|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Catherine Parr encourage Princess Elizabeth and Prince Edward to study?
2. How many people attend the state banquet in Westminster hall to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
3. Which of the following is not an action Sir William Cecil advises Queen Elizabeth to take to reduce the danger of Mary Stuart seizing the English throne?
4. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
5. What happens when Mary Stuart desires to return to Scotland through England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elizabeth like at age 25 when she first becomes queen?
2. Although some historians have written that Queen Elizabeth was bald, the author of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i> does not think Elizabeth was bald. What are some of her reasons for thinking that the queen kept her natural hair throughout her life?
3. When she breaks her promise to marry him, how does Queen Elizabeth gratify Prince Alenzon?
4. What makes Parliament break out into fistfights and how does Queen Elizabeth temporarily resolve the issue?
5. Discuss how Lord Darnley becomes king of Scotland and what the Protestant Lords of Scotland feel about his elevated role.
6. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
7. Why is Queen Elizabeth so upset that she faints when insufficient evidence of treason is found against Norfolk?
8. Discuss the Earl of Essex's relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
9. Why does the Duke of Anjou not want to marry Queen Elizabeth when his parents suggest the match?
10. Explain how Queen Elizabeth's payment of the debts owed the City of London by King Henry VIII and King Edward VI increase her popularity with her people.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the reigns of King Henry VIII's three children: King Edward VI, Queen Mary Tudor, and Queen Elizabeth I. Include discussions of religious persecution or tolerance, the prosperity of the realm, and war or peace with other nations during each reign. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Of all of King Henry VIII's children, Queen Elizabeth is said to be most like him. Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth with her father. In what ways is Elizabeth like her father, and in what ways is she unlike her father? Are her similarities to Henry VIII advantages or disadvantages in her reign of England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sir Francis Drake and piracy during the Elizabethan era. What does piracy bring to the English realm? How does Elizabeth feel about it? What affect does piracy have on England's relationship with Spain? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)