|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
2. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
3. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
4. During his analysis, which of the following words does Merrick use to describe Treves' condition?
5. When Merrick was a child, from where did Ross rescue him?
Essay Topic 1
Each of the scenes within the play has its own title. Choose two scenes with particularly memorable titles and explain what themes were presented in that scene. As a reader, how do the scene titles function within the text of the play as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
The church that Merrick is designing has huge symbolic significance in his life. Explain what the church represents both physically and spiritually to Merrick. Then, explain how the construction of the church mirrors the growth Merrick experiences throughout the course of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Merrick's beliefs about God and art seem to coincide with one another as he views everything as imitations. Briefly describe Merrick's opinions about God, and then briefly describe Merrick's opinions about art, particularly his own. Then, explain how Merrick's beliefs of God and art are intrinsically connected to his opinions about imitation.
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)