|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea of Hegel's did Emerson discover on returning from Europe?
(a) The importance of marriage.
(b) The importance of community.
(c) The importance of the heroic individual.
(d) The importance of history.
2. What did Emerson witness in Europe?
(a) Severe economic crisis.
(b) Revolutions in England and France.
(c) Famine and poverty.
(d) Modern warfare.
3. What does Richardson say was the most important thing in Emerson's life?
(a) His marriage.
(b) His friendships.
(c) His children.
(d) His writing.
4. On what theme did Emerson's letters and journals begin to focus after Margaret Fuller's death?
(d) The sea.
5. What was Emerson's response to the publicity that arose from Andrews Norton's article?
(a) He stayed out of it.
(b) He answered Norton publicly.
(c) He corresponded with Norton's superiors.
(d) He made overtures to Norton through friends.
6. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's career as a lecturer?
(a) A bother and source of dismay.
(b) A distraction from his writing.
(c) The fulfillment of his ministerial personality.
(d) Taxing but enjoyable.
7. Which of Emerson's friendships was tested on Emerson's return from Europe?
8. What theme does Richardson say Emerson began to write about as he turned forty?
(a) Political resistance.
9. What idea of the author's does Richardson say Emerson followed "surprisingly far?"
(a) Faith in evolutionary processes.
(b) Respect for historical determinism.
(c) Doubt about the possibility of transcendent experience.
(d) Disregard for individuality.
10. In what realization of Pythagoras' was Emerson interested?
(a) That all things are made of material.
(b) That not everything was in flux.
(c) That change was the only constant.
(d) That everything is spirit.
11. What did Jones Very claim to be?
(a) The first genuine American Poet.
(c) Emerson's first disciple.
(d) The Messiah.
12. In what cause did Emerson involve himself?
(a) Women's suffrage.
(b) Indian affairs.
(c) Preventing Cruelty to Animals.
13. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's works after he turned forty?
(a) More relaxed.
(c) More mystical.
(d) More confident.
14. What took Emerson to New York?
(a) Utopian schemes.
(d) Travel for pleasure.
15. How was Emerson received in Europe?
(a) He was criticized.
(b) He was hardly noticed.
(c) He was treated as a curiosity.
(d) He was treated as a celebrity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Emerson's hobby?
2. What began to appear in America as a result of Charles Fourier's work?
3. How did Margaret Fuller Ossoli die?
4. What brought Emerson to Europe?
5. What did Emerson praise in the essay based on Alec Therien?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)