|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Fame.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson call his house after he changed how it was used?
(a) Brook Farm.
(c) The Bush Community.
(d) The Homestead.
2. How are we introduced to Emerson in the Prologue?
(a) He is writing his first major work.
(b) He is being celebrated as the poet of the people.
(c) He is traveling South to recover his health.
(d) He is opening his dead wife's casket.
3. How did Emerson describe his experience of Ellen's death?
(a) It forced him to question his beliefs.
(b) It was a death for him as well.
(c) It was a second birth.
(d) It was a turning point.
4. What does Richardson say his book illustrates in Emerson's life?
(a) His life as opposed to his reputation.
(b) His literary development.
(c) His emotional life.
(d) His genius and his flaws.
5. What stance did Emerson take on American literature?
(a) He said that it began with him.
(b) He celebrated it.
(c) He said that it needed to learn its history from British literature.
(d) He treated it as a narrow branch of British literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea did Emerson return to many times after giving his speech on American Scholar?
2. On whom did Emerson's reading focus after he graduated from Harvard?
3. Whose book impressed Emerson during his travels?
4. What was the subject of Emerson's speech at Dartmouth?
5. What was Emerson's relationship with his reading?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)