|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following actions does not occur in response to what Queen Elizabeth does with the cargo of the four Spanish ships?
(a) England seizes property of Spanish men in England.
(b) Spain seizes English merchants' goods in the Netherlands.
(c) Spain imprisons English merchants in the Netherlands.
(d) A peace treaty is signed between England and Spain.
2. To whom does Elizabeth give a lock of graying red hair in 1572 when she is 39 years-old?
(a) King Philip of Spain.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
(d) The poet, Sir Philip Sidney.
3. What Catholic does William Cecil think will ascend to the throne and revive Catholicism in England if the Protestant Queen Elizabeth dies without a child?
(a) Prince Philip of Spain.
(b) Edward Courtenay.
(c) The Duke of Norfolk.
(d) Mary Tudor.
4. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
(a) Lady Jane Grey.
(b) The Earl of Essex.
(c) Sir Philip Sidney.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
5. What does Elizabeth ride in through London to Westminster on the Saturday before her coronation?
(a) A silk-draped litter carried by eight footmen.
(b) A golden coach.
(c) A chariot draped with crimson velvet.
(d) A coach draped with rubies and pearls.
6. Which of the following statements does not describe Wyatt's Rebellion depicted in Chapter 3?
(a) A plot to marry Princess Elizabeth to Edward Courtenay.
(b) A plan to stop the Spanish marriage of Queen Mary.
(c) A French plot to make Mary Stuart Queen of England.
(d) A plot that results in Elizabeth going to the Tower.
7. How do others see Lord Darnley?
(a) As a brainless, arrogant fool.
(b) As a brilliant politician.
(c) As a scholar.
(d) As a spiritual leader.
8. In whom does Mary Stuart confide when her marriage to Lord Darnley becomes unhappy?
(a) Rizzio, her Italian secretary.
(b) Lady Lennox.
(c) Sir William Cecil.
(d) Queen Elizabeth of England.
9. How many people attend the state banquet in Westminster hall to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
10. Which of the following statements does not describe an effect the pope's actions against Queen Elizabeth have on English Catholics?
(a) They are traitors to the queen if obedient to the Pope.
(b) Mary Stuart is crowned Queen of England.
(c) Elizabeth's policy of religious compromise is shattered.
(d) They are disobedient to the Pope if loyal to the queen.
11. What happens to bring Princess Elizabeth to the English throne in place of Mary, her sister?
(a) Mary is murdered by Protestant sympathizers.
(b) Mary dies after a long illness.
(c) Mary is overthrown by Mary Stuart and taken to the Tower.
(d) Elizabeth weds Edward Courtenay and overthrows Mary.
12. What does the author say the aim of the book is in the introduction?
(a) To show how similar Elizabeth I was to her father Henry VIII.
(b) To collect interesting personal information about Elizabeth I.
(c) To earn the author a doctoral degree.
(d) To record the history of the Tudor dynasty.
13. What kind of stockings does Mrs. Montagu give Queen Elizabeth in 1560?
(a) Taffeta stockings.
(b) Wool stockings.
(c) Worsted stockings.
(d) Knitted silk stockings.
14. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
(a) That she was illegitimate and did not deserve the throne.
(b) That she was bald.
(c) That she was secretly married to the Earl of Leicester.
(d) That she could not have children.
15. Which of the following statements does not describe the effect the book's focus has on the book's shape?
(a) Some minor events are relayed in great detail.
(b) The book is arranged in chronological order.
(c) Some important events get a very brief mention.
(d) The shape of the book is very irregular.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Duke of Norfolk sent to at the end of Chapter 12?
2. What happens when Mary Stuart desires to return to Scotland through England?
3. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. Who shows over familiarity with the queen by taking her napkin out of her hand to wipe his sweaty face during a tennis game?
5. How does the author say teeth are cleaned during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)