|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Children of the Fire.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Emerson reading at the time he fell in love with Lydia Jackson?
2. What influence does Richardson say has helped Emerson's writing?
(a) His travels.
(b) His loss of Ellen Tucker.
(c) His reading.
(d) His public speaking.
3. Who came to live with Emerson after his brother Charles died?
(a) Elizabeth Hoar.
(b) Caroline Sturgis.
(c) Margaret Fuller.
(d) Ellery Channing.
4. Who did NOT join Emerson where he was writing in 1834?
(a) His mother.
(b) Mary Moody Emerson.
(c) His brother Charles.
(d) His brother William.
5. What imagery filled Emerson's prose and poems in 1836?
(a) Illness and death.
(b) Health and insanity.
(c) Forging and birth.
(d) Travel and arrival.
Short Answer Questions
1. What 1837 event related to slavery does Richardson say affected Emerson's emotional state?
2. When did Emerson meet Lydia Jackson?
3. What theme does Richardson say Emerson began to write about as he turned forty?
4. What vow does Richardson say Emerson made to himself while he was writing Nature?
5. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's reaction to Ellen's death?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)