|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maria feel about returning home after she meets Ralf in Chapter 19?
2. What does Maria's coworker and customer show her in Chapter 28?
3. What does Milan think Maria is ready for after spending an evening with Ralf?
4. How does Maria feel about the place she and Ralf go?
5. Who did her surprise guest restore his relationship with through sadomasochistic rituals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ralf begin to represent for Maria after their first connection?
2. How does Maria feel about going home after she tells Milan she is quitting?
3. How does Ralf react to Maria discussing her experience with Terence of pleasure in pain?
4. Why does Maria hesitate about going to the exhibition with Ralf?
5. Describe the scene that Maria witnesses between her 2 coworkers.
6. Describe how Maria's second experience with Terence is different from the first.
7. Describe Maria and Ralf's third encounter at the hotel.
8. How do Maria and Ralf connect in their first time when he is her customer?
9. Describe what Ralf show's Maria when they wake the morning after her experience with the stones.
10. Describe how Terence humiliates Maria in their second time together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Coelho uses dramatic irony when the librarian lectures Maria about her new knowledge on sex.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the initial intimate experiences Maria has with Ralf with those that Maria has with Terence.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the title's significance and how Maria determines her calculations.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)