|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. How does Queen Elizabeth revive the Royal Navy?
3. Who is murdered in the presence of the pregnant Mary Stuart?
4. During her era, what is unusual about the way Queen Elizabeth bathes?
5. Which of the following is not an action Sir William Cecil advises Queen Elizabeth to take to reduce the danger of Mary Stuart seizing the English throne?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the time Queen Elizabeth is 60 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
2. Why does Queen Elizabeth encourage rather than discourage Francis Drake's piracy?
3. Discuss the Earl of Leicester's marriage to Lettice Devereux and its affect on his relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
4. Discuss how Lord Darnley becomes king of Scotland and what the Protestant Lords of Scotland feel about his elevated role.
5. Explain how Queen Elizabeth's payment of the debts owed the City of London by King Henry VIII and King Edward VI increase her popularity with her people.
6. What factors allow Mary Stuart to engage in perpetual intrigue with France and Spain while she is living in England?
7. What signs are there that Queen Elizabeth is not as strongly influenced by the Earl of Essex as many of her advisors fear?
8. Why is Queen Elizabeth reluctant to behead Mary Stuart?
9. Discuss the plot Spanish ambassador Don Gerau De Spies has to restore England to Catholicism.
10. Why is Queen Elizabeth so upset that she faints when insufficient evidence of treason is found against Norfolk?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious climate in England during Henry VIII's reign. How does it change during King Edward's reign, Mary Tudor's reign, and Queen Elizabeth's reign? Discuss the persecution of heretics, the religious leanings of each monarch, and how both Catholics and Protestants plot to regain power when a monarch who favors the other faith comes to power. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the reigns of King Henry VIII's three children: King Edward VI, Queen Mary Tudor, and Queen Elizabeth I. Include discussions of religious persecution or tolerance, the prosperity of the realm, and war or peace with other nations during each reign. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Queen Elizabeth's mother Ann Boleyn dies when Elizabeth is just three years old. Compare and contrast the mother figures in Queen Elizabeth's life such as Catherine Howard, Catherine Parr, Kat Ashley, and Lady Tyrwhitt. Discuss how their mothering and the lack of her birth mother's nurturing affects Queen Elizabeth's life. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)