|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is fired from her job as a teacher?
2. What does Dora still believe in?
3. What is Ellen's favorite slide to view on her microscope?
4. When do Dora and Nadine attend church?
5. What other activities must Ellen do on Sundays in her new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
2. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
3. What types of new experiences is Ellen exposed to at her stay with Julia and Roy?
4. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
5. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
6. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
7. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
8. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
9. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
10. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the context clues located in the story, how can the reader determine the setting even though the author and narrator never explicitly provides the reader with the information?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story Ellen is neglected by her father. Write a description of how her father neglected her and the effects of the neglect on Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the elements of Ellen's personality. How does Ellen exhibit a dualism in her personality?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)