|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Science of Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson do for Carlyle?
(a) Halt a pirated copy of his work.
(b) Publish his work in America.
(c) Edit his work.
(d) Provide a subsidy.
2. What political contest was becoming serious after Emerson's return from Europe?
(c) International trade.
(d) Westward expansion.
3. Where did Emerson travel after returning from Europe?
(c) The American West.
(d) The American South.
4. Which of Emerson's friendships was tested on Emerson's return from Europe?
5. In what way did Emerson share a faith with Mary Rotch and the Quakers?
(a) Both believed in the necessity of deep and prolonged religious study.
(b) Both believed in the unity of the world-spirit.
(c) Both believed that the inner spirit took precedence over the Bible and external religion.
(d) Both believed that religion was about to be reinvented for modern times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Emerson's meeting with Carlyle a "white day in his years"?
2. Who does Richardson credit with the birth of American Transcendentalism?
3. What idea of Hegel's did Emerson discover on returning from Europe?
4. What vision did Emerson have in the Jardin de Plantes in Paris?
5. By what work of Emerson's was Jones Very impassioned?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)