|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an action Sir William Cecil advises Queen Elizabeth to take to reduce the danger of Mary Stuart seizing the English throne?
2. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
3. How long has Queen Elizabeth ruled England at 37 years-old?
4. Who agrees to be the godmother to the infant son of Mary Stuart?
5. How does Queen Elizabeth revive the Royal Navy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does Pope Pius take against the Protestant Elizabeth in 1570 and what effect does it have on Queen Elizabeth's policy of religious tolerance.
2. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward the persecution of Catholics in England.
3. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
4. What does the fact that she is playing the virginals when the Earl of Essex is executed indicate about Queen Elizabeth's feelings for Essex?
5. What implications does the Massacre of St. Bartholomew have for England and Queen Elizabeth?
6. Discuss the plot Spanish ambassador Don Gerau De Spies has to restore England to Catholicism.
7. When she breaks her promise to marry him, how does Queen Elizabeth gratify Prince Alenzon?
8. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
9. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's seizing of Spanish gold chests and the retaliation against England by Spain.
10. Discuss the plot of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, and Duke of Northumberland, to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne after King Edward VI dies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious climate in England during Henry VIII's reign. How does it change during King Edward's reign, Mary Tudor's reign, and Queen Elizabeth's reign? Discuss the persecution of heretics, the religious leanings of each monarch, and how both Catholics and Protestants plot to regain power when a monarch who favors the other faith comes to power. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Queen Elizabeth. What are her strengths? What are her flaws? How do her strengths help her reign and how do her flaws hinder her reign? Does she defy or define the stereotypical image of a woman of her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the reigns of King Henry VIII's three children: King Edward VI, Queen Mary Tudor, and Queen Elizabeth I. Include discussions of religious persecution or tolerance, the prosperity of the realm, and war or peace with other nations during each reign. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)