|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author say teeth are cleaned during Queen Elizabeth's lifetime?
(a) By using a toothbrush just like people today use.
(b) By rinsing the mouth with water and salt.
(c) Teeth were never cleaned then.
(d) By rubbing them with a cloth and using a toothpick.
2. What color robes does Queen Elizabeth wear for her crowning?
3. What religion is Queen Mary Tudor determined to reinstate as England's national religion when she ascends to the throne?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
(a) She has red-gold hair and very fair skin.
(b) She has her mother's sallow and dark complexion.
(c) Her eyes are golden and large-pupiled from short sight.
(d) She closely resembles her father, Henry VIII.
5. What is King Henry VIII's relationship to Lady Jane Grey?
(a) He is her uncle.
(b) He is her great uncle.
(c) He is her grandfather.
(d) He is her father.
6. Although Elizabeth and her Master of the Horse have known each other since Elizabeth was eight, when does their relationship become closer before her ascension to the throne?
(a) When Elizabeth almost dies of smallpox.
(b) When they are both imprisoned in the Tower of London.
(c) When the Master of the Horse becomes Elizabeth's guardian.
(d) When Elizabeth's father dies.
7. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
(a) Lady Jane Grey.
(b) Sir Philip Sidney.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
8. Who is Princess Elizabeth's mother?
(a) Ann Boleyn, King Henry VIII's second wife.
(b) Catherine Howard, King Henry VIII's fifth wife.
(c) Catherine of Aragon, King Henry VIII's first wife.
(d) Jane Seymour, King Henry VIII's third wife.
9. How old is Elizabeth when she becomes queen of England?
10. What is William Cecil's relationship with Elizabeth in Chapter 4?
(a) He is her guard while she is in the tower.
(b) He is her cousin.
(c) He is her Secretary of State.
(d) He is her lover.
11. What happens to Princess Elizabeth's mother when the princess is just a toddler?
(a) She dies of smallpox.
(b) She dies in childbirth.
(c) She is accused of adultery and treason and beheaded.
(d) She drowns at sea while traveling with the king.
12. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who is caught with the teenage Princess Elizabeth in his arms and eventually taken to the Tower and executed for planning to marry her without the king's Privy Council?
(a) Robert Dudley, The Earl of Leicester.
(b) Edward Seymour.
(c) Thomas Seymour.
(d) Lord Burleigh.
13. Who promotes Lord Darnley as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) The Earl of Leicester.
(c) William Cecil.
(d) His mother, Lady Lennox.
14. What does the French ambassador tell the Spanish ambassador about the way Queen Elizabeth spent New Year's Night in 1566?
(a) He says she slept with the Earl of Leicester that night.
(b) He says she watched a play.
(c) He says she got drunk.
(d) He says she danced and played the virginals.
15. Where does Queen Elizabeth send Mary Stuart to at the end of Chapter 11?
(c) Hatfield Palace.
(d) Tutbury Castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the aim of the book is in the introduction?
2. When representatives of Parliament beg the queen to marry, who does Queen Elizabeth claim to already be married to?
3. When Amy Dudley is found at the bottom of a staircase with a broken neck, who is immediately suspected of murdering her?
4. What disease does Queen Elizabeth contract and nearly die of?
5. Who ends up in the Tower instead of the princesses because of the attempt to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)