|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria do as her surprise guest pretends to sleep after their sexual experience?
2. Where is Ralf supposed to meet Maria again after the night he is her customer?
3. Where does Ralf invite Maria to accompany him after they tied something around their faces?
4. How much money does Maria take out of her bank account?
5. What do Maria and Ralf tie around their face?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the librarian react to the books she reads?
2. How does Maria react to Ralf coming to visit her at work?
3. Why does Maria hesitate about going to the exhibition with Ralf?
4. Explain how Maria reacts to her second experience with Terence?
5. Describe what Maria has to consciously push out of her head?
6. How does Ralf react to Maria discussing her experience with Terence of pleasure in pain?
7. What does Ralf force Maria to do in relation to pleasure in pain?
8. How is Maria's life very lucrative by her first experience with Ralf?
9. How does Maria feel about going home after she tells Milan she is quitting?
10. Describe Maria's feelings about leaving Geneva after she buys her ticket home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Maria's pleasure in pain experiences with Terence and Ralf. Why do they differ so greatly?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Maria's diary entry about the caged bird in relationship to Maria's own state of being.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Coelho uses dramatic irony when the librarian lectures Maria about her new knowledge on sex.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)