|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Queen Elizabeth confide in Chapter 21 that she hates the idea of marriage more every day?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Prince Alenzon, Queen Elizabeth's French suitor?
3. When the Earl of Essex hides in his house and refuses to answer a summons to appear before the Privy Council, what do Lord Nottingham and Sir Henry Sidney do to get him to come out?
4. Who does the Prince of Orange make the titular head of the lands he offers to Queen Elizabeth when the queen refuses to accept his honor?
5. Who will finance the invasion Mary Stuart anticipates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick any three claimants to Queen Elizabeth's throne other than Mary Stuart from Elizabeth the Great. Discuss the hereditary and other reasons the claimants think they are in line for the English throne, their supporters, and any plots that arise to bring them to the throne in Queen Elizabeth's place. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Queen Elizabeth. What are her strengths? What are her flaws? How do her strengths help her reign and how do her flaws hinder her reign? Does she defy or define the stereotypical image of a woman of her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)