|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, what act do Parliament and the Privy Council pass?
(a) A law outlawing Catholicism in England.
(b) The Act of Supremacy and Uniformity.
(c) A law raising taxes.
(d) A law making Robert Dudley her heir.
2. Who expects to be named Queen Elizabeth's "heiress-presumptive"?
(a) Catherine Grey.
(b) Lady Lennox.
(c) Kat Ashley.
(d) Mary Stuart.
3. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
(a) That she was bald.
(b) That she could not have children.
(c) That she was secretly married to the Earl of Leicester.
(d) That she was illegitimate and did not deserve the throne.
4. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
(a) Edward Seymour.
(b) The Duke of Northumberland.
(c) Thomas Seymour.
(d) The Earl of Essex.
5. If Mary Stuart agrees to accept the husband Queen Elizabeth suggests for her, what might Elizabeth consent to do for Mary?
(a) Be godmother to her children.
(b) Give her an English estate.
(c) Give her an Army to help her take the French Crown.
(d) Name her as heiress-presumptive to the English Crown.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Queen Mary Tudor engaged soon after her ascension to the throne?
2. According to King Henry's will, what is the order of succession to the throne?
3. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
4. Who ends up in the Tower instead of the princesses because of the attempt to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne?
5. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's relationship with her brother, King Edward VI, like?
2. Does Queen Elizabeth intend to marry Prince Alenzon or does she use this potential marriage for diplomatic reasons as she does all her other potential marriages?
3. What factors lead to Mary Stuart's trial and execution?
4. Explain Wyatt's rebellion. How does it affect Elizabeth?
5. Why is Catherine Grey's pregnancy so upsetting to Queen Elizabeth?
6. Discuss the plot Spanish ambassador Don Gerau De Spies has to restore England to Catholicism.
7. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward Catholicism and religious tolerance.
8. Why does Spain want to invade England in 1587?
9. Discuss the plot of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, and Duke of Northumberland, to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne after King Edward VI dies.
10. Discuss the downfall of Mary Stuart after her involvement with the Earl of Bothwell. How does it lead to her forced abdication of her throne?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)