|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Maria when she falls in love for the second time?
2. How many months pass before Maria adapts to prostitution's rituals?
3. How does Maria choose to react to her situation in Geneva?
4. What does Roger not allow his dancers to do?
5. How many marriages has Ralf been in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Maria and the man she meets on the beach overcome their language barrier.
2. What do Maria's parents do for a living and how does it affect her home?
3. Describe Maria's first night at Copacabana.
4. Explain how the roller coaster Maria sees is like her life.
5. How does Maria react to her turn of fate after her night with the Arab man?
6. Describe Ralf Hart.
7. What does Maria dream about whenever she returns home?
8. Describe the three roles Maria takes when she works.
9. Describe the categories Maria gives to her different types of customers.
10. Explain how Maria feels about taking the job in Switzerland.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maria's cinematic moment and how that supports her entire motivation and desire throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Maria becomes closed off to any deep feelings. Why does this happen and how does she overcome her desperation to feel again?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Maria's life to that of the life of a roller coaster. Why is this a good metaphor for Coelho to have used in support of his comparisons?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)