|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ross visits Merrick in the hospital, what does he ask him for?
2. What did Treves' patient, who had a near death experience, tell her "heaven" was like?
3. Which character arrives, saying there is news about Lord John in the newspapers?
4. Which word finished Treves' statement about the human condition, " To become more ________ is to die"?
5. When Treves brushes past Mrs. Kendal in the hospital, which of the following finishes his sentence, "This is a hospital, not a ___________"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Elephant Man is described in the first few scenes of the play as having extreme deformities, which Treves describes at great detail for his audience. Briefly describe the deformities that the Elephant Man suffers from and why he received the nickname that he did.
Essay Topic 2
The medical community in London has varying views on John Merrick and his condition. Choose two characters who provide opposite beliefs about John Merrick's condition and describe each side of their argument. How does the medical debate over John Merrick's condition culminate in the climax of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the play, many characters travel extreme spiritual journeys, relying heavily on the words of wisdom that the Bishop imparts on them. Choose one character who undergoes a spiritual journey and create a time line for that transformation. Then, explain how the spiritual journey relied heavily on their relationship with the Bishop and give an example of one piece of advice the Bishop bestowed upon the character.
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)