|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 23, how long are all Jesuits and seminary priests and all those who entered the Catholic priesthood since 1559 given to leave England?
(a) 40 days.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
2. What happens to Lady Lennox as a result of her matchmaking for a youth of royal blood without the Crown's permission?
(a) She is hung.
(b) She is beheaded.
(c) She is imprisoned in the Tower.
(d) She is banished to Scotland.
3. After 1588, a cult develops in Europe exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status as what deities?
(a) Isis and Freya.
(b) Athena and Hera.
(c) Ceridwen and Demeter.
(d) Diana or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight.
4. Who does the Earl of Leicester secretly marry in 1578?
(a) Lady Lennox.
(b) Mary Stuart.
(c) Lettice Devereux.
(d) Douglas Sheffield.
5. What does Queen Elizabeth decide to do with Alenzon?
(a) She marries him.
(b) She has him assassinated.
(c) She helps him seize the French throne from his brother.
(d) She gives him money and sends him to the Netherlands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Earl of Essex's mother?
2. What factors help the English ships defeat the Spanish Armada when Spain tries to invade England?
3. To whom does Queen Elizabeth confide in Chapter 21 that she hates the idea of marriage more every day?
4. What is the Babington plot?
5. When the Church of England is criticized for appointing incompetent clergy, which of the following is not the kind of man Queen Elizabeth advises the bishops to appoint?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)