|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
(a) Offer prayers for the queen.
(b) Bless the queen.
(c) Crown the queen.
(d) Attend the ceremony.
2. What religion does Catherine Parr encourage Princess Elizabeth and Prince Edward to study?
(a) The Reformed Church.
3. Whose household does Princess Elizabeth live in after her father's death?
(a) Mary Stuart.
(b) Her half sister, Mary Tudor.
(c) Her stepmother, Catherine Parr, the Queen Dowager.
(d) The Duke of Somerset.
4. What does the Earl of Leicester tell the French ambassador that Queen Elizabeth said about marriage when she was eight years-old?
(a) That she wanted to marry Leicester.
(b) That she could not wait to marry.
(c) That she would never marry.
(d) That she would marry six times like her father.
5. Who becomes Lord High Admiral of the English navy after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(b) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(c) Thomas Seymour, Somerset's brother & Edward's uncle.
(d) Sir Francis Drake.
6. What Catholic does William Cecil think will ascend to the throne and revive Catholicism in England if the Protestant Queen Elizabeth dies without a child?
(a) The Duke of Norfolk.
(b) Edward Courtenay.
(c) Prince Philip of Spain.
(d) Mary Tudor.
7. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
(a) Soldiers to invade the English coast.
(b) 85,000 pounds of gold.
(c) Jewels and silks from the Orient.
(d) A potential bridegroom for Queen Elizabeth.
8. Which of the following statements does not describe Wyatt's Rebellion depicted in Chapter 3?
(a) A plot that results in Elizabeth going to the Tower.
(b) A plan to stop the Spanish marriage of Queen Mary.
(c) A French plot to make Mary Stuart Queen of England.
(d) A plot to marry Princess Elizabeth to Edward Courtenay.
9. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
(a) That she was secretly married to the Earl of Leicester.
(b) That she could not have children.
(c) That she was illegitimate and did not deserve the throne.
(d) That she was bald.
10. Who becomes King of Scotland when Mary Stuart is forced to abdicate?
(a) Lord Bothwell.
(b) Lord Darnley.
(c) The Earl of Leicester.
(d) James, her 13 month-old son.
11. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
(a) When they are both imprisoned in the Tower of London.
(b) When Elizabeth almost dies of smallpox.
(c) When Elizabeth's father dies.
(d) When the Master of the Horse becomes Elizabeth's guardian.
12. Why is Queen Elizabeth called "Queen of the Sea?"
(a) Because England is a seafaring nation.
(b) Because of her interest in the Navy.
(c) Because she swims a lot.
(d) Because she has a large Navy.
13. When Amy Dudley is found at the bottom of a staircase with a broken neck, who is immediately suspected of murdering her?
(a) Her husband, Lord Robert Dudley.
(b) William Cecil.
(c) Sir Christopher Hammond.
(d) Mary Stuart.
14. What kind of stockings does Mrs. Montagu give Queen Elizabeth in 1560?
(a) Taffeta stockings.
(b) Wool stockings.
(c) Knitted silk stockings.
(d) Worsted stockings.
15. How does Queen Elizabeth revive the Royal Navy?
(a) She drafts more men into the Navy.
(b) She offers titles and lands for joining the Navy.
(c) She increases sailors' wages and builds strong ships.
(d) She sends medicine to ailing sailors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Princess Elizabeth's mother when the princess is just a toddler?
2. In Chapter 5 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, what act do Parliament and the Privy Council pass?
3. Where does the author say she gets her information about the queen from?
4. Which of the following is not an action Sir William Cecil advises Queen Elizabeth to take to reduce the danger of Mary Stuart seizing the English throne?
5. Where is the Duke of Norfolk sent to at the end of Chapter 12?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)