|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Ellen dread?
2. What incentive does someone offer Ellen when they show up looking for her?
3. Who does Ellen spy on upon her first visit to church?
4. Who is Ellen placed to live with?
5. When Ellen does not go to her grandmother's funeral, what does Dora tell her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
2. Using details from the text, describe Ellen and her grandmother's relationship.
3. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
4. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
5. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
6. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
7. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
8. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
9. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
10. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the discussions from class and details from the text list some of the ways Ellen had to fend for herself.
Essay Topic 2
Using details from class discussions and from the text, describe how the author created a dualism in Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)