|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ellen placed to live with?
2. Who comes over right away when Ellen tells them her grandmother died?
3. Who is Roger's mother?
4. Who has a crush on Tom?
5. Why doesn't Ellen buy Nadine and Dora gifts for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of new experiences is Ellen exposed to at her stay with Julia and Roy?
2. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
3. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
4. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
5. Using details from the text, describe Ellen and her grandmother's relationship.
6. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
7. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
8. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
9. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
10. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances in the text, Ellen tries to control the small things around her. Why does Ellen need to control these things?
Essay Topic 2
During Ellen's mother's funeral, it was raining. How is the rain a symbol of the hardships/storms coming up in Ellen's life?
Essay Topic 3
In class discussion, you learned about the literary elements of a climax. Using these discussions and the text, describe the climax in the story.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)