|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Elizabeth plan an expedition against Spain?
2. Who did Philip want to inherit England's throne?
(a) He wanted to inherit the throne himself.
(b) One of his daughters.
(c) One of his sons.
(d) One of his nephews.
3. Who was named Regent of the Kingdom of Scotland?
(a) The Earl of Moray.
(b) The Earl of Eglington.
(c) The Earl of Strathmore.
(d) The Earl of Huntingdore.
4. Who did Elizabeth I want sent to England in order to protect him?
(a) Prince James.
(b) Prince Henry.
(c) Prince William.
(d) Prince Philip.
5. Who did the Duke of Norfolk attempt to unseat?
(c) The Privy Council.
6. When did Elizabeth I give Francis Drake permission to attack Spanish ships?
7. Who did Elizabeth I send to Scotland after Mary's capture?
(a) Sir Nicholas Throckmorton.
(c) The Duke of Norfolk.
(d) The Earl of Essex.
8. Who founded a seminary in 1568?
(a) William Allen.
(b) David Calhoun.
(c) George Calvert.
(d) Charles I.
9. Who did Philip authorize to negotiate with the British if Spain could NOT win a land battle?
(a) Regent of Parma.
(b) Lord of Parma.
(c) Baron of Parma.
(d) The Duke of Parma.
10. Who succeeded Philip II when he died in September of 1598?
(a) His son Philip III.
(b) His wife.
(c) His brother.
(d) His daughter.
11. What did the massacre in Antwerp do for the Dutch people?
(a) United them against Spain.
(b) United them against the Roman Church.
(c) United them against England.
(d) United them against France.
12. Which author often performed for the Queen?
13. What happened when the British reached Lisbon that made them return to Britain?
(a) They found the Spanish army to be twice as large as theirs.
(b) They could not find food.
(c) They lost their money ship.
(d) The population didn't support them.
14. When did England and Spain hold peace talks?
15. How old was Robert, Earl of Essex in 1587?
(a) 22 years old.
(b) 28 years old.
(c) 24 years old.
(d) 20 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Walter Raleigh when he arrived at Elizabeth's court?
2. What country wanted Mary restored to the throne of Scotland?
3. What were Elizabeth I's main London residences?
4. Who succeeded Archbishop Parker?
5. When did Walter Raleigh arrive at Elizabeth's court?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)