|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
(a) She closely resembles her father, Henry VIII.
(b) She has her mother's sallow and dark complexion.
(c) She has red-gold hair and very fair skin.
(d) Her eyes are golden and large-pupiled from short sight.
2. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
(a) Thomas Seymour.
(b) The Duke of Northumberland.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
(d) Edward Seymour.
3. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
(a) Sir William Cecil.
(b) The Kingdom of England.
(c) Lord Robert Dudley.
(d) Sir Christopher Hatton.
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Wyatt's Rebellion depicted in Chapter 3?
(a) A French plot to make Mary Stuart Queen of England.
(b) A plot to marry Princess Elizabeth to Edward Courtenay.
(c) A plan to stop the Spanish marriage of Queen Mary.
(d) A plot that results in Elizabeth going to the Tower.
5. Who marries his son to Lady Jane Grey because of her place in the line of succession to the throne of England?
(a) Thomas Seymour.
(b) Philip Sidney.
(c) Sir Francis Drake.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, what act do Parliament and the Privy Council pass?
2. How does Queen Elizabeth revive the Royal Navy?
3. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
4. Why is Queen Elizabeth called "Queen of the Sea?"
5. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What folly does Queen Elizabeth's cousin, Mary Grey, commit? What previous examples in her own family should have taught her not to take this step?
2. Why does the Duke of Anjou not want to marry Queen Elizabeth when his parents suggest the match?
3. As Queen Elizabeth ages and her old advisors die and are replaced, what kind of man is the queen most fond of and does this fondness differ from the kind of men she was fond of in her youth?
4. Why does Queen Elizabeth offer Lord Robert Dudley as a potential husband to Mary Stuart and what reasons do Mary Stuart and Dudley have for objecting to the union?
5. What factors lead to Mary Stuart's trial and execution?
6. What is the "Bloody Question" and how does it affect Catholic priests in England?
7. Why is Catherine Grey's pregnancy so upsetting to Queen Elizabeth?
8. What does Leicester's secret marriage to Lord Sheffield's widow indicate about his character?
9. What does the fact that she is playing the virginals when the Earl of Essex is executed indicate about Queen Elizabeth's feelings for Essex?
10. Discuss how Lord Darnley becomes king of Scotland and what the Protestant Lords of Scotland feel about his elevated role.
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)