|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Julia?
2. When Ellen's father dies, what item does Ellen's grandmother burn?
3. Where are Julia and Roy originally from?
4. When do Dora and Nadine attend church?
5. Which character dies at the end of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
2. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
3. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
4. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
5. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
6. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
7. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
8. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
9. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
10. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using class discussion and the text as an aid describe some of Ellen's extended family relationships. Is there a closeness between the family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In several instances in the text, Ellen tries to control the small things around her. Why does Ellen need to control these things?
Essay Topic 3
Using the discussions from class and details from the text list some of the ways Ellen had to fend for herself.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)