|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elizabeth ride in through London to Westminster on the Saturday before her coronation?
(a) A silk-draped litter carried by eight footmen.
(b) A coach draped with rubies and pearls.
(c) A chariot draped with crimson velvet.
(d) A golden coach.
2. What powerful country supports the marriage of Mary Stuart to Darnley?
3. When Amy Dudley is found at the bottom of a staircase with a broken neck, who is immediately suspected of murdering her?
(a) Her husband, Lord Robert Dudley.
(b) Sir Christopher Hammond.
(c) Mary Stuart.
(d) William Cecil.
4. Who marries his son to Lady Jane Grey because of her place in the line of succession to the throne of England?
(a) The Duke of Northumberland.
(b) Thomas Seymour.
(c) Philip Sidney.
(d) Sir Francis Drake.
5. What happens to Lord Darnley in Edinburgh the day before he marries Mary Stuart?
(a) He is proclaimed King of Scotland.
(b) He gets the plague.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is killed in a sword fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
2. Who becomes the ruler of England after King Henry VIII's death when Elizabeth is 14 years-old?
3. What happens to Princess Elizabeth's mother when the princess is just a toddler?
4. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
5. What happens when the Scottish Lords try to rescue Mary Stuart from Tutbury Castle where she is being held?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Queen Elizabeth so upset that she faints when insufficient evidence of treason is found against Norfolk?
2. As Queen Elizabeth ages and her old advisors die and are replaced, what kind of man is the queen most fond of and does this fondness differ from the kind of men she was fond of in her youth?
3. Explain why Queen Elizabeth refuses to become Queen of Holland, Zeeland, and Utrecht when offered the title.
4. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
5. Why does Queen Elizabeth encourage rather than discourage Francis Drake's piracy?
6. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's response to criticism of the Anglican Church for appointing incompetent clergy.
7. Why is Catherine Grey's pregnancy so upsetting to Queen Elizabeth?
8. Discuss Lord Darnley's claim to the English throne. What factors make him a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
9. How does Queen Elizabeth sidestep the issue of marrying when Parliament raises it?
10. Explain how Queen Elizabeth's payment of the debts owed the City of London by King Henry VIII and King Edward VI increase her popularity with her people.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)