|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a comet appears over London, what do many people believe it heralds?
2. What is the Earl of Essex sentenced to for his crime?
3. What is Queen Elizabeth doing while the Earl of Essex's sentence is carried out?
4. When Alenzon and his ambassador are walking with Queen Elizabeth, what actions of the queen indicate her intent to marry Alenzon?
5. In Chapter 26, what are Queen Elizabeth's new young advisors interested in instead of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all of King Henry VIII's children, Queen Elizabeth is said to be most like him. Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth with her father. In what ways is Elizabeth like her father, and in what ways is she unlike her father? Are her similarities to Henry VIII advantages or disadvantages in her reign of England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tragic fate of Mary Stuart. What factors keep her from the Tower for so many years? What factors eventually lead to her beheading? Is Mary a victim of the era in which she lived, or a victim of her own naivety and ineptitude?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)