|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the treasure Francis Drake brings home from Spanish ships his pirates have looted?
(a) Gives it to Prince Alenzon.
(b) Keeps it and pays back Drake's investors.
(c) Pays her soldiers to make war on Scotland.
(d) Returns it to Spain.
2. Who does Mary Stuart say in Chapter 24 that she is bequeathing the English crown to instead of her son, King James?
(a) To Lord Bothwell.
(b) To the King of Spain.
(c) To Prince Alenzon.
(d) To the Earl of Essex.
3. When Queen Elizabeth does not renew a tax on sweet wines that the Earl of Essex depends on for his income, what does Essex do?
(a) He begs the queen for a loan.
(b) He publicly insults the queen.
(c) He goes back to Ireland.
(d) He becomes a pirate.
4. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
(a) Germany and Sweden.
(b) Italy and Spain.
(c) The Netherlands and France.
(d) China and Japan.
5. When the Earl of Leicester marries in 1578, what step does his bride's father take to ensure the marriage is legal?
(a) He brings the priest to marry the couple himself.
(b) He insists on witnessing the ceremony.
(c) He threatens to kill Leicester if no wedding occurs.
(d) He asks the queen to attend the ceremony.
6. To whom does King Philip of Spain decide to give England?
(a) To Prince Alenzon.
(b) To the Earl of Leicester.
(c) To one of his daughters.
(d) To his wife.
7. When a comet appears over London, what do many people believe it heralds?
(a) The coming of war.
(b) The death of some great person.
(c) The coming of the plague.
(d) The coming of great prosperity.
8. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
(b) Sir Philip Sidney.
9. Who does the Earl of Leicester secretly marry in 1578?
(a) Douglas Sheffield.
(b) Lady Lennox.
(c) Lettice Devereux.
(d) Mary Stuart.
10. What does Sir Thomas Gresham establish in London on Cornhill in 1571?
(a) A silk cloth manufacturing firm.
(b) A seat of commercial exchange.
(c) A glass-making shop.
(d) A printing shop.
11. When the Irish rebellion becomes urgent, who does Queen Elizabeth initially want to send to Ireland?
(b) Robert Cecil.
(c) Francis Bacon.
(d) The Earl of Essex.
12. At the end of Chapter 26, how does Queen Elizabeth tell her Privy Council to convert Catholics to Protestants?
(a) By the example of their lives.
(b) By torture.
(c) By burning or hanging them.
(d) By their swords.
13. Who entertains Queen Elizabeth at his estate of Kenilworth in Chapter 18?
(a) Lord Burleigh.
(b) Sir Henry Sidney.
(c) The Duke of Alba.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
14. When rebellion starts in Ireland, who gets angry when Queen Elizabeth sends his uncle to Ireland to handle the situation instead of sending another man he recommends?
(a) The Earl of Essex.
(b) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(c) Robert Cecil.
(d) Francis Bacon.
15. Which of the following is not a sign of Queen Elizabeth's advancing age?
(a) Her robes are too heavy to wear.
(b) She needs a cane and becomes forgetful.
(c) She stumbles on the steps of the Throne.
(d) She wears wigs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does the Earl of Leicester send Queen Elizabeth on New Year's day in 1580 to distract her from marrying Prince Alenzon?
2. To what does Queen Elizabeth ascribe her safety despite so many plots to kill her?
3. What is the Earl of Essex charged with in Chapter 29?
4. What number has Essex's army of 16,000 men been reduced to due to his ineptitude?
5. When Queen Elizabeth sends the Earl of Essex to Ireland with orders to attack the Irish rebel Tyrone, what does the earl do?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)