|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The poet, Sir Philip Sidney.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
(d) King Philip of Spain.
2. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
(a) He is her lover.
(b) He is her guard while she is in the tower.
(c) He is her Secretary of State.
(d) He is her cousin.
3. What powerful country supports the marriage of Mary Stuart to Darnley?
4. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
5. According to the introduction, on what does the book focus?
(a) The Spanish Armada.
(b) Life in England during Elizabeth's reign.
(c) The Protestant Reformation.
(d) Queen Elizabeth I.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elizabeth choose as her Master of the Horse when she first becomes queen?
2. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
3. What married man does Mary Stuart take as her lover in Chapter 11?
4. Which of the following actions does not occur in response to what Queen Elizabeth does with the cargo of the four Spanish ships?
5. During her era, what is unusual about the way Queen Elizabeth bathes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens to Amy Dudley and the gossip that arises about Lord Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth after her death.
2. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
3. Describe Queen Elizabeth's appearance at age 37, twelve years into her reign.
4. Why is Queen Elizabeth reluctant to behead Mary Stuart?
5. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's seizing of Spanish gold chests and the retaliation against England by Spain.
6. Discuss the role Thomas Seymour plays in English government once his nephew Edward becomes king of England and the role he hopes to play through his influence on Elizabeth.
7. What is the Bond of Association?
8. Discuss the Earl of Essex's failures in Ireland.
9. Explain Wyatt's rebellion. How does it affect Elizabeth?
10. As Queen Elizabeth ages and her old advisors die and are replaced, what kind of man is the queen most fond of and does this fondness differ from the kind of men she was fond of in her youth?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)