|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Fame.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Emerson received in Europe?
(a) He was criticized.
(b) He was hardly noticed.
(c) He was treated as a celebrity.
(d) He was treated as a curiosity.
2. On what theme did Emerson's letters and journals begin to focus after Margaret Fuller's death?
(d) The sea.
3. With what view of Emerson's did his friends disagree, according to Richardson?
(a) His focus on writing above all else.
(b) His positive view of business.
(c) His positive view of Indian removal.
(d) His isolationism.
4. What did Emerson say about women's rights?
(a) That women had already proved themselves more than capable of equality with men.
(b) That they should have them, but that they did not want them.
(c) That advocacy was the only obstacle to full recognition; but that advocacy sapped every cause.
(d) That they should acquire them slowly and patiently.
5. What trouble did the Emerson family encounter around the time of Emerson's engagement?
(a) His brother died of tuberculosis.
(b) His father died.
(c) His brother had a mental breakdown.
(d) His mother fell ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what author did Emerson find guidance during Ellen Tucker's death?
2. Who did NOT join Emerson where he was writing in 1834?
3. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's relation to other writers?
4. In what cause did Emerson involve himself?
5. How does Richardson describe Emerson as a young boy?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)