|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the introduction, on what does the book focus?
(a) The Spanish Armada.
(b) Life in England during Elizabeth's reign.
(c) The Protestant Reformation.
(d) Queen Elizabeth I.
2. What happens to Princess Elizabeth's mother when the princess is just a toddler?
(a) She is accused of adultery and treason and beheaded.
(b) She dies in childbirth.
(c) She dies of smallpox.
(d) She drowns at sea while traveling with the king.
3. What does the Earl of Leicester tell the French ambassador that Queen Elizabeth said about marriage when she was eight years-old?
(a) That she would never marry.
(b) That she would marry six times like her father.
(c) That she could not wait to marry.
(d) That she wanted to marry Leicester.
4. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
(a) When the Master of the Horse becomes Elizabeth's guardian.
(b) When Elizabeth's father dies.
(c) When they are both imprisoned in the Tower of London.
(d) When Elizabeth almost dies of smallpox.
5. When Queen Elizabeth hesitates to intervene in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland, how does William Cecil persuade her to take action?
(a) He tells her the nobles support war.
(b) He threatens to resign.
(c) He asks Lord Robert Dudley to persuade her.
(d) He tells her Mary Stuart has declared war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
2. Where is the Duke of Norfolk sent to at the end of Chapter 12?
3. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
4. How does the author say teeth are cleaned during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
5. What religion does Catherine Parr encourage Princess Elizabeth and Prince Edward to study?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Stuart consider herself queen of England instead of Elizabeth?
2. Explain Wyatt's rebellion. How does it affect Elizabeth?
3. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
4. Why is Queen Elizabeth so upset that she faints when insufficient evidence of treason is found against Norfolk?
5. Discuss the Earl of Leicester's marriage to Lettice Devereux and its affect on his relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
6. What is the author's intention in writing <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>? How does her intention affect the shape of the book?
7. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
8. What signs are there that Queen Elizabeth is not as strongly influenced by the Earl of Essex as many of her advisors fear?
9. What is Elizabeth's relationship with her brother, King Edward VI, like?
10. What folly does Queen Elizabeth's cousin, Mary Grey, commit? What previous examples in her own family should have taught her not to take this step?
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)