|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the excuse Maria's surprise guest gets to have for going to Geneva so frequently?
2. Who surprises Maria when he enters the bar at work one ordinary night?
3. Where does Ralf invite Maria to accompany him after they tied something around their faces?
4. Where does Maria have to stop on her way back to Brazil?
5. Where are the two co-workers who get in a fight from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Ralf show's Maria when they wake the morning after her experience with the stones.
2. What does Ralf begin to represent for Maria after their first connection?
3. How does Ralf react to Maria discussing her experience with Terence of pleasure in pain?
4. How does Milan react to the coworker's situation that Maria witnesses?
5. What does Ralf force Maria to do in relation to pleasure in pain?
6. Describe Maria and Ralf's first experience when he is her customer.
7. How does Maria react to Ralf coming to visit her at work?
8. Describe what the Violet Rod is.
9. How do Maria and Ralf entice each other after Maria's first time with Terence?
10. How does the librarian react to the books she reads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Maria's pleasure in pain experiences with Terence and Ralf. Why do they differ so greatly?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the history of prostitution is prevalent throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different moments where Maria ignores all forms of caution and then when she adheres to caution. Explain what makes her react cautiously to some situations and not to others.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)