|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is assassinated in 1584?
(a) Prince Alenzon.
(b) King Philip of Spain.
(c) William of Orange.
(d) Catherine de Medici.
2. How long has Queen Elizabeth reigned at 60 years-old?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 35 years.
3. When the Earl of Leicester marries in 1578, what step does his bride's father take to ensure the marriage is legal?
(a) He insists on witnessing the ceremony.
(b) He threatens to kill Leicester if no wedding occurs.
(c) He brings the priest to marry the couple himself.
(d) He asks the queen to attend the ceremony.
4. What debts does Queen Elizabeth pay off in 1573?
(a) Debts to Spain.
(b) Debts to Germany.
(c) Debts to France.
(d) Debts her father and brother owe London.
5. What is the Earl of Essex charged with in Chapter 29?
(a) Disobedience to the queen.
(b) High treason.
6. Who does the Prince of Orange make the titular head of the lands he offers to Queen Elizabeth when the queen refuses to accept his honor?
(a) Catherine de Medici.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Lord Burleigh.
(d) Mary Stuart.
7. What name does Queen Elizabeth give what Sir Thomas Gresham establishes in London in 1571?
(a) Elizabeth's Exchange.
(b) Silk and Satin.
(c) Princess Printing.
(d) The Royal Exchange.
8. What is Queen Elizabeth supposed to be able to cure by prayer and touch?
(b) The plague.
9. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
(b) Sir Philip Sidney.
10. What is the Babington plot?
(a) A plot to murder Mary Stuart.
(b) A plot to murder Elizabeth & put Mary Stuart on the throne.
(c) A plot to for Mary Stuart to wed the King of Spain.
(d) A plot to kidnap King James of Scotland.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe Prince Alenzon, Queen Elizabeth's French suitor?
(a) Puny in size.
(b) Tall, muscular, and handsome.
(c) A large nose.
(d) Pitted from smallpox.
12. Where do Catholics massacre Protestants in great numbers in the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Rome, Italy.
13. What is the Earl of Essex sentenced to for his crime?
(a) To be beheaded.
(b) To be burned alive.
(c) To be imprisoned in the Tower.
(d) To be hung.
14. Who does Lady Lennox arrange a marriage with for her son Lord Charles Stuart, a claimant to the English throne?
(a) Catherine de Medici.
(b) Catherine Grey.
(c) Mary Stuart.
(d) Elizabeth Cavendish.
15. What gift does the Earl of Leicester send Queen Elizabeth on New Year's day in 1580 to distract her from marrying Prince Alenzon?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A diamond necklace.
(c) Gold buttons with diamonds and rubies on them.
(d) A new horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an entertainment provided for Queen Elizabeth during her visit to Kenilworth?
2. What does Sir Thomas Gresham establish in London on Cornhill in 1571?
3. In addition to anyone who murders Queen Elizabeth, who does the Bond of Associate bind Queen Elizabeth's Privy Council to pursue to death?
4. Who does Mary Stuart say in Chapter 24 that she is bequeathing the English crown to instead of her son, King James?
5. With what country does the king of France threaten to ally if Queen Elizabeth does not marry Alenzon?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)