|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves envelopes of money in Ellen's mailbox?
2. Who are Stella, Frances, and Jo Jo?
3. Who does Ellen spy on during her free time?
4. What does Ellen change her last name to?
5. What is Julia as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
2. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
3. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
4. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
5. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
6. In Chapter 10 the reader is introduced to Ellen's naivety. Even though Ellen is wise beyond her years, what does Ellen think about the sharecroppers who work on her grandmother's farm?
7. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
8. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
9. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
10. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using the discussions from class and details from the text list some of the ways Ellen had to fend for herself.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story Ellen is neglected by her father. Write a description of how her father neglected her and the effects of the neglect on Ellen's life.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)