|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Queen Elizabeth called "Queen of the Sea?"
(a) Because England is a seafaring nation.
(b) Because of her interest in the Navy.
(c) Because she has a large Navy.
(d) Because she swims a lot.
2. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
(a) Lady Jane Grey.
(b) The Earl of Essex.
(c) Sir Philip Sidney.
(d) The Duke of Northumberland.
3. When Amy Dudley is found at the bottom of a staircase with a broken neck, who is immediately suspected of murdering her?
(a) Her husband, Lord Robert Dudley.
(b) William Cecil.
(c) Sir Christopher Hammond.
(d) Mary Stuart.
4. What story arose about Elizabeth I's appearance after the age of thirty?
(a) That she was secretly married to the Earl of Leicester.
(b) That she could not have children.
(c) That she was bald.
(d) That she was illegitimate and did not deserve the throne.
5. When Mary Stuart demands that Queen Elizabeth send her clothes suitable for her position, what does one of Elizabeth's maids send Mary?
(a) A golden, pearl-studded dress.
(b) A patched and ragged dress.
(c) Two worn-out chemises, a length of black velvet, and shoes.
(d) A needle and thread to sew her own clothing.
6. Which of the following is not an action Sir William Cecil advises Queen Elizabeth to take to reduce the danger of Mary Stuart seizing the English throne?
(a) Publicly declaring Mary Stuart guilty of Darnley's murder.
(b) Disallowing Mary Stuart's divorce from Bothwell.
(c) Keeping Mary Stuart in prison.
(d) Forcing Mary Stuart to marry the Earl of Leicester.
7. In whom does Mary Stuart confide when her marriage to Lord Darnley becomes unhappy?
(a) Queen Elizabeth of England.
(b) Sir William Cecil.
(c) Rizzio, her Italian secretary.
(d) Lady Lennox.
8. Which of the following statements does not describe Queen Elizabeth I's physical appearance?
(a) She has her mother's sallow and dark complexion.
(b) Her eyes are golden and large-pupiled from short sight.
(c) She closely resembles her father, Henry VIII.
(d) She has red-gold hair and very fair skin.
9. What religion does Catherine Parr encourage Princess Elizabeth and Prince Edward to study?
(d) The Reformed Church.
10. Whose household does Princess Elizabeth live in after her father's death?
(a) Mary Stuart.
(b) Her stepmother, Catherine Parr, the Queen Dowager.
(c) Her half sister, Mary Tudor.
(d) The Duke of Somerset.
11. What happens to Lord Darnley in Edinburgh the day before he marries Mary Stuart?
(a) He gets the plague.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He is proclaimed King of Scotland.
(d) He is killed in a sword fight.
12. Who does Queen Elizabeth suggest as a potential husband for Mary Stuart?
(a) Sir William Cecil.
(b) Lord Robert Dudley.
(c) Lord Darnley.
(d) King Philip of Spain.
13. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who appoints himself Duke of Somerset and Protector and advisor to young King Edward after King Henry VIII's death?
(a) Sir Christopher Hatton.
(b) Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester.
(c) Thomas Seymour, brother of the young king's dead mother.
(d) Edward Seymour, brother of the young king's dead mother.
14. To whom is Queen Mary Tudor engaged soon after her ascension to the throne?
(a) Edward Courtenay.
(b) Prince Philip of Spain.
(c) The Duke of Norfolk.
(d) Sir Philip Sidney.
15. How do Scotland's Protestant Lords deal with Lord Darnley?
(a) They force him to divorce Mary Stuart.
(b) They blow up his house and strangle him.
(c) They drown him.
(d) They imprison him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors does Queen Elizabeth tell Spanish ambassador Don Guzman de Silva are her colors?
2. What is King Henry VIII's relationship to Lady Jane Grey?
3. Which of Queen Elizabeth's suitors does Sir William Cecil draw a table of the pros and cons of the potential marriage?
4. What happens when Mary Stuart desires to return to Scotland through England?
5. During her era, what is unusual about the way Queen Elizabeth bathes?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)