|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merrick say to Treves about Mrs. Kendal's nudity after she leaves the hospital?
2. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
3. To which of the following objects does Treves compare Merrick when speaking to the Bishop?
4. To whom does Lord John return, begging for more money?
5. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merrick's death has particular significance in that the pinheads were involved in it. Explain how the pinheads urged Merrick to his death and what the symbolic importance of the pinheads' involvement in the death is.
Essay Topic 2
The Elephant Man is described in the first few scenes of the play as having extreme deformities, which Treves describes at great detail for his audience. Briefly describe the deformities that the Elephant Man suffers from and why he received the nickname that he did.
Essay Topic 3
Money is an element in the play that has negative connotations, as a corrupter and something that is commonly mishandled. Describe one character who has been corrupted by the drive for money, and one character who mishandles the money they have to grievous consequences. Then, compare / contrast which financial sin has a darker force in John Merrick's life.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)