|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author say teeth are cleaned during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
2. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
3. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
4. What religion is Queen Mary Tudor determined to reinstate as England's national religion when she ascends to the throne?
5. What kind of stockings does Mrs. Montagu give Queen Elizabeth in 1560?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leicester's secret marriage to Lord Sheffield's widow indicate about his character?
2. Who is Dr. Dee and why does Queen Elizabeth want to see his speculum of magic glass?
3. Explain how Queen Elizabeth's payment of the debts owed the City of London by King Henry VIII and King Edward VI increase her popularity with her people.
4. What folly does Queen Elizabeth's cousin, Mary Grey, commit? What previous examples in her own family should have taught her not to take this step?
5. Discuss what happens to Amy Dudley and the gossip that arises about Lord Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth after her death.
6. What is the author's intention in writing <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>? How does her intention affect the shape of the book?
7. What is Elizabeth's relationship with her brother, King Edward VI, like?
8. Discuss the plot Spanish ambassador Don Gerau De Spies has to restore England to Catholicism.
9. What luxuries does the prosperity of peace under Queen Elizabeth bring to the English people and how does the queen's home reflect this luxury?
10. Does Queen Elizabeth intend to marry Prince Alenzon or does she use this potential marriage for diplomatic reasons as she does all her other potential marriages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Earl of Essex's relationship with Queen Elizabeth and his rebellion against her in Ireland. What factors contribute to his eventual downfall and sentencing to the Tower?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious climate in England during Henry VIII's reign. How does it change during King Edward's reign, Mary Tudor's reign, and Queen Elizabeth's reign? Discuss the persecution of heretics, the religious leanings of each monarch, and how both Catholics and Protestants plot to regain power when a monarch who favors the other faith comes to power. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Of all of King Henry VIII's children, Queen Elizabeth is said to be most like him. Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth with her father. In what ways is Elizabeth like her father, and in what ways is she unlike her father? Are her similarities to Henry VIII advantages or disadvantages in her reign of England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)