|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Wyatt's Rebellion depicted in Chapter 3?
(a) A plot that results in Elizabeth going to the Tower.
(b) A French plot to make Mary Stuart Queen of England.
(c) A plot to marry Princess Elizabeth to Edward Courtenay.
(d) A plan to stop the Spanish marriage of Queen Mary.
2. Who does the Spanish Ambassador Don Gerau de Spies plot to marry to Mary Stuart to restore Catholicism to England?
(a) The Earl of Leicester.
(b) King Philip of Spain.
(c) The Duke of Norfolk.
(d) The Duke of Alva.
3. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
(a) Bless the queen.
(b) Crown the queen.
(c) Offer prayers for the queen.
(d) Attend the ceremony.
4. What happens when Mary Stuart desires to return to Scotland through England?
(a) She gets smallpox.
(b) Her boat capsizes in the English Channel.
(c) Her request for a passport is denied.
(d) English Catholics try to put her on the English throne.
5. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
(a) A needle and thread to sew her own clothing.
(b) Two worn-out chemises, a length of black velvet, and shoes.
(c) A patched and ragged dress.
(d) A golden, pearl-studded dress.
6. What action does Pope Pius take against Queen Elizabeth in 1570?
(a) He curses her and asks God to smite her.
(b) He hires an assassin to kill her.
(c) He excommunicates her.
(d) He calls Europe to war against her.
7. Why does Queen Elizabeth hesitate to take a more active part in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland?
(a) She fears retribution from Mary Stuart.
(b) Her country is short of funds, men, and ships.
(c) She fears French intervention on Scotland's behalf.
(d) She is Catholic.
8. How do others see Lord Darnley?
(a) As a brilliant politician.
(b) As a brainless, arrogant fool.
(c) As a scholar.
(d) As a spiritual leader.
9. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
(a) A potential bridegroom for Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Soldiers to invade the English coast.
(c) Jewels and silks from the Orient.
(d) 85,000 pounds of gold.
10. Which of the following actions does not occur in response to what Queen Elizabeth does with the cargo of the four Spanish ships?
(a) Spain imprisons English merchants in the Netherlands.
(b) England seizes property of Spanish men in England.
(c) A peace treaty is signed between England and Spain.
(d) Spain seizes English merchants' goods in the Netherlands.
11. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
(a) Lord Robert Dudley.
(b) Sir William Cecil.
(c) The Kingdom of England.
(d) Sir Christopher Hatton.
12. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
(a) Lady Jane Grey.
(b) The Earl of Essex.
(c) Sir Philip Sidney.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
13. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
(a) When the Master of the Horse becomes Elizabeth's guardian.
(b) When Elizabeth almost dies of smallpox.
(c) When Elizabeth's father dies.
(d) When they are both imprisoned in the Tower of London.
14. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
15. Who wants to marry Don Carlos, a criminal lunatic, to gain an alliance with Spain to help dethrone Elizabeth?
(b) Mary Stuart.
(c) Catherine Grey.
(d) Lettice Devereux.
Short Answer Questions
1. What powerful country supports the marriage of Mary Stuart to Darnley?
2. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who appoints himself Duke of Somerset and Protector and advisor to young King Edward after King Henry VIII's death?
4. How many people attend the state banquet in Westminster hall to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
5. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to divorce Lord Darnley?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)