|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the aim of the book is in the introduction?
(a) To show how similar Elizabeth I was to her father Henry VIII.
(b) To collect interesting personal information about Elizabeth I.
(c) To record the history of the Tudor dynasty.
(d) To earn the author a doctoral degree.
2. Where is the Duke of Norfolk sent to at the end of Chapter 12?
(c) The Tower.
3. Who promotes Lord Darnley as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) The Earl of Leicester.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) His mother, Lady Lennox.
(d) William Cecil.
4. When Amy Dudley is found at the bottom of a staircase with a broken neck, who is immediately suspected of murdering her?
(a) Sir Christopher Hammond.
(b) William Cecil.
(c) Mary Stuart.
(d) Her husband, Lord Robert Dudley.
5. What are pearls said to symbolize?
(a) Psychic ability.
6. Who becomes Lord High Admiral of the English navy after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(b) Thomas Seymour, Somerset's brother & Edward's uncle.
(c) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(d) Sir Francis Drake.
7. Who does Queen Elizabeth suggest as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) Lord Robert Dudley.
(b) King Philip of Spain.
(c) Lord Darnley.
(d) Sir William Cecil.
8. How do others see Lord Darnley?
(a) As a brilliant politician.
(b) As a scholar.
(c) As a brainless, arrogant fool.
(d) As a spiritual leader.
9. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
(a) The Earl of Essex.
(b) Edward Seymour.
(c) Thomas Seymour.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
10. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Swedish ships.
(b) Spanish ships.
(c) Pirate ships.
(d) French ships.
11. During her era, what is unusual about the way Queen Elizabeth bathes?
(a) She only bathes once a year.
(b) She does not use soap.
(c) She bathes in icy water.
(d) She bathes her entire body in an oval bath.
12. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to ratify the Treaty of Edinburgh?
(a) It gives Scotland to Elizabeth.
(b) It gives Scotland to Spain.
(c) It recognizes Elizabeth as Queen of England.
(d) It gives Scotland to France.
13. Why is Queen Elizabeth called "Queen of the Sea?"
(a) Because she has a large Navy.
(b) Because England is a seafaring nation.
(c) Because she swims a lot.
(d) Because of her interest in the Navy.
14. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
(a) Offer prayers for the queen.
(b) Crown the queen.
(c) Attend the ceremony.
(d) Bless the queen.
15. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author say she gets her information about the queen from?
2. Which of the following is not a place where glass is used in England as peacetime prosperity develops an increasing market for it?
3. What disease does Queen Elizabeth contract and nearly die of?
4. Who marries his son to Lady Jane Grey because of her place in the line of succession to the throne of England?
5. Who shows over familiarity with the queen by taking her napkin out of her hand to wipe his sweaty face during a tennis game?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)