|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen change her last name to?
2. What request does Ellen consider asking her new mama?
3. Why doesn't Ellen buy Nadine and Dora gifts for Christmas?
4. What happens to Ellen from working so hard in the fields?
5. What nickname does Ellen give her grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
2. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
3. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
4. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
5. What is the post-church ritual for Ellen and her new family?
6. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
7. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
8. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
9. In Chapter 8, how is the reader once again introduced to the time frame of the novel?
10. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
Essay Topic 2
The author's use of foreshadowing and flashbacks was prevalent throughout the novel. List 3-5 examples of the author's use of these literary elements and how they were effectively used by the author.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the symbolic elements the author uses in the story? Use class discussion and the text to support your answer.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)