|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Catholic does William Cecil think will ascend to the throne and revive Catholicism in England if the Protestant Queen Elizabeth dies without a child?
(a) Mary Tudor.
(b) Prince Philip of Spain.
(c) Edward Courtenay.
(d) The Duke of Norfolk.
2. What happens when Mary Stuart desires to return to Scotland through England?
(a) Her request for a passport is denied.
(b) Her boat capsizes in the English Channel.
(c) She gets smallpox.
(d) English Catholics try to put her on the English throne.
3. What disease does Queen Elizabeth contract and nearly die of?
4. What do four Spanish ships that take refuge in Plymouth and Southampton in December 1568 carry?
(a) 85,000 pounds of gold.
(b) A potential bridegroom for Queen Elizabeth.
(c) Jewels and silks from the Orient.
(d) Soldiers to invade the English coast.
5. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
(a) Lady Jane Grey.
(b) The Earl of Essex.
(c) Sir Philip Sidney.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
6. In Chapter 5 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, what act do Parliament and the Privy Council pass?
(a) A law making Robert Dudley her heir.
(b) A law raising taxes.
(c) A law outlawing Catholicism in England.
(d) The Act of Supremacy and Uniformity.
7. The Scottish Lords expect to find English Catholics waiting to rise and overthrow Elizabeth's government with them, but what do they find instead?
(a) That France has united with Elizabeth to fight the rebellion.
(b) That English Catholics do not want to overthrow Elizabeth.
(c) That English Catholics have converted to the Anglican church.
(d) That the plague has wiped out thousands.
8. According to the introduction, on what does the book focus?
(a) Queen Elizabeth I.
(b) The Protestant Reformation.
(c) Life in England during Elizabeth's reign.
(d) The Spanish Armada.
9. Who becomes Lord High Admiral of the English navy after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(b) Thomas Seymour, Somerset's brother & Edward's uncle.
(c) Sir Francis Drake.
(d) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
10. What kind of stockings does Mrs. Montagu give Queen Elizabeth in 1560?
(a) Knitted silk stockings.
(b) Taffeta stockings.
(c) Wool stockings.
(d) Worsted stockings.
11. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
(a) A golden, pearl-studded dress.
(b) A patched and ragged dress.
(c) A needle and thread to sew her own clothing.
(d) Two worn-out chemises, a length of black velvet, and shoes.
12. Which of the following statements does not describe the effect the book's focus has on the book's shape?
(a) The book is arranged in chronological order.
(b) The shape of the book is very irregular.
(c) Some important events get a very brief mention.
(d) Some minor events are relayed in great detail.
13. How do others see Lord Darnley?
(a) As a brainless, arrogant fool.
(b) As a scholar.
(c) As a brilliant politician.
(d) As a spiritual leader.
14. If Mary Stuart agrees to accept the husband Queen Elizabeth suggests for her, what might Elizabeth consent to do for Mary?
(a) Give her an English estate.
(b) Give her an Army to help her take the French Crown.
(c) Be godmother to her children.
(d) Name her as heiress-presumptive to the English Crown.
15. What religion does Catherine Parr encourage Princess Elizabeth and Prince Edward to study?
(b) The Reformed Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Queen Elizabeth give the Earldom of Leicester?
2. Why is Queen Elizabeth called "Queen of the Sea?"
3. What religion is Queen Mary Tudor determined to reinstate as England's national religion when she ascends to the throne?
4. Who wants to marry Don Carlos, a criminal lunatic, to gain an alliance with Spain to help dethrone Elizabeth?
5. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to divorce Lord Darnley?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)