|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Science of Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did NOT join Emerson where he was writing in 1834?
(a) His brother William.
(b) His brother Charles.
(c) His mother.
(d) Mary Moody Emerson.
2. What event threw Emerson into despair in 1840?
(a) The death of Mary Moody Emerson.
(b) The death of his brother Charles.
(c) The death of his son Waldo.
(d) Lidian's illness.
3. Who died in 1834?
(a) Mary Moody Emerson.
(b) Emerson's brother Edward.
(c) Emerson's brother Charles.
(d) Emerson's mother.
4. In what realization of Pythagoras' was Emerson interested?
(a) That everything is spirit.
(b) That all things are made of material.
(c) That not everything was in flux.
(d) That change was the only constant.
5. Why was Emerson's meeting with Carlyle a "white day in his years"?
(a) He and Carlyle became fast friends.
(b) He and Carlyle discovered a deep and productive antagonism.
(c) He and Carlyle discovered that they were related.
(d) He and Carlyle challenged each other to define a new philosophy for the modern age.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Emerson meet Lydia Jackson?
2. What was Emerson's response to the publicity that arose from Andrews Norton's article?
3. What was Emerson's response to the invitation to join Brook Farm?
4. How does Richardson characterize "The Dial?"
5. Where did Emerson travel after returning from Europe?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)