|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Lord Darnley in Edinburgh the day before he marries Mary Stuart?
(a) He is killed in a sword fight.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He gets the plague.
(d) He is proclaimed King of Scotland.
2. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
(a) Sir Philip Sidney.
(b) The Duke of Northumberland.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
(d) Lady Jane Grey.
3. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
(c) Victory in war.
(d) Perpetual virginity.
4. The Scottish Lords expect to find English Catholics waiting to rise and overthrow Elizabeth's government with them, but what do they find instead?
(a) That English Catholics do not want to overthrow Elizabeth.
(b) That France has united with Elizabeth to fight the rebellion.
(c) That the plague has wiped out thousands.
(d) That English Catholics have converted to the Anglican church.
5. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction when her Privy Council finds insufficient evidence to charge Norfolk with treason?
(a) She has Norfolk poisoned in secret to make sure he is dead.
(b) She says she will behead him by her own authority and faints.
(c) She is relieved and publicly thanks God.
(d) She hires an assassin to kill Norfolk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Queen Elizabeth hesitate to take a more active part in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland?
2. How does Queen Elizabeth revive the Royal Navy?
3. What does the French ambassador tell the Spanish ambassador about the way Queen Elizabeth spent New Year's Night in 1566?
4. What religion is Queen Mary Tudor determined to reinstate as England's national religion when she ascends to the throne?
5. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Lord Darnley's claim to the English throne. What factors make him a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
2. Discuss the role Thomas Seymour plays in English government once his nephew Edward becomes king of England and the role he hopes to play through his influence on Elizabeth.
3. What implications does the Massacre of St. Bartholomew have for England and Queen Elizabeth?
4. As Queen Elizabeth ages and her old advisors die and are replaced, what kind of man is the queen most fond of and does this fondness differ from the kind of men she was fond of in her youth?
5. Discuss how Lord Darnley becomes king of Scotland and what the Protestant Lords of Scotland feel about his elevated role.
6. Although some historians have written that Queen Elizabeth was bald, the author of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i> does not think Elizabeth was bald. What are some of her reasons for thinking that the queen kept her natural hair throughout her life?
7. Discuss the plot Spanish ambassador Don Gerau De Spies has to restore England to Catholicism.
8. What is Elizabeth like at age 25 when she first becomes queen?
9. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's seizing of Spanish gold chests and the retaliation against England by Spain.
10. What does Leicester's secret marriage to Lord Sheffield's widow indicate about his character?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)