Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
2. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
3. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
4. During his analysis, which of the following words does Merrick use to describe Treves' condition?
5. When Merrick was a child, from where did Ross rescue him?
Essay Topic 1
Money is an element in the play that has negative connotations, as a corrupter and something that is commonly mishandled. Describe one character who has been corrupted by the drive for money, and one character who mishandles the money they have to grievous consequences. Then, compare / contrast which financial sin has a darker force in John Merrick's life.
Essay Topic 2
When Merrick was first introduced to the audience while he was working at the freak show, his speech was almost unintelligible. Throughout the course of the novel, however, that changed. Create a time line for Merrick's speech and explain how the growth of Merrick's speech affected the way the characters in the play, and the audience, related to him as a man, and how Merrick's speech mirrors his lifelong struggle to be understood.
Essay Topic 3
Merrick's death has particular significance in that the pinheads were involved in it. Explain how the pinheads urged Merrick to his death and what the symbolic importance of the pinheads' involvement in the death is.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)