|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Duke of Norfolk sent to at the end of Chapter 12?
(d) The Tower.
2. Why is Queen Elizabeth called "Queen of the Sea?"
(a) Because she swims a lot.
(b) Because she has a large Navy.
(c) Because of her interest in the Navy.
(d) Because England is a seafaring nation.
3. Who ends up in the Tower instead of the princesses because of the attempt to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne?
(a) Prince Philip of Spain.
(b) The Duke of Northumberland and Lady Jane Grey.
(c) Sir Thomas Wyatt.
(d) Mary Stuart.
4. What happens when Mary Stuart desires to return to Scotland through England?
(a) Her boat capsizes in the English Channel.
(b) Her request for a passport is denied.
(c) English Catholics try to put her on the English throne.
(d) She gets smallpox.
5. Which of Queen Elizabeth's suitors does Sir William Cecil draw a table of the pros and cons of the potential marriage?
(a) Prince Alenzon.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) Archduke Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. With Spain supporting Mary Stuart and planning to invade England on her behalf, with what country is it important for Queen Elizabeth and England to form an alliance?
2. How do others see Lord Darnley?
3. What happens when the Scottish Lords try to rescue Mary Stuart from Tutbury Castle where she is being held?
4. Whose household does Princess Elizabeth live in after her father's death?
5. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction when her Privy Council finds insufficient evidence to charge Norfolk with treason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Duke of Anjou not want to marry Queen Elizabeth when his parents suggest the match?
2. What does Leicester's secret marriage to Lord Sheffield's widow indicate about his character?
3. What is the order of succession for Henry VIII's three children after his death? What makes Elizabeth's legitimacy come into question?
4. What does the fact that she is playing the virginals when the Earl of Essex is executed indicate about Queen Elizabeth's feelings for Essex?
5. What implications does the Massacre of St. Bartholomew have for England and Queen Elizabeth?
6. Discuss the role Thomas Seymour plays in English government once his nephew Edward becomes king of England and the role he hopes to play through his influence on Elizabeth.
7. Discuss what happens to Amy Dudley and the gossip that arises about Lord Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth after her death.
8. Discuss Lord Darnley's claim to the English throne. What factors make him a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
9. Why does Queen Elizabeth offer Lord Robert Dudley as a potential husband to Mary Stuart and what reasons do Mary Stuart and Dudley have for objecting to the union?
10. What factors allow Mary Stuart to engage in perpetual intrigue with France and Spain while she is living in England?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)