|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose household does Princess Elizabeth live in after her father's death?
(a) Her half sister, Mary Tudor.
(b) Mary Stuart.
(c) Her stepmother, Catherine Parr, the Queen Dowager.
(d) The Duke of Somerset.
2. Who does Queen Elizabeth suggest as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) King Philip of Spain.
(b) Sir William Cecil.
(c) Lord Darnley.
(d) Lord Robert Dudley.
3. What are pearls said to symbolize?
(a) Psychic ability.
4. When Amy Dudley is found at the bottom of a staircase with a broken neck, who is immediately suspected of murdering her?
(a) Her husband, Lord Robert Dudley.
(b) William Cecil.
(c) Sir Christopher Hammond.
(d) Mary Stuart.
5. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to ratify the Treaty of Edinburgh?
(a) It gives Scotland to France.
(b) It gives Scotland to Elizabeth.
(c) It recognizes Elizabeth as Queen of England.
(d) It gives Scotland to Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
2. How long has Queen Elizabeth ruled England at 37 years-old?
3. What Catholic does William Cecil think will ascend to the throne and revive Catholicism in England if the Protestant Queen Elizabeth dies without a child?
4. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
5. Which of the following actions does not occur in response to what Queen Elizabeth does with the cargo of the four Spanish ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's intention in writing <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>? How does her intention affect the shape of the book?
2. What signs are there that Queen Elizabeth is not as strongly influenced by the Earl of Essex as many of her advisors fear?
3. Why is Queen Elizabeth reluctant to behead Mary Stuart?
4. Discuss the role Thomas Seymour plays in English government once his nephew Edward becomes king of England and the role he hopes to play through his influence on Elizabeth.
5. Who is Dr. Dee and why does Queen Elizabeth want to see his speculum of magic glass?
6. Explain why Queen Elizabeth refuses to become Queen of Holland, Zeeland, and Utrecht when offered the title.
7. Why does the Duke of Anjou not want to marry Queen Elizabeth when his parents suggest the match?
8. What action does Pope Pius take against the Protestant Elizabeth in 1570 and what effect does it have on Queen Elizabeth's policy of religious tolerance.
9. Why does Queen Elizabeth offer Lord Robert Dudley as a potential husband to Mary Stuart and what reasons do Mary Stuart and Dudley have for objecting to the union?
10. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's bout with smallpox and what fear her illness arouses in her councilors.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)