|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his argument with Merrick, what does Treves repeatedly ask him?
2. What does Ross say he admires most about Merrick?
3. What does Treves argue is the attractive element of Merrick's character?
4. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
5. During his analysis, which of the following words does Merrick use to describe Treves' condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The nature of "freak shows" and traveling circuses are explored in the opening scenes of the play. Briefly describe the settings of the freak shows and the way the managers treat their "freak" employees. How does the microcosm of freak shows act as a symbol for the way the entire world views "freaks"?
Essay Topic 2
Merrick's beliefs about God and art seem to coincide with one another as he views everything as imitations. Briefly describe Merrick's opinions about God, and then briefly describe Merrick's opinions about art, particularly his own. Then, explain how Merrick's beliefs of God and art are intrinsically connected to his opinions about imitation.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams play an important role in creating themes throughout the novel. Choose two dreams that appeared in the play and describe what happened in each of them. Then, explain what each dream meant to the character who had them, and how the dream worked to create a theme in the play as a whole.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)