|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Catherine de Medici propose as a husband for Mary Stuart in Chapter 15?
(a) Prince Henri, Duke of Anjou.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) The Duke of Northumberland.
(d) Sir Christopher Hammond.
2. What famous poem does Sir Philip Sidney write in honor of the woman he loves?
(b) Astrophel and Stella.
(c) Love Song to an Enchantress.
(d) Silver Fairies and Golden Gnomes,
3. What is Queen Elizabeth's appetite like at 60 years-old?
(a) She wants only soft foods like puddings.
(b) She eats more than ever.
(c) She wants a lot of sweets.
(d) She eats less than ever.
4. What invasion is Mary Stuart anticipating at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) An invasion of England on her behalf by Spain.
(b) An invastion of France by Scotland.
(c) An invasion of Scotland by Queen Elizabeth.
(d) An invastion of England by Scottish Lords.
5. When Queen Elizabeth is 54 years-old, how old is Robert Devereux, the Earl of Essex?
6. What debts does Queen Elizabeth pay off in 1573?
(a) Debts to Spain.
(b) Debts to France.
(c) Debts to Germany.
(d) Debts her father and brother owe London.
7. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
(b) Sir Philip Sidney.
8. How does Lord Burleigh suggest that Queen Elizabeth rid herself of Alenzon when the prince insists they must marry as she promised?
(a) Marry him or pay him a lot of money.
(b) Help him seize the French throne from his brother.
(c) Have him assassinated.
(d) Offer him Mary Stuart as a bride.
9. When Queen Elizabeth is 40 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
(a) Her intelligence.
(b) Her skill in the hunt.
(c) Her artistry.
(d) Her nervous irritability.
10. With whom does Sir Philip Sidney fall in love?
(a) Elizabeth Cavendish.
(b) Lettice Devereux.
(c) Penelope Devereux.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
11. What factors help the English ships defeat the Spanish Armada when Spain tries to invade England?
(a) The Spanish ships are full of holes and not fit to sail.
(b) The English outnumber the Spanish.
(c) The Spanish sailors are not loyal to their king.
(d) English ships are built lower and faster than Spanish ships.
12. After 1588, a cult develops in Europe exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status as what deities?
(a) Ceridwen and Demeter.
(b) Athena and Hera.
(c) Isis and Freya.
(d) Diana or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight.
13. When the Irish rebellion becomes urgent, who does Queen Elizabeth initially want to send to Ireland?
(b) Robert Cecil.
(c) Francis Bacon.
(d) The Earl of Essex.
14. When Queen Elizabeth orders the Earl of Essex to stay in Ireland and carry out his orders, what does he do?
(a) He joins Tyrone's rebellion against the queen.
(b) He ignores her commands and returns to England.
(c) He obeys her commands.
(d) He runs away to France.
15. How does Queen Elizabeth react when she receives word that Mary Stuart has been beheaded?
(a) She prays for Mary's soul.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She faints.
(d) She weeps.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Queen Elizabeth reigned at 60 years-old?
2. Who entertains Queen Elizabeth at his estate of Kenilworth in Chapter 18?
3. When the Earl of Essex hides in his house and refuses to answer a summons to appear before the Privy Council, what do Lord Nottingham and Sir Henry Sidney do to get him to come out?
4. Which of the following is not a sign of Queen Elizabeth's advancing age?
5. How does Alenzon respond when Queen Elizabeth says she will not marry him after having promised to do so?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)