|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mary Stuart refuse to ratify the Treaty of Edinburgh?
(a) It recognizes Elizabeth as Queen of England.
(b) It gives Scotland to Spain.
(c) It gives Scotland to France.
(d) It gives Scotland to Elizabeth.
2. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
(a) That she was secretly married to the Earl of Leicester.
(b) That she could not have children.
(c) That she was bald.
(d) That she was illegitimate and did not deserve the throne.
3. Who shows over familiarity with the queen by taking her napkin out of her hand to wipe his sweaty face during a tennis game?
(a) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(b) King Philip of Spain.
(c) Philip Sidney.
(d) The Duke of Norfolk.
4. In Chapter 5 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, what act do Parliament and the Privy Council pass?
(a) A law raising taxes.
(b) A law outlawing Catholicism in England.
(c) The Act of Supremacy and Uniformity.
(d) A law making Robert Dudley her heir.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what does Parliament want to force Queen Elizabeth to do?
(a) Declare war on Spain.
(c) Surrender her throne to Catherine Grey.
(d) Declare war on France.
6. What kind of ships is the English channel swarming with at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Spanish ships.
(b) Swedish ships.
(c) French ships.
(d) Pirate ships.
7. Who does the Spanish Ambassador Don Gerau de Spies plot to marry to Mary Stuart to restore Catholicism to England?
(a) The Duke of Norfolk.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) King Philip of Spain.
(d) The Duke of Alva.
8. What does the author say the aim of the book is in the introduction?
(a) To earn the author a doctoral degree.
(b) To collect interesting personal information about Elizabeth I.
(c) To show how similar Elizabeth I was to her father Henry VIII.
(d) To record the history of the Tudor dynasty.
9. Who marries his son to Lady Jane Grey because of her place in the line of succession to the throne of England?
(a) Sir Francis Drake.
(b) Philip Sidney.
(c) Thomas Seymour.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
10. What is Queen Elizabeth's reaction when her Privy Council finds insufficient evidence to charge Norfolk with treason?
(a) She hires an assassin to kill Norfolk.
(b) She has Norfolk poisoned in secret to make sure he is dead.
(c) She is relieved and publicly thanks God.
(d) She says she will behead him by her own authority and faints.
11. What is King Henry VIII's relationship to Lady Jane Grey?
(a) He is her father.
(b) He is her grandfather.
(c) He is her great uncle.
(d) He is her uncle.
12. Whose household does Princess Elizabeth live in after her father's death?
(a) Mary Stuart.
(b) The Duke of Somerset.
(c) Her half sister, Mary Tudor.
(d) Her stepmother, Catherine Parr, the Queen Dowager.
13. What Catholic does William Cecil think will ascend to the throne and revive Catholicism in England if the Protestant Queen Elizabeth dies without a child?
(a) Edward Courtenay.
(b) Prince Philip of Spain.
(c) The Duke of Norfolk.
(d) Mary Tudor.
14. The Scottish Lords expect to find English Catholics waiting to rise and overthrow Elizabeth's government with them, but what do they find instead?
(a) That France has united with Elizabeth to fight the rebellion.
(b) That English Catholics have converted to the Anglican church.
(c) That English Catholics do not want to overthrow Elizabeth.
(d) That the plague has wiped out thousands.
15. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
(b) Victory in war.
(d) Perpetual virginity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Earl of Leicester tell the French ambassador that Queen Elizabeth said about marriage when she was eight years-old?
2. To whom is Queen Mary Tudor engaged soon after her ascension to the throne?
3. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
4. What do the Catholic bishops not want to do for Queen Elizabeth's coronation?
5. What kind of stockings does Mrs. Montagu give Queen Elizabeth in 1560?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)