|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Merrick doing with the Bishop while Treves and Gomm are having a private discussion?
2. To whom does Lord John return, begging for more money?
3. When Treves' wakes up from his dream, during which time Merrick was analyzing him, what does Merrick do to busy himself?
4. What maddens Merrick about some married men?
5. In the dream, what does Gomm call Treves in response to Merrick's payment offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The nature of "freak shows" and traveling circuses are explored in the opening scenes of the play. Briefly describe the settings of the freak shows and the way the managers treat their "freak" employees. How does the microcosm of freak shows act as a symbol for the way the entire world views "freaks"?
Essay Topic 2
Dreams play an important role in creating themes throughout the novel. Choose two dreams that appeared in the play and describe what happened in each of them. Then, explain what each dream meant to the character who had them, and how the dream worked to create a theme in the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Kendal proves to be one of the most important characters in Merrick's life. Describe the character of Mrs. Kendal and explain what lessons she taught Merrick about life and love. Finally, explain how Merrick responded to the lesson Mrs. Kendal was so keen to teach.
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)