Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Amy Dudley is found at the bottom of a staircase with a broken neck, who is immediately suspected of murdering her?
2. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
3. Who agrees to be the godmother to the infant son of Mary Stuart?
4. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
5. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens to Amy Dudley and the gossip that arises about Lord Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth after her death.
2. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
3. What folly does Queen Elizabeth's cousin, Mary Grey, commit? What previous examples in her own family should have taught her not to take this step?
4. Discuss the plot of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, and Duke of Northumberland, to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne after King Edward VI dies.
5. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
6. As Queen Elizabeth ages and her old advisors die and are replaced, what kind of man is the queen most fond of and does this fondness differ from the kind of men she was fond of in her youth?
7. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
8. How does Queen Elizabeth sidestep the issue of marrying when Parliament raises it?
9. By the time Queen Elizabeth is 60 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
10. Why does Mary Stuart consider herself queen of England instead of Elizabeth?
Essay Topic 1
Of all of King Henry VIII's children, Queen Elizabeth is said to be most like him. Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth with her father. In what ways is Elizabeth like her father, and in what ways is she unlike her father? Are her similarities to Henry VIII advantages or disadvantages in her reign of England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth and Mary Stuart. Discuss their appeal to men, their romances, their politics, their leadership ability, and their popularity with their own people. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)