|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Inner Light.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did this turning point do for Emerson?
(a) It filled him with knowledge of the classics.
(b) It centered his attention on his own experience.
(c) It introduced him to people who could forward his career.
(d) It gave him the confidence to pursue his studies.
2. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's feelings about the changes he made after Ellen's death?
(a) Fear and freedom.
(b) Exhilaration and vision.
(c) Moderation and deliberation.
(d) Depression and doubt.
3. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's relationship with his brothers?
4. How are we introduced to Emerson in the Prologue?
(a) He is opening his dead wife's casket.
(b) He is traveling South to recover his health.
(c) He is being celebrated as the poet of the people.
(d) He is writing his first major work.
5. Who does Richardson credit with the birth of American Transcendentalism?
(a) Bronson Alcott.
(b) Frederic Hedge.
(c) Jones Very.
Short Answer Questions
1. What publication did Emerson call a "living leaping Logos"?
2. What topic did Emerson lecture on after returning home from Europe?
3. How did the event described in the Prologue change Emerson's life?
4. The Mind on Fire is the story of what?
5. How did Emerson's career change after he opened Ellen's casket?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)