|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls at Maria's new job in Chapter 12 suggest for Maria?
2. What does Maria's second love want to do?
3. Who calls Maria just before she runs out of money?
4. In what career does Maria end up working to make money to return home?
5. What does Maria buy to acclimate herself in search of her new job in Geneva?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's opinion about boys at the end of her adolescent years.
2. Describe the relationship of Maria and her first boss.
3. What is Maria's financial situation like when she arrives in Geneva?
4. Describe what the girls at Copacabana advise Maria on and her reaction to it?
5. Describe Maria's first kiss.
6. What happens to Maria just before her money runs out?
7. Describe how Maria and the man she meets on the beach overcome their language barrier.
8. Describe the three roles Maria takes when she works.
9. What is significant about what Maria remembers the girls at Roger's club telling her?
10. Explain why Maria's mother is shocked at Maria's change in priorities.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Virgin Mary's importance in relation to Maria and her internal struggles. Who does the Virgin Mary represent for Maria?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Maria's cinematic moment and how that supports her entire motivation and desire throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ralf's intentions with Maria with that of Terence's intentions.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)