|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Betty say about her beliefs regarding religion prior to her near-death experience?
2. At the age of 31, Betty was mother to how many children?
3. Despite feeling blessed by her husband and their children, what does Betty say was still missing from her life?
4. When Betty's spirit looks upon her own body, she at once knows that:
5. What does Betty become aware of within the black mass she travels through?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Betty's uneasiness at the hospital foreshadow what is to come?
2. What are Betty's first impressions upon being released from her body?
3. Why does Betty need to have a partial hysterectomy?
4. How has Betty's perspective changed in this chapter?
5. At the moment that she feels her body go lifeless, what happens to her spirit?
6. Contrast what Betty learns about God first at the Catholic boarding school and later at Brainard Indian Training School.
7. Betty states she understands that love is supreme. Explain what she says about the natural order of love.
8. What does Betty feel as she travels through the tunnel?
9. Before this particular hospital stay where she is scheduled for a partial hysterectomy, Betty was admitted to the hospital for another reason. What was that reason?
10. What are the laws described in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what challenges Betty experiences after returning to earth. Explain how the spirit world helps Betty overcome these challenges.
Essay Topic 2
List five important lessons Betty learns while she's in the spirit world. Describe what surprises Betty most about each lesson learned and what surprises her least.
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the story, Betty has undergone a major transformation. Analyze at least three separate transformations she goes through. Include her student-to-teacher transition as one of these transformations. Support your analyses with examples from the book.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)