|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Catholics massacre Protestants in great numbers in the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
2. Why does Queen Elizabeth refuse the Prince of Orange's request to become queen of additional lands?
3. In addition to anyone who murders Queen Elizabeth, who does the Bond of Associate bind Queen Elizabeth's Privy Council to pursue to death?
4. When a comet appears over London, what do many people believe it heralds?
5. Who does Catherine de Medici propose as a husband for Mary Stuart in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Queen Elizabeth. What are her strengths? What are her flaws? How do her strengths help her reign and how do her flaws hinder her reign? Does she defy or define the stereotypical image of a woman of her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sir Francis Drake and piracy during the Elizabethan era. What does piracy bring to the English realm? How does Elizabeth feel about it? What affect does piracy have on England's relationship with Spain? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)