|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is murdered in the presence of the pregnant Mary Stuart?
2. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
3. Where does the author say she gets her information about the queen from?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
5. What does the author say hair is washed with during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Catherine Grey's pregnancy so upsetting to Queen Elizabeth?
2. Why is Queen Elizabeth reluctant to behead Mary Stuart?
3. Discuss the Earl of Essex's relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
4. Although some historians have written that Queen Elizabeth was bald, the author of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i> does not think Elizabeth was bald. What are some of her reasons for thinking that the queen kept her natural hair throughout her life?
5. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's coronation. How do the people of England accept her at the beginning of her reign?
6. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
7. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's response to criticism of the Anglican Church for appointing incompetent clergy.
8. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
9. Why does Queen Elizabeth encourage rather than discourage Francis Drake's piracy?
10. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's bout with smallpox and what fear her illness arouses in her councilors.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three of the following advisors to Queen Elizabeth: William Cecil, Sir Francis Walsingham, Robert Cecil, and Roger Bacon. What religion is each man and how does his religion influence his advising of the queen? Do the queen's advisors during her youth have a different relationship with her than her advisors during her later years? What advantages and disadvantages does being an advisor to the queen bring each man? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth's relationship with her half sister, Mary Tudor, to her relationship with her half brother, King Edward VI. Is there any evidence in Elizabeth the Great that Queen Elizabeth felt genuine affection for either sibling or that either sibling felt genuine affection for her? What similarities or differences did the siblings share? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth and Mary Stuart. Discuss their appeal to men, their romances, their politics, their leadership ability, and their popularity with their own people. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)