|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Science of Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Emerson's response to the invitation to join Brook Farm?
(a) He never responded, but let the matter fall.
(b) He joined.
(c) He delayed.
(d) He declined.
2. What publication did Emerson call a "living leaping Logos"?
(b) Alcott's "Conversations with Children about the Gospels."
(c) Hedge's manifesto.
(d) Fuller's translation of Eckermann's "Conversations with Goethe."
3. Where did Emerson move, in advance of writing Nature?
(a) Mary Moody Emerson's house.
(b) His mother's house.
(c) His brother's house.
(d) His step-grandfather Ezra Ripley's house.
4. How did Margaret Fuller Ossoli die?
5. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's perspective on approaching Europe?
(a) He became a citizen of the world.
(b) He abandoned his identity.
(c) He became a free-floating individual without a country.
(d) He became a 'defensive American.'
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Emerson take walks after returning from Europe?
2. What event threw Emerson into despair in 1840?
3. How did Emerson characterize Samuel Taylor Coleridge?
4. What political contest was becoming serious after Emerson's return from Europe?
5. Who was Emerson reading at the time he fell in love with Lydia Jackson?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)