|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
2. How does Mrs. Kendal respond when Merrick asks if she will remain his friend even after his money has been stolen?
3. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", what does Merrick say is his reasoning for wanting to visit with him?
4. To whom does Lord John return, begging for more money?
5. How does Treves feel about his profession making people well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The medical community in London has varying views on John Merrick and his condition. Choose two characters who provide opposite beliefs about John Merrick's condition and describe each side of their argument. How does the medical debate over John Merrick's condition culminate in the climax of the play?
Essay Topic 2
The nature of "freak shows" and traveling circuses are explored in the opening scenes of the play. Briefly describe the settings of the freak shows and the way the managers treat their "freak" employees. How does the microcosm of freak shows act as a symbol for the way the entire world views "freaks"?
Essay Topic 3
Money is an element in the play that has negative connotations, as a corrupter and something that is commonly mishandled. Describe one character who has been corrupted by the drive for money, and one character who mishandles the money they have to grievous consequences. Then, compare / contrast which financial sin has a darker force in John Merrick's life.
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)