|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Amy Dudley is found at the bottom of a staircase with a broken neck, who is immediately suspected of murdering her?
2. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
3. Who agrees to be the godmother to the infant son of Mary Stuart?
4. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
5. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens to Amy Dudley and the gossip that arises about Lord Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth after her death.
2. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
3. What folly does Queen Elizabeth's cousin, Mary Grey, commit? What previous examples in her own family should have taught her not to take this step?
4. Discuss the plot of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, and Duke of Northumberland, to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne after King Edward VI dies.
5. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
6. As Queen Elizabeth ages and her old advisors die and are replaced, what kind of man is the queen most fond of and does this fondness differ from the kind of men she was fond of in her youth?
7. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
8. How does Queen Elizabeth sidestep the issue of marrying when Parliament raises it?
9. By the time Queen Elizabeth is 60 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
10. Why does Mary Stuart consider herself queen of England instead of Elizabeth?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Queen Elizabeth. What are her strengths? What are her flaws? How do her strengths help her reign and how do her flaws hinder her reign? Does she defy or define the stereotypical image of a woman of her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
When Queen Elizabeth first ascends to the throne her kingdom is poor, but by the time she dies England is wealthy. Discuss what factors help England prosper during Elizabeth's reign including the queen's personal financial policies, the growth of English industries like shipbuilding, and the influence of peace on commerce and trade. Discuss how each of these factors relates directly to the queen and her policies and/or influence. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Of all of King Henry VIII's children, Queen Elizabeth is said to be most like him. Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth with her father. In what ways is Elizabeth like her father, and in what ways is she unlike her father? Are her similarities to Henry VIII advantages or disadvantages in her reign of England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 2,299 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)