|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Roger's mother?
2. Why doesn't Jo Jo have to participate in the after-church activity?
3. What does Ellen discover in Dora's underwear drawer?
4. What one thing does Ellen not do for her mother?
5. What irks Nadine and Betsy about their mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
2. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
3. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
4. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
5. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
6. Using details from the text, describe Ellen and her grandmother's relationship.
7. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
8. In Chapter 10 the reader is introduced to Ellen's naivety. Even though Ellen is wise beyond her years, what does Ellen think about the sharecroppers who work on her grandmother's farm?
9. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
10. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the details from the text and class discussions, discuss the ways that Ellen trusted and distrusted the people in her weak support system.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text and class discussions as an aid describe some of Ellen's fears and how she overcame them.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the elements of Ellen's personality. How does Ellen exhibit a dualism in her personality?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)