|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which part of the hospital will the rest of Merrick's funds be absorbed?
2. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
3. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
4. As Treves is weeping at the Bishop's feet, what announcement does Merrick make?
5. How do the pinheads describe the world that has been revealed to them since leaving the freak show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the play, many characters travel extreme spiritual journeys, relying heavily on the words of wisdom that the Bishop imparts on them. Choose one character who undergoes a spiritual journey and create a time line for that transformation. Then, explain how the spiritual journey relied heavily on their relationship with the Bishop and give an example of one piece of advice the Bishop bestowed upon the character.
Essay Topic 2
The medical community in London has varying views on John Merrick and his condition. Choose two characters who provide opposite beliefs about John Merrick's condition and describe each side of their argument. How does the medical debate over John Merrick's condition culminate in the climax of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)