Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Amy Dudley is found at the bottom of a staircase with a broken neck, who is immediately suspected of murdering her?
2. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
3. Who agrees to be the godmother to the infant son of Mary Stuart?
4. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
5. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens to Amy Dudley and the gossip that arises about Lord Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth after her death.
2. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
3. What folly does Queen Elizabeth's cousin, Mary Grey, commit? What previous examples in her own family should have taught her not to take this step?
4. Discuss the plot of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, and Duke of Northumberland, to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne after King Edward VI dies.
5. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
6. As Queen Elizabeth ages and her old advisors die and are replaced, what kind of man is the queen most fond of and does this fondness differ from the kind of men she was fond of in her youth?
7. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
8. How does Queen Elizabeth sidestep the issue of marrying when Parliament raises it?
9. By the time Queen Elizabeth is 60 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
10. Why does Mary Stuart consider herself queen of England instead of Elizabeth?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cult that develops in Europe after 1588 exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status with radiant splendor as Diana, or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight. What factors make her seem divine? How does her supposed divine status influence her reign? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester, from its beginning during her childhood to its end with the earl's death. Discuss Leicester's lingering influence on the queen after his death. Do you think the queen loves Leicester in the romantic sense or strictly as a friend? Do you think Leicester ever loves the queen in the romantic sense? Does he only use her to further his ambition? What factors keep them from marrying? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Earl of Essex's relationship with Queen Elizabeth and his rebellion against her in Ireland. What factors contribute to his eventual downfall and sentencing to the Tower?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)