|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is King Henry VIII's relationship to Lady Jane Grey?
2. What powerful country supports the marriage of Mary Stuart to Darnley?
3. Who does the Spanish Ambassador Don Gerau de Spies plot to marry to Mary Stuart to restore Catholicism to England?
4. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the cargo of the Spanish ships?
5. Who promotes Lord Darnley as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What luxuries does the prosperity of peace under Queen Elizabeth bring to the English people and how does the queen's home reflect this luxury?
2. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward the persecution of Catholics in England.
3. Discuss the Earl of Essex's failures in Ireland.
4. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
5. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
6. What is Elizabeth like at age 25 when she first becomes queen?
7. By the time Queen Elizabeth is 60 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
8. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's bout with smallpox and what fear her illness arouses in her councilors.
9. What is the author's intention in writing <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>? How does her intention affect the shape of the book?
10. Discuss the downfall of Mary Stuart after her involvement with the Earl of Bothwell. How does it lead to her forced abdication of her throne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all of King Henry VIII's children, Queen Elizabeth is said to be most like him. Compare and contrast Queen Elizabeth with her father. In what ways is Elizabeth like her father, and in what ways is she unlike her father? Are her similarities to Henry VIII advantages or disadvantages in her reign of England? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sir Francis Drake and piracy during the Elizabethan era. What does piracy bring to the English realm? How does Elizabeth feel about it? What affect does piracy have on England's relationship with Spain? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Pick any three claimants to Queen Elizabeth's throne other than Mary Stuart from Elizabeth the Great. Discuss the hereditary and other reasons the claimants think they are in line for the English throne, their supporters, and any plots that arise to bring them to the throne in Queen Elizabeth's place. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)