|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gomm call Lord John after witnessing him beg for money?
2. What is Treves reading when Merrick comes to speak with him about death?
3. How does the Bishop respond to Treves' meltdown as he begins weeping at the Bishop's feet?
4. To which part of the hospital will the rest of Merrick's funds be absorbed?
5. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to reach in his relationships with other people?
Essay Topic 1
There is much argument at the end of the novel as to whether or not Merrick wanted, and chose, to die. Explain the arguments for both sides of the debate, citing evidence presented in the text, and then explain which argument you side with and why.
Essay Topic 2
The church that Merrick is designing has huge symbolic significance in his life. Explain what the church represents both physically and spiritually to Merrick. Then, explain how the construction of the church mirrors the growth Merrick experiences throughout the course of the play.
Essay Topic 3
The medical community in London has varying views on John Merrick and his condition. Choose two characters who provide opposite beliefs about John Merrick's condition and describe each side of their argument. How does the medical debate over John Merrick's condition culminate in the climax of the play?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)