|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Treves feel about Merrick after his death?
2. To which part of the hospital will the rest of Merrick's funds be absorbed?
3. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to reach in his relationships with other people?
4. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
5. What do the pinheads encourage Merrick to do, resulting in his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Kendal proves to be one of the most important characters in Merrick's life. Describe the character of Mrs. Kendal and explain what lessons she taught Merrick about life and love. Finally, explain how Merrick responded to the lesson Mrs. Kendal was so keen to teach.
Essay Topic 2
The Elephant Man is described in the first few scenes of the play as having extreme deformities, which Treves describes at great detail for his audience. Briefly describe the deformities that the Elephant Man suffers from and why he received the nickname that he did.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel, many characters realize the errors of their ways and attempt to repent for their sins. Choose two characters that have "seen the light" of their sins and describe their reactions to this enlightenment. Then, explain how the process of repenting changed, or did not change, the characters involved.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)