|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Maria writing a letter after meeting Ralf?
2. How does Maria feel with her special client?
3. Who does Ralf NOT mention being a famous prostitute?
4. What does Ralf show Maria to distract her from talking about pleasure in pain?
5. What does Maria choose not to tell Ralf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Ralf show's Maria when they wake the morning after her experience with the stones.
2. Describe what the Violet Rod is.
3. How does the librarian react to the books she reads?
4. How does Milan react to the coworker's situation that Maria witnesses?
5. How do Maria and Ralf connect in their first time when he is her customer?
6. How does Milan react to Maria spending an evening with Ralf?
7. Why does Maria hesitate about going to the exhibition with Ralf?
8. What does Ralf force Maria to do in relation to pleasure in pain?
9. How does Maria feel about going home after she tells Milan she is quitting?
10. Describe Maria and Ralf's third encounter at the hotel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the history of prostitution is prevalent throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Coelho uses dramatic irony when the librarian lectures Maria about her new knowledge on sex.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the title's significance and how Maria determines her calculations.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)