|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Queen Elizabeth suggest as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) Sir William Cecil.
(b) Lord Robert Dudley.
(c) Lord Darnley.
(d) King Philip of Spain.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
(a) She has her mother's sallow and dark complexion.
(b) She has red-gold hair and very fair skin.
(c) She closely resembles her father, Henry VIII.
(d) Her eyes are golden and large-pupiled from short sight.
3. During her era, what is unusual about the way Queen Elizabeth bathes?
(a) She bathes in icy water.
(b) She does not use soap.
(c) She only bathes once a year.
(d) She bathes her entire body in an oval bath.
4. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who is caught with the teenage Princess Elizabeth in his arms and eventually taken to the Tower and executed for planning to marry her without the king's Privy Council?
(a) Robert Dudley, The Earl of Leicester.
(b) Edward Seymour.
(c) Lord Burleigh.
(d) Thomas Seymour.
5. Who ends up in the Tower instead of the princesses because of the attempt to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne?
(a) The Duke of Northumberland and Lady Jane Grey.
(b) Mary Stuart.
(c) Sir Thomas Wyatt.
(d) Prince Philip of Spain.
6. According to King Henry's will, what is the order of succession to the throne?
(a) Mary, Edward, Lady Jane Grey.
(b) Lady Jane Grey, Edward, Mary.
(c) Edward, Mary, Elizabeth.
(d) Mary, Elizabeth, Edward.
7. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
(b) Perpetual virginity.
(c) Victory in war.
8. What happens to Princess Elizabeth's mother when the princess is just a toddler?
(a) She drowns at sea while traveling with the king.
(b) She dies in childbirth.
(c) She dies of smallpox.
(d) She is accused of adultery and treason and beheaded.
9. To whom is Queen Mary Tudor engaged soon after her ascension to the throne?
(a) Prince Philip of Spain.
(b) The Duke of Norfolk.
(c) Sir Philip Sidney.
(d) Edward Courtenay.
10. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
(a) A needle and thread to sew her own clothing.
(b) Two worn-out chemises, a length of black velvet, and shoes.
(c) A patched and ragged dress.
(d) A golden, pearl-studded dress.
11. To whom does Queen Elizabeth give the Earldom of Leicester?
(a) Edward Courtenay.
(b) Lord Darnley.
(c) Sir William Cecil.
(d) Lord Robert Dudley.
12. Who becomes Lord High Admiral of the English navy after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Sir Francis Drake.
(b) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(c) Thomas Seymour, Somerset's brother & Edward's uncle.
(d) Sir Christopher Hatton.
13. When Queen Elizabeth hesitates to intervene in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland, how does William Cecil persuade her to take action?
(a) He asks Lord Robert Dudley to persuade her.
(b) He threatens to resign.
(c) He tells her the nobles support war.
(d) He tells her Mary Stuart has declared war.
14. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
(a) A potential bridegroom for Queen Elizabeth.
(b) 85,000 pounds of gold.
(c) Soldiers to invade the English coast.
(d) Jewels and silks from the Orient.
15. What does Queen Elizabeth do with the cargo of the Spanish ships?
(a) Takes it to the Tower and keeps it.
(b) Sends it to France.
(c) Gives it away to her people.
(d) Sends it to Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
2. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
3. Where does the author say she gets her information about the queen from?
4. Who marries his son to Lady Jane Grey because of her place in the line of succession to the throne of England?
5. What powerful country supports the marriage of Mary Stuart to Darnley?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)