|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lizzie try to stay on the boat?
2. What does Owen tell Lizzie about her communication with her family?
3. Who talks with Lizzie on the Observation Deck?
4. What does Lizzie have to speak to take the job she is first offered in the land of the dead?
5. What is Curtis's job in Elsewhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lizzie discover her gift for speaking with dogs?
2. What does Lizzie spend a lot of money on when she first gets to Elsewhere?
3. What were Lizzie's last spoken words, and how does she feel when she finds out what they were?
4. What do the people in the Department of Domestic Animals do?
5. What clues does Lizzie have to her death?
6. What does Lizzie do when she becomes upset about the way people age in Elsewhere?
7. How does Lucy plan to deal with her grief at the beginning of the book?
8. Who is Curtis, and how does Lizzie know him?
9. What does Lizzie want to tell her family when she first prepares to contact them?
10. How does Lizzie deal with her death when she first wakes up in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the Observation Decks, and how are these moments significant to the main characters in "Elsewhere"?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)