|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who is caught with the teenage Princess Elizabeth in his arms and eventually taken to the Tower and executed for planning to marry her without the king's Privy Council?
2. Who marries his son to Lady Jane Grey because of her place in the line of succession to the throne of England?
3. Who becomes the ruler of England after King Henry VIII's death when Elizabeth is 14 years-old?
4. What does the French ambassador tell the Spanish ambassador about the way Queen Elizabeth spent New Year's Night in 1566?
5. What powerful country supports the marriage of Mary Stuart to Darnley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Duke of Anjou not want to marry Queen Elizabeth when his parents suggest the match?
2. Why does Mary Stuart consider herself queen of England instead of Elizabeth?
3. What factors help the English prevail over the Spanish Armada?
4. What is Elizabeth like at age 25 when she first becomes queen?
5. Describe Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley at the beginning of her reign.
6. What makes Parliament break out into fistfights and how does Queen Elizabeth temporarily resolve the issue?
7. What factors lead to Mary Stuart's trial and execution?
8. Discuss the Earl of Essex's relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
9. What implications does the Massacre of St. Bartholomew have for England and Queen Elizabeth?
10. Explain why Queen Elizabeth refuses to become Queen of Holland, Zeeland, and Utrecht when offered the title.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sir Francis Drake and piracy during the Elizabethan era. What does piracy bring to the English realm? How does Elizabeth feel about it? What affect does piracy have on England's relationship with Spain? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys. Are the two women rivals on other levels in addition to being rivals for Robert Dudley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Pick any three claimants to Queen Elizabeth's throne other than Mary Stuart from Elizabeth the Great. Discuss the hereditary and other reasons the claimants think they are in line for the English throne, their supporters, and any plots that arise to bring them to the throne in Queen Elizabeth's place. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)