|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria realize when she speaks with the Arab's modeling agency?
2. What does Maria see as motivation for women who prostitute themselves?
3. What happens to Maria's first love?
4. How old is Maria when she falls in love for the second time?
5. What does Maria focus on when she is working as a prostitute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's opinion about boys at the end of her adolescent years.
2. What do Maria's parents do for a living and how does it affect her home?
3. Describe Maria's first night at Copacabana.
4. Describe what Maria does to become better educated about her new profession?
5. Describe Ralf Hart.
6. Describe Maria's calculations of the time she spends with a customer.
7. Explain why Maria's mother is shocked at Maria's change in priorities.
8. Describe the proposition Maria receives from the Arab after accepting her modeling job.
9. What does Maria determine about men after the modeling agency calls again about the fashion show?
10. Describe how Maria and the man she meets on the beach overcome their language barrier.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the absence of Maria's father could have influenced her ease in assimilating to a life of prostitution?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Virgin Mary's importance in relation to Maria and her internal struggles. Who does the Virgin Mary represent for Maria?
Essay Topic 3
What does the library represent to Maria? Explain how the library symbolizes her own dreams and desires?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)