|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alenzon respond when Queen Elizabeth says she will not marry him after having promised to do so?
2. What debts does Queen Elizabeth pay off in 1573?
3. When the Earl of Oxford mistreats his wife, Ann, to what does Burleigh attribute the younger man's misbehavior?
4. Who says the Massacre of St. Bartholomew is the greatest crime since the Crucifixion?
5. What is the Earl of Essex charged with in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Queen Elizabeth. What are her strengths? What are her flaws? How do her strengths help her reign and how do her flaws hinder her reign? Does she defy or define the stereotypical image of a woman of her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cult that develops in Europe after 1588 exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status with radiant splendor as Diana, or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight. What factors make her seem divine? How does her supposed divine status influence her reign? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the reigns of King Henry VIII's three children: King Edward VI, Queen Mary Tudor, and Queen Elizabeth I. Include discussions of religious persecution or tolerance, the prosperity of the realm, and war or peace with other nations during each reign. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)