|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Spanish ships.
(b) Pirate ships.
(c) French ships.
(d) Swedish ships.
2. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the cargo of the Spanish ships?
(a) Sends it to Spain.
(b) Takes it to the Tower and keeps it.
(c) Sends it to France.
(d) Gives it away to her people.
3. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction when her Privy Council finds insufficient evidence to charge Norfolk with treason?
(a) She says she will behead him by her own authority and faints.
(b) She hires an assassin to kill Norfolk.
(c) She is relieved and publicly thanks God.
(d) She has Norfolk poisoned in secret to make sure he is dead.
4. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
(a) That she was bald.
(b) That she could not have children.
(c) That she was secretly married to the Earl of Leicester.
(d) That she was illegitimate and did not deserve the throne.
5. What does the author say the aim of the book is in the introduction?
(a) To record the history of the Tudor dynasty.
(b) To earn the author a doctoral degree.
(c) To show how similar Elizabeth I was to her father Henry VIII.
(d) To collect interesting personal information about Elizabeth I.
6. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
7. Who expects to be named Queen Elizabeth's "heiress-presumptive"?
(a) Catherine Grey.
(b) Mary Stuart.
(c) Lady Lennox.
(d) Kat Ashley.
8. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who is caught with the teenage Princess Elizabeth in his arms and eventually taken to the Tower and executed for planning to marry her without the king's Privy Council?
(a) Lord Burleigh.
(b) Robert Dudley, The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Edward Seymour.
(d) Thomas Seymour.
9. Who does Elizabeth choose as her Master of the Horse when she first becomes queen?
(a) Sir Thomas Wyatt.
(b) Lord Robert Dudley.
(c) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(d) Sir Francis Drake.
10. Who becomes Lord High Admiral of the English navy after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(b) Sir Francis Drake.
(c) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(d) Thomas Seymour, Somerset's brother & Edward's uncle.
11. What religion does Catherine Parr encourage Princess Elizabeth and Prince Edward to study?
(b) The Reformed Church.
12. Which of the following statements does not describe Wyatt's Rebellion depicted in Chapter 3?
(a) A plan to stop the Spanish marriage of Queen Mary.
(b) A plot that results in Elizabeth going to the Tower.
(c) A French plot to make Mary Stuart Queen of England.
(d) A plot to marry Princess Elizabeth to Edward Courtenay.
13. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who appoints himself Duke of Somerset and Protector and advisor to young King Edward after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(b) Edward Seymour, brother of the young king's dead mother.
(c) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(d) Thomas Seymour, brother of the young king's dead mother.
14. What keeps Queen Elizabeth's complexion so white?
(a) Elizabeth is an albino.
(b) Elizabeth wears a white powder.
(c) A lotion of egg white, eggshell, alum, borax & poppyseeds.
(d) Elizabeth avoids sunlight.
15. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
(a) 85,000 pounds of gold.
(b) Soldiers to invade the English coast.
(c) A potential bridegroom for Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Jewels and silks from the Orient.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is murdered in the presence of the pregnant Mary Stuart?
2. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
3. Which of the following actions does not occur in response to what Queen Elizabeth does with the cargo of the four Spanish ships?
4. According to the introduction, on what does the book focus?
5. Which of the following is not a place where glass is used in England as peacetime prosperity develops an increasing market for it?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)