|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 28.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After 1588, a cult develops in Europe exalting Queen Elizabeth to supernatural status as what deities?
(a) Diana or Cynthia, goddess of chastity and moonlight.
(b) Isis and Freya.
(c) Athena and Hera.
(d) Ceridwen and Demeter.
2. When Queen Elizabeth does not renew a tax on sweet wines that the Earl of Essex depends on for his income, what does Essex do?
(a) He publicly insults the queen.
(b) He begs the queen for a loan.
(c) He becomes a pirate.
(d) He goes back to Ireland.
3. When the Irish rebellion becomes urgent, who does Queen Elizabeth initially want to send to Ireland?
(a) Francis Bacon.
(c) The Earl of Essex.
(d) Robert Cecil.
4. When Queen Elizabeth is 54 years-old, how old is Robert Devereux, the Earl of Essex?
5. When the Church of England is criticized for appointing incompetent clergy, which of the following is not the kind of man Queen Elizabeth advises the bishops to appoint?
(a) Former Catholic priests trained in Latin.
(b) Men who can read the Scriptures to the people.
(c) Honest, sober, and wise men.
(d) Men who can preach to the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factors help the English ships defeat the Spanish Armada when Spain tries to invade England?
2. Who is suspected of poisoning Lord Sheffield at the end of Chapter 16?
3. What famous poem does Sir Philip Sidney write in honor of the woman he loves?
4. Who is the Earl of Essex's mother?
5. To whom does Queen Elizabeth give the Earldom of Leicester?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)