|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Francis Drake's pirate ship?
2. Which beloved friend and councilor of Queen Elizabeth's dies at the end of Chapter 25?
3. What does Queen Elizabeth do to combat Catherine de Medici's plans for Mary Stuart?
4. How does Alenzon respond when Queen Elizabeth says she will not marry him after having promised to do so?
5. When the Earl of Oxford mistreats his wife, Ann, to what does Burleigh attribute the younger man's misbehavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Queen Elizabeth's refusal to marry and provide an heir to the throne results in much frustration for her and her advisors, Parliament, and her people. Discuss the queen's perpetual spinsterhood and the advantages and disadvantages it brings to her personally and as a leader. What advantages and disadvantages does her spinsterhood bring to England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cult that develops in Europe after 1588 exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status with radiant splendor as Diana, or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight. What factors make her seem divine? How does her supposed divine status influence her reign? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tragic fate of Mary Stuart. What factors keep her from the Tower for so many years? What factors eventually lead to her beheading? Is Mary a victim of the era in which she lived, or a victim of her own naivety and ineptitude?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)