|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical ailment on Queen Elizabeth's leg heals in 1578?
2. What is the Earl of Essex charged with in Chapter 29?
3. Which of the following is not a sign of Queen Elizabeth's advancing age?
4. When Mary Stuart writes Queen Elizabeth in Chapter 22, who does she blame for the gossip about her?
5. What is the Babington plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
When Queen Elizabeth first ascends to the throne her kingdom is poor, but by the time she dies England is wealthy. Discuss what factors help England prosper during Elizabeth's reign including the queen's personal financial policies, the growth of English industries like shipbuilding, and the influence of peace on commerce and trade. Discuss how each of these factors relates directly to the queen and her policies and/or influence. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tragic fate of Mary Stuart. What factors keep her from the Tower for so many years? What factors eventually lead to her beheading? Is Mary a victim of the era in which she lived, or a victim of her own naivety and ineptitude?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)