|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Go Alone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stance did Emerson take on American literature?
(a) He said that it needed to learn its history from British literature.
(b) He celebrated it.
(c) He said that it began with him.
(d) He treated it as a narrow branch of British literature.
2. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's relationship with his brothers?
3. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's internal state in 1837?
4. Who did NOT join Emerson where he was writing in 1834?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother Charles.
(c) His brother William.
(d) Mary Moody Emerson.
5. Where does Richardson say Emerson's interest in religion came from?
(a) His brothers.
(b) His father.
(c) Mary Moody Emerson.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say reality is masked by?
2. What was the title of Emerson's first sermon?
3. What does Richardson say was the turning point in Emerson's life?
4. What does Richardson say Emerson felt after the birth of his son?
5. According to Richardson, what religious belief did Emerson turn toward while Ellen Tucker was dying?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)