|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does the Earl of Leicester send Queen Elizabeth on New Year's day in 1580 to distract her from marrying Prince Alenzon?
(a) A new horse.
(b) Gold buttons with diamonds and rubies on them.
(c) A diamond necklace.
(d) A pearl necklace.
2. When rebellion starts in Ireland, who gets angry when Queen Elizabeth sends his uncle to Ireland to handle the situation instead of sending another man he recommends?
(a) The Earl of Essex.
(b) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(c) Francis Bacon.
(d) Robert Cecil.
3. When the Church of England is criticized for appointing incompetent clergy, which of the following is not the kind of man Queen Elizabeth advises the bishops to appoint?
(a) Men who can read the Scriptures to the people.
(b) Men who can preach to the people.
(c) Former Catholic priests trained in Latin.
(d) Honest, sober, and wise men.
4. What is Queen Elizabeth doing while the Earl of Essex's sentence is carried out?
(a) Meeting with her Privy Council.
(b) Playing the virginals.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe Prince Alenzon, Queen Elizabeth's French suitor?
(a) Pitted from smallpox.
(b) Tall, muscular, and handsome.
(c) Puny in size.
(d) A large nose.
6. Why does Lord Burleigh's son-in-law, the Earl of Oxford, become angry with Lord Burleigh in Chapter 17?
(a) Burleigh forbids him to gamble.
(b) Burleigh borrows money from Oxford and fails to repay it.
(c) Burleigh fails to save Oxford's cousin, the Duke of Norfolk.
(d) Burleigh accuses him of infidelity to his wife.
7. To whom does Queen Elizabeth confide in Chapter 21 that she hates the idea of marriage more every day?
(a) The Earl of Sussex.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Sir Francis Walsingham.
(d) Sir Philip Sidney.
8. Who does Catherine de Medici propose as a husband for Mary Stuart in Chapter 15?
(a) Prince Henri, Duke of Anjou.
(b) Sir Christopher Hammond.
(c) The Duke of Northumberland.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
9. How does Alenzon respond when Queen Elizabeth says she will not marry him after having promised to do so?
(a) He marries Mary Stuart.
(b) He says he would rather they both die if he cannot have her.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He declares war on England.
10. What physical ailment on Queen Elizabeth's leg heals in 1578?
(a) A burn.
(c) A broken bone.
(d) An ulcer.
11. Who has a medal made to commemorate the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) The Pope.
(c) Mary Stuart.
(d) Catherine de Medici.
12. What is the Earl of Essex sentenced to for his crime?
(a) To be hung.
(b) To be burned alive.
(c) To be imprisoned in the Tower.
(d) To be beheaded.
13. What is the name of Francis Drake's pirate ship?
(a) The Queen Elizabeth.
(b) The Sea Nymph.
(c) The Moonlight Majesty.
(d) The Golden Hind.
14. Who does the Prince of Orange make the titular head of the lands he offers to Queen Elizabeth when the queen refuses to accept his honor?
(a) Mary Stuart.
(b) Catherine de Medici.
(c) Lord Burleigh.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
15. What famous poem does Sir Philip Sidney write in honor of the woman he loves?
(a) Astrophel and Stella.
(b) Silver Fairies and Golden Gnomes,
(d) Love Song to an Enchantress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What debts does Queen Elizabeth pay off in 1573?
2. What does Queen Elizabeth ask to see when she visits Dr. John Dee at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. How does Queen Elizabeth react when she receives word that Mary Stuart has been beheaded?
4. After 1588, a cult develops in Europe exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status as what deities?
5. When the Earl of Oxford mistreats his wife, Ann, to what does Burleigh attribute the younger man's misbehavior?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)