|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
(a) Mary dies after a long illness.
(b) Mary is overthrown by Mary Stuart and taken to the Tower.
(c) Elizabeth weds Edward Courtenay and overthrows Mary.
(d) Mary is murdered by Protestant sympathizers.
2. Who becomes Lord High Admiral of the English navy after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Thomas Seymour, Somerset's brother & Edward's uncle.
(b) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(c) Sir Francis Drake.
(d) Sir Christopher Hatton.
3. According to the introduction, on what does the book focus?
(a) The Spanish Armada.
(b) Life in England during Elizabeth's reign.
(c) Queen Elizabeth I.
(d) The Protestant Reformation.
4. Which of the following is not an action Sir William Cecil advises Queen Elizabeth to take to reduce the danger of Mary Stuart seizing the English throne?
(a) Publicly declaring Mary Stuart guilty of Darnley's murder.
(b) Forcing Mary Stuart to marry the Earl of Leicester.
(c) Keeping Mary Stuart in prison.
(d) Disallowing Mary Stuart's divorce from Bothwell.
5. What does Elizabeth ride in through London to Westminster on the Saturday before her coronation?
(a) A golden coach.
(b) A coach draped with rubies and pearls.
(c) A silk-draped litter carried by eight footmen.
(d) A chariot draped with crimson velvet.
6. Who does Queen Elizabeth suggest as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) Lord Robert Dudley.
(b) King Philip of Spain.
(c) Lord Darnley.
(d) Sir William Cecil.
7. Who is murdered in the presence of the pregnant Mary Stuart?
(b) Lord Darnley.
(c) Lady Lennox.
(d) Catherine de Medici.
8. How do Scotland's Protestant Lords deal with Lord Darnley?
(a) They drown him.
(b) They force him to divorce Mary Stuart.
(c) They imprison him.
(d) They blow up his house and strangle him.
9. Who is Princess Elizabeth's mother?
(a) Catherine of Aragon, King Henry VIII's first wife.
(b) Jane Seymour, King Henry VIII's third wife.
(c) Ann Boleyn, King Henry VIII's second wife.
(d) Catherine Howard, King Henry VIII's fifth wife.
10. Who promotes Lord Darnley as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) The Earl of Leicester.
(b) His mother, Lady Lennox.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) William Cecil.
11. When Queen Elizabeth hesitates to intervene in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland, how does William Cecil persuade her to take action?
(a) He threatens to resign.
(b) He asks Lord Robert Dudley to persuade her.
(c) He tells her the nobles support war.
(d) He tells her Mary Stuart has declared war.
12. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
(a) Two worn-out chemises, a length of black velvet, and shoes.
(b) A needle and thread to sew her own clothing.
(c) A patched and ragged dress.
(d) A golden, pearl-studded dress.
13. How does the author say teeth are cleaned during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
(a) By using a toothbrush just like people today use.
(b) Teeth were never cleaned then.
(c) By rubbing them with a cloth and using a toothpick.
(d) By rinsing the mouth with water and salt.
14. Why is Queen Elizabeth called "Queen of the Sea?"
(a) Because she swims a lot.
(b) Because England is a seafaring nation.
(c) Because of her interest in the Navy.
(d) Because she has a large Navy.
15. Which of the following statements does not describe an effect the pope's actions against Queen Elizabeth have on English Catholics?
(a) They are disobedient to the Pope if loyal to the queen.
(b) Elizabeth's policy of religious compromise is shattered.
(c) Mary Stuart is crowned Queen of England.
(d) They are traitors to the queen if obedient to the Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Scottish Lords expect to find English Catholics waiting to rise and overthrow Elizabeth's government with them, but what do they find instead?
2. To whom does Queen Elizabeth give the Earldom of Leicester?
3. What kind of stockings does Mrs. Montagu give Queen Elizabeth in 1560?
4. What keeps Queen Elizabeth's complexion so white?
5. Which of the following actions does not occur in response to what Queen Elizabeth does with the cargo of the four Spanish ships?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)