Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what country does the king of France threaten to ally if Queen Elizabeth does not marry Alenzon?
2. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
3. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction to the death of her friend and councilor at the end of Chapter 25?
4. What skin disease has been thought from the time of Edward the Confessor to be curable by the sovereign's touch?
5. When Queen Elizabeth is 40 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cult that develops in Europe after 1588 exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status with radiant splendor as Diana, or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight. What factors make her seem divine? How does her supposed divine status influence her reign? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Queen Elizabeth's mother Ann Boleyn dies when Elizabeth is just three years old. Compare and contrast the mother figures in Queen Elizabeth's life such as Catherine Howard, Catherine Parr, Kat Ashley, and Lady Tyrwhitt. Discuss how their mothering and the lack of her birth mother's nurturing affects Queen Elizabeth's life. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss England's relationship with Spain during Queen Elizabeth's reign. How might each country benefit if Elizabeth marries King Philip of Spain? What factors make the two countries potential allies and what factors make the two countries potential enemies? How does their relationship change over the course of Queen Elizabeth's long reign? What factors contribute to England's defeat of the Spanish Armada? What would an alliance between these two countries through the queen's marriage mean to each country's relationship with France? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)