|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merrick attempt to speak with about his readings in the bible?
2. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
3. What does Merrick say to Treves about Mrs. Kendal's nudity after she leaves the hospital?
4. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
5. Which part of Merrick's name is printed incorrectly in the letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, many characters realize the errors of their ways and attempt to repent for their sins. Choose two characters that have "seen the light" of their sins and describe their reactions to this enlightenment. Then, explain how the process of repenting changed, or did not change, the characters involved.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
Essay Topic 3
The Elephant Man is described in the first few scenes of the play as having extreme deformities, which Treves describes at great detail for his audience. Briefly describe the deformities that the Elephant Man suffers from and why he received the nickname that he did.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)