|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Go Alone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Emerson's 1837 speech at Harvard on the American Scholar received?
(a) With celebration.
(b) With hostility.
(c) With relief.
(d) With gifts.
2. What 1837 event related to slavery does Richardson say affected Emerson's emotional state?
(a) The Missouri compromise.
(b) The murder of an abolitionist.
(c) The removal of the Cherokee.
(d) The passage of the Fugitive Slave Law.
3. How does Richardson characterize the year 1834 in Emerson's life?
(a) The year of trials.
(b) The turning point.
(c) The year of transition.
(d) The year of wonders.
4. How did Emerson describe Ellen Tucker?
(a) Beautiful, with a vibrant spirit.
(b) Sensitive and religious.
(c) Strong-willed and supportive.
(d) Rhapsodic and angelic.
5. What idea of Emerson's influenced Richardson's biography?
(a) That some men's lives define the extremes of human experience.
(b) That the lives of great mean can tell us about all men.
(c) That men can only be known through their historical context.
(d) That men are best described by the women in their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What limitation does Emerson describe in Christianity in his Divinity School Address?
2. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's perspective on approaching Europe?
3. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's relation to other writers?
4. What trouble did the Emerson family encounter around the time of Emerson's engagement?
5. How does Richardson characterize Emerson as a reader?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)