|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth ride in through London to Westminster on the Saturday before her coronation?
2. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
3. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
4. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
5. Why does Queen Elizabeth hesitate to take a more active part in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the role of Henry VIII in the establishment of the Church of England.
2. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward the persecution of Catholics in England.
3. What signs are there that Queen Elizabeth is not as strongly influenced by the Earl of Essex as many of her advisors fear?
4. What is Elizabeth's relationship with her brother, King Edward VI, like?
5. What luxuries does the prosperity of peace under Queen Elizabeth bring to the English people and how does the queen's home reflect this luxury?
6. Why are Lady Lennox and Lady Shrewsbury sent to the Tower when their children marry?
7. Explain how Queen Elizabeth's payment of the debts owed the City of London by King Henry VIII and King Edward VI increase her popularity with her people.
8. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's response to criticism of the Anglican Church for appointing incompetent clergy.
9. What is Elizabeth like at age 25 when she first becomes queen?
10. Why is Queen Elizabeth so upset that she faints when insufficient evidence of treason is found against Norfolk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Pick any three claimants to Queen Elizabeth's throne other than Mary Stuart from Elizabeth the Great. Discuss the hereditary and other reasons the claimants think they are in line for the English throne, their supporters, and any plots that arise to bring them to the throne in Queen Elizabeth's place. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss England's relationship with Spain during Queen Elizabeth's reign. How might each country benefit if Elizabeth marries King Philip of Spain? What factors make the two countries potential allies and what factors make the two countries potential enemies? How does their relationship change over the course of Queen Elizabeth's long reign? What factors contribute to England's defeat of the Spanish Armada? What would an alliance between these two countries through the queen's marriage mean to each country's relationship with France? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)