|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Go Alone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Emerson lecturing on while he was courting Lidian?
2. What was Emerson reading of Bronson Alcott's, after settling down with Lidian?
(a) Views of childhood.
(d) Theories of education.
3. Who influenced Emerson during this turning point?
(a) Samson Reed.
(b) Edward Channing.
(c) Mary Moody Emerson.
(d) Edward Everett.
4. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's perspective on approaching Europe?
(a) He became a citizen of the world.
(b) He became a free-floating individual without a country.
(c) He abandoned his identity.
(d) He became a 'defensive American.'
5. How did Emerson change after opening Ellen's casket?
(a) He decided to focus on the living.
(b) He became morbid in his writing.
(c) He began to believe in the life of the spirit.
(d) He began to see the importance of scientific study.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Richardson say Emerson and his brothers got their most profound education?
2. What did Emerson do when he returned from the South?
3. Why was Emerson's meeting with Carlyle a "white day in his years"?
4. On whom did Emerson's reading focus after he graduated from Harvard?
5. What view was reaffirmed, for Emerson, in reading Jakob Boehme's "Aurora?"
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)