|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
(a) A patched and ragged dress.
(b) A golden, pearl-studded dress.
(c) A needle and thread to sew her own clothing.
(d) Two worn-out chemises, a length of black velvet, and shoes.
2. Which of the following is not a place where glass is used in England as peacetime prosperity develops an increasing market for it?
(a) Drinking and looking glasses.
(b) Windows of great houses and shops.
(c) Church altars.
(d) Bathing pools
3. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
(b) Perpetual virginity.
(c) Victory in war.
4. Why does Queen Elizabeth hesitate to take a more active part in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland?
(a) She fears French intervention on Scotland's behalf.
(b) Her country is short of funds, men, and ships.
(c) She is Catholic.
(d) She fears retribution from Mary Stuart.
5. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the cargo of the Spanish ships?
(a) Takes it to the Tower and keeps it.
(b) Sends it to France.
(c) Sends it to Spain.
(d) Gives it away to her people.
6. The Scottish Lords expect to find English Catholics waiting to rise and overthrow Elizabeth's government with them, but what do they find instead?
(a) That the plague has wiped out thousands.
(b) That France has united with Elizabeth to fight the rebellion.
(c) That English Catholics have converted to the Anglican church.
(d) That English Catholics do not want to overthrow Elizabeth.
7. Who does Queen Elizabeth suggest as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) Lord Darnley.
(b) Sir William Cecil.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) Lord Robert Dudley.
8. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Pirate ships.
(b) Spanish ships.
(c) French ships.
(d) Swedish ships.
9. Who agrees to be the godmother to the infant son of Mary Stuart?
(a) Catherine de Medici.
(b) Lady Lennox.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Kat Ashley.
10. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
(a) Offer prayers for the queen.
(b) Bless the queen.
(c) Crown the queen.
(d) Attend the ceremony.
11. To whom does Queen Elizabeth give the Earldom of Leicester?
(a) Edward Courtenay.
(b) Lord Robert Dudley.
(c) Sir William Cecil.
(d) Lord Darnley.
12. If Mary Stuart agrees to accept the husband Queen Elizabeth suggests for her, what might Elizabeth consent to do for Mary?
(a) Give her an Army to help her take the French Crown.
(b) Be godmother to her children.
(c) Name her as heiress-presumptive to the English Crown.
(d) Give her an English estate.
13. Who is murdered in the presence of the pregnant Mary Stuart?
(b) Lady Lennox.
(c) Lord Darnley.
(d) Catherine de Medici.
14. What are pearls said to symbolize?
(d) Psychic ability.
15. With Spain supporting Mary Stuart and planning to invade England on her behalf, with what country is it important for Queen Elizabeth and England to form an alliance?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who appoints himself Duke of Somerset and Protector and advisor to young King Edward after King Henry VIII's death?
2. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
3. What keeps Queen Elizabeth's complexion so white?
4. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
5. What happens to Lord Darnley in Edinburgh the day before he marries Mary Stuart?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)