|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merrick attempt to speak with about his readings in the bible?
2. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
3. What is Merrick doing with the Bishop while Treves and Gomm are having a private discussion?
4. About what does Ross taunt Merrick when he knows he has lost the debate with him?
5. In what newspaper is the letter written after Merrick's death is published?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is an element in the play that has negative connotations, as a corrupter and something that is commonly mishandled. Describe one character who has been corrupted by the drive for money, and one character who mishandles the money they have to grievous consequences. Then, compare / contrast which financial sin has a darker force in John Merrick's life.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, Treves is represented as an angelic, almost spiritual entity. Describe two instances in which Treves could be compared to a religious leader and then explain how Merrick reacts to the religious symbolism in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams play an important role in creating themes throughout the novel. Choose two dreams that appeared in the play and describe what happened in each of them. Then, explain what each dream meant to the character who had them, and how the dream worked to create a theme in the play as a whole.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)