|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lord Burleigh's son-in-law, the Earl of Oxford, become angry with Lord Burleigh in Chapter 17?
2. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
3. In Chapter 23, how long are all Jesuits and seminary priests and all those who entered the Catholic priesthood since 1559 given to leave England?
4. Which beloved friend and councilor of Queen Elizabeth's dies at the end of Chapter 25?
5. What is Queen Elizabeth supposed to be able to cure by prayer and touch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss England's relationship with Spain during Queen Elizabeth's reign. How might each country benefit if Elizabeth marries King Philip of Spain? What factors make the two countries potential allies and what factors make the two countries potential enemies? How does their relationship change over the course of Queen Elizabeth's long reign? What factors contribute to England's defeat of the Spanish Armada? What would an alliance between these two countries through the queen's marriage mean to each country's relationship with France? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester, from its beginning during her childhood to its end with the earl's death. Discuss Leicester's lingering influence on the queen after his death. Do you think the queen loves Leicester in the romantic sense or strictly as a friend? Do you think Leicester ever loves the queen in the romantic sense? Does he only use her to further his ambition? What factors keep them from marrying? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)