|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen tell her Aunt Nadine she would like for Christmas?
2. What does Ellen do a lot of while at her new temporary residence after her grandmother's death?
3. What is Starletta fascinated with at Ellen's new home?
4. Why does Ellen's grandmother threaten to break Ellen's hands?
5. Ellen has to go shopping for new clothes. What new item does she treasure the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of new experiences is Ellen exposed to at her stay with Julia and Roy?
2. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
3. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
4. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
5. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
6. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
7. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
8. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
9. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
10. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the symbolic elements the author uses in the story? Use class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story Ellen is neglected by her father. Write a description of how her father neglected her and the effects of the neglect on Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)