|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Children of the Fire.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What took Emerson to New York?
(b) Utopian schemes.
(d) Travel for pleasure.
2. For how long was Emerson the editor of "The Dial?"
(a) Three years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Four years.
(d) Two years.
3. How does Richardson characterize the development of Emerson's writing in 1834?
(a) He was finding his voice.
(b) His lectures were discovering new territory.
(c) His poetry was developing.
(d) He was escaping from the voices to which he had always listened.
4. In what author did Emerson find guidance during Ellen Tucker's death?
(a) de Staël.
5. With what view of Emerson's did his friends disagree, according to Richardson?
(a) His focus on writing above all else.
(b) His positive view of business.
(c) His positive view of Indian removal.
(d) His isolationism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Emerson's first son's name?
2. What imagery filled Emerson's prose and poems in 1836?
3. What does Richardson say likely caused Emerson's eye problems?
4. What stance did Emerson take on American literature?
5. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's internal state in 1837?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)