Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maria fired?
2. What is Maria's job supposed to be when she arrives in Geneva?
3. Who does Maria speak to in the bar she enters when searching for a new job?
4. What does Maria see when she explores Geneva?
5. Where does Maria leave to go on vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's relationship with the Arab man.
2. Describe Maria's first night at Copacabana.
3. What is significant about what Maria remembers the girls at Roger's club telling her?
4. Describe the relationship of Maria and her first boss.
5. Describe what Maria has to consciously push out of her head?
6. Describe what the Violet Rod is.
7. What does the final moment of the novel mean for Maria?
8. Describe how Terence finds pleasure.
9. How does the librarian react to the books she reads?
10. What happens to Maria just before her money runs out?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of Maria's diary entry about the caged bird in relationship to Maria's own state of being.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Maria continuously ignores her instincts throughout the novel. How does this have great importance on Maria's behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Virgin Mary's importance in relation to Maria and her internal struggles. Who does the Virgin Mary represent for Maria?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)