|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Children of the Fire.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Emerson meet Lydia Jackson?
2. What publication did Emerson call a "living leaping Logos"?
(a) Fuller's translation of Eckermann's "Conversations with Goethe."
(b) Hedge's manifesto.
(d) Alcott's "Conversations with Children about the Gospels."
3. Why was Emerson's meeting with Carlyle a "white day in his years"?
(a) He and Carlyle discovered a deep and productive antagonism.
(b) He and Carlyle became fast friends.
(c) He and Carlyle challenged each other to define a new philosophy for the modern age.
(d) He and Carlyle discovered that they were related.
4. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's feelings about the changes he made after Ellen's death?
(a) Fear and freedom.
(b) Exhilaration and vision.
(c) Depression and doubt.
(d) Moderation and deliberation.
5. What was the Transcendental Club?
(a) A symposium.
(b) A school.
(c) A lecture series.
(d) A salon.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what view of Emerson's did his friends disagree, according to Richardson?
2. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's response to his son's death?
3. How long did Ellen Tucker and Emerson know each other before they were engaged?
4. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's exterior personality?
5. What objection did Emerson make to Charles Fourier's utopian ideas?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)