|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does Pope Pius take against Queen Elizabeth in 1570?
(a) He excommunicates her.
(b) He calls Europe to war against her.
(c) He curses her and asks God to smite her.
(d) He hires an assassin to kill her.
2. According to some books on heraldry of the period, what do the colors Queen Elizabeth tells Don Guzman de Silva are hers represent?
(a) Perpetual virginity.
(b) Victory in war.
3. In Chapter 2 of <i>Elizabeth the Great</i>, who is caught with the teenage Princess Elizabeth in his arms and eventually taken to the Tower and executed for planning to marry her without the king's Privy Council?
(a) Robert Dudley, The Earl of Leicester.
(b) Edward Seymour.
(c) Lord Burleigh.
(d) Thomas Seymour.
4. With what married woman and cousin of Queen Elizabeth does the Earl of Leicester have an affair?
(a) Catherine Grey.
(b) Lady Mary Sidney.
(c) Lettice Devereux.
(d) Lady Lennox.
5. What does Sir Thomas Gresham establish in London on Cornhill in 1571?
(a) A silk cloth manufacturing firm.
(b) A seat of commercial exchange.
(c) A glass-making shop.
(d) A printing shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to seize Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth after King Edward's death, proclaiming Lady Jane Grey as queen of England in place of Henry VIII's daughters?
2. Who entertains Queen Elizabeth at his estate of Kenilworth in Chapter 18?
3. To whom is Queen Mary Tudor engaged soon after her ascension to the throne?
4. Why is Queen Elizabeth called "Queen of the Sea?"
5. Which of the following statements does not describe the effect the book's focus has on the book's shape?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)