|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the spirits show Betty who the drunken man really is, what does Betty see?
2. Betty states that even though there are those who are different from us, we must be willing to:
3. Shortly after Betty returns to her body, she finds comfort from the spiritual world through:
4. Betty learns that our earthly prayers for others can benefit those:
5. In the garden, Betty recognizes the spirits as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Betty use symbolism in this chapter?
2. Summarize what Betty says about what we can take with us from this life to the spirit world.
3. What does Betty conclude at the end of the book?
4. Describe how Betty feels upon returning to her body.
5. Describe what Betty writes about the spirits waiting to come to earth.
6. Summarize what Betty writes about expressing gratitude in prayer.
7. Who joins Betty in the garden?
8. Through the love she experiences as she bids farewell to the heavenly realm, what does Betty conclude regarding the significance of each soul?
9. Describe why a particular drunken man shown to Betty is regarded highly in the spirit world.
10. How does Betty compare her death to a graduation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through her descriptions, Betty tries to incorporate all of the senses to give the reader a more complete picture of her experience. For each sense -- sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell -- select a passage from the book and analyze how her written description triggers that particular sense.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Betty's family life when she's a child and when she's an adult. Why does family becomes so important to her as an adult? How does she create with her husband and children what she missed as a child?
Essay Topic 3
The tone of the book changes from beginning to end. It begins by reflecting fear and uncertainty but ends encompassing love, strength, and confidence. Select and summarize several passages that show how, exactly, the tone shifts from start to finish.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)