|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a comet appears over London, what do many people believe it heralds?
(a) The coming of the plague.
(b) The coming of war.
(c) The coming of great prosperity.
(d) The death of some great person.
2. To whom does Queen Elizabeth confide in Chapter 21 that she hates the idea of marriage more every day?
(a) Sir Philip Sidney.
(b) Sir Francis Walsingham.
(c) The Earl of Leicester.
(d) The Earl of Sussex.
3. When Alenzon and his ambassador are walking with Queen Elizabeth, what actions of the queen indicate her intent to marry Alenzon?
(a) She kisses Alenzon on the lips and gives him a ring.
(b) She tells her Privy Council she agrees to the match.
(c) She sets a wedding date.
(d) She signs a marital contract with France.
4. What is the Earl of Essex charged with in Chapter 29?
(b) Disobedience to the queen.
(d) High treason.
5. What debts does Queen Elizabeth pay off in 1573?
(a) Debts to France.
(b) Debts her father and brother owe London.
(c) Debts to Spain.
(d) Debts to Germany.
6. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
(a) Sir Philip Sidney.
7. Which beloved friend and councilor of Queen Elizabeth's dies at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) Lord Burleigh.
(b) The Earl of Sussex.
(c) Sir Francis Walsingham.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
8. What does Queen Elizabeth ask to see when she visits Dr. John Dee at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) His new wife.
(b) His new horses.
(c) His speculum of magic glass.
(d) his Spanish gold.
9. When Queen Elizabeth is 40 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
(a) Her intelligence.
(b) Her nervous irritability.
(c) Her skill in the hunt.
(d) Her artistry.
10. Where do Catholics massacre Protestants in great numbers in the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
(a) Paris, France.
(d) Rome, Italy.
11. At the end of Chapter 26, how does Queen Elizabeth tell her Privy Council to convert Catholics to Protestants?
(a) By the example of their lives.
(b) By burning or hanging them.
(c) By their swords.
(d) By torture.
12. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
(a) China and Japan.
(b) The Netherlands and France.
(c) Italy and Spain.
(d) Germany and Sweden.
13. To whom does King Philip of Spain decide to give England?
(a) To Prince Alenzon.
(b) To his wife.
(c) To the Earl of Leicester.
(d) To one of his daughters.
14. Why does the Privy Council not mention Lord Burleigh's name to Queen Elizabeth after Burleigh dies?
(a) Queen Elizabeth had Burleigh executed.
(b) The queen hated Burleigh.
(c) Burleigh was guilty of treason against the queen.
(d) It makes Queen Elizabeth cry.
15. How does Alenzon respond when Queen Elizabeth says she will not marry him after having promised to do so?
(a) He marries Mary Stuart.
(b) He says he would rather they both die if he cannot have her.
(c) He declares war on England.
(d) He kills himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Sir Philip Sidney fall in love?
2. What is the name of Francis Drake's pirate ship?
3. What does Sir Thomas Gresham establish in London on Cornhill in 1571?
4. Who marries Lord Sheffield's widow four days before she gives birth to his son?
5. When the Earl of Leicester marries in 1578, what step does his bride's father take to ensure the marriage is legal?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)