|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
(a) He is her guard while she is in the tower.
(b) He is her cousin.
(c) He is her lover.
(d) He is her Secretary of State.
2. Who becomes Lord High Admiral of the English navy after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(b) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(c) Sir Francis Drake.
(d) Thomas Seymour, Somerset's brother & Edward's uncle.
3. Who promotes Lord Darnley as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) His mother, Lady Lennox.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) William Cecil.
4. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
(a) When Elizabeth almost dies of smallpox.
(b) When the Master of the Horse becomes Elizabeth's guardian.
(c) When Elizabeth's father dies.
(d) When they are both imprisoned in the Tower of London.
5. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
(a) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(b) The Kingdom of England.
(c) Sir William Cecil.
(d) Lord Robert Dudley.
6. With Spain supporting Mary Stuart and planning to invade England on her behalf, with what country is it important for Queen Elizabeth and England to form an alliance?
7. What colors does Queen Elizabeth tell Spanish ambassador Don Guzman de Silva are her colors?
(a) Red, green, and blue.
(b) Black and white.
(c) Black, red, and gray.
(d) Yellow and white.
8. What does Elizabeth ride in through London to Westminster on the Saturday before her coronation?
(a) A coach draped with rubies and pearls.
(b) A golden coach.
(c) A chariot draped with crimson velvet.
(d) A silk-draped litter carried by eight footmen.
9. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
(a) That she could not have children.
(b) That she was illegitimate and did not deserve the throne.
(c) That she was secretly married to the Earl of Leicester.
(d) That she was bald.
10. What happens to Lord Darnley in Edinburgh the day before he marries Mary Stuart?
(a) He is killed in a sword fight.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He is proclaimed King of Scotland.
(d) He gets the plague.
11. Where does the author say she gets her information about the queen from?
(a) Spanish and French documents about Elizabeth I.
(b) Secret diaries of Queen Elizabeth.
(c) Various sources already published.
(d) Secret diaries of Lord Burleigh.
12. What powerful country supports the marriage of Mary Stuart to Darnley?
13. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
(a) Perpetual virginity.
(c) Victory in war.
14. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
15. Who does Queen Elizabeth suggest as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) Lord Robert Dudley.
(b) Lord Darnley.
(c) Sir William Cecil.
(d) King Philip of Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Pope Pius take against Queen Elizabeth in 1570?
2. According to King Henry's will, what is the order of succession to the throne?
3. How many people attend the state banquet in Westminster hall to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
5. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction when her Privy Council finds insufficient evidence to charge Norfolk with treason?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)