|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe an effect the pope's actions against Queen Elizabeth have on English Catholics?
2. Who is Princess Elizabeth's mother?
3. What religion is Queen Mary Tudor determined to reinstate as England's national religion when she ascends to the throne?
4. How do Scotland's Protestant Lords deal with Lord Darnley?
5. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the downfall of Mary Stuart after her involvement with the Earl of Bothwell. How does it lead to her forced abdication of her throne?
2. Discuss the plot of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, and Duke of Northumberland, to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne after King Edward VI dies.
3. Why is Queen Elizabeth reluctant to behead Mary Stuart?
4. Describe Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley at the beginning of her reign.
5. How does Queen Elizabeth sidestep the issue of marrying when Parliament raises it?
6. Discuss what happens to Amy Dudley and the gossip that arises about Lord Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth after her death.
7. Although some historians have written that Queen Elizabeth was bald, the author of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i> does not think Elizabeth was bald. What are some of her reasons for thinking that the queen kept her natural hair throughout her life?
8. What factors help the English prevail over the Spanish Armada?
9. Discuss the Earl of Leicester's marriage to Lettice Devereux and its affect on his relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
10. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester, from its beginning during her childhood to its end with the earl's death. Discuss Leicester's lingering influence on the queen after his death. Do you think the queen loves Leicester in the romantic sense or strictly as a friend? Do you think Leicester ever loves the queen in the romantic sense? Does he only use her to further his ambition? What factors keep them from marrying? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Pick any three claimants to Queen Elizabeth's throne other than Mary Stuart from Elizabeth the Great. Discuss the hereditary and other reasons the claimants think they are in line for the English throne, their supporters, and any plots that arise to bring them to the throne in Queen Elizabeth's place. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss England's relationship with France during Queen Elizabeth's reign. How would each country benefit if Elizabeth marries one of her French suitors? What factors make the two countries potential allies and what factors make the two countries potential enemies? How does their relationship change over the course of Elizabeth's long reign? What would an alliance between these two countries through the queen's marriage mean to each country's relationship with Spain? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,543 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)