|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incentive does someone offer Ellen when they show up looking for her?
2. What is Ellen's grandmother's response when Ellen asks her grandmother why she hates her?
3. What room does Ellen stay in at her grandmother's house?
4. When Ellen does not go to her grandmother's funeral, what does Dora tell her?
5. Who shows up and stops the person with the money from harassing Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
2. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
3. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
4. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
5. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
6. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
7. In Chapter 10 the reader is introduced to Ellen's naivety. Even though Ellen is wise beyond her years, what does Ellen think about the sharecroppers who work on her grandmother's farm?
8. What types of new experiences is Ellen exposed to at her stay with Julia and Roy?
9. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
10. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using class discussion and the text as an aid describe some of Ellen's extended family relationships. Is there a closeness between the family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ellen describes her 11th birthday in detail in the text. Why is this birthday significant to Ellen and her journey to her new life? How does Ellen previously celebrate her birthdays?
Essay Topic 3
The author's use of foreshadowing and flashbacks was prevalent throughout the novel. List 3-5 examples of the author's use of these literary elements and how they were effectively used by the author.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)