|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alenzon respond when Queen Elizabeth says she will not marry him after having promised to do so?
2. How long has Queen Elizabeth reigned at 60 years-old?
3. What is the name of Francis Drake's pirate ship?
4. When the Earl of Leicester marries in 1578, what step does his bride's father take to ensure the marriage is legal?
5. What does Sir Thomas Gresham establish in London on Cornhill in 1571?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth's relationship with her half sister, Mary Tudor, to her relationship with her half brother, King Edward VI. Is there any evidence in Elizabeth the Great that Queen Elizabeth felt genuine affection for either sibling or that either sibling felt genuine affection for her? What similarities or differences did the siblings share? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious climate in England during Henry VIII's reign. How does it change during King Edward's reign, Mary Tudor's reign, and Queen Elizabeth's reign? Discuss the persecution of heretics, the religious leanings of each monarch, and how both Catholics and Protestants plot to regain power when a monarch who favors the other faith comes to power. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Pick any three claimants to Queen Elizabeth's throne other than Mary Stuart from Elizabeth the Great. Discuss the hereditary and other reasons the claimants think they are in line for the English throne, their supporters, and any plots that arise to bring them to the throne in Queen Elizabeth's place. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)