|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What powerful country supports the marriage of Mary Stuart to Darnley?
2. In whom does Mary Stuart confide when her marriage to Lord Darnley becomes unhappy?
(a) Rizzio, her Italian secretary.
(b) Queen Elizabeth of England.
(c) Sir William Cecil.
(d) Lady Lennox.
3. What religion is Queen Mary Tudor determined to reinstate as England's national religion when she ascends to the throne?
4. How many people attend the state banquet in Westminster hall to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
5. What does the French ambassador tell the Spanish ambassador about the way Queen Elizabeth spent New Year's Night in 1566?
(a) He says she got drunk.
(b) He says she slept with the Earl of Leicester that night.
(c) He says she danced and played the virginals.
(d) He says she watched a play.
6. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
(a) The Pope.
(b) King Philip of Spain.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
(d) The poet, Sir Philip Sidney.
7. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
(a) Crown the queen.
(b) Bless the queen.
(c) Attend the ceremony.
(d) Offer prayers for the queen.
8. To whom does Queen Elizabeth give the Earldom of Leicester?
(a) Lord Darnley.
(b) Edward Courtenay.
(c) Lord Robert Dudley.
(d) Sir William Cecil.
9. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to ratify the Treaty of Edinburgh?
(a) It recognizes Elizabeth as Queen of England.
(b) It gives Scotland to France.
(c) It gives Scotland to Elizabeth.
(d) It gives Scotland to Spain.
10. Whose household does Princess Elizabeth live in after her father's death?
(a) Her stepmother, Catherine Parr, the Queen Dowager.
(b) Her half sister, Mary Tudor.
(c) The Duke of Somerset.
(d) Mary Stuart.
11. Who becomes the ruler of England after King Henry VIII's death when Elizabeth is 14 years-old?
(a) Elizabeth's 27 year-old half sister, Mary Tudor.
(b) Lady Jane Grey.
(c) Elizabeth's nine-year-old half brother, Edward.
(d) Mary Stuart.
12. What happens to Lord Darnley in Edinburgh the day before he marries Mary Stuart?
(a) He is proclaimed King of Scotland.
(b) He is killed in a sword fight.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He gets the plague.
13. Who is murdered in the presence of the pregnant Mary Stuart?
(a) Catherine de Medici.
(b) Lord Darnley.
(d) Lady Lennox.
14. Why does Queen Elizabeth hesitate to take a more active part in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland?
(a) She fears retribution from Mary Stuart.
(b) Her country is short of funds, men, and ships.
(c) She fears French intervention on Scotland's behalf.
(d) She is Catholic.
15. Who wants to marry Don Carlos, a criminal lunatic, to gain an alliance with Spain to help dethrone Elizabeth?
(a) Lettice Devereux.
(b) Mary Stuart.
(d) Catherine Grey.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who is caught with the teenage Princess Elizabeth in his arms and eventually taken to the Tower and executed for planning to marry her without the king's Privy Council?
2. What Catholic does William Cecil think will ascend to the throne and revive Catholicism in England if the Protestant Queen Elizabeth dies without a child?
3. Who shows over familiarity with the queen by taking her napkin out of her hand to wipe his sweaty face during a tennis game?
4. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
5. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)