|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Maria receive from her employment contract?
2. How does Maria feel about her life after she leaves the Arab man?
3. Who calls Maria just before she runs out of money?
4. What does Maria accept from the man that approaches her on the beach?
5. How long does it take Ralf to paint Maria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Maria feels the night after her experience with the Arab man.
2. What happens to Maria just before her money runs out?
3. Describe Maria's relationship with the Arab man.
4. Describe where Maria goes after leaving her first job?
5. Describe what Maria does to help her depression during her period of no work.
6. Explain why Maria's mother is shocked at Maria's change in priorities.
7. Describe what the girls at Copacabana advise Maria on and her reaction to it?
8. What does Maria determine about men after the modeling agency calls again about the fashion show?
9. Describe how the novel begins.
10. What does Maria dream about whenever she returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of Maria's diary entry about the caged bird in relationship to Maria's own state of being.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Maria's cinematic moment and how that supports her entire motivation and desire throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Coelho uses dramatic irony when the librarian lectures Maria about her new knowledge on sex.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)