|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ellen's father dies, what item does Ellen's grandmother burn?
2. What does Ellen change her last name to?
3. What nickname does Ellen give her grandmother?
4. What health care options does Ellen's grandmother shun?
5. What happens to Ellen from working so hard in the fields?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
2. Using details from the text, describe Ellen and her grandmother's relationship.
3. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
4. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
5. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
6. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
7. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
8. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
9. What is the post-church ritual for Ellen and her new family?
10. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the symbolic elements the author uses in the story? Use class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using the discussions from class and details from the text list some of the ways Ellen had to fend for herself.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the elements of Ellen's personality. How does Ellen exhibit a dualism in her personality?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)