|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Earl of Essex hides in his house and refuses to answer a summons to appear before the Privy Council, what do Lord Nottingham and Sir Henry Sidney do to get him to come out?
(a) Send for kegs of gunpowder to blow up his house.
(b) Threaten his children.
(c) Have Queen Elizabeth persuade him.
(d) Lie and say he will not be arrested if he comes to them.
2. What gift does the Earl of Leicester send Queen Elizabeth on New Year's day in 1580 to distract her from marrying Prince Alenzon?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) A new horse.
(c) Gold buttons with diamonds and rubies on them.
(d) A pearl necklace.
3. Who is suspected of poisoning Lord Sheffield at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Sir Francis Walsingham.
(b) The Duke of Norfolk.
(c) Lord Burleigh.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
4. When a comet appears over London, what do many people believe it heralds?
(a) The death of some great person.
(b) The coming of great prosperity.
(c) The coming of war.
(d) The coming of the plague.
5. After 1588, a cult develops in Europe exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status as what deities?
(a) Diana or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight.
(b) Ceridwen and Demeter.
(c) Athena and Hera.
(d) Isis and Freya.
6. When Queen Elizabeth does not renew a tax on sweet wines that the Earl of Essex depends on for his income, what does Essex do?
(a) He publicly insults the queen.
(b) He becomes a pirate.
(c) He begs the queen for a loan.
(d) He goes back to Ireland.
7. When Queen Elizabeth orders the Earl of Essex to stay in Ireland and carry out his orders, what does he do?
(a) He runs away to France.
(b) He obeys her commands.
(c) He joins Tyrone's rebellion against the queen.
(d) He ignores her commands and returns to England.
8. When the Irish rebellion becomes urgent, who does Queen Elizabeth initially want to send to Ireland?
(a) Francis Bacon.
(b) Robert Cecil.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
9. What hunchback becomes Queen Elizabeth's advisor and England's Lord Treasurer, replacing his father in the position?
(a) Robert Cecil, Lord Burleigh's son.
(b) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(c) Francis Bacon.
(d) The Earl of Essex.
10. Who says the Massacre of St. Bartholomew is the greatest crime since the Crucifixion?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Lord Burleigh.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
11. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
(a) The Netherlands and France.
(b) Germany and Sweden.
(c) Italy and Spain.
(d) China and Japan.
12. When Alenzon and his ambassador are walking with Queen Elizabeth, what actions of the queen indicate her intent to marry Alenzon?
(a) She signs a marital contract with France.
(b) She tells her Privy Council she agrees to the match.
(c) She sets a wedding date.
(d) She kisses Alenzon on the lips and gives him a ring.
13. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction to the death of her friend and councilor at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) She cries and prays for a week.
(b) She gives her friend's widow a big estate.
(c) She builds a great memorial to her friend.
(d) She shuts herself in her quarters and refuses all admittance.
14. When the Church of England is criticized for appointing incompetent clergy, which of the following is not the kind of man Queen Elizabeth advises the bishops to appoint?
(a) Men who can read the Scriptures to the people.
(b) Former Catholic priests trained in Latin.
(c) Honest, sober, and wise men.
(d) Men who can preach to the people.
15. What name does Queen Elizabeth give what Sir Thomas Gresham establishes in London in 1571?
(a) Silk and Satin.
(b) Elizabeth's Exchange.
(c) The Royal Exchange.
(d) Princess Printing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Duke of Norfolk at the end of Chapter 15?
2. With what married woman and cousin of Queen Elizabeth does the Earl of Leicester have an affair?
3. Who raises Lord Burleigh's grandchildren?
4. What number has Essex's army of 16,000 men been reduced to due to his ineptitude?
5. What does Queen Elizabeth decide to do with Alenzon?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)