Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what country does the king of France threaten to ally if Queen Elizabeth does not marry Alenzon?
2. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
3. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction to the death of her friend and councilor at the end of Chapter 25?
4. What skin disease has been thought from the time of Edward the Confessor to be curable by the sovereign's touch?
5. When Queen Elizabeth is 40 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
Essay Topic 1
Ambition is one of the themes in Elizabeth the Great. Discuss how the theme of ambition is illustrated in each of the following characters' lives: Robert Devereux, the Earl of Essex; Thomas Seymour, the Lord High Admiral; and Edward Seymour the Duke of Somerset. What do you think the author is trying to say about ambition through how she depicts these characters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Queen Elizabeth. What are her strengths? What are her flaws? How do her strengths help her reign and how do her flaws hinder her reign? Does she defy or define the stereotypical image of a woman of her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)