|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Earl of Leicester tell the French ambassador that Queen Elizabeth said about marriage when she was eight years-old?
2. What Catholic does William Cecil think will ascend to the throne and revive Catholicism in England if the Protestant Queen Elizabeth dies without a child?
3. To whom is Queen Mary Tudor engaged soon after her ascension to the throne?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the effect the book's focus has on the book's shape?
5. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors help the English prevail over the Spanish Armada?
2. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
3. Who is Dr. Dee and why does Queen Elizabeth want to see his speculum of magic glass?
4. As Queen Elizabeth ages and her old advisors die and are replaced, what kind of man is the queen most fond of and does this fondness differ from the kind of men she was fond of in her youth?
5. What is the order of succession for Henry VIII's three children after his death? What makes Elizabeth's legitimacy come into question?
6. Explain how Queen Elizabeth's payment of the debts owed the City of London by King Henry VIII and King Edward VI increase her popularity with her people.
7. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
8. Why does the Duke of Anjou not want to marry Queen Elizabeth when his parents suggest the match?
9. What is the author's intention in writing <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>? How does her intention affect the shape of the book?
10. What does Leicester's secret marriage to Lord Sheffield's widow indicate about his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious climate in England during Henry VIII's reign. How does it change during King Edward's reign, Mary Tudor's reign, and Queen Elizabeth's reign? Discuss the persecution of heretics, the religious leanings of each monarch, and how both Catholics and Protestants plot to regain power when a monarch who favors the other faith comes to power. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Of all of King Henry VIII's children, Queen Elizabeth is said to be most like him. Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth with her father. In what ways is Elizabeth like her father, and in what ways is she unlike her father? Are her similarities to Henry VIII advantages or disadvantages in her reign of England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth and Mary Stuart. Discuss their appeal to men, their romances, their politics, their leadership ability, and their popularity with their own people. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)