|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one materialistic possession is the only thing Ellen really cares about?
2. Who has a crush on Tom?
3. What is Ellen's favorite slide to view on her microscope?
4. What do Ellen and Starletta keep a list of?
5. What health care options does Ellen's grandmother shun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
2. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
3. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
4. In Chapter 8, how is the reader once again introduced to the time frame of the novel?
5. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
6. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
7. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
8. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
9. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
10. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text and class discussions as an aid describe some of Ellen's fears and how she overcame them.
Essay Topic 2
During Ellen's mother's funeral, it was raining. How is the rain a symbol of the hardships/storms coming up in Ellen's life?
Essay Topic 3
In class discussion, you learned about the literary elements of a climax. Using these discussions and the text, describe the climax in the story.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)