|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Geneva, what classes does Maria enroll in?
2. What is Maria's life compared to in Chapter 9?
3. Who does Maria talk to about her second love?
4. What does Maria's first love ask her?
5. How old is Maria when she falls in love for the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the girls at Copacabana advise Maria on and her reaction to it?
2. Describe the relationship of Maria and her first boss.
3. Describe where Maria goes after leaving her first job?
4. What does Maria determine about men after the modeling agency calls again about the fashion show?
5. Describe how Maria feels the night after her experience with the Arab man.
6. Describe Maria's relationship with the Arab man.
7. What happens to Maria just before her money runs out?
8. Describe what Maria does to become better educated about her new profession?
9. How does Maria react to her turn of fate after her night with the Arab man?
10. Describe why Maria gets angry when her first love speaks to her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the history of prostitution is prevalent throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Maria's mentality of what a woman's role is with that of the mentality of most women living in the twenty-first century.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Coelho uses dramatic irony when the librarian lectures Maria about her new knowledge on sex.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)