|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Earl of Oxford mistreats his wife, Ann, to what does Burleigh attribute the younger man's misbehavior?
(a) Ann's infidelity.
(b) Burleigh's refusal to loan Oxford a large sum of money.
(c) Oxford's preference for another woman.
(d) The Earl's Catholicism and Ann's Protestantism.
2. Who is assassinated in 1584?
(a) William of Orange.
(b) Catherine de Medici.
(c) Prince Alenzon.
(d) King Philip of Spain.
3. Who is the Earl of Essex's mother?
(a) Catherine Grey.
(b) Lettice Devereux.
(c) Penelope Devereux.
(d) Lady Lennox.
4. In Chapter 26, what are Queen Elizabeth's new young advisors interested in instead of her?
(b) Her position.
(c) Court life.
(d) Younger women.
5. When Queen Elizabeth is 40 years-old, what trait has become more pronounced in her?
(a) Her skill in the hunt.
(b) Her artistry.
(c) Her nervous irritability.
(d) Her intelligence.
6. What number has Essex's army of 16,000 men been reduced to due to his ineptitude?
7. In addition to anyone who murders Queen Elizabeth, who does the Bond of Associate bind Queen Elizabeth's Privy Council to pursue to death?
(a) Anyone who murders a member of the Privy Council.
(b) Anyone who finances Queen Elizabeth's murder.
(c) Anyone in whose interest Queen Elizabeth is murdered.
(d) Anyone who murders the Earl of Leicester.
8. What poet writes Queen Elizabeth about the disadvantages of marrying Prince Alenzon?
(d) Sir Philip Sidney.
9. How long has Queen Elizabeth reigned at 60 years-old?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 35 years.
(d) 50 years.
10. What is Queen Elizabeth's appetite like at 60 years-old?
(a) She wants a lot of sweets.
(b) She eats more than ever.
(c) She eats less than ever.
(d) She wants only soft foods like puddings.
11. Who do the English blame for the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
(a) Mary Stuart.
(b) Catherine de Medici.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) The Pope.
12. Why does Queen Elizabeth refuse the Prince of Orange's request to become queen of additional lands?
(a) Doing so would put England at open war with Spain.
(b) She would have to marry him to become the queen.
(c) The lands are too poor to interest her.
(d) The lands are too infested with pirates to interest her.
13. Who raises Lord Burleigh's grandchildren?
(a) Sir Francis Walsingham.
(b) Lord Burleigh and his wife.
(c) Lord Burleigh's daughter, Ann.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
14. With what married woman and cousin of Queen Elizabeth does the Earl of Leicester have an affair?
(a) Lady Lennox.
(b) Lady Mary Sidney.
(c) Catherine Grey.
(d) Lettice Devereux.
15. Who entertains Queen Elizabeth at his estate of Kenilworth in Chapter 18?
(a) Sir Henry Sidney.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) The Duke of Alba.
(d) Lord Burleigh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Thomas Gresham establish in London on Cornhill in 1571?
2. What does Queen Elizabeth do to combat Catherine de Medici's plans for Mary Stuart?
3. When a comet appears over London, what do many people believe it heralds?
4. What countries do skilled workers in things like felt, thread, lace, and silk come from, bringing their thriving trades with them?
5. What is the name of Francis Drake's pirate ship?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)