|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of stockings does Mrs. Montagu give Queen Elizabeth in 1560?
(a) Wool stockings.
(b) Taffeta stockings.
(c) Knitted silk stockings.
(d) Worsted stockings.
2. What colors does Queen Elizabeth tell Spanish ambassador Don Guzman de Silva are her colors?
(a) Black and white.
(b) Black, red, and gray.
(c) Red, green, and blue.
(d) Yellow and white.
3. What are pearls said to symbolize?
(c) Psychic ability.
4. How do others see Lord Darnley?
(a) As a spiritual leader.
(b) As a brilliant politician.
(c) As a scholar.
(d) As a brainless, arrogant fool.
5. What does the author say the aim of the book is in the introduction?
(a) To show how similar Elizabeth I was to her father Henry VIII.
(b) To earn the author a doctoral degree.
(c) To collect interesting personal information about Elizabeth I.
(d) To record the history of the Tudor dynasty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Scottish Lords try to rescue Mary Stuart from Tutbury Castle where she is being held?
2. Who becomes the ruler of England after King Henry VIII's death when Elizabeth is 14 years-old?
3. According to the introduction, on what does the book focus?
4. How do Scotland's Protestant Lords deal with Lord Darnley?
5. What happens to Princess Elizabeth's mother when the princess is just a toddler?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
2. What is the Bond of Association?
3. Discuss the Earl of Leicester's marriage to Lettice Devereux and its affect on his relationship with Queen Elizabeth.
4. Discuss Lord Darnley's claim to the English throne. What factors make him a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
5. What factors lead to Mary Stuart's trial and execution?
6. Discuss the plot of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, and Duke of Northumberland, to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne after King Edward VI dies.
7. Why is the murder of Rizzio, the Italian advisor to Mary Stuart, important?
8. Who is Dr. Dee and why does Queen Elizabeth want to see his speculum of magic glass?
9. What is the author's intention in writing <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>? How does her intention affect the shape of the book?
10. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward Catholicism and religious tolerance.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)