|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Merrick was a child, from where did Ross rescue him?
2. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
3. Which meal does the attendant bring to Merrick directly after he finishes his model church?
4. What does Merrick say to Treves about Mrs. Kendal's nudity after she leaves the hospital?
5. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toward the end of his life, Merrick becomes almost obsessed with reading the bible and some of the passages in it. Describe Merrick's relationship with the bible and explain why he rereads the same passages over and over. Finally, explain what two of the passages from the bible that Merrick reads mean to him during his life, while he is alive.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams play an important role in creating themes throughout the novel. Choose two dreams that appeared in the play and describe what happened in each of them. Then, explain what each dream meant to the character who had them, and how the dream worked to create a theme in the play as a whole.
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)