|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Babington plot?
(a) A plot to kidnap King James of Scotland.
(b) A plot to for Mary Stuart to wed the King of Spain.
(c) A plot to murder Elizabeth & put Mary Stuart on the throne.
(d) A plot to murder Mary Stuart.
2. When a comet appears over London, what do many people believe it heralds?
(a) The coming of the plague.
(b) The coming of great prosperity.
(c) The coming of war.
(d) The death of some great person.
3. When Queen Elizabeth sends the Earl of Essex to Ireland with orders to attack the Irish rebel Tyrone, what does the earl do?
(a) He goes to Scotland instead.
(b) He is captured by Tyrone.
(c) He delays and does not keep the queen informed.
(d) He joins Tyrone.
4. Why does Spain attack France in Chapter 27 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>?
(a) They want revenge for French attacks on Spain.
(b) They want the French crown for Philip of Spain's daughter.
(c) They want to restore Catholicism to Protestant France.
(d) They want to conquer the world.
5. To whom does King Philip of Spain decide to give England?
(a) To Prince Alenzon.
(b) To the Earl of Leicester.
(c) To one of his daughters.
(d) To his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Prince of Orange make the titular head of the lands he offers to Queen Elizabeth when the queen refuses to accept his honor?
2. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
3. With what married woman and cousin of Queen Elizabeth does the Earl of Leicester have an affair?
4. Who is suspected of poisoning Lord Sheffield at the end of Chapter 16?
5. In Chapter 23, how long are all Jesuits and seminary priests and all those who entered the Catholic priesthood since 1559 given to leave England?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)