|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the aim of the book is in the introduction?
(a) To show how similar Elizabeth I was to her father Henry VIII.
(b) To earn the author a doctoral degree.
(c) To record the history of the Tudor dynasty.
(d) To collect interesting personal information about Elizabeth I.
2. How long has Queen Elizabeth ruled England at 37 years-old?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 20 years.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
(a) She closely resembles her father, Henry VIII.
(b) Her eyes are golden and large-pupiled from short sight.
(c) She has red-gold hair and very fair skin.
(d) She has her mother's sallow and dark complexion.
4. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who is caught with the teenage Princess Elizabeth in his arms and eventually taken to the Tower and executed for planning to marry her without the king's Privy Council?
(a) Edward Seymour.
(b) Robert Dudley, The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Thomas Seymour.
(d) Lord Burleigh.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe an effect the pope's actions against Queen Elizabeth have on English Catholics?
(a) They are disobedient to the Pope if loyal to the queen.
(b) Elizabeth's policy of religious compromise is shattered.
(c) Mary Stuart is crowned Queen of England.
(d) They are traitors to the queen if obedient to the Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
2. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
3. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the effect the book's focus has on the book's shape?
5. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the murder of Rizzio, the Italian advisor to Mary Stuart, important?
2. Why is Catherine Grey's pregnancy so upsetting to Queen Elizabeth?
3. Explain how Queen Elizabeth's payment of the debts owed the City of London by King Henry VIII and King Edward VI increase her popularity with her people.
4. Why is Queen Elizabeth reluctant to behead Mary Stuart?
5. When she breaks her promise to marry him, how does Queen Elizabeth gratify Prince Alenzon?
6. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward Catholicism and religious tolerance.
7. What is Elizabeth like at age 25 when she first becomes queen?
8. What is the author's intention in writing <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>? How does her intention affect the shape of the book?
9. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's seizing of Spanish gold chests and the retaliation against England by Spain.
10. What does Leicester's secret marriage to Lord Sheffield's widow indicate about his character?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)