|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Queen Elizabeth's suitors does Sir William Cecil draw a table of the pros and cons of the potential marriage?
(a) King Philip of Spain.
(b) Prince Alenzon.
(c) Archduke Charles.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
2. To whom is Queen Mary Tudor engaged soon after her ascension to the throne?
(a) The Duke of Norfolk.
(b) Sir Philip Sidney.
(c) Edward Courtenay.
(d) Prince Philip of Spain.
3. What kind of stockings does Mrs. Montagu give Queen Elizabeth in 1560?
(a) Knitted silk stockings.
(b) Wool stockings.
(c) Worsted stockings.
(d) Taffeta stockings.
4. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
5. What does the French ambassador tell the Spanish ambassador about the way Queen Elizabeth spent New Year's Night in 1566?
(a) He says she got drunk.
(b) He says she watched a play.
(c) He says she slept with the Earl of Leicester that night.
(d) He says she danced and played the virginals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
2. How does the author say teeth are cleaned during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
3. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
4. Which of the following is not an action Sir William Cecil advises Queen Elizabeth to take to reduce the danger of Mary Stuart seizing the English throne?
5. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the order of succession for Henry VIII's three children after his death? What makes Elizabeth's legitimacy come into question?
2. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's seizing of Spanish gold chests and the retaliation against England by Spain.
3. Why does Queen Elizabeth offer Lord Robert Dudley as a potential husband to Mary Stuart and what reasons do Mary Stuart and Dudley have for objecting to the union?
4. What is the author's intention in writing <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>? How does her intention affect the shape of the book?
5. Why is Catherine Grey's pregnancy so upsetting to Queen Elizabeth?
6. What does the fact that she is playing the virginals when the Earl of Essex is executed indicate about Queen Elizabeth's feelings for Essex?
7. What does Queen Elizabeth find appealing about Prince Alenzon when he is so physically unattractive? What do her people find so objectionable about him?
8. When she breaks her promise to marry him, how does Queen Elizabeth gratify Prince Alenzon?
9. Discuss the role Thomas Seymour plays in English government once his nephew Edward becomes king of England and the role he hopes to play through his influence on Elizabeth.
10. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)