|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which beloved friend and councilor of Queen Elizabeth's dies at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) The Earl of Sussex.
(b) Lord Burleigh.
(c) The Earl of Leicester.
(d) Sir Francis Walsingham.
2. What does Queen Elizabeth decide to do with Alenzon?
(a) She has him assassinated.
(b) She marries him.
(c) She helps him seize the French throne from his brother.
(d) She gives him money and sends him to the Netherlands.
3. With whom does Sir Philip Sidney fall in love?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Elizabeth Cavendish.
(c) Penelope Devereux.
(d) Lettice Devereux.
4. In Chapter 26, what are Queen Elizabeth's new young advisors interested in instead of her?
(a) Court life.
(b) Her position.
(d) Younger women.
5. To whom does Lettice Devereux plot to marry her daughter?
(a) Sir Philip Sidney.
(b) King James of Scotland.
(c) The Earl of Sussex.
(d) Prince Alenzon.
6. What physical ailment on Queen Elizabeth's leg heals in 1578?
(b) A broken bone.
(c) A burn.
(d) An ulcer.
7. Why does Lord Burleigh's son-in-law, the Earl of Oxford, become angry with Lord Burleigh in Chapter 17?
(a) Burleigh borrows money from Oxford and fails to repay it.
(b) Burleigh accuses him of infidelity to his wife.
(c) Burleigh fails to save Oxford's cousin, the Duke of Norfolk.
(d) Burleigh forbids him to gamble.
8. What is the Earl of Essex charged with in Chapter 29?
(b) Disobedience to the queen.
(d) High treason.
9. When a comet appears over London, what do many people believe it heralds?
(a) The coming of the plague.
(b) The death of some great person.
(c) The coming of war.
(d) The coming of great prosperity.
10. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth at age 60 years-old?
(a) Although wrinkled, her skin is still flawless white.
(b) She wears wigs a darker red than her own hair.
(c) She is missing some teeth on the left side of her mouth.
(d) She has gained a lot of weight.
11. Who does the Prince of Orange make the titular head of the lands he offers to Queen Elizabeth when the queen refuses to accept his honor?
(a) Lord Burleigh.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Catherine de Medici.
(d) Mary Stuart.
12. What invasion is Mary Stuart anticipating at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) An invasion of England on her behalf by Spain.
(b) An invasion of Scotland by Queen Elizabeth.
(c) An invastion of France by Scotland.
(d) An invastion of England by Scottish Lords.
13. What is Queen Elizabeth's appetite like at 60 years-old?
(a) She eats less than ever.
(b) She wants only soft foods like puddings.
(c) She wants a lot of sweets.
(d) She eats more than ever.
14. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction to the death of her friend and councilor at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) She shuts herself in her quarters and refuses all admittance.
(b) She gives her friend's widow a big estate.
(c) She builds a great memorial to her friend.
(d) She cries and prays for a week.
15. When the Earl of Oxford mistreats his wife, Ann, to what does Burleigh attribute the younger man's misbehavior?
(a) Oxford's preference for another woman.
(b) The Earl's Catholicism and Ann's Protestantism.
(c) Ann's infidelity.
(d) Burleigh's refusal to loan Oxford a large sum of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous poem does Sir Philip Sidney write in honor of the woman he loves?
2. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the treasure Francis Drake brings home from Spanish ships his pirates have looted?
3. To whom does King Philip of Spain decide to give England?
4. What name does Queen Elizabeth give what Sir Thomas Gresham establishes in London in 1571?
5. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)