|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ellen's father dies, what item does Ellen's grandmother burn?
2. What one thing does Ellen not do for her mother?
3. After her grandmother's death, whose room does Ellen have to stay in at her new residence?
4. Who is Julia?
5. Who has a crush on Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
2. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
3. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
4. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
5. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
6. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
7. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
8. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
9. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
10. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and discuss several ways that Ellen's character evolved throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In several instances in the text, Ellen tries to control the small things around her. Why does Ellen need to control these things?
Essay Topic 3
Using details from class discussions and from the text, describe how the author created a dualism in Ellen's life.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)