|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lizzie hide before her death?
2. What is the name of the person waiting for Lizzie when the boat stops?
3. Who makes sure Lizzie gets to her appointment on her first day in the land of the dead?
4. What is designed to explain the rules of the land of the dead to newcomers?
5. Who first tells us Lizzie is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on Lizzie's first day of work?
2. How did Lizzie die?
3. What does Lizzie try to tell her family when she contacts them?
4. What do the people in the Department of Domestic Animals do?
5. What does Lucy tell us at the beginning of the book?
6. What does Owen say to Lizzie after she contacts her family?
7. What allows Lizzie to forgive the man who killed her?
8. What is surprising to Lizzie about the captain of the Nile?
9. Why is it strange for Lucy to be telling us things at the beginning of the book?
10. What were Lizzie's last spoken words, and how does she feel when she finds out what they were?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters were most affected by this theme? Which relationships were the most significant to the plot and why?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)