|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a place where glass is used in England as peacetime prosperity develops an increasing market for it?
(a) Bathing pools
(b) Drinking and looking glasses.
(c) Church altars.
(d) Windows of great houses and shops.
2. Who does Queen Elizabeth suggest as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) Lord Darnley.
(b) Sir William Cecil.
(c) Lord Robert Dudley.
(d) King Philip of Spain.
3. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
(a) Sir William Cecil.
(b) The Kingdom of England.
(c) Lord Robert Dudley.
(d) Sir Christopher Hatton.
4. What keeps Queen Elizabeth's complexion so white?
(a) Elizabeth avoids sunlight.
(b) Elizabeth is an albino.
(c) A lotion of egg white, eggshell, alum, borax & poppyseeds.
(d) Elizabeth wears a white powder.
5. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
(a) Elizabeth weds Edward Courtenay and overthrows Mary.
(b) Mary is overthrown by Mary Stuart and taken to the Tower.
(c) Mary is murdered by Protestant sympathizers.
(d) Mary dies after a long illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do others see Lord Darnley?
2. What happens when Mary Stuart desires to return to Scotland through England?
3. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. What does the Earl of Leicester tell the French ambassador that Queen Elizabeth said about marriage when she was eight years-old?
5. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to divorce Lord Darnley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Lady Lennox and Lady Shrewsbury sent to the Tower when their children marry?
2. Who is Dr. Dee and why does Queen Elizabeth want to see his speculum of magic glass?
3. Why does Mary Stuart consider herself queen of England instead of Elizabeth?
4. What implications does the Massacre of St. Bartholomew have for England and Queen Elizabeth?
5. What is the order of succession for Henry VIII's three children after his death? What makes Elizabeth's legitimacy come into question?
6. As Queen Elizabeth ages and her old advisors die and are replaced, what kind of man is the queen most fond of and does this fondness differ from the kind of men she was fond of in her youth?
7. What is the Bond of Association?
8. Discuss the downfall of Mary Stuart after her involvement with the Earl of Bothwell. How does it lead to her forced abdication of her throne?
9. Describe Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley at the beginning of her reign.
10. Discuss how Lord Darnley becomes king of Scotland and what the Protestant Lords of Scotland feel about his elevated role.
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)