|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Fame.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Emerson take walks after returning from Europe?
(a) His children.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) Margaret Fuller.
(d) Ellery Channing.
2. How did Emerson change after opening Ellen's casket?
(a) He began to see the importance of scientific study.
(b) He began to believe in the life of the spirit.
(c) He decided to focus on the living.
(d) He became morbid in his writing.
3. How did Andrews Norton review Emerson's Dartmouth lecture?
4. Who is Osman?
(a) Emerson's servant.
(b) Emerson's daemon.
(c) Emerson's aunt.
(d) Emerson's nephew.
5. What idea of Emerson's influenced Richardson's biography?
(a) That some men's lives define the extremes of human experience.
(b) That men are best described by the women in their lives.
(c) That men can only be known through their historical context.
(d) That the lives of great mean can tell us about all men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's household in 1835-1836?
2. In what way did many of Emerson's friends affect him in the 1860s and 70s?
3. How did Emerson characterize Samuel Taylor Coleridge?
4. By what work of Emerson's was Jones Very impassioned?
5. What does Richardson say is Emerson's last characteristic book?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)