|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skin disease has been thought from the time of Edward the Confessor to be curable by the sovereign's touch?
2. When Queen Elizabeth has an abscessed tooth but fears to have her tooth pulled, what convinces her to consent to have the procedure done?
3. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the treasure Francis Drake brings home from Spanish ships his pirates have looted?
4. How old is Queen Elizabeth when she dies?
5. When Queen Elizabeth sends the Earl of Essex to Ireland with orders to attack the Irish rebel Tyrone, what does the earl do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ambition is one of the themes in Elizabeth the Great. Discuss how the theme of ambition is illustrated in each of the following characters' lives: Robert Devereux, the Earl of Essex; Thomas Seymour, the Lord High Admiral; and Edward Seymour the Duke of Somerset. What do you think the author is trying to say about ambition through how she depicts these characters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Earl of Essex's relationship with Queen Elizabeth and his rebellion against her in Ireland. What factors contribute to his eventual downfall and sentencing to the Tower?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cult that develops in Europe after 1588 exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status with radiant splendor as Diana, or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight. What factors make her seem divine? How does her supposed divine status influence her reign? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)