|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Catholic does William Cecil think will ascend to the throne and revive Catholicism in England if the Protestant Queen Elizabeth dies without a child?
2. If Mary Stuart agrees to accept the husband Queen Elizabeth suggests for her, what might Elizabeth consent to do for Mary?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
4. Who marries his son to Lady Jane Grey because of her place in the line of succession to the throne of England?
5. With Spain supporting Mary Stuart and planning to invade England on her behalf, with what country is it important for Queen Elizabeth and England to form an alliance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward the persecution of Catholics in England.
2. Why does Mary Stuart consider herself queen of England instead of Elizabeth?
3. Describe Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley at the beginning of her reign.
4. What signs are there that Queen Elizabeth is not as strongly influenced by the Earl of Essex as many of her advisors fear?
5. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
6. Why are Lady Lennox and Lady Shrewsbury sent to the Tower when their children marry?
7. Why does Queen Elizabeth encourage rather than discourage Francis Drake's piracy?
8. What does Queen Elizabeth find appealing about Prince Alenzon when he is so physically unattractive? What do her people find so objectionable about him?
9. Why is the murder of Rizzio, the Italian advisor to Mary Stuart, important?
10. What is the order of succession for Henry VIII's three children after his death? What makes Elizabeth's legitimacy come into question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Queen Elizabeth first ascends to the throne her kingdom is poor, but by the time she dies England is wealthy. Discuss what factors help England prosper during Elizabeth's reign including the queen's personal financial policies, the growth of English industries like shipbuilding, and the influence of peace on commerce and trade. Discuss how each of these factors relates directly to the queen and her policies and/or influence. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious climate in England during Henry VIII's reign. How does it change during King Edward's reign, Mary Tudor's reign, and Queen Elizabeth's reign? Discuss the persecution of heretics, the religious leanings of each monarch, and how both Catholics and Protestants plot to regain power when a monarch who favors the other faith comes to power. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Queen Elizabeth's refusal to marry and provide an heir to the throne results in much frustration for her and her advisors, Parliament, and her people. Discuss the queen's perpetual spinsterhood and the advantages and disadvantages it brings to her personally and as a leader. What advantages and disadvantages does her spinsterhood bring to England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)