|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria continually do for her surprise guest in Chapter 23?
2. Where has Maria's surprise customer in Chapter 23 flown from?
3. What does Maria fear that she has to push from entering her head after meeting her special client for the first time?
4. What will Maria's first special client do for Maria?
5. What does Maria entice Ralf with on his night as a customer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Maria's second experience with Terence is different from the first.
2. How is Maria's life very lucrative by her first experience with Ralf?
3. What does Ralf begin to represent for Maria after their first connection?
4. What happens between Maria and Ralf the night before Maria is to fly home?
5. Describe what Ralf show's Maria when they wake the morning after her experience with the stones.
6. Describe Maria and Ralf's third encounter at the hotel.
7. Describe how Terence humiliates Maria in their second time together.
8. Describe what Maria has to consciously push out of her head?
9. How does Ralf react to Maria discussing her experience with Terence of pleasure in pain?
10. How does Milan react to Maria spending an evening with Ralf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Coelho wrote the novel in the third person omniscient point of view. Compare and contrast what the third person omniscient point of view offers the reader that first person cannot.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Coelho uses dramatic irony when the librarian lectures Maria about her new knowledge on sex.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Latin culture's mentality of living differs from Maria's mentality of living. What does the culture place great importance on that Maria disregards?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)