|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Queen Elizabeth decide to do with Alenzon?
(a) She helps him seize the French throne from his brother.
(b) She gives him money and sends him to the Netherlands.
(c) She has him assassinated.
(d) She marries him.
2. How old is Queen Elizabeth when she dies?
3. When Queen Elizabeth sends the Earl of Essex to Ireland with orders to attack the Irish rebel Tyrone, what does the earl do?
(a) He is captured by Tyrone.
(b) He goes to Scotland instead.
(c) He joins Tyrone.
(d) He delays and does not keep the queen informed.
4. What physical ailment on Queen Elizabeth's leg heals in 1578?
(a) A broken bone.
(b) An ulcer.
(c) A burn.
5. In Chapter 26, what are Queen Elizabeth's new young advisors interested in instead of her?
(a) Younger women.
(b) Court life.
(d) Her position.
6. Where do Catholics massacre Protestants in great numbers in the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
(b) Paris, France.
(c) Rome, Italy.
7. When Queen Elizabeth orders the Earl of Essex to stay in Ireland and carry out his orders, what does he do?
(a) He joins Tyrone's rebellion against the queen.
(b) He runs away to France.
(c) He ignores her commands and returns to England.
(d) He obeys her commands.
8. When rebellion starts in Ireland, who gets angry when Queen Elizabeth sends his uncle to Ireland to handle the situation instead of sending another man he recommends?
(a) Francis Bacon.
(b) The Earl of Essex.
(c) Robert Cecil.
(d) Sir Christopher Hatton.
9. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the treasure Francis Drake brings home from Spanish ships his pirates have looted?
(a) Pays her soldiers to make war on Scotland.
(b) Gives it to Prince Alenzon.
(c) Returns it to Spain.
(d) Keeps it and pays back Drake's investors.
10. What happens to the Duke of Norfolk at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) He escapes prison and runs away to Scotland.
(b) He weds Mary Stuart.
(c) He is beheaded.
(d) He is freed from the Tower.
11. Why does King Philip of Spain think England is his territory?
(a) The Pope has given it to him in God's name.
(b) Mary Stuart bequeathed it to him.
(c) His mother was an English princess.
(d) God has given it to him to restore it to Catholicism.
12. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction to the death of her friend and councilor at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) She cries and prays for a week.
(b) She shuts herself in her quarters and refuses all admittance.
(c) She builds a great memorial to her friend.
(d) She gives her friend's widow a big estate.
13. How long has Queen Elizabeth reigned at 60 years-old?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 35 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 50 years.
14. When the Irish rebellion becomes urgent, who does Queen Elizabeth initially want to send to Ireland?
(a) Francis Bacon.
(b) Robert Cecil.
(d) The Earl of Essex.
15. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
(a) Italy and Spain.
(b) The Netherlands and France.
(c) Germany and Sweden.
(d) China and Japan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the English blame for the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
2. With whom does Sir Philip Sidney fall in love?
3. Who entertains Queen Elizabeth at his estate of Kenilworth in Chapter 18?
4. To whom does King Philip of Spain decide to give England?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe Prince Alenzon, Queen Elizabeth's French suitor?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)