|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
2. Why does Queen Elizabeth hesitate to take a more active part in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland?
3. Which of the following is not an action Sir William Cecil advises Queen Elizabeth to take to reduce the danger of Mary Stuart seizing the English throne?
4. Who shows over familiarity with the queen by taking her napkin out of her hand to wipe his sweaty face during a tennis game?
5. If Mary Stuart agrees to accept the husband Queen Elizabeth suggests for her, what might Elizabeth consent to do for Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's coronation. How do the people of England accept her at the beginning of her reign?
2. Describe Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley at the beginning of her reign.
3. What luxuries does the prosperity of peace under Queen Elizabeth bring to the English people and how does the queen's home reflect this luxury?
4. Discuss the Earl of Essex's failures in Ireland.
5. What is Elizabeth like at age 25 when she first becomes queen?
6. Why is Queen Elizabeth reluctant to behead Mary Stuart?
7. What folly does Queen Elizabeth's cousin, Mary Grey, commit? What previous examples in her own family should have taught her not to take this step?
8. What makes Parliament break out into fistfights and how does Queen Elizabeth temporarily resolve the issue?
9. Why is the murder of Rizzio, the Italian advisor to Mary Stuart, important?
10. By the time Queen Elizabeth is 60 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cult that develops in Europe after 1588 exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status with radiant splendor as Diana, or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight. What factors make her seem divine? How does her supposed divine status influence her reign? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss England's relationship with France during Queen Elizabeth's reign. How would each country benefit if Elizabeth marries one of her French suitors? What factors make the two countries potential allies and what factors make the two countries potential enemies? How does their relationship change over the course of Elizabeth's long reign? What would an alliance between these two countries through the queen's marriage mean to each country's relationship with Spain? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When Queen Elizabeth first ascends to the throne her kingdom is poor, but by the time she dies England is wealthy. Discuss what factors help England prosper during Elizabeth's reign including the queen's personal financial policies, the growth of English industries like shipbuilding, and the influence of peace on commerce and trade. Discuss how each of these factors relates directly to the queen and her policies and/or influence. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 2,306 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)