|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Queen Elizabeth react when she receives word that Mary Stuart has been beheaded?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She prays for Mary's soul.
(c) She weeps.
(d) She faints.
2. Why does Queen Elizabeth refuse the Prince of Orange's request to become queen of additional lands?
(a) She would have to marry him to become the queen.
(b) The lands are too poor to interest her.
(c) Doing so would put England at open war with Spain.
(d) The lands are too infested with pirates to interest her.
3. Who does Lady Lennox arrange a marriage with for her son Lord Charles Stuart, a claimant to the English throne?
(a) Catherine de Medici.
(b) Catherine Grey.
(c) Elizabeth Cavendish.
(d) Mary Stuart.
4. What is Queen Elizabeth supposed to be able to cure by prayer and touch?
(a) The plague.
5. How long has Queen Elizabeth reigned at 60 years-old?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 40 years.
(c) 35 years.
(d) 20 years.
6. What is Queen Elizabeth doing while the Earl of Essex's sentence is carried out?
(b) Playing the virginals.
(c) Meeting with her Privy Council.
7. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the treasure Francis Drake brings home from Spanish ships his pirates have looted?
(a) Returns it to Spain.
(b) Pays her soldiers to make war on Scotland.
(c) Gives it to Prince Alenzon.
(d) Keeps it and pays back Drake's investors.
8. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth at age 60 years-old?
(a) She wears wigs a darker red than her own hair.
(b) She has gained a lot of weight.
(c) She is missing some teeth on the left side of her mouth.
(d) Although wrinkled, her skin is still flawless white.
9. Who is assassinated in 1584?
(a) Prince Alenzon.
(b) Catherine de Medici.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) William of Orange.
10. Which beloved friend and councilor of Queen Elizabeth's dies at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) Lord Burleigh.
(b) The Earl of Sussex.
(c) Sir Francis Walsingham.
(d) The Earl of Leicester.
11. When the Earl of Essex hides in his house and refuses to answer a summons to appear before the Privy Council, what do Lord Nottingham and Sir Henry Sidney do to get him to come out?
(a) Threaten his children.
(b) Lie and say he will not be arrested if he comes to them.
(c) Send for kegs of gunpowder to blow up his house.
(d) Have Queen Elizabeth persuade him.
12. When Queen Elizabeth orders the Earl of Essex to stay in Ireland and carry out his orders, what does he do?
(a) He joins Tyrone's rebellion against the queen.
(b) He runs away to France.
(c) He obeys her commands.
(d) He ignores her commands and returns to England.
13. What happens to Lady Lennox as a result of her matchmaking for a youth of royal blood without the Crown's permission?
(a) She is banished to Scotland.
(b) She is imprisoned in the Tower.
(c) She is hung.
(d) She is beheaded.
14. Where do Catholics massacre Protestants in great numbers in the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) Rome, Italy.
15. After 1588, a cult develops in Europe exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status as what deities?
(a) Ceridwen and Demeter.
(b) Diana or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight.
(c) Athena and Hera.
(d) Isis and Freya.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Francis Drake's pirate ship?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Prince Alenzon, Queen Elizabeth's French suitor?
3. What does Queen Elizabeth ask to see when she visits Dr. John Dee at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. When Alenzon and his ambassador are walking with Queen Elizabeth, what actions of the queen indicate her intent to marry Alenzon?
5. Who has a medal made to commemorate the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)