|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his analysis, what part of Treves' body does Merrick pay special attention to?
2. Which meal does the attendant bring to Merrick directly after he finishes his model church?
3. How does Treves react when he sees Mrs. Kendal nude in Merrick's room?
4. What does Merrick read in the bible that makes him excited to die?
5. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1There is much argument at the end of the novel as to whether or not Merrick wanted, and chose, to die. Explain the arguments for both sides of the debate, citing evidence presented in the text, and then explain which argument you side with and why.
Essay Topic 2Throughout the novel, John Merrick endures the abuses of many outside forces. Choose two abusers who deeply impacted John Merrick's life, describe their abuses, and then describe Merrick's reaction to the abuse. How does Merrick's reaction to the abuse give the reader deeper insight into his character?
Essay Topic 3Money is an element in the play that has negative connotations, as a corrupter and something that is commonly mishandled. Describe one character who has been corrupted by the drive for money, and one character who mishandles the money they have to grievous consequences. Then, compare / contrast which financial sin has a darker force in John Merrick's life.
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)