|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Go Alone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richardson say was the turning point in Emerson's life?
(a) His trip to South Carolina.
(b) His trip to Europe.
(c) His junior year in college.
(d) His wife's death.
2. How does Richardson characterize Emerson as a reader?
3. What was Emerson's relationship with his reading?
(a) He tried to lose himself in his reading.
(b) He tried to remain independent of what he read.
(c) He tried to claim the experiences contained in each book.
(d) He tried to inhabit each author's mind.
4. What was Emerson's first printed work?
(a) A speech on Concord's bicentennial.
(d) The Divinity School Address.
5. What was Emerson lecturing on while he was courting Lidian?
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice did Emerson begin in college?
2. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's relation to other writers?
3. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's feelings on returning to America?
4. What 1837 event related to slavery does Richardson say affected Emerson's emotional state?
5. What stance did Emerson take on American literature?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)