|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During her era, what is unusual about the way Queen Elizabeth bathes?
(a) She does not use soap.
(b) She bathes her entire body in an oval bath.
(c) She only bathes once a year.
(d) She bathes in icy water.
2. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to ratify the Treaty of Edinburgh?
(a) It recognizes Elizabeth as Queen of England.
(b) It gives Scotland to France.
(c) It gives Scotland to Spain.
(d) It gives Scotland to Elizabeth.
3. What religion is Queen Mary Tudor determined to reinstate as England's national religion when she ascends to the throne?
4. Why is Queen Elizabeth called "Queen of the Sea?"
(a) Because of her interest in the Navy.
(b) Because she swims a lot.
(c) Because she has a large Navy.
(d) Because England is a seafaring nation.
5. How does the author say teeth are cleaned during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
(a) By rubbing them with a cloth and using a toothpick.
(b) By using a toothbrush just like people today use.
(c) By rinsing the mouth with water and salt.
(d) Teeth were never cleaned then.
6. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
7. Who becomes King of Scotland when Mary Stuart is forced to abdicate?
(a) The Earl of Leicester.
(b) Lord Darnley.
(c) Lord Bothwell.
(d) James, her 13 month-old son.
8. Who wants to marry Don Carlos, a criminal lunatic, to gain an alliance with Spain to help dethrone Elizabeth?
(b) Catherine Grey.
(c) Lettice Devereux.
(d) Mary Stuart.
9. Who promotes Lord Darnley as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) William Cecil.
(c) The Earl of Leicester.
(d) His mother, Lady Lennox.
10. What does Elizabeth ride in through London to Westminster on the Saturday before her coronation?
(a) A golden coach.
(b) A coach draped with rubies and pearls.
(c) A chariot draped with crimson velvet.
(d) A silk-draped litter carried by eight footmen.
11. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
(a) He is her lover.
(b) He is her cousin.
(c) He is her guard while she is in the tower.
(d) He is her Secretary of State.
12. In whom does Mary Stuart confide when her marriage to Lord Darnley becomes unhappy?
(a) Queen Elizabeth of England.
(b) Sir William Cecil.
(c) Lady Lennox.
(d) Rizzio, her Italian secretary.
13. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
(a) King Philip of Spain.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
(d) The poet, Sir Philip Sidney.
14. What does the author say hair is washed with during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
(a) Olive oil.
(b) Lavender and roses.
15. With Spain supporting Mary Stuart and planning to invade England on her behalf, with what country is it important for Queen Elizabeth and England to form an alliance?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people attend the state banquet in Westminster hall to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
2. If Mary Stuart agrees to accept the husband Queen Elizabeth suggests for her, what might Elizabeth consent to do for Mary?
3. What is King Henry VIII's relationship to Lady Jane Grey?
4. Who becomes the ruler of England after King Henry VIII's death when Elizabeth is 14 years-old?
5. Who does the Spanish Ambassador Don Gerau de Spies plot to marry to Mary Stuart to restore Catholicism to England?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)