|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Queen Elizabeth suggest as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) Sir William Cecil.
(b) Lord Darnley.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) Lord Robert Dudley.
2. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to ratify the Treaty of Edinburgh?
(a) It gives Scotland to Spain.
(b) It recognizes Elizabeth as Queen of England.
(c) It gives Scotland to Elizabeth.
(d) It gives Scotland to France.
3. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the effect the book's focus has on the book's shape?
(a) Some important events get a very brief mention.
(b) Some minor events are relayed in great detail.
(c) The shape of the book is very irregular.
(d) The book is arranged in chronological order.
5. How do Scotland's Protestant Lords deal with Lord Darnley?
(a) They drown him.
(b) They imprison him.
(c) They force him to divorce Mary Stuart.
(d) They blow up his house and strangle him.
6. What does the author say hair is washed with during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
(c) Lavender and roses.
(d) Olive oil.
7. Who wants to marry Don Carlos, a criminal lunatic, to gain an alliance with Spain to help dethrone Elizabeth?
(a) Catherine Grey.
(c) Mary Stuart.
(d) Lettice Devereux.
8. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
(a) Perpetual virginity.
(b) Victory in war.
9. Who ends up in the Tower instead of the princesses because of the attempt to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne?
(a) The Duke of Northumberland and Lady Jane Grey.
(b) Sir Thomas Wyatt.
(c) Mary Stuart.
(d) Prince Philip of Spain.
10. What religion does Catherine Parr encourage Princess Elizabeth and Prince Edward to study?
(d) The Reformed Church.
11. Who becomes the ruler of England after King Henry VIII's death when Elizabeth is 14 years-old?
(a) Elizabeth's nine-year-old half brother, Edward.
(b) Lady Jane Grey.
(c) Mary Stuart.
(d) Elizabeth's 27 year-old half sister, Mary Tudor.
12. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
(a) A patched and ragged dress.
(b) Two worn-out chemises, a length of black velvet, and shoes.
(c) A golden, pearl-studded dress.
(d) A needle and thread to sew her own clothing.
13. How long has Queen Elizabeth ruled England at 37 years-old?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 12 years.
14. Which of Queen Elizabeth's suitors does Sir William Cecil draw a table of the pros and cons of the potential marriage?
(a) King Philip of Spain.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) Prince Alenzon.
(d) Archduke Charles.
15. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Spanish ships.
(b) French ships.
(c) Swedish ships.
(d) Pirate ships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction when her Privy Council finds insufficient evidence to charge Norfolk with treason?
2. What powerful country supports the marriage of Mary Stuart to Darnley?
3. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
4. How many people attend the state banquet in Westminster hall to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
5. Where does Queen Elizabeth send Mary Stuart to at the end of Chapter 11?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)