|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's feelings?
(a) That he wanted more freedom than he had.
(b) That he had accomplished nothing.
(c) That he had no control over his life.
(d) That he would never compensate for his losses.
2. How does Richardson characterize "The Dial?"
(a) As forward looking but also memorializing the dead.
(b) As mostly comprised of Emerson's work.
(c) As Emerson's mouthpiece.
(d) As the work that inspired Emerson.
3. According to Richardson, what feeling would stay with Emerson for the rest of his life, after the Norton affair?
(a) Doubt about his talents.
(b) The taste of public censure.
(c) The flush of success.
(d) The pride of accomplishment.
4. In what realization of Pythagoras' was Emerson interested?
(a) That everything is spirit.
(b) That all things are made of material.
(c) That not everything was in flux.
(d) That change was the only constant.
5. What does Richardson say motivated Emerson's feelings about Brook Farm?
(a) Reticence about group enterprises.
(b) Aversion to financial risk.
(c) Fear of intimacy.
(d) Difference of opinion with Ripley.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Emerson's views on individuality and idealism respond to the immense cultural changes of the 1840s, according to Richardson?
2. How does Richardson characterize Sufism?
3. What did Jones Very claim to be?
4. How did Andrews Norton review Emerson's Dartmouth lecture?
5. What was Emerson's frame of mind on returning from Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richardson describe Emerson's friendship with Thoreau after returning from England?
2. What does Richardson say was Emerson's last characteristic book?
3. How was Emerson's work changing as he reached his fortieth birthday, in Richardson's account?
4. What was Emerson's talk in Dartmouth like?
5. What political events did Emerson witness during his trip to Europe?
6. Who was Jones Very?
7. Describe Emerson's relationship with Whitman.
8. What was Emerson's response to the invitation to join Brook Farm?
9. Who was Hafiz and what was his influence on Emerson?
10. In what ways did Emerson differ from his friends' opinions?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)