|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen change her last name to?
2. What is Ellen's favorite thing to do while at her new residence after her grandmother's death?
3. What incentive does someone offer Ellen when they show up looking for her?
4. Who does Ellen spy on upon her first visit to church?
5. What does Ellen discover in Dora's underwear drawer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
2. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
3. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
4. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
5. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
6. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
7. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
8. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
9. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
10. In Chapter 10 the reader is introduced to Ellen's naivety. Even though Ellen is wise beyond her years, what does Ellen think about the sharecroppers who work on her grandmother's farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An underlining theme throughout the novel was death. Several people in Ellen's life died, and metaphorically Ellen herself died and had a rebirth. Using details from the text describe how the topic of death was a central theme throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text and class discussions as an aid describe some of Ellen's fears and how she overcame them.
Essay Topic 3
During Ellen's mother's funeral, it was raining. How is the rain a symbol of the hardships/storms coming up in Ellen's life?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)