|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
2. Where does the author say she gets her information about the queen from?
3. Who does the Spanish Ambassador Don Gerau de Spies plot to marry to Mary Stuart to restore Catholicism to England?
4. Which of the following is not an action Sir William Cecil advises Queen Elizabeth to take to reduce the danger of Mary Stuart seizing the English throne?
5. Who promotes Lord Darnley as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's bout with smallpox and what fear her illness arouses in her councilors.
2. Why does Mary Stuart consider herself queen of England instead of Elizabeth?
3. Although some historians have written that Queen Elizabeth was bald, the author of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i> does not think Elizabeth was bald. What are some of her reasons for thinking that the queen kept her natural hair throughout her life?
4. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's response to criticism of the Anglican Church for appointing incompetent clergy.
5. Discuss how Lord Darnley becomes king of Scotland and what the Protestant Lords of Scotland feel about his elevated role.
6. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
7. Explain why Queen Elizabeth refuses to become Queen of Holland, Zeeland, and Utrecht when offered the title.
8. Why is Queen Elizabeth reluctant to behead Mary Stuart?
9. What luxuries does the prosperity of peace under Queen Elizabeth bring to the English people and how does the queen's home reflect this luxury?
10. When she breaks her promise to marry him, how does Queen Elizabeth gratify Prince Alenzon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cult that develops in Europe after 1588 exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status with radiant splendor as Diana, or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight. What factors make her seem divine? How does her supposed divine status influence her reign? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Pick any three claimants to Queen Elizabeth's throne other than Mary Stuart from Elizabeth the Great. Discuss the hereditary and other reasons the claimants think they are in line for the English throne, their supporters, and any plots that arise to bring them to the throne in Queen Elizabeth's place. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss England's relationship with Spain during Queen Elizabeth's reign. How might each country benefit if Elizabeth marries King Philip of Spain? What factors make the two countries potential allies and what factors make the two countries potential enemies? How does their relationship change over the course of Queen Elizabeth's long reign? What factors contribute to England's defeat of the Spanish Armada? What would an alliance between these two countries through the queen's marriage mean to each country's relationship with France? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)