|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shows over familiarity with the queen by taking her napkin out of her hand to wipe his sweaty face during a tennis game?
(a) Philip Sidney.
(b) The Duke of Norfolk.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
2. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
(a) Attend the ceremony.
(b) Crown the queen.
(c) Bless the queen.
(d) Offer prayers for the queen.
3. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
(a) That she was secretly married to the Earl of Leicester.
(b) That she was illegitimate and did not deserve the throne.
(c) That she could not have children.
(d) That she was bald.
4. Who does the Spanish Ambassador Don Gerau de Spies plot to marry to Mary Stuart to restore Catholicism to England?
(a) King Philip of Spain.
(b) The Duke of Norfolk.
(c) The Duke of Alva.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
5. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
(a) Sir William Cecil.
(b) The Kingdom of England.
(c) Lord Robert Dudley.
(d) Sir Christopher Hatton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Catholic does William Cecil think will ascend to the throne and revive Catholicism in England if the Protestant Queen Elizabeth dies without a child?
2. In Chapter 5 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, what act do Parliament and the Privy Council pass?
3. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to divorce Lord Darnley?
4. Who wants to marry Don Carlos, a criminal lunatic, to gain an alliance with Spain to help dethrone Elizabeth?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe the effect the book's focus has on the book's shape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Queen Elizabeth encourage rather than discourage Francis Drake's piracy?
2. Why are Lady Lennox and Lady Shrewsbury sent to the Tower when their children marry?
3. Discuss the Earl of Essex's failures in Ireland.
4. What luxuries does the prosperity of peace under Queen Elizabeth bring to the English people and how does the queen's home reflect this luxury?
5. Why is Catherine Grey's pregnancy so upsetting to Queen Elizabeth?
6. When she breaks her promise to marry him, how does Queen Elizabeth gratify Prince Alenzon?
7. Discuss Lord Darnley's claim to the English throne. What factors make him a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
8. What does Leicester's secret marriage to Lord Sheffield's widow indicate about his character?
9. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward the persecution of Catholics in England.
10. What factors help the English prevail over the Spanish Armada?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)