|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction, on what does the book focus?
2. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
3. The Scottish Lords expect to find English Catholics waiting to rise and overthrow Elizabeth's government with them, but what do they find instead?
4. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
5. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward Catholicism and religious tolerance.
2. What does Queen Elizabeth find appealing about Prince Alenzon when he is so physically unattractive? What do her people find so objectionable about him?
3. What is the Bond of Association?
4. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
5. Discuss the plot Spanish ambassador Don Gerau De Spies has to restore England to Catholicism.
6. What luxuries does the prosperity of peace under Queen Elizabeth bring to the English people and how does the queen's home reflect this luxury?
7. Discuss the Earl of Leicester's marriage to Lettice Devereux and its affect on his relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
8. What is the author's intention in writing <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>? How does her intention affect the shape of the book?
9. Explain Wyatt's rebellion. How does it affect Elizabeth?
10. Why are Lady Lennox and Lady Shrewsbury sent to the Tower when their children marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Queen Elizabeth first ascends to the throne her kingdom is poor, but by the time she dies England is wealthy. Discuss what factors help England prosper during Elizabeth's reign including the queen's personal financial policies, the growth of English industries like shipbuilding, and the influence of peace on commerce and trade. Discuss how each of these factors relates directly to the queen and her policies and/or influence. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss England's relationship with France during Queen Elizabeth's reign. How would each country benefit if Elizabeth marries one of her French suitors? What factors make the two countries potential allies and what factors make the two countries potential enemies? How does their relationship change over the course of Elizabeth's long reign? What would an alliance between these two countries through the queen's marriage mean to each country's relationship with Spain? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cult that develops in Europe after 1588 exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status with radiant splendor as Diana, or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight. What factors make her seem divine? How does her supposed divine status influence her reign? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)