|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Maria when she falls in love for the second time?
2. What does Maria find gratifying about her job?
3. What does Maria say is obvious that men pay money for?
4. What does Maria contemplate doing after her night with the Arab?
5. Why does Maria stay at her new job in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Maria does to help her depression during her period of no work.
2. Describe Maria's first night at Copacabana.
3. Describe where Maria goes after leaving her first job?
4. Describe the proposition Maria receives from the Arab after accepting her modeling job.
5. Describe why Maria leaves her hometown in Brazil.
6. Describe Maria's relationship with the Arab man.
7. Describe the relationship of Maria and her first boss.
8. Describe Ralf Hart.
9. Explain how Maria feels about taking the job in Switzerland.
10. What do Maria's parents do for a living and how does it affect her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Maria continuously ignores her instincts throughout the novel. How does this have great importance on Maria's behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Latin culture's mentality of living differs from Maria's mentality of living. What does the culture place great importance on that Maria disregards?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the title's significance and how Maria determines her calculations.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)