|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one thing does Ellen not do for her mother?
2. Who decides that Ellen must move in with a family member?
3. What does Ellen do a lot of while at her new temporary residence after her grandmother's death?
4. Whose classroom does Ellen pass on her way to music class?
5. Who is Ellen placed to live with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
Essay Topic 2
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Ellen describes her 11th birthday in detail in the text. Why is this birthday significant to Ellen and her journey to her new life? How does Ellen previously celebrate her birthdays?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)