|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
2. Who does Elizabeth choose as her Master of the Horse when she first becomes queen?
3. With Spain supporting Mary Stuart and planning to invade England on her behalf, with what country is it important for Queen Elizabeth and England to form an alliance?
4. The Scottish Lords expect to find English Catholics waiting to rise and overthrow Elizabeth's government with them, but what do they find instead?
5. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Queen Elizabeth refuses to become Queen of Holland, Zeeland, and Utrecht when offered the title.
2. Why does Spain want to invade England in 1587?
3. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's coronation. How do the people of England accept her at the beginning of her reign?
4. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward the persecution of Catholics in England.
5. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
6. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's response to criticism of the Anglican Church for appointing incompetent clergy.
7. Why does the Duke of Anjou not want to marry Queen Elizabeth when his parents suggest the match?
8. Why are Lady Lennox and Lady Shrewsbury sent to the Tower when their children marry?
9. What folly does Queen Elizabeth's cousin, Mary Grey, commit? What previous examples in her own family should have taught her not to take this step?
10. Explain the role of Henry VIII in the establishment of the Church of England.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious climate in England during Henry VIII's reign. How does it change during King Edward's reign, Mary Tudor's reign, and Queen Elizabeth's reign? Discuss the persecution of heretics, the religious leanings of each monarch, and how both Catholics and Protestants plot to regain power when a monarch who favors the other faith comes to power. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss England's relationship with France during Queen Elizabeth's reign. How would each country benefit if Elizabeth marries one of her French suitors? What factors make the two countries potential allies and what factors make the two countries potential enemies? How does their relationship change over the course of Elizabeth's long reign? What would an alliance between these two countries through the queen's marriage mean to each country's relationship with Spain? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)