|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Maria receive from her employment contract?
2. What does Maria contemplate after she leaves the Arab man?
3. What does Maria realize when she speaks with the Arab's modeling agency?
4. Who does Maria talk to about her second love?
5. Where is Maria drawn to during her period of no work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Maria and the man she meets on the beach overcome their language barrier.
2. Describe how the novel begins.
3. Describe what Maria does to help her depression during her period of no work.
4. Describe why Maria gets angry when her first love speaks to her.
5. Explain why Maria's mother is shocked at Maria's change in priorities.
6. Describe where Maria goes after leaving her first job?
7. Describe Maria's opinion about boys at the end of her adolescent years.
8. Describe the three roles Maria takes when she works.
9. Describe Ralf Hart.
10. Explain how Maria feels about taking the job in Switzerland.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Geneva with Brazil. How do they 2 locations greatly affect Maria?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the absence of Maria's father could have influenced her ease in assimilating to a life of prostitution?
Essay Topic 3
What does the library represent to Maria? Explain how the library symbolizes her own dreams and desires?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)