men?
2. What were Emerson's impressions of England when he traveled there in 1848?
3. Describe Emerson's relationship with Whitman.
4. What does Richardson say was Emerson's last characteristic book?
5. In what ways did Emerson differ from his friends' opinions?
6. Who was Hafiz and what was his influence on Emerson?
7. What was Fourier's influence on Emerson's thinking?
8. What was Emerson's talk in Dartmouth like?
9. How does Richardson characterize the importance of Emerson's friendships after his return from Europe?
10. What was the significance of Emerson's first daughter's name?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)