|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skin disease has been thought from the time of Edward the Confessor to be curable by the sovereign's touch?
(a) Scrofula, a tubercular skin infection.
2. How does the Pope respond when two English noblemen ask if assassinating Queen Elizabeth is a sin?
(a) He asks English Catholics to rise against the queen.
(b) He hires the two nobles to kill the queen.
(c) He says sending her out of the world is God's work, not sin.
(d) He says murder is a sin, no matter who is murdered.
3. When the Earl of Leicester marries in 1578, what step does his bride's father take to ensure the marriage is legal?
(a) He brings the priest to marry the couple himself.
(b) He asks the queen to attend the ceremony.
(c) He insists on witnessing the ceremony.
(d) He threatens to kill Leicester if no wedding occurs.
4. Who will finance the invasion Mary Stuart anticipates?
(a) The Duke of Guise.
(b) The King of Spain.
(c) King James of Scotland.
(d) Catherine de Medici.
5. In Chapter 23, how long are all Jesuits and seminary priests and all those who entered the Catholic priesthood since 1559 given to leave England?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) 40 days.
6. When the Irish rebellion becomes urgent, who does Queen Elizabeth initially want to send to Ireland?
(b) Robert Cecil.
(c) Francis Bacon.
(d) The Earl of Essex.
7. Which of the following statements does not describe Prince Alenzon, Queen Elizabeth's French suitor?
(a) A large nose.
(b) Pitted from smallpox.
(c) Tall, muscular, and handsome.
(d) Puny in size.
8. Who does the Scottish Regent Morton implicate in Lord Darnley's murder?
(a) Mary Stuart.
(b) Lord Burleigh.
(c) The Earl of Leicester.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
9. What does Sir Thomas Gresham establish in London on Cornhill in 1571?
(a) A printing shop.
(b) A silk cloth manufacturing firm.
(c) A glass-making shop.
(d) A seat of commercial exchange.
10. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the treasure Francis Drake brings home from Spanish ships his pirates have looted?
(a) Gives it to Prince Alenzon.
(b) Pays her soldiers to make war on Scotland.
(c) Returns it to Spain.
(d) Keeps it and pays back Drake's investors.
11. Who does the Earl of Leicester secretly marry in 1578?
(a) Douglas Sheffield.
(b) Lady Lennox.
(c) Lettice Devereux.
(d) Mary Stuart.
12. How does Lord Burleigh suggest that Queen Elizabeth rid herself of Alenzon when the prince insists they must marry as she promised?
(a) Offer him Mary Stuart as a bride.
(b) Help him seize the French throne from his brother.
(c) Marry him or pay him a lot of money.
(d) Have him assassinated.
13. Where do Catholics massacre Protestants in great numbers in the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
(c) Rome, Italy.
(d) Paris, France.
14. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
(a) Germany and Sweden.
(b) The Netherlands and France.
(c) Italy and Spain.
(d) China and Japan.
15. When Queen Elizabeth sends the Earl of Essex to Ireland with orders to attack the Irish rebel Tyrone, what does the earl do?
(a) He delays and does not keep the queen informed.
(b) He joins Tyrone.
(c) He goes to Scotland instead.
(d) He is captured by Tyrone.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what country does the king of France threaten to ally if Queen Elizabeth does not marry Alenzon?
2. What is the name of Francis Drake's pirate ship?
3. To whom does Queen Elizabeth confide in Chapter 21 that she hates the idea of marriage more every day?
4. Why does Lord Burleigh's son-in-law, the Earl of Oxford, become angry with Lord Burleigh in Chapter 17?
5. When a comet appears over London, what do many people believe it heralds?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)