|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Catherine de Medici propose as a husband for Mary Stuart in Chapter 15?
(a) Prince Henri, Duke of Anjou.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Sir Christopher Hammond.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
2. What does Queen Elizabeth ask to see when she visits Dr. John Dee at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) His speculum of magic glass.
(b) His new horses.
(c) His new wife.
(d) his Spanish gold.
3. What factors help the English ships defeat the Spanish Armada when Spain tries to invade England?
(a) The Spanish sailors are not loyal to their king.
(b) The Spanish ships are full of holes and not fit to sail.
(c) English ships are built lower and faster than Spanish ships.
(d) The English outnumber the Spanish.
4. Which beloved friend and councilor of Queen Elizabeth's dies at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) The Earl of Sussex.
(b) Lord Burleigh.
(c) Sir Francis Walsingham.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
5. Who has a medal made to commemorate the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
(a) Mary Stuart.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) Catherine de Medici.
(d) The Pope.
6. When the Earl of Leicester marries in 1578, what step does his bride's father take to ensure the marriage is legal?
(a) He asks the queen to attend the ceremony.
(b) He threatens to kill Leicester if no wedding occurs.
(c) He brings the priest to marry the couple himself.
(d) He insists on witnessing the ceremony.
7. What famous poem does Sir Philip Sidney write in honor of the woman he loves?
(a) Astrophel and Stella.
(b) Silver Fairies and Golden Gnomes,
(d) Love Song to an Enchantress.
8. Who entertains Queen Elizabeth at his estate of Kenilworth in Chapter 18?
(a) The Earl of Leicester.
(b) The Duke of Alba.
(c) Sir Henry Sidney.
(d) Lord Burleigh.
9. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
(a) Germany and Sweden.
(b) Italy and Spain.
(c) China and Japan.
(d) The Netherlands and France.
10. To whom does King Philip of Spain decide to give England?
(a) To the Earl of Leicester.
(b) To one of his daughters.
(c) To Prince Alenzon.
(d) To his wife.
11. What happens to the Duke of Norfolk at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) He weds Mary Stuart.
(b) He escapes prison and runs away to Scotland.
(c) He is beheaded.
(d) He is freed from the Tower.
12. To what does Queen Elizabeth ascribe her safety despite so many plots to kill her?
(a) To her Navy.
(b) To God's protection.
(c) To her soldiers.
(d) To her Privy Council.
13. What invasion is Mary Stuart anticipating at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) An invastion of France by Scotland.
(b) An invasion of Scotland by Queen Elizabeth.
(c) An invasion of England on her behalf by Spain.
(d) An invastion of England by Scottish Lords.
14. What physical ailment on Queen Elizabeth's leg heals in 1578?
(a) An ulcer.
(b) A broken bone.
(c) A burn.
15. Who is the Earl of Essex's mother?
(a) Lettice Devereux.
(b) Lady Lennox.
(c) Catherine Grey.
(d) Penelope Devereux.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hunchback becomes Queen Elizabeth's advisor and England's Lord Treasurer, replacing his father in the position?
2. When Queen Elizabeth is 54 years-old, how old is Robert Devereux, the Earl of Essex?
3. Who marries Lord Sheffield's widow four days before she gives birth to his son?
4. What is Queen Elizabeth doing while the Earl of Essex's sentence is carried out?
5. With what married woman and cousin of Queen Elizabeth does the Earl of Leicester have an affair?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)