|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is assassinated in 1584?
2. Who marries Lord Sheffield's widow four days before she gives birth to his son?
3. In Chapter 23, how long are all Jesuits and seminary priests and all those who entered the Catholic priesthood since 1559 given to leave England?
4. When Queen Elizabeth is 54 years-old, how old is Robert Devereux, the Earl of Essex?
5. Where do Catholics massacre Protestants in great numbers in the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Queen Elizabeth's refusal to marry and provide an heir to the throne results in much frustration for her and her advisors, Parliament, and her people. Discuss the queen's perpetual spinsterhood and the advantages and disadvantages it brings to her personally and as a leader. What advantages and disadvantages does her spinsterhood bring to England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Queen Elizabeth's mother Ann Boleyn dies when Elizabeth is just three years old. Compare and contrast the mother figures in Queen Elizabeth's life such as Catherine Howard, Catherine Parr, Kat Ashley, and Lady Tyrwhitt. Discuss how their mothering and the lack of her birth mother's nurturing affects Queen Elizabeth's life. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Pick any three claimants to Queen Elizabeth's throne other than Mary Stuart from Elizabeth the Great. Discuss the hereditary and other reasons the claimants think they are in line for the English throne, their supporters, and any plots that arise to bring them to the throne in Queen Elizabeth's place. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)