|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does King Philip of Spain think England is his territory?
(a) Mary Stuart bequeathed it to him.
(b) His mother was an English princess.
(c) God has given it to him to restore it to Catholicism.
(d) The Pope has given it to him in God's name.
2. In Chapter 26, what are Queen Elizabeth's new young advisors interested in instead of her?
(a) Younger women.
(c) Court life.
(d) Her position.
3. What does Sir Thomas Gresham establish in London on Cornhill in 1571?
(a) A glass-making shop.
(b) A printing shop.
(c) A silk cloth manufacturing firm.
(d) A seat of commercial exchange.
4. Who has a medal made to commemorate the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
(a) Catherine de Medici.
(b) The Pope.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Mary Stuart.
5. What is the Earl of Essex charged with in Chapter 29?
(b) High treason.
(c) Disobedience to the queen.
6. How old is Queen Elizabeth when she dies?
7. Who says the Massacre of St. Bartholomew is the greatest crime since the Crucifixion?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Earl of Leicester.
(d) Lord Burleigh.
8. When Queen Elizabeth does not renew a tax on sweet wines that the Earl of Essex depends on for his income, what does Essex do?
(a) He publicly insults the queen.
(b) He begs the queen for a loan.
(c) He goes back to Ireland.
(d) He becomes a pirate.
9. Who is the Earl of Essex's mother?
(a) Penelope Devereux.
(b) Lettice Devereux.
(c) Lady Lennox.
(d) Catherine Grey.
10. When Queen Elizabeth orders the Earl of Essex to stay in Ireland and carry out his orders, what does he do?
(a) He joins Tyrone's rebellion against the queen.
(b) He runs away to France.
(c) He ignores her commands and returns to England.
(d) He obeys her commands.
11. Who does Mary Stuart say in Chapter 24 that she is bequeathing the English crown to instead of her son, King James?
(a) To the King of Spain.
(b) To Prince Alenzon.
(c) To Lord Bothwell.
(d) To the Earl of Essex.
12. What is the Babington plot?
(a) A plot to murder Elizabeth & put Mary Stuart on the throne.
(b) A plot to kidnap King James of Scotland.
(c) A plot to for Mary Stuart to wed the King of Spain.
(d) A plot to murder Mary Stuart.
13. Why does the Privy Council not mention Lord Burleigh's name to Queen Elizabeth after Burleigh dies?
(a) It makes Queen Elizabeth cry.
(b) Queen Elizabeth had Burleigh executed.
(c) The queen hated Burleigh.
(d) Burleigh was guilty of treason against the queen.
14. What number has Essex's army of 16,000 men been reduced to due to his ineptitude?
15. What skin disease has been thought from the time of Edward the Confessor to be curable by the sovereign's touch?
(c) Scrofula, a tubercular skin infection.
Short Answer Questions
1. After 1588, a cult develops in Europe exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status as what deities?
2. Who entertains Queen Elizabeth at his estate of Kenilworth in Chapter 18?
3. Who is assassinated in 1584?
4. What does Queen Elizabeth wear to ride through her troops and inspire them?
5. When the Irish rebellion becomes urgent, who does Queen Elizabeth initially want to send to Ireland?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)