|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Ross' visit, what does Merrick compare himself to?
2. What emotion does Merrick attribute to Treves' left hand and the way it covers his body?
3. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
4. When Ross visits Merrick in the hospital, what does he ask him for?
5. In the letter, what does Gomm thank the newspaper for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the scenes within the play has its own title. Choose two scenes with particularly memorable titles and explain what themes were presented in that scene. As a reader, how do the scene titles function within the text of the play as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
When Treves first meets the Elephant Man he is completely unappreciated in his profession. Describe the conditions the Elephant Man was living in at the time he first met Treves, and why he was so willing to let Treves take him away for a physical inspection.
Essay Topic 3
The medical community in London has varying views on John Merrick and his condition. Choose two characters who provide opposite beliefs about John Merrick's condition and describe each side of their argument. How does the medical debate over John Merrick's condition culminate in the climax of the play?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)