|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Science of Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Emerson travel after returning from Europe?
(c) The American West.
(d) The American South.
2. What was Emerson's response to the invitation to join Brook Farm?
(a) He declined.
(b) He delayed.
(c) He joined.
(d) He never responded, but let the matter fall.
3. How does Richardson characterize "The Dial?"
(a) As Emerson's mouthpiece.
(b) As forward looking but also memorializing the dead.
(c) As mostly comprised of Emerson's work.
(d) As the work that inspired Emerson.
4. What political contest was becoming serious after Emerson's return from Europe?
(a) International trade.
(d) Westward expansion.
5. What did Lidian name her first daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What vision did Emerson have in the Jardin de Plantes in Paris?
2. Where did Emerson move, in advance of writing Nature?
3. How did Emerson characterize Samuel Taylor Coleridge?
4. According to Richardson, what feeling would stay with Emerson for the rest of his life, after the Norton affair?
5. How did Andrews Norton review Emerson's Dartmouth lecture?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)