|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Earl of Essex sentenced to for his crime?
2. When the Church of England is criticized for appointing incompetent clergy, which of the following is not the kind of man Queen Elizabeth advises the bishops to appoint?
3. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
4. In Chapter 23, how long are all Jesuits and seminary priests and all those who entered the Catholic priesthood since 1559 given to leave England?
5. Who does Lady Lennox arrange a marriage with for her son Lord Charles Stuart, a claimant to the English throne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Queen Elizabeth. What are her strengths? What are her flaws? How do her strengths help her reign and how do her flaws hinder her reign? Does she defy or define the stereotypical image of a woman of her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Queen Elizabeth's refusal to marry and provide an heir to the throne results in much frustration for her and her advisors, Parliament, and her people. Discuss the queen's perpetual spinsterhood and the advantages and disadvantages it brings to her personally and as a leader. What advantages and disadvantages does her spinsterhood bring to England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)