|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ellen from working so hard in the fields?
2. What does Dora still believe in?
3. What truth does Ellen's grandmother constantly remind Ellen of?
4. What grade is Stella in?
5. What request does Ellen consider asking her new mama?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
2. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
3. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
4. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
5. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
6. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
7. Using details from the text, describe Ellen and her grandmother's relationship.
8. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
9. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
10. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the details from the text and class discussions, discuss the ways that Ellen trusted and distrusted the people in her weak support system.
Essay Topic 2
Using class discussion and the text as an aid describe some of Ellen's extended family relationships. Is there a closeness between the family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
An underlining theme throughout the novel was death. Several people in Ellen's life died, and metaphorically Ellen herself died and had a rebirth. Using details from the text describe how the topic of death was a central theme throughout the novel.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)