|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What number has Essex's army of 16,000 men been reduced to due to his ineptitude?
2. How does the Pope respond when two English noblemen ask if assassinating Queen Elizabeth is a sin?
3. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
4. When the Earl of Oxford mistreats his wife, Ann, to what does Burleigh attribute the younger man's misbehavior?
5. What happens to the Duke of Norfolk at the end of Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Queen Elizabeth's mother Ann Boleyn dies when Elizabeth is just three years old. Compare and contrast the mother figures in Queen Elizabeth's life such as Catherine Howard, Catherine Parr, Kat Ashley, and Lady Tyrwhitt. Discuss how their mothering and the lack of her birth mother's nurturing affects Queen Elizabeth's life. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Of all of King Henry VIII's children, Queen Elizabeth is said to be most like him. Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth with her father. In what ways is Elizabeth like her father, and in what ways is she unlike her father? Are her similarities to Henry VIII advantages or disadvantages in her reign of England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss England's relationship with Spain during Queen Elizabeth's reign. How might each country benefit if Elizabeth marries King Philip of Spain? What factors make the two countries potential allies and what factors make the two countries potential enemies? How does their relationship change over the course of Queen Elizabeth's long reign? What factors contribute to England's defeat of the Spanish Armada? What would an alliance between these two countries through the queen's marriage mean to each country's relationship with France? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)