|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Maria work in the draper's shop?
2. What does Maria buy to acclimate herself in search of her new job in Geneva?
3. Where is Maria drawn to during her period of no work?
4. What is Maria's struggle in prostitution?
5. What does the man send Maria to wear to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's calculations of the time she spends with a customer.
2. Explain why Maria's mother is shocked at Maria's change in priorities.
3. Describe where Maria goes after leaving her first job?
4. What does Maria dream about whenever she returns home?
5. Describe why Maria gets angry when her first love speaks to her.
6. Describe what Maria does to help her depression during her period of no work.
7. What do Maria's parents do for a living and how does it affect her home?
8. Explain how the roller coaster Maria sees is like her life.
9. Describe what the girls at Copacabana advise Maria on and her reaction to it?
10. Describe Maria's first night at Copacabana.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Geneva with Brazil. How do they 2 locations greatly affect Maria?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Maria becomes closed off to any deep feelings. Why does this happen and how does she overcome her desperation to feel again?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Maria's life to that of the life of a roller coaster. Why is this a good metaphor for Coelho to have used in support of his comparisons?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)