|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
2. What does the author say hair is washed with during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
3. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
4. What keeps Queen Elizabeth's complexion so white?
5. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What luxuries does the prosperity of peace under Queen Elizabeth bring to the English people and how does the queen's home reflect this luxury?
2. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
3. Why are Lady Lennox and Lady Shrewsbury sent to the Tower when their children marry?
4. Describe Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley at the beginning of her reign.
5. Explain how Queen Elizabeth's payment of the debts owed the City of London by King Henry VIII and King Edward VI increase her popularity with her people.
6. What is Elizabeth's relationship with her brother, King Edward VI, like?
7. Why is Queen Elizabeth reluctant to behead Mary Stuart?
8. Discuss the role Thomas Seymour plays in English government once his nephew Edward becomes king of England and the role he hopes to play through his influence on Elizabeth.
9. Although some historians have written that Queen Elizabeth was bald, the author of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i> does not think Elizabeth was bald. What are some of her reasons for thinking that the queen kept her natural hair throughout her life?
10. What factors lead to Mary Stuart's trial and execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Queen Elizabeth first ascends to the throne her kingdom is poor, but by the time she dies England is wealthy. Discuss what factors help England prosper during Elizabeth's reign including the queen's personal financial policies, the growth of English industries like shipbuilding, and the influence of peace on commerce and trade. Discuss how each of these factors relates directly to the queen and her policies and/or influence. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Earl of Essex's relationship with Queen Elizabeth and his rebellion against her in Ireland. What factors contribute to his eventual downfall and sentencing to the Tower?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)