|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word finished Treves' statement about the human condition, " To become more ________ is to die"?
2. How does Treves feel about his profession making people well?
3. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick?
4. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
5. In the dream, what does Gomm say about "good men"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toward the end of his life, Merrick becomes almost obsessed with reading the bible and some of the passages in it. Describe Merrick's relationship with the bible and explain why he rereads the same passages over and over. Finally, explain what two of the passages from the bible that Merrick reads mean to him during his life, while he is alive.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
Essay Topic 3
Money is an element in the play that has negative connotations, as a corrupter and something that is commonly mishandled. Describe one character who has been corrupted by the drive for money, and one character who mishandles the money they have to grievous consequences. Then, compare / contrast which financial sin has a darker force in John Merrick's life.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)