|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous poem does Sir Philip Sidney write in honor of the woman he loves?
(b) Love Song to an Enchantress.
(c) Silver Fairies and Golden Gnomes,
(d) Astrophel and Stella.
2. What invasion is Mary Stuart anticipating at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) An invasion of Scotland by Queen Elizabeth.
(b) An invastion of England by Scottish Lords.
(c) An invasion of England on her behalf by Spain.
(d) An invastion of France by Scotland.
3. What factors help the English ships defeat the Spanish Armada when Spain tries to invade England?
(a) The Spanish sailors are not loyal to their king.
(b) The English outnumber the Spanish.
(c) English ships are built lower and faster than Spanish ships.
(d) The Spanish ships are full of holes and not fit to sail.
4. What is the Earl of Essex charged with in Chapter 29?
(a) Disobedience to the queen.
(c) High treason.
5. When Queen Elizabeth is 40 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
(a) Her nervous irritability.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her artistry.
(d) Her skill in the hunt.
6. Who raises Lord Burleigh's grandchildren?
(a) Sir Francis Walsingham.
(b) Lord Burleigh and his wife.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Lord Burleigh's daughter, Ann.
7. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
(a) Italy and Spain.
(b) The Netherlands and France.
(c) China and Japan.
(d) Germany and Sweden.
8. Who says the Massacre of St. Bartholomew is the greatest crime since the Crucifixion?
(a) The Pope.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) The Earl of Leicester.
(d) Lord Burleigh.
9. What debts does Queen Elizabeth pay off in 1573?
(a) Debts her father and brother owe London.
(b) Debts to France.
(c) Debts to Germany.
(d) Debts to Spain.
10. When the Earl of Leicester marries in 1578, what step does his bride's father take to ensure the marriage is legal?
(a) He asks the queen to attend the ceremony.
(b) He threatens to kill Leicester if no wedding occurs.
(c) He insists on witnessing the ceremony.
(d) He brings the priest to marry the couple himself.
11. Who will finance the invasion Mary Stuart anticipates?
(a) King James of Scotland.
(b) The King of Spain.
(c) The Duke of Guise.
(d) Catherine de Medici.
12. What name does Queen Elizabeth give what Sir Thomas Gresham establishes in London in 1571?
(a) The Royal Exchange.
(b) Silk and Satin.
(c) Elizabeth's Exchange.
(d) Princess Printing.
13. Why does Lord Burleigh's son-in-law, the Earl of Oxford, become angry with Lord Burleigh in Chapter 17?
(a) Burleigh forbids him to gamble.
(b) Burleigh accuses him of infidelity to his wife.
(c) Burleigh borrows money from Oxford and fails to repay it.
(d) Burleigh fails to save Oxford's cousin, the Duke of Norfolk.
14. How does the Pope respond when two English noblemen ask if assassinating Queen Elizabeth is a sin?
(a) He says murder is a sin, no matter who is murdered.
(b) He says sending her out of the world is God's work, not sin.
(c) He hires the two nobles to kill the queen.
(d) He asks English Catholics to rise against the queen.
15. When Queen Elizabeth orders the Earl of Essex to stay in Ireland and carry out his orders, what does he do?
(a) He joins Tyrone's rebellion against the queen.
(b) He ignores her commands and returns to England.
(c) He runs away to France.
(d) He obeys her commands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Queen Elizabeth's appetite like at 60 years-old?
2. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
3. With what country does the king of France threaten to ally if Queen Elizabeth does not marry Alenzon?
4. What does Queen Elizabeth do to combat Catherine de Medici's plans for Mary Stuart?
5. What is the Babington plot?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)