|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Inner Light.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Emerson characterize Samuel Taylor Coleridge?
(a) As a citizen of the universe.
(b) As a living instance of the world-spirit.
(c) As a man of the hour.
(d) As a voice of the people.
2. What were Emerson's religious beliefs tending toward, at the time of his ordination?
(a) Certainty that the self provides the only access to divinity.
(b) Uncertainty about the nature of the divine.
(c) Doubts regarding divine grace.
(d) Certainty that divine grace is the only avenue to redemption.
3. When did Emerson meet Lydia Jackson?
4. What does Richardson say his book illustrates in Emerson's life?
(a) His genius and his flaws.
(b) His literary development.
(c) His life as opposed to his reputation.
(d) His emotional life.
5. How did Emerson change after opening Ellen's casket?
(a) He began to see the importance of scientific study.
(b) He decided to focus on the living.
(c) He began to believe in the life of the spirit.
(d) He became morbid in his writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's relationship with his brothers?
2. How did Emerson's career change after he opened Ellen's casket?
3. On whom did Emerson's reading focus after he graduated from Harvard?
4. In what author did Emerson find guidance during Ellen Tucker's death?
5. What idea of Emerson's influenced Richardson's biography?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)