|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes the ruler of England after King Henry VIII's death when Elizabeth is 14 years-old?
2. How long has Queen Elizabeth ruled England at 37 years-old?
3. What colors does Queen Elizabeth tell Spanish ambassador Don Guzman de Silva are her colors?
4. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
5. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Queen Elizabeth so upset that she faints when insufficient evidence of treason is found against Norfolk?
2. What luxuries does the prosperity of peace under Queen Elizabeth bring to the English people and how does the queen's home reflect this luxury?
3. What action does Pope Pius take against the Protestant Elizabeth in 1570 and what effect does it have on Queen Elizabeth's policy of religious tolerance.
4. What is the order of succession for Henry VIII's three children after his death? What makes Elizabeth's legitimacy come into question?
5. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
6. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
7. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's coronation. How do the people of England accept her at the beginning of her reign?
8. What is Elizabeth like at age 25 when she first becomes queen?
9. Why does Queen Elizabeth encourage rather than discourage Francis Drake's piracy?
10. What is the Bond of Association?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three of the following advisors to Queen Elizabeth: William Cecil, Sir Francis Walsingham, Robert Cecil, and Roger Bacon. What religion is each man and how does his religion influence his advising of the queen? Do the queen's advisors during her youth have a different relationship with her than her advisors during her later years? What advantages and disadvantages does being an advisor to the queen bring each man? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester, from its beginning during her childhood to its end with the earl's death. Discuss Leicester's lingering influence on the queen after his death. Do you think the queen loves Leicester in the romantic sense or strictly as a friend? Do you think Leicester ever loves the queen in the romantic sense? Does he only use her to further his ambition? What factors keep them from marrying? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss England's relationship with France during Queen Elizabeth's reign. How would each country benefit if Elizabeth marries one of her French suitors? What factors make the two countries potential allies and what factors make the two countries potential enemies? How does their relationship change over the course of Elizabeth's long reign? What would an alliance between these two countries through the queen's marriage mean to each country's relationship with Spain? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)