|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Princess Elizabeth's mother when the princess is just a toddler?
(a) She dies of smallpox.
(b) She drowns at sea while traveling with the king.
(c) She is accused of adultery and treason and beheaded.
(d) She dies in childbirth.
2. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction when her Privy Council finds insufficient evidence to charge Norfolk with treason?
(a) She says she will behead him by her own authority and faints.
(b) She hires an assassin to kill Norfolk.
(c) She is relieved and publicly thanks God.
(d) She has Norfolk poisoned in secret to make sure he is dead.
3. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who appoints himself Duke of Somerset and Protector and advisor to young King Edward after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Thomas Seymour, brother of the young king's dead mother.
(b) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(c) Edward Seymour, brother of the young king's dead mother.
(d) Sir Christopher Hatton.
4. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
(a) Lady Jane Grey.
(b) Sir Philip Sidney.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
5. In whom does Mary Stuart confide when her marriage to Lord Darnley becomes unhappy?
(a) Queen Elizabeth of England.
(b) Rizzio, her Italian secretary.
(c) Lady Lennox.
(d) Sir William Cecil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to divorce Lord Darnley?
2. Which of the following actions does not occur in response to what Queen Elizabeth does with the cargo of the four Spanish ships?
3. Which of the following is not an action Sir William Cecil advises Queen Elizabeth to take to reduce the danger of Mary Stuart seizing the English throne?
4. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the cargo of the Spanish ships?
5. Who becomes King of Scotland when Mary Stuart is forced to abdicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Parliament break out into fistfights and how does Queen Elizabeth temporarily resolve the issue?
2. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
3. What folly does Queen Elizabeth's cousin, Mary Grey, commit? What previous examples in her own family should have taught her not to take this step?
4. What factors lead to Mary Stuart's trial and execution?
5. Discuss how Lord Darnley becomes king of Scotland and what the Protestant Lords of Scotland feel about his elevated role.
6. Why is Catherine Grey's pregnancy so upsetting to Queen Elizabeth?
7. What signs are there that Queen Elizabeth is not as strongly influenced by the Earl of Essex as many of her advisors fear?
8. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's seizing of Spanish gold chests and the retaliation against England by Spain.
9. Who is Dr. Dee and why does Queen Elizabeth want to see his speculum of magic glass?
10. What does Leicester's secret marriage to Lord Sheffield's widow indicate about his character?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)