|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What debts does Queen Elizabeth pay off in 1573?
2. Who is the Earl of Essex's mother?
3. What is the Earl of Essex sentenced to for his crime?
4. When the Earl of Essex hides in his house and refuses to answer a summons to appear before the Privy Council, what do Lord Nottingham and Sir Henry Sidney do to get him to come out?
5. Who does the Prince of Orange make the titular head of the lands he offers to Queen Elizabeth when the queen refuses to accept his honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester, from its beginning during her childhood to its end with the earl's death. Discuss Leicester's lingering influence on the queen after his death. Do you think the queen loves Leicester in the romantic sense or strictly as a friend? Do you think Leicester ever loves the queen in the romantic sense? Does he only use her to further his ambition? What factors keep them from marrying? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tragic fate of Mary Stuart. What factors keep her from the Tower for so many years? What factors eventually lead to her beheading? Is Mary a victim of the era in which she lived, or a victim of her own naivety and ineptitude?
Essay Topic 3
Pick any three claimants to Queen Elizabeth's throne other than Mary Stuart from Elizabeth the Great. Discuss the hereditary and other reasons the claimants think they are in line for the English throne, their supporters, and any plots that arise to bring them to the throne in Queen Elizabeth's place. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)