|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
(a) He is her guard while she is in the tower.
(b) He is her lover.
(c) He is her Secretary of State.
(d) He is her cousin.
2. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
(a) The Duke of Northumberland.
(b) The Earl of Essex.
(c) Thomas Seymour.
(d) Edward Seymour.
3. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
4. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
(a) When Elizabeth's father dies.
(b) When they are both imprisoned in the Tower of London.
(c) When Elizabeth almost dies of smallpox.
(d) When the Master of the Horse becomes Elizabeth's guardian.
5. Which of Queen Elizabeth's suitors does Sir William Cecil draw a table of the pros and cons of the potential marriage?
(a) King Philip of Spain.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Prince Alenzon.
(d) Archduke Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Queen Elizabeth suggest as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
2. Who does the Spanish Ambassador Don Gerau de Spies plot to marry to Mary Stuart to restore Catholicism to England?
3. What disease does Queen Elizabeth contract and nearly die of?
4. Who is murdered in the presence of the pregnant Mary Stuart?
5. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Lady Lennox and Lady Shrewsbury sent to the Tower when their children marry?
2. When she breaks her promise to marry him, how does Queen Elizabeth gratify Prince Alenzon?
3. What factors allow Mary Stuart to engage in perpetual intrigue with France and Spain while she is living in England?
4. What makes Parliament break out into fistfights and how does Queen Elizabeth temporarily resolve the issue?
5. Discuss the demand for glass that arises during Queen Elizabeth's reign.
6. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's response to criticism of the Anglican Church for appointing incompetent clergy.
7. Who is Dr. Dee and why does Queen Elizabeth want to see his speculum of magic glass?
8. Discuss Queen Elizabeth's attitude toward the persecution of Catholics in England.
9. Describe Queen Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Robert Dudley at the beginning of her reign.
10. Discuss the irony of the date of Elizabeth's death.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)