|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to let Ellen live with them temporarily?
2. What is mandatory every Sunday in Ellen's new home?
3. In what room does Ellen stay at her first temporary home?
4. What is the only thing that Dora doesn't have?
5. What does Ellen vow to do if her grandmother starts to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
2. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
3. What types of new experiences is Ellen exposed to at her stay with Julia and Roy?
4. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
5. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
6. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
7. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
8. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
9. What is the post-church ritual for Ellen and her new family?
10. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text and class discussions as an aid describe some of Ellen's fears and how she overcame them.
Essay Topic 2
The author's use of foreshadowing and flashbacks was prevalent throughout the novel. List 3-5 examples of the author's use of these literary elements and how they were effectively used by the author.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)