|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sir Thomas Gresham establish in London on Cornhill in 1571?
(a) A silk cloth manufacturing firm.
(b) A printing shop.
(c) A glass-making shop.
(d) A seat of commercial exchange.
2. What does Queen Elizabeth do to combat Catherine de Medici's plans for Mary Stuart?
(a) She forces Mary Stuart to wed the Earl of Leicester.
(b) She sends Mary Stuart to a convent for the rest of her life.
(c) She goes to war with France.
(d) She says she wants the Duke of Anjou for herself.
3. Who does Lady Lennox arrange a marriage with for her son Lord Charles Stuart, a claimant to the English throne?
(a) Mary Stuart.
(b) Catherine Grey.
(c) Elizabeth Cavendish.
(d) Catherine de Medici.
4. What famous poem does Sir Philip Sidney write in honor of the woman he loves?
(a) Silver Fairies and Golden Gnomes,
(b) Astrophel and Stella.
(c) Love Song to an Enchantress.
5. What hunchback becomes Queen Elizabeth's advisor and England's Lord Treasurer, replacing his father in the position?
(a) The Earl of Essex.
(b) Robert Cecil, Lord Burleigh's son.
(c) Francis Bacon.
(d) Sir Christopher Hatton.
6. What happens to the Duke of Norfolk at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) He is freed from the Tower.
(b) He weds Mary Stuart.
(c) He is beheaded.
(d) He escapes prison and runs away to Scotland.
7. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
(a) China and Japan.
(b) Italy and Spain.
(c) The Netherlands and France.
(d) Germany and Sweden.
8. When the Irish rebellion becomes urgent, who does Queen Elizabeth initially want to send to Ireland?
(a) The Earl of Essex.
(c) Robert Cecil.
(d) Francis Bacon.
9. When Queen Elizabeth is 40 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
(a) Her skill in the hunt.
(b) Her nervous irritability.
(c) Her artistry.
(d) Her intelligence.
10. In Chapter 23, how long are all Jesuits and seminary priests and all those who entered the Catholic priesthood since 1559 given to leave England?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) 40 days.
11. When Queen Elizabeth is 54 years-old, how old is Robert Devereux, the Earl of Essex?
12. What is the Earl of Essex charged with in Chapter 29?
(c) High treason.
(d) Disobedience to the queen.
13. What gift does the Earl of Leicester send Queen Elizabeth on New Year's day in 1580 to distract her from marrying Prince Alenzon?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) Gold buttons with diamonds and rubies on them.
(d) A new horse.
14. After 1588, a cult develops in Europe exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status as what deities?
(a) Diana or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight.
(b) Isis and Freya.
(c) Athena and Hera.
(d) Ceridwen and Demeter.
15. Which beloved friend and councilor of Queen Elizabeth's dies at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) Sir Francis Walsingham.
(b) The Earl of Sussex.
(c) Lord Burleigh.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Earl of Leicester marries in 1578, what step does his bride's father take to ensure the marriage is legal?
2. What is the Babington plot?
3. When the Church of England is criticized for appointing incompetent clergy, which of the following is not the kind of man Queen Elizabeth advises the bishops to appoint?
4. When rebellion starts in Ireland, who gets angry when Queen Elizabeth sends his uncle to Ireland to handle the situation instead of sending another man he recommends?
5. Who raises Lord Burleigh's grandchildren?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)