|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Maria and Ralf tie around their face?
2. What does Maria choose not to tell Ralf?
3. What will Maria's first special client do for Maria?
4. How does Maria feel when she leaves her special client after their first encounter?
5. What is different about the setting in Maria's second encounter with her surprise guest in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maria hesitate about going to the exhibition with Ralf?
2. Describe how Maria's second experience with Terence is different from the first.
3. Describe Maria's feelings about leaving Geneva after she buys her ticket home.
4. How does Milan react to Maria spending an evening with Ralf?
5. Explain how Maria reacts to her second experience with Terence?
6. Describe what the Violet Rod is.
7. How does Maria react to Ralf coming to visit her at work?
8. Describe Maria and Ralf's third encounter at the hotel.
9. What does Ralf begin to represent for Maria after their first connection?
10. How does Maria feel about her home and Geneva after her first experience with Ralf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different moments where Maria ignores all forms of caution and then when she adheres to caution. Explain what makes her react cautiously to some situations and not to others.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Maria becomes closed off to any deep feelings. Why does this happen and how does she overcome her desperation to feel again?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's cinematic moment and how that supports her entire motivation and desire throughout the novel.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)