|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the final words of the play?
2. What do the pinheads encourage Merrick to do, resulting in his death?
3. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
4. What is Merrick doing with the Bishop while Treves and Gomm are having a private discussion?
5. What does Gomm call Lord John after witnessing him beg for money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merrick's beliefs about God and art seem to coincide with one another as he views everything as imitations. Briefly describe Merrick's opinions about God, and then briefly describe Merrick's opinions about art, particularly his own. Then, explain how Merrick's beliefs of God and art are intrinsically connected to his opinions about imitation.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Kendal proves to be one of the most important characters in Merrick's life. Describe the character of Mrs. Kendal and explain what lessons she taught Merrick about life and love. Finally, explain how Merrick responded to the lesson Mrs. Kendal was so keen to teach.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)