|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Queen Elizabeth do to combat Catherine de Medici's plans for Mary Stuart?
2. Who does Queen Elizabeth name as her successor?
3. What lands does the Prince of Orange ask Elizabeth to become queen of at the beginning of Chapter 24?
4. Who does Lady Lennox arrange a marriage with for her son Lord Charles Stuart, a claimant to the English throne?
5. Why does Spain attack France in Chapter 27 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three of the following advisors to Queen Elizabeth: William Cecil, Sir Francis Walsingham, Robert Cecil, and Roger Bacon. What religion is each man and how does his religion influence his advising of the queen? Do the queen's advisors during her youth have a different relationship with her than her advisors during her later years? What advantages and disadvantages does being an advisor to the queen bring each man? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Queen Elizabeth. What are her strengths? What are her flaws? How do her strengths help her reign and how do her flaws hinder her reign? Does she defy or define the stereotypical image of a woman of her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Queen Elizabeth's refusal to marry and provide an heir to the throne results in much frustration for her and her advisors, Parliament, and her people. Discuss the queen's perpetual spinsterhood and the advantages and disadvantages it brings to her personally and as a leader. What advantages and disadvantages does her spinsterhood bring to England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)