|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Mary Stuart desires to return to Scotland through England?
(a) Her request for a passport is denied.
(b) Her boat capsizes in the English Channel.
(c) She gets smallpox.
(d) English Catholics try to put her on the English throne.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what does Parliament want to force Queen Elizabeth to do?
(a) Surrender her throne to Catherine Grey.
(c) Declare war on France.
(d) Declare war on Spain.
3. What colors does Queen Elizabeth tell Spanish ambassador Don Guzman de Silva are her colors?
(a) Red, green, and blue.
(b) Black and white.
(c) Black, red, and gray.
(d) Yellow and white.
4. What happens to Princess Elizabeth's mother when the princess is just a toddler?
(a) She dies in childbirth.
(b) She is accused of adultery and treason and beheaded.
(c) She dies of smallpox.
(d) She drowns at sea while traveling with the king.
5. According to the introduction, on what does the book focus?
(a) The Protestant Reformation.
(b) Queen Elizabeth I.
(c) Life in England during Elizabeth's reign.
(d) The Spanish Armada.
6. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
(a) He is her Secretary of State.
(b) He is her cousin.
(c) He is her lover.
(d) He is her guard while she is in the tower.
7. How do Scotland's Protestant Lords deal with Lord Darnley?
(a) They force him to divorce Mary Stuart.
(b) They blow up his house and strangle him.
(c) They imprison him.
(d) They drown him.
8. What action does Pope Pius take against Queen Elizabeth in 1570?
(a) He excommunicates her.
(b) He curses her and asks God to smite her.
(c) He hires an assassin to kill her.
(d) He calls Europe to war against her.
9. What is King Henry VIII's relationship to Lady Jane Grey?
(a) He is her father.
(b) He is her uncle.
(c) He is her grandfather.
(d) He is her great uncle.
10. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
(a) Elizabeth weds Edward Courtenay and overthrows Mary.
(b) Mary is overthrown by Mary Stuart and taken to the Tower.
(c) Mary is murdered by Protestant sympathizers.
(d) Mary dies after a long illness.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe Wyatt's Rebellion depicted in Chapter 3?
(a) A French plot to make Mary Stuart Queen of England.
(b) A plan to stop the Spanish marriage of Queen Mary.
(c) A plot that results in Elizabeth going to the Tower.
(d) A plot to marry Princess Elizabeth to Edward Courtenay.
12. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
(a) Jewels and silks from the Orient.
(b) 85,000 pounds of gold.
(c) Soldiers to invade the English coast.
(d) A potential bridegroom for Queen Elizabeth.
13. Which of the following actions does not occur in response to what Queen Elizabeth does with the cargo of the four Spanish ships?
(a) A peace treaty is signed between England and Spain.
(b) England seizes property of Spanish men in England.
(c) Spain seizes English merchants' goods in the Netherlands.
(d) Spain imprisons English merchants in the Netherlands.
14. Why does Queen Elizabeth hesitate to take a more active part in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland?
(a) She fears retribution from Mary Stuart.
(b) Her country is short of funds, men, and ships.
(c) She is Catholic.
(d) She fears French intervention on Scotland's behalf.
15. Who shows over familiarity with the queen by taking her napkin out of her hand to wipe his sweaty face during a tennis game?
(a) The Duke of Norfolk.
(b) King Philip of Spain.
(c) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(d) Philip Sidney.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Mary Stuart agrees to accept the husband Queen Elizabeth suggests for her, what might Elizabeth consent to do for Mary?
2. Who marries his son to Lady Jane Grey because of her place in the line of succession to the throne of England?
3. What happens when the Scottish Lords try to rescue Mary Stuart from Tutbury Castle where she is being held?
4. Who agrees to be the godmother to the infant son of Mary Stuart?
5. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the cargo of the Spanish ships?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)