|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
2. How do others see Lord Darnley?
3. What powerful country supports the marriage of Mary Stuart to Darnley?
4. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
5. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's response to criticism of the Anglican Church for appointing incompetent clergy.
2. Discuss the Earl of Essex's failures in Ireland.
3. Why does the Duke of Anjou not want to marry Queen Elizabeth when his parents suggest the match?
4. Explain how Queen Elizabeth's payment of the debts owed the City of London by King Henry VIII and King Edward VI increase her popularity with her people.
5. Discuss the downfall of Mary Stuart after her involvement with the Earl of Bothwell. How does it lead to her forced abdication of her throne?
6. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
7. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward the persecution of Catholics in England.
8. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's coronation. How do the people of England accept her at the beginning of her reign?
9. Why is Queen Elizabeth so upset that she faints when insufficient evidence of treason is found against Norfolk?
10. Discuss the plot of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, and Duke of Northumberland, to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne after King Edward VI dies.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cult that develops in Europe after 1588 exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status with radiant splendor as Diana, or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight. What factors make her seem divine? How does her supposed divine status influence her reign? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
When Queen Elizabeth first ascends to the throne her kingdom is poor, but by the time she dies England is wealthy. Discuss what factors help England prosper during Elizabeth's reign including the queen's personal financial policies, the growth of English industries like shipbuilding, and the influence of peace on commerce and trade. Discuss how each of these factors relates directly to the queen and her policies and/or influence. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast any three of the following advisors to Queen Elizabeth: William Cecil, Sir Francis Walsingham, Robert Cecil, and Roger Bacon. What religion is each man and how does his religion influence his advising of the queen? Do the queen's advisors during her youth have a different relationship with her than her advisors during her later years? What advantages and disadvantages does being an advisor to the queen bring each man? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 2,438 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)