|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Prince Alenzon, Queen Elizabeth's French suitor?
(a) A large nose.
(b) Puny in size.
(c) Pitted from smallpox.
(d) Tall, muscular, and handsome.
2. When Queen Elizabeth orders the Earl of Essex to stay in Ireland and carry out his orders, what does he do?
(a) He obeys her commands.
(b) He joins Tyrone's rebellion against the queen.
(c) He runs away to France.
(d) He ignores her commands and returns to England.
3. Why does King Philip of Spain think England is his territory?
(a) The Pope has given it to him in God's name.
(b) Mary Stuart bequeathed it to him.
(c) His mother was an English princess.
(d) God has given it to him to restore it to Catholicism.
4. What does Queen Elizabeth ask to see when she visits Dr. John Dee at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) his Spanish gold.
(b) His speculum of magic glass.
(c) His new horses.
(d) His new wife.
5. What is the Earl of Essex sentenced to for his crime?
(a) To be hung.
(b) To be burned alive.
(c) To be beheaded.
(d) To be imprisoned in the Tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Francis Drake's pirate ship?
2. In addition to anyone who murders Queen Elizabeth, who does the Bond of Associate bind Queen Elizabeth's Privy Council to pursue to death?
3. What factors help the English ships defeat the Spanish Armada when Spain tries to invade England?
4. With what married woman and cousin of Queen Elizabeth does the Earl of Leicester have an affair?
5. When Queen Elizabeth does not renew a tax on sweet wines that the Earl of Essex depends on for his income, what does Essex do?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)