|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does someone show up looking for Ellen?
2. What truth does Ellen's grandmother constantly remind Ellen of?
3. When Ellen does not go to her grandmother's funeral, what does Dora tell her?
4. What is Dora and Nadine's response to Ellen's Christmas gift?
5. What is Julia as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of new experiences is Ellen exposed to at her stay with Julia and Roy?
2. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
3. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
4. What is the post-church ritual for Ellen and her new family?
5. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
6. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
7. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
8. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
9. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
10. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances in the text, Ellen tries to control the small things around her. Why does Ellen need to control these things?
Essay Topic 2
Using the context clues located in the story, how can the reader determine the setting even though the author and narrator never explicitly provides the reader with the information?
Essay Topic 3
Using the details from the text and class discussions, discuss the ways that Ellen trusted and distrusted the people in her weak support system.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)