|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Queen Elizabeth hesitates to intervene in the Protestant rebellion in Scotland, how does William Cecil persuade her to take action?
(a) He asks Lord Robert Dudley to persuade her.
(b) He tells her Mary Stuart has declared war.
(c) He threatens to resign.
(d) He tells her the nobles support war.
2. Who has a medal made to commemorate the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Mary Stuart.
(c) The Pope.
(d) Catherine de Medici.
3. What action does Pope Pius take against Queen Elizabeth in 1570?
(a) He curses her and asks God to smite her.
(b) He hires an assassin to kill her.
(c) He excommunicates her.
(d) He calls Europe to war against her.
4. Which of Queen Elizabeth's suitors does Sir William Cecil draw a table of the pros and cons of the potential marriage?
(a) Prince Alenzon.
(b) Archduke Charles.
(c) The Earl of Leicester.
(d) King Philip of Spain.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe an effect the pope's actions against Queen Elizabeth have on English Catholics?
(a) Elizabeth's policy of religious compromise is shattered.
(b) They are disobedient to the Pope if loyal to the queen.
(c) Mary Stuart is crowned Queen of England.
(d) They are traitors to the queen if obedient to the Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the English blame for the Massacre of St. Bartholomew?
2. Who expects to be named Queen Elizabeth's "heiress-presumptive"?
3. Who says the Massacre of St. Bartholomew is the greatest crime since the Crucifixion?
4. To whom is Queen Mary Tudor engaged soon after her ascension to the throne?
5. Who is suspected of poisoning Lord Sheffield at the end of Chapter 16?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)