|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Queen Elizabeth ascribe her safety despite so many plots to kill her?
2. What invasion is Mary Stuart anticipating at the beginning of Chapter 22?
3. When Queen Elizabeth is 54 years-old, how old is Robert Devereux, the Earl of Essex?
4. What is the Earl of Essex sentenced to for his crime?
5. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ambition is one of the themes in Elizabeth the Great. Discuss how the theme of ambition is illustrated in each of the following characters' lives: Robert Devereux, the Earl of Essex; Thomas Seymour, the Lord High Admiral; and Edward Seymour the Duke of Somerset. What do you think the author is trying to say about ambition through how she depicts these characters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Queen Elizabeth. What are her strengths? What are her flaws? How do her strengths help her reign and how do her flaws hinder her reign? Does she defy or define the stereotypical image of a woman of her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth's relationship with her half sister, Mary Tudor, to her relationship with her half brother, King Edward VI. Is there any evidence in Elizabeth the Great that Queen Elizabeth felt genuine affection for either sibling or that either sibling felt genuine affection for her? What similarities or differences did the siblings share? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)