|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
(a) Perpetual virginity.
(b) Victory in war.
2. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
(a) A needle and thread to sew her own clothing.
(b) A patched and ragged dress.
(c) Two worn-out chemises, a length of black velvet, and shoes.
(d) A golden, pearl-studded dress.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what does Parliament want to force Queen Elizabeth to do?
(b) Declare war on Spain.
(c) Surrender her throne to Catherine Grey.
(d) Declare war on France.
4. What does the author say the aim of the book is in the introduction?
(a) To record the history of the Tudor dynasty.
(b) To collect interesting personal information about Elizabeth I.
(c) To earn the author a doctoral degree.
(d) To show how similar Elizabeth I was to her father Henry VIII.
5. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Pirate ships.
(b) Spanish ships.
(c) French ships.
(d) Swedish ships.
6. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
(a) When the Master of the Horse becomes Elizabeth's guardian.
(b) When Elizabeth's father dies.
(c) When Elizabeth almost dies of smallpox.
(d) When they are both imprisoned in the Tower of London.
7. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
(a) That she was bald.
(b) That she was secretly married to the Earl of Leicester.
(c) That she could not have children.
(d) That she was illegitimate and did not deserve the throne.
8. Which of the following statements does not describe the effect the book's focus has on the book's shape?
(a) The book is arranged in chronological order.
(b) Some important events get a very brief mention.
(c) The shape of the book is very irregular.
(d) Some minor events are relayed in great detail.
9. What is King Henry VIII's relationship to Lady Jane Grey?
(a) He is her great uncle.
(b) He is her grandfather.
(c) He is her father.
(d) He is her uncle.
10. What happens when Mary Stuart desires to return to Scotland through England?
(a) Her boat capsizes in the English Channel.
(b) English Catholics try to put her on the English throne.
(c) She gets smallpox.
(d) Her request for a passport is denied.
11. How do others see Lord Darnley?
(a) As a scholar.
(b) As a brilliant politician.
(c) As a spiritual leader.
(d) As a brainless, arrogant fool.
12. To whom does Queen Elizabeth give the Earldom of Leicester?
(a) Lord Robert Dudley.
(b) Sir William Cecil.
(c) Lord Darnley.
(d) Edward Courtenay.
13. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
(a) Soldiers to invade the English coast.
(b) A potential bridegroom for Queen Elizabeth.
(c) 85,000 pounds of gold.
(d) Jewels and silks from the Orient.
14. What colors does Queen Elizabeth tell Spanish ambassador Don Guzman de Silva are her colors?
(a) Black and white.
(b) Black, red, and gray.
(c) Yellow and white.
(d) Red, green, and blue.
15. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction when her Privy Council finds insufficient evidence to charge Norfolk with treason?
(a) She has Norfolk poisoned in secret to make sure he is dead.
(b) She hires an assassin to kill Norfolk.
(c) She says she will behead him by her own authority and faints.
(d) She is relieved and publicly thanks God.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King Henry's will, what is the order of succession to the throne?
2. With Spain supporting Mary Stuart and planning to invade England on her behalf, with what country is it important for Queen Elizabeth and England to form an alliance?
3. What does Elizabeth ride in through London to Westminster on the Saturday before her coronation?
4. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
5. How long has Queen Elizabeth ruled England at 37 years-old?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)