|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Merrick doing with the Bishop while Treves and Gomm are having a private discussion?
2. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
3. What are the final words of the play?
4. Which of the following elements does Merrick note in Treves' character while he is examining him?
5. In the dream, who does Merrick claim will be the "perfect subject" for his study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
Essay Topic 2
Money is an element in the play that has negative connotations, as a corrupter and something that is commonly mishandled. Describe one character who has been corrupted by the drive for money, and one character who mishandles the money they have to grievous consequences. Then, compare / contrast which financial sin has a darker force in John Merrick's life.
Essay Topic 3
Merrick's beliefs about God and art seem to coincide with one another as he views everything as imitations. Briefly describe Merrick's opinions about God, and then briefly describe Merrick's opinions about art, particularly his own. Then, explain how Merrick's beliefs of God and art are intrinsically connected to his opinions about imitation.
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)