|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Dora and Nadine attend church?
2. Where does Ellen's grandmother make Ellen work?
3. After her grandmother's death, whose room does Ellen have to stay in at her new residence?
4. What will Ellen miss the most about her grandmother's house?
5. What gift do Julia and Roy give Ellen for her birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
2. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
3. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
4. In Chapter 8, how is the reader once again introduced to the time frame of the novel?
5. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
6. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
7. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
8. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
9. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
10. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and discuss several ways that Ellen's character evolved throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the symbolic elements the author uses in the story? Use class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In two instances of the story Ellen describes her Christmas celebrations. Compare and contrast the two occasions using details from the text as an aid.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)