|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) French ships.
(b) Spanish ships.
(c) Pirate ships.
(d) Swedish ships.
2. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
(a) Bless the queen.
(b) Crown the queen.
(c) Offer prayers for the queen.
(d) Attend the ceremony.
3. What religion is Queen Mary Tudor determined to reinstate as England's national religion when she ascends to the throne?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe an effect the pope's actions against Queen Elizabeth have on English Catholics?
(a) They are disobedient to the Pope if loyal to the queen.
(b) They are traitors to the queen if obedient to the Pope.
(c) Elizabeth's policy of religious compromise is shattered.
(d) Mary Stuart is crowned Queen of England.
5. Where does the author say she gets her information about the queen from?
(a) Spanish and French documents about Elizabeth I.
(b) Secret diaries of Lord Burleigh.
(c) Secret diaries of Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Various sources already published.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
2. Who agrees to be the godmother to the infant son of Mary Stuart?
3. According to King Henry's will, what is the order of succession to the throne?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the effect the book's focus has on the book's shape?
5. What does the author say the aim of the book is in the introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
2. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
3. Why does the Duke of Anjou not want to marry Queen Elizabeth when his parents suggest the match?
4. Why is Lord Darnley murdered and who is responsible for his murder?
5. Discuss how Lord Darnley becomes king of Scotland and what the Protestant Lords of Scotland feel about his elevated role.
6. What does the fact that she is playing the virginals when the Earl of Essex is executed indicate about Queen Elizabeth's feelings for Essex?
7. What folly does Queen Elizabeth's cousin, Mary Grey, commit? What previous examples in her own family should have taught her not to take this step?
8. Why is the murder of Rizzio, the Italian advisor to Mary Stuart, important?
9. Explain the role of Henry VIII in the establishment of the Church of England.
10. Explain how Queen Elizabeth's payment of the debts owed the City of London by King Henry VIII and King Edward VI increase her popularity with her people.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)