|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does the Earl of Leicester send Queen Elizabeth on New Year's day in 1580 to distract her from marrying Prince Alenzon?
2. Why does Queen Elizabeth refuse the Prince of Orange's request to become queen of additional lands?
3. Why does Spain attack France in Chapter 27 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>?
4. What name does Queen Elizabeth give what Sir Thomas Gresham establishes in London in 1571?
5. Who entertains Queen Elizabeth at his estate of Kenilworth in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Queen Elizabeth first ascends to the throne her kingdom is poor, but by the time she dies England is wealthy. Discuss what factors help England prosper during Elizabeth's reign including the queen's personal financial policies, the growth of English industries like shipbuilding, and the influence of peace on commerce and trade. Discuss how each of these factors relates directly to the queen and her policies and/or influence. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sir Francis Drake and piracy during the Elizabethan era. What does piracy bring to the English realm? How does Elizabeth feel about it? What affect does piracy have on England's relationship with Spain? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Earl of Essex's relationship with Queen Elizabeth and his rebellion against her in Ireland. What factors contribute to his eventual downfall and sentencing to the Tower?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)