|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Elizabeth I excommunicated?
2. Why did Elizabeth I often change residences?
(a) Because of the stench of the court.
(b) Because of the demand on the food supply.
(c) Because of boredom.
(d) Because of the threat of rebellions.
3. Who took control of Scotland?
(a) No one.
(b) James' supporters.
(c) Moray's supporters.
(d) Mary's supporters.
4. Who succeeded Philip II when he died in September of 1598?
(a) His brother.
(b) His son Philip III.
(c) His wife.
(d) His daughter.
5. When did England and Spain hold peace talks?
6. What event prompted the British to send troops to the Netherlands?
(a) The capture of James.
(b) The death of the Prince of Orange.
(c) A massacre.
(d) The death of Mary Queen of Scots.
7. When did Pope Gregory want Philip to include England in invasion plans, according to Chapter 12?
8. When did Elizabeth plan an expedition against Spain?
9. Who gave hope to the Catholics during the reign of Elizabeth I?
(c) The Archbishop of Westminster.
(d) Mary Queen of Scots.
10. What country wanted Mary restored to the throne of Scotland?
11. Where did Philip accept Protestantism?
12. When did Charles IX die?
(a) May 1574.
(b) April 1574.
(c) June 1574.
(d) March 1574.
13. Who joined the Spanish expedition that angered Elizabeth?
(a) Francis Drake.
(b) Lord Howard.
(c) Duke of Sidonia.
(d) Robert, Earl of Essex.
14. How many houses did Elizabeth have?
15. How old was Robert, Earl of Essex in 1587?
(a) 24 years old.
(b) 22 years old.
(c) 20 years old.
(d) 28 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Parliament expand in 1570?
2. Who was executed on February 8, 1587?
3. What did James of Scotland want?
4. What did the government fear Catholics would do in case of an invasion of England?
5. Who did Philip authorize to negotiate with the British if Spain could NOT win a land battle?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)