|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what truths does Ellen begin to figure out?
2. Why does Ellen's grandmother threaten to break Ellen's hands?
3. What irks Nadine and Betsy about their mother's death?
4. In Ellen's new life in Chapter 12, who wakes her up every day for school?
5. Why doesn't Jo Jo have to participate in the after-church activity?
Essay Topic 1
Using details from class discussions and from the text, describe how the author created a dualism in Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 2
In class discussion, you learned about the literary elements of a climax. Using these discussions and the text, describe the climax in the story.
Essay Topic 3
During Ellen's mother's funeral, it was raining. How is the rain a symbol of the hardships/storms coming up in Ellen's life?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)