|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Initially, what position does Betty find herself in as she travels through the large black mass?
2. When Betty asks Jesus why there are so many religions, he replies that:
(a) There are as many religions as there are species of plants and animals.
(b) Different churches fulfill different needs people have at their respective levels of understanding.
(c) Religion has little to do with truth and knowledge.
(d) People get confused and make up new ideas that become new religions.
3. As Betty moves forward through the black mass, what happens to the whirling sound?
(a) It grows faint.
(b) It changes in frequency.
(c) It's replaced by harp music.
(d) It increases in volume.
4. What does Betty clarify regarding the relationship between the spirit and the flesh?
(a) The spirit has tremendous influence over the flesh.
(b) The spirit and the flesh are in constant opposition.
(c) Both spirit and flesh are controlled by the mind.
(d) The flesh overrules the spirit.
5. What attributes does Betty especially appreciate about Joe, her second husband?
(a) Knowledge and creativity.
(b) Charisma and confidence.
(c) Tenderness and patience.
(d) Humor and assertiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Betty say regarding reaching out and tending to the needs of others?
2. This book is about a:
3. After attending different churches and moving back in with her father, Betty has a frightening experience where she mistakes a carnival search light for what?
4. When she was deathly sick with whooping cough and double pneumonia as a child, Betty had an otherworldly experience of finding herself cradled in the arms of:
5. As a child, why does Betty begin to fear God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Betty's uneasiness at the hospital foreshadow what is to come?
2. Explain what Betty means in her discussion of sins against the flesh.
3. What does Betty experience as she meets the man inside the light?
4. How do some of the events of Betty's childhood foreshadow what she is about to cover later in the book?
5. Compare and contrast Betty's first and second marriages.
6. What does Betty say is the glue that holds together her marriage to Joe?
7. Why does Betty need to have a partial hysterectomy?
8. As a child, how does Betty learn to fear God?
9. Describe the garden setting.
10. Describe Betty's second husband, Joe.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)