|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a sign of Queen Elizabeth's advancing age?
(a) Her robes are too heavy to wear.
(b) She stumbles on the steps of the Throne.
(c) She needs a cane and becomes forgetful.
(d) She wears wigs.
2. What is Queen Elizabeth's appetite like at 60 years-old?
(a) She eats less than ever.
(b) She eats more than ever.
(c) She wants a lot of sweets.
(d) She wants only soft foods like puddings.
3. When Queen Elizabeth has an abscessed tooth but fears to have her tooth pulled, what convinces her to consent to have the procedure done?
(a) The Earl of Leicester offers to pull the tooth for her.
(b) Her abscess causes a high fever that threatens her life.
(c) Herbs can put her to sleep for the procedure.
(d) The Bishop of London has his tooth pulled as an example.
4. What is Queen Elizabeth supposed to be able to cure by prayer and touch?
(c) The plague.
5. How does Queen Elizabeth react when she receives word that Mary Stuart has been beheaded?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She prays for Mary's soul.
(c) She weeps.
(d) She faints.
6. Who is suspected of poisoning Lord Sheffield at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) The Earl of Leicester.
(b) Lord Burleigh.
(c) The Duke of Norfolk.
(d) Sir Francis Walsingham.
7. When the Church of England is criticized for appointing incompetent clergy, which of the following is not the kind of man Queen Elizabeth advises the bishops to appoint?
(a) Former Catholic priests trained in Latin.
(b) Honest, sober, and wise men.
(c) Men who can read the Scriptures to the people.
(d) Men who can preach to the people.
8. Who marries Lord Sheffield's widow four days before she gives birth to his son?
(a) King Philip of Spain.
(b) The Duke of Anjou.
(c) The Earl of Leicester.
(d) The Earl of Essex.
9. In Chapter 26, what are Queen Elizabeth's new young advisors interested in instead of her?
(b) Her position.
(c) Court life.
(d) Younger women.
10. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
(a) China and Japan.
(b) Germany and Sweden.
(c) Italy and Spain.
(d) The Netherlands and France.
11. When Queen Elizabeth is 40 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
(a) Her skill in the hunt.
(b) Her artistry.
(c) Her nervous irritability.
(d) Her intelligence.
12. In Chapter 23, how long are all Jesuits and seminary priests and all those who entered the Catholic priesthood since 1559 given to leave England?
(a) 40 days.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
13. What gift does the Earl of Leicester send Queen Elizabeth on New Year's day in 1580 to distract her from marrying Prince Alenzon?
(a) A new horse.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) Gold buttons with diamonds and rubies on them.
(d) A diamond necklace.
14. When Queen Elizabeth orders the Earl of Essex to stay in Ireland and carry out his orders, what does he do?
(a) He obeys her commands.
(b) He runs away to France.
(c) He ignores her commands and returns to England.
(d) He joins Tyrone's rebellion against the queen.
15. Which of the following statements does not describe Prince Alenzon, Queen Elizabeth's French suitor?
(a) Pitted from smallpox.
(b) Tall, muscular, and handsome.
(c) A large nose.
(d) Puny in size.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Pope respond when two English noblemen ask if assassinating Queen Elizabeth is a sin?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth at age 60 years-old?
3. When the Earl of Oxford mistreats his wife, Ann, to what does Burleigh attribute the younger man's misbehavior?
4. Why does the Privy Council not mention Lord Burleigh's name to Queen Elizabeth after Burleigh dies?
5. To what does Queen Elizabeth ascribe her safety despite so many plots to kill her?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)