Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
2. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
3. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
4. During his analysis, which of the following words does Merrick use to describe Treves' condition?
5. When Merrick was a child, from where did Ross rescue him?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the text, Treves is represented as an angelic, almost spiritual entity. Describe two instances in which Treves could be compared to a religious leader and then explain how Merrick reacts to the religious symbolism in his life.
Essay Topic 2
Money is an element in the play that has negative connotations, as a corrupter and something that is commonly mishandled. Describe one character who has been corrupted by the drive for money, and one character who mishandles the money they have to grievous consequences. Then, compare / contrast which financial sin has a darker force in John Merrick's life.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)