|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade is Stella in?
2. What is Ellen's favorite slide to view on her microscope?
3. What does Ellen change her last name to?
4. After her grandmothers death, how does Ellen decide to treat her new residence?
5. Who does Ellen spy on upon her first visit to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
2. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
3. In Chapter 8, how is the reader once again introduced to the time frame of the novel?
4. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
5. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
6. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
7. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
8. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
9. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
10. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using details from the text and in-class research, describe how Ellen was mature, or immature, for her age.
Essay Topic 2
Using the discussions from class and details from the text list some of the ways Ellen had to fend for herself.
Essay Topic 3
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)