|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Children of the Fire.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the title of Emerson's first sermon?
(a) "The Wreck of All Earthly Good."
(b) "Pray without Ceasing."
(d) "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God."
2. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's household in 1835-1836?
(a) Shaken by crisis.
(b) Bustling with ideas.
(c) Quiet with illness.
(d) Quiet with work.
3. Who came to live with Emerson after his brother Charles died?
(a) Ellery Channing.
(b) Elizabeth Hoar.
(c) Caroline Sturgis.
(d) Margaret Fuller.
4. How did travel in Italy affect Emerson?
(a) He felt dwarfed by the history there.
(b) He was rejuvenated.
(c) He was overcome with awe.
(d) He became suspicious of Old World philosophy.
5. How did Emerson's views on individuality and idealism respond to the immense cultural changes of the 1840s, according to Richardson?
(a) They were tempered by doubts.
(b) They became more realistic.
(c) They stayed the same.
(d) They became more optimistic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What imagery filled Emerson's prose and poems in 1836?
2. With what view of Emerson's did his friends disagree, according to Richardson?
3. According to Richardson, what religious belief did Emerson turn toward while Ellen Tucker was dying?
4. In what way did Emerson try to form a commune?
5. What troubled Emerson during his travels to the South?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)