|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lady Lennox as a result of her matchmaking for a youth of royal blood without the Crown's permission?
2. What lands does the Prince of Orange ask Elizabeth to become queen of at the beginning of Chapter 24?
3. What does Sir Thomas Gresham establish in London on Cornhill in 1571?
4. What factors help the English ships defeat the Spanish Armada when Spain tries to invade England?
5. What name does Queen Elizabeth give what Sir Thomas Gresham establishes in London in 1571?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cult that develops in Europe after 1588 exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status with radiant splendor as Diana, or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight. What factors make her seem divine? How does her supposed divine status influence her reign? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious climate in England during Henry VIII's reign. How does it change during King Edward's reign, Mary Tudor's reign, and Queen Elizabeth's reign? Discuss the persecution of heretics, the religious leanings of each monarch, and how both Catholics and Protestants plot to regain power when a monarch who favors the other faith comes to power. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Queen Elizabeth. What are her strengths? What are her flaws? How do her strengths help her reign and how do her flaws hinder her reign? Does she defy or define the stereotypical image of a woman of her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)