|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes Lord High Admiral of the English navy after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(b) Sir Francis Drake.
(c) Thomas Seymour, Somerset's brother & Edward's uncle.
(d) Sir Christopher Hatton.
2. Why is Queen Elizabeth called "Queen of the Sea?"
(a) Because England is a seafaring nation.
(b) Because she has a large Navy.
(c) Because she swims a lot.
(d) Because of her interest in the Navy.
3. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
(a) That she was secretly married to the Earl of Leicester.
(b) That she could not have children.
(c) That she was illegitimate and did not deserve the throne.
(d) That she was bald.
4. What colors does Queen Elizabeth tell Spanish ambassador Don Guzman de Silva are her colors?
(a) Black, red, and gray.
(b) Yellow and white.
(c) Red, green, and blue.
(d) Black and white.
5. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
(a) The Earl of Essex.
(b) The Pope.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) The poet, Sir Philip Sidney.
6. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
(a) Mary is overthrown by Mary Stuart and taken to the Tower.
(b) Mary is murdered by Protestant sympathizers.
(c) Elizabeth weds Edward Courtenay and overthrows Mary.
(d) Mary dies after a long illness.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what does Parliament want to force Queen Elizabeth to do?
(b) Declare war on Spain.
(c) Declare war on France.
(d) Surrender her throne to Catherine Grey.
8. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
(a) A golden, pearl-studded dress.
(b) A patched and ragged dress.
(c) Two worn-out chemises, a length of black velvet, and shoes.
(d) A needle and thread to sew her own clothing.
9. Where is the Duke of Norfolk sent to at the end of Chapter 12?
(d) The Tower.
10. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who appoints himself Duke of Somerset and Protector and advisor to young King Edward after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(b) Thomas Seymour, brother of the young king's dead mother.
(c) Edward Seymour, brother of the young king's dead mother.
(d) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
11. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
12. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
13. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
(a) Lady Jane Grey.
(b) The Duke of Northumberland.
(c) Sir Philip Sidney.
(d) The Earl of Essex.
14. How does Queen Elizabeth revive the Royal Navy?
(a) She increases sailors' wages and builds strong ships.
(b) She sends medicine to ailing sailors.
(c) She offers titles and lands for joining the Navy.
(d) She drafts more men into the Navy.
15. According to the introduction, on what does the book focus?
(a) The Spanish Armada.
(b) The Protestant Reformation.
(c) Life in England during Elizabeth's reign.
(d) Queen Elizabeth I.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction when her Privy Council finds insufficient evidence to charge Norfolk with treason?
2. When Amy Dudley is found at the bottom of a staircase with a broken neck, who is immediately suspected of murdering her?
3. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the cargo of the Spanish ships?
4. What keeps Queen Elizabeth's complexion so white?
5. Where does Queen Elizabeth send Mary Stuart to at the end of Chapter 11?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)