|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Queen Elizabeth hesitates to intervene in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland, how does William Cecil persuade her to take action?
(a) He tells her the nobles support war.
(b) He asks Lord Robert Dudley to persuade her.
(c) He threatens to resign.
(d) He tells her Mary Stuart has declared war.
2. Who keeps Princess Elizabeth from her dying brother's bedside and intercepts her correspondence to the young king?
(a) The Earl of Essex.
(b) Thomas Seymour.
(c) The Duke of Northumberland.
(d) Edward Seymour.
3. Which of the following actions does not occur in response to what Queen Elizabeth does with the cargo of the four Spanish ships?
(a) England seizes property of Spanish men in England.
(b) Spain imprisons English merchants in the Netherlands.
(c) A peace treaty is signed between England and Spain.
(d) Spain seizes English merchants' goods in the Netherlands.
4. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
(a) Attend the ceremony.
(b) Offer prayers for the queen.
(c) Bless the queen.
(d) Crown the queen.
5. During her era, what is unusual about the way Queen Elizabeth bathes?
(a) She bathes her entire body in an oval bath.
(b) She only bathes once a year.
(c) She bathes in icy water.
(d) She does not use soap.
6. What married man does Mary Stuart take as her lover in Chapter 11?
(a) The Earl of Leicester.
(b) Lord Lennox.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) Lord Bothwell.
7. Which of the following statements does not describe Wyatt's Rebellion depicted in Chapter 3?
(a) A plot to marry Princess Elizabeth to Edward Courtenay.
(b) A French plot to make Mary Stuart Queen of England.
(c) A plan to stop the Spanish marriage of Queen Mary.
(d) A plot that results in Elizabeth going to the Tower.
8. With Spain supporting Mary Stuart and planning to invade England on her behalf, with what country is it important for Queen Elizabeth and England to form an alliance?
9. What does Elizabeth ride in through London to Westminster on the Saturday before her coronation?
(a) A chariot draped with crimson velvet.
(b) A coach draped with rubies and pearls.
(c) A silk-draped litter carried by eight footmen.
(d) A golden coach.
10. Who agrees to be the godmother to the infant son of Mary Stuart?
(a) Kat Ashley.
(b) Catherine de Medici.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Lady Lennox.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
(a) She has her mother's sallow and dark complexion.
(b) She has red-gold hair and very fair skin.
(c) Her eyes are golden and large-pupiled from short sight.
(d) She closely resembles her father, Henry VIII.
12. What religion does Catherine Parr encourage Princess Elizabeth and Prince Edward to study?
(b) The Reformed Church.
13. In Chapter 5 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, what act do Parliament and the Privy Council pass?
(a) A law making Robert Dudley her heir.
(b) A law outlawing Catholicism in England.
(c) The Act of Supremacy and Uniformity.
(d) A law raising taxes.
14. To whom does Queen Elizabeth give the Earldom of Leicester?
(a) Lord Darnley.
(b) Edward Courtenay.
(c) Lord Robert Dudley.
(d) Sir William Cecil.
15. How do Scotland's Protestant Lords deal with Lord Darnley?
(a) They force him to divorce Mary Stuart.
(b) They drown him.
(c) They blow up his house and strangle him.
(d) They imprison him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease does Queen Elizabeth contract and nearly die of?
2. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe the effect the book's focus has on the book's shape?
4. Which of Queen Elizabeth's suitors does Sir William Cecil draw a table of the pros and cons of the potential marriage?
5. What are pearls said to symbolize?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)