|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen tell her hostess she is doing while at her residence after her grandmother's death?
2. Who decides that Ellen must move in with a family member?
3. What hobby does Ellen remember helping her mother with?
4. When Ellen does not go to her grandmother's funeral, what does Dora tell her?
5. Who are Stella, Frances, and Jo Jo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
2. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
3. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
4. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
5. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
6. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
7. What is the post-church ritual for Ellen and her new family?
8. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
9. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
10. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the elements of Ellen's personality. How does Ellen exhibit a dualism in her personality?
Essay Topic 2
During Ellen's mother's funeral, it was raining. How is the rain a symbol of the hardships/storms coming up in Ellen's life?
Essay Topic 3
Using class discussion and the text as an aid describe some of Ellen's extended family relationships. Is there a closeness between the family? Why or why not?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)