|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Wyatt's Rebellion depicted in Chapter 3?
(a) A French plot to make Mary Stuart Queen of England.
(b) A plot to marry Princess Elizabeth to Edward Courtenay.
(c) A plot that results in Elizabeth going to the Tower.
(d) A plan to stop the Spanish marriage of Queen Mary.
2. What colors does Queen Elizabeth tell Spanish ambassador Don Guzman de Silva are her colors?
(a) Yellow and white.
(b) Red, green, and blue.
(c) Black and white.
(d) Black, red, and gray.
3. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to ratify the Treaty of Edinburgh?
(a) It recognizes Elizabeth as Queen of England.
(b) It gives Scotland to France.
(c) It gives Scotland to Spain.
(d) It gives Scotland to Elizabeth.
4. In whom does Mary Stuart confide when her marriage to Lord Darnley becomes unhappy?
(a) Queen Elizabeth of England.
(b) Lady Lennox.
(c) Sir William Cecil.
(d) Rizzio, her Italian secretary.
5. According to the introduction, on what does the book focus?
(a) Queen Elizabeth I.
(b) Life in England during Elizabeth's reign.
(c) The Protestant Reformation.
(d) The Spanish Armada.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up in the Tower instead of the princesses because of the attempt to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne?
2. Who becomes the ruler of England after King Henry VIII's death when Elizabeth is 14 years-old?
3. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
4. What happens to Princess Elizabeth's mother when the princess is just a toddler?
5. Which of Queen Elizabeth's suitors does Sir William Cecil draw a table of the pros and cons of the potential marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Queen Elizabeth sidestep the issue of marrying when Parliament raises it?
2. Discuss the Earl of Essex's relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
3. Discuss the Earl of Leicester's marriage to Lettice Devereux and its affect on his relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
4. What does Leicester's secret marriage to Lord Sheffield's widow indicate about his character?
5. Why is Queen Elizabeth so upset that she faints when insufficient evidence of treason is found against Norfolk?
6. What action does Pope Pius take against the Protestant Elizabeth in 1570 and what effect does it have on Queen Elizabeth's policy of religious tolerance.
7. Why is the murder of Rizzio, the Italian advisor to Mary Stuart, important?
8. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
9. Explain why Queen Elizabeth refuses to become Queen of Holland, Zeeland, and Utrecht when offered the title.
10. Why is Queen Elizabeth reluctant to behead Mary Stuart?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)