|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria remember about the girls at her first club?
2. Where does Maria go to find great adventure?
3. What does Maria say is obvious that men pay money for?
4. How long does it take Maria to get to her vacation destination?
5. What does Maria see when she explores Geneva?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Maria's mother is shocked at Maria's change in priorities.
2. What do Maria's parents do for a living and how does it affect her home?
3. What happens to Maria just before her money runs out?
4. Describe what Maria does to help her depression during her period of no work.
5. Explain how the roller coaster Maria sees is like her life.
6. Describe Maria's relationship with the Arab man.
7. Describe the categories Maria gives to her different types of customers.
8. Describe how the novel begins.
9. Describe the three roles Maria takes when she works.
10. Describe how Maria and the man she meets on the beach overcome their language barrier.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the title's significance and how Maria determines her calculations.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different moments where Maria ignores all forms of caution and then when she adheres to caution. Explain what makes her react cautiously to some situations and not to others.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Coelho uses dramatic irony when the librarian lectures Maria about her new knowledge on sex.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)