|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the captain get Lizzie off the ship?
2. Who is Lizzie's best friend?
3. Who first tells us Lizzie is dead?
4. What does Lizzie have to speak to take the job she is first offered in the land of the dead?
5. What is designed to explain the rules of the land of the dead to newcomers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lizzie makes a list of after contacting her family?
2. Who is Betty, and how does she know Lizzie?
3. Why does Owen choose to contact Alvy?
4. Why was it so hard for Curtis to believe in love when he got to Elsewhere?
5. What is so ironic about what Curtis asks of Lizzie in the healing center?
6. Who is Thandie, and how does Lizzie meet her?
7. What does Lizzie do when she becomes upset about the way people age in Elsewhere?
8. How did Owen die?
9. Why is it strange for Lucy to be telling us things at the beginning of the book?
10. How does Lizzie deal with her death when she first wakes up in the book?
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)