|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is murdered in the presence of the pregnant Mary Stuart?
(b) Lord Darnley.
(c) Lady Lennox.
(d) Catherine de Medici.
2. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Spanish ships.
(b) Pirate ships.
(c) Swedish ships.
(d) French ships.
3. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
(a) The Earl of Essex.
(b) The poet, Sir Philip Sidney.
(c) The Pope.
(d) King Philip of Spain.
4. What does the author say hair is washed with during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
(c) Lavender and roses.
(d) Olive oil.
5. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
6. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
(a) When they are both imprisoned in the Tower of London.
(b) When Elizabeth's father dies.
(c) When Elizabeth almost dies of smallpox.
(d) When the Master of the Horse becomes Elizabeth's guardian.
7. What are pearls said to symbolize?
(d) Psychic ability.
8. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
(a) He is her Secretary of State.
(b) He is her cousin.
(c) He is her guard while she is in the tower.
(d) He is her lover.
9. Who does the Spanish Ambassador Don Gerau de Spies plot to marry to Mary Stuart to restore Catholicism to England?
(a) The Duke of Norfolk.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) The Duke of Alva.
10. During her era, what is unusual about the way Queen Elizabeth bathes?
(a) She does not use soap.
(b) She only bathes once a year.
(c) She bathes in icy water.
(d) She bathes her entire body in an oval bath.
11. Where does the author say she gets her information about the queen from?
(a) Spanish and French documents about Elizabeth I.
(b) Secret diaries of Lord Burleigh.
(c) Secret diaries of Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Various sources already published.
12. How does the author say teeth are cleaned during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
(a) Teeth were never cleaned then.
(b) By rubbing them with a cloth and using a toothpick.
(c) By rinsing the mouth with water and salt.
(d) By using a toothbrush just like people today use.
13. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
(a) Edward Seymour.
(b) The Earl of Essex.
(c) Thomas Seymour.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
14. Which of the following statements does not describe an effect the pope's actions against Queen Elizabeth have on English Catholics?
(a) They are traitors to the queen if obedient to the Pope.
(b) They are disobedient to the Pope if loyal to the queen.
(c) Elizabeth's policy of religious compromise is shattered.
(d) Mary Stuart is crowned Queen of England.
15. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
(a) She has her mother's sallow and dark complexion.
(b) Her eyes are golden and large-pupiled from short sight.
(c) She has red-gold hair and very fair skin.
(d) She closely resembles her father, Henry VIII.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Princess Elizabeth's mother when the princess is just a toddler?
2. Who expects to be named Queen Elizabeth's "heiress-presumptive"?
3. How does Queen Elizabeth revive the Royal Navy?
4. Who agrees to be the godmother to the infant son of Mary Stuart?
5. What keeps Queen Elizabeth's complexion so white?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)