|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Queen Elizabeth hesitate to take a more active part in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland?
(a) She is Catholic.
(b) Her country is short of funds, men, and ships.
(c) She fears retribution from Mary Stuart.
(d) She fears French intervention on Scotland's behalf.
2. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Swedish ships.
(b) French ships.
(c) Spanish ships.
(d) Pirate ships.
3. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
(a) He is her lover.
(b) He is her Secretary of State.
(c) He is her guard while she is in the tower.
(d) He is her cousin.
4. What does Elizabeth ride in through London to Westminster on the Saturday before her coronation?
(a) A golden coach.
(b) A chariot draped with crimson velvet.
(c) A coach draped with rubies and pearls.
(d) A silk-draped litter carried by eight footmen.
5. Who agrees to be the godmother to the infant son of Mary Stuart?
(a) Lady Lennox.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) Kat Ashley.
(d) Catherine de Medici.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
2. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
3. During her era, what is unusual about the way Queen Elizabeth bathes?
4. Who becomes Lord High Admiral of the English navy after King Henry VIII's death?
5. Who shows over familiarity with the queen by taking her napkin out of her hand to wipe his sweaty face during a tennis game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leicester's secret marriage to Lord Sheffield's widow indicate about his character?
2. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
3. What factors allow Mary Stuart to engage in perpetual intrigue with France and Spain while she is living in England?
4. Discuss how Lord Darnley becomes king of Scotland and what the Protestant Lords of Scotland feel about his elevated role.
5. Why is the murder of Rizzio, the Italian advisor to Mary Stuart, important?
6. What is the author's intention in writing <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>? How does her intention affect the shape of the book?
7. What is Elizabeth's relationship with her brother, King Edward VI, like?
8. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
9. Why is Queen Elizabeth so upset that she faints when insufficient evidence of treason is found against Norfolk?
10. Why does Queen Elizabeth encourage rather than discourage Francis Drake's piracy?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)