|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grandmother gnome warn Ella about?
2. How does Ella speak to the group of ogres?
3. What does Mandy say many people are frightened of in Chapter 4?
4. Who is Mandy?
5. Who does Ella's mother refuse to tell her about in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ella save herself from the group of ogres that intends to eat her?
2. What event does Ella learn that her father will be attending from her magic book? Who is supposed to be at the event, and what does Ella decide to do after reading about her father's plans?
3. What do Hattie and Olive ask Ella for when they realize that she does whatever they ask of her?
4. After arriving at school, why is Ella able to quickly pick up on all of her subjects?
5. What happens when Ella tells one of her playmates about her curse?
6. Why is Areida unpopular at school? How does Ella also become an outcast?
7. What does Ella discover about her book of fairy tales while she is on the journey to her finishing school?
8. What does Mandy confess in Chapter 4? Why did Mandy keep her identity a secret?
9. How does Ella acquire bread and directions in Chapter 13?
10. What gift does the fairy Lucinda give to Ella when she is born? How does the gift backfire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the novel "Ella Enchanted". What is the genre of the work? What elements are found in this genre and this novel?
Essay Topic 2
"Ella Enchanted" is a retelling of the Cinderella story. What elements of "Cinderella" can also be found in "Ella Enchanted"? How has Carson Levine changed her story from the original?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonists of the novel. What is an antagonist? Who are the antagonists of the novel "Ella Enchanted"? How do they hurt or hinder Ella? Why do they do this?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)