|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria contemplate after she leaves the Arab man?
2. What does Maria do with the Arab man?
3. Who is said to be born innocent and eventually develop dreams of being rescued by a man?
4. What does Ralf say about sex to Maria?
5. What does the man send Maria to wear to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Maria and the man she meets on the beach overcome their language barrier.
2. Explain how the roller coaster Maria sees is like her life.
3. Describe how the novel begins.
4. Describe Maria's first kiss.
5. Describe why Maria leaves her hometown in Brazil.
6. Describe Maria's calculations of the time she spends with a customer.
7. What is Maria's financial situation like when she arrives in Geneva?
8. Describe what the girls at Copacabana advise Maria on and her reaction to it?
9. Describe how Maria feels the night after her experience with the Arab man.
10. What is significant about what Maria remembers the girls at Roger's club telling her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the history of prostitution is prevalent throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Virgin Mary's importance in relation to Maria and her internal struggles. Who does the Virgin Mary represent for Maria?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the absence of Maria's father could have influenced her ease in assimilating to a life of prostitution?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)