|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, how many months does Maria note she has until her one-year deadline is over?
2. Why is Maria fired?
3. What does Maria's father do for a living?
4. Where is Maria drawn to during her period of no work?
5. How many marriages has Ralf been in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the novel begins.
2. Describe the three roles Maria takes when she works.
3. Explain how the roller coaster Maria sees is like her life.
4. Describe the proposition Maria receives from the Arab after accepting her modeling job.
5. Describe why Maria gets angry when her first love speaks to her.
6. Describe Maria's first night at Copacabana.
7. Explain how Maria feels about taking the job in Switzerland.
8. What happens to Maria just before her money runs out?
9. What do Maria's parents do for a living and how does it affect her home?
10. What does Maria struggle with after she adapts to prostitution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different moments where Maria ignores all forms of caution and then when she adheres to caution. Explain what makes her react cautiously to some situations and not to others.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Maria becomes closed off to any deep feelings. Why does this happen and how does she overcome her desperation to feel again?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Coelho wrote the novel in the third person omniscient point of view. Compare and contrast what the third person omniscient point of view offers the reader that first person cannot.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)