|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
(a) Jewels and silks from the Orient.
(b) Soldiers to invade the English coast.
(c) A potential bridegroom for Queen Elizabeth.
(d) 85,000 pounds of gold.
2. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Earl of Essex.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) The poet, Sir Philip Sidney.
3. Which of the following is not a place where glass is used in England as peacetime prosperity develops an increasing market for it?
(a) Bathing pools
(b) Church altars.
(c) Windows of great houses and shops.
(d) Drinking and looking glasses.
4. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
(a) The Duke of Northumberland.
(b) Lady Jane Grey.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
(d) Sir Philip Sidney.
5. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to divorce Lord Darnley?
(a) Darnley has threatened to kill her if she divorces him.
(b) It is a sin to divorce in her eyes.
(c) She loves him.
(d) It could throw doubt on the legitimacy of her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
2. Who becomes the ruler of England after King Henry VIII's death when Elizabeth is 14 years-old?
3. Why does Queen Elizabeth hesitate to take a more active part in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland?
4. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
5. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the Earl of Leicester's marriage to Lettice Devereux and its affect on his relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
2. What does Queen Elizabeth find appealing about Prince Alenzon when he is so physically unattractive? What do her people find so objectionable about him?
3. Describe Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley at the beginning of her reign.
4. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's coronation. How do the people of England accept her at the beginning of her reign?
5. Discuss Lord Darnley's claim to the English throne. What factors make him a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
6. What implications does the Massacre of St. Bartholomew have for England and Queen Elizabeth?
7. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's response to criticism of the Anglican Church for appointing incompetent clergy.
8. Why is Queen Elizabeth so upset that she faints when insufficient evidence of treason is found against Norfolk?
9. Who is Dr. Dee and why does Queen Elizabeth want to see his speculum of magic glass?
10. Discuss the plot of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, and Duke of Northumberland, to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne after King Edward VI dies.
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)