|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralf show Maria to distract her from talking about pleasure in pain?
2. Who is aware of the trips Maria's surprise guest takes to Geneva?
3. What do Maria and Ralf tie around their face?
4. What does Maria do when she waits for her departure?
5. Who does Maria write a letter to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Maria has to consciously push out of her head?
2. How does Maria feel about going home after she tells Milan she is quitting?
3. Describe what the Violet Rod is.
4. Describe how Maria's second experience with Terence is different from the first.
5. How do Maria and Ralf connect in their first time when he is her customer?
6. How do Maria and Ralf entice each other after Maria's first time with Terence?
7. Describe how Terence humiliates Maria in their second time together.
8. Describe Terence's personal life in relation to his trips to Geneva.
9. Describe what Ralf show's Maria when they wake the morning after her experience with the stones.
10. How does the librarian react to the books she reads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different moments where Maria ignores all forms of caution and then when she adheres to caution. Explain what makes her react cautiously to some situations and not to others.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Coelho wrote the novel in the third person omniscient point of view. Compare and contrast what the third person omniscient point of view offers the reader that first person cannot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Maria continuously ignores her instincts throughout the novel. How does this have great importance on Maria's behavior?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)