|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes King of Scotland when Mary Stuart is forced to abdicate?
(a) James, her 13 month-old son.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Lord Bothwell.
(d) Lord Darnley.
2. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the cargo of the Spanish ships?
(a) Takes it to the Tower and keeps it.
(b) Sends it to France.
(c) Gives it away to her people.
(d) Sends it to Spain.
3. What happens to Lord Darnley in Edinburgh the day before he marries Mary Stuart?
(a) He drowns.
(b) He is proclaimed King of Scotland.
(c) He gets the plague.
(d) He is killed in a sword fight.
4. To whom is Queen Mary Tudor engaged soon after her ascension to the throne?
(a) Sir Philip Sidney.
(b) Prince Philip of Spain.
(c) Edward Courtenay.
(d) The Duke of Norfolk.
5. How many people attend the state banquet in Westminster hall to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say hair is washed with during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
2. How does Queen Elizabeth revive the Royal Navy?
3. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who is caught with the teenage Princess Elizabeth in his arms and eventually taken to the Tower and executed for planning to marry her without the king's Privy Council?
4. Who ends up in the Tower instead of the princesses because of the attempt to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne?
5. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What luxuries does the prosperity of peace under Queen Elizabeth bring to the English people and how does the queen's home reflect this luxury?
2. Discuss what happens to Amy Dudley and the gossip that arises about Lord Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth after her death.
3. Why does Queen Elizabeth encourage rather than discourage Francis Drake's piracy?
4. What is Elizabeth like at age 25 when she first becomes queen?
5. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
6. What is the order of succession for Henry VIII's three children after his death? What makes Elizabeth's legitimacy come into question?
7. When she breaks her promise to marry him, how does Queen Elizabeth gratify Prince Alenzon?
8. Who is Dr. Dee and why does Queen Elizabeth want to see his speculum of magic glass?
9. Explain Wyatt's rebellion. How does it affect Elizabeth?
10. Discuss the plot of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, and Duke of Northumberland, to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne after King Edward VI dies.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)