|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bar Maria enters when she searches for her new job?
2. Why is Maria mad when her first love speaks to her?
3. How long does it take Maria to get to her vacation destination?
4. What is Maria's life compared to in Chapter 9?
5. What happens to Maria's first love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the novel begins.
2. Describe Maria's calculations of the time she spends with a customer.
3. What is significant about what Maria remembers the girls at Roger's club telling her?
4. Describe Maria's first kiss.
5. Describe what the girls at Copacabana advise Maria on and her reaction to it?
6. Describe Maria's relationship with the Arab man.
7. Describe why Maria leaves her hometown in Brazil.
8. What does Maria struggle with after she adapts to prostitution?
9. Describe the three roles Maria takes when she works.
10. Describe what Maria does to help her depression during her period of no work.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the Latin culture's mentality of living differs from Maria's mentality of living. What does the culture place great importance on that Maria disregards?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Maria becomes closed off to any deep feelings. Why does this happen and how does she overcome her desperation to feel again?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ralf's intentions with Maria with that of Terence's intentions.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)