|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maria mad when her first love speaks to her?
2. When does Maria begin working at the bar?
3. What is the name of the place the girls from Maria's first club mention to her?
4. Who does Maria talk to about her second love?
5. What do the girls at Maria's new job in Chapter 12 suggest for Maria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's calculations of the time she spends with a customer.
2. Describe Maria's relationship with the Arab man.
3. What is Maria's financial situation like when she arrives in Geneva?
4. What does Maria struggle with after she adapts to prostitution?
5. Explain why Maria's mother is shocked at Maria's change in priorities.
6. What is significant about what Maria remembers the girls at Roger's club telling her?
7. Describe Maria's first kiss.
8. Describe the categories Maria gives to her different types of customers.
9. Describe why Maria gets angry when her first love speaks to her.
10. Describe what Maria does to become better educated about her new profession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the history of prostitution is prevalent throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Maria continuously ignores her instincts throughout the novel. How does this have great importance on Maria's behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different moments where Maria ignores all forms of caution and then when she adheres to caution. Explain what makes her react cautiously to some situations and not to others.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)