|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Fame.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what movement does Richardson say was Lidian ahead of Emerson?
(a) Advocating the independence of American thought.
(b) Opposition to the Indian Removal.
(c) Women's suffrage.
2. With what view of Emerson's did his friends disagree, according to Richardson?
(a) His positive view of Indian removal.
(b) His focus on writing above all else.
(c) His positive view of business.
(d) His isolationism.
3. What does Richardson say Hafiz awoke in Emerson?
4. How did Emerson describe Ellen Tucker?
(a) Strong-willed and supportive.
(b) Beautiful, with a vibrant spirit.
(c) Sensitive and religious.
(d) Rhapsodic and angelic.
5. To what moral did Emerson point in his use of great men?
(a) That all men are representative of their race and times.
(b) That common men are qualitatively different from exceptional men.
(c) That uniqueness is a burden only strong men can bear.
(d) That there are no common people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emerson describe war in "The Peace Principle?"
2. What event threw Emerson into despair in 1840?
3. What were Emerson's religious beliefs tending toward, at the time of his ordination?
4. What did Emerson say about women's rights?
5. What began to appear in America as a result of Charles Fourier's work?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)