|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merrick say to Treves about Mrs. Kendal's nudity after she leaves the hospital?
2. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
3. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the manager of his show?
4. Which event passes in front of Merrick's window as he is visiting with the nursing attendant?
5. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", what does Merrick say is his reasoning for wanting to visit with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because the Elephant Man was such an oddity in the world, many people stood to profit from him. Choose two characters who profited from their relationship with John Merrick in the play, and then discuss how each of these characters treated the Elephant Man throughout the course of their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, Treves is represented as an angelic, almost spiritual entity. Describe two instances in which Treves could be compared to a religious leader and then explain how Merrick reacts to the religious symbolism in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the play, many characters travel extreme spiritual journeys, relying heavily on the words of wisdom that the Bishop imparts on them. Choose one character who undergoes a spiritual journey and create a time line for that transformation. Then, explain how the spiritual journey relied heavily on their relationship with the Bishop and give an example of one piece of advice the Bishop bestowed upon the character.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)