|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which event passes in front of Merrick's window as he is visiting with the nursing attendant?
2. What does Merrick read in the bible that makes him excited to die?
3. What is Merrick most worried about now that he knows Lord John has stolen his money?
4. How does the Bishop respond to Treves' meltdown as he begins weeping at the Bishop's feet?
5. During Ross' visit, what does Merrick compare himself to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merrick's beliefs about God and art seem to coincide with one another as he views everything as imitations. Briefly describe Merrick's opinions about God, and then briefly describe Merrick's opinions about art, particularly his own. Then, explain how Merrick's beliefs of God and art are intrinsically connected to his opinions about imitation.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the play, many characters travel extreme spiritual journeys, relying heavily on the words of wisdom that the Bishop imparts on them. Choose one character who undergoes a spiritual journey and create a time line for that transformation. Then, explain how the spiritual journey relied heavily on their relationship with the Bishop and give an example of one piece of advice the Bishop bestowed upon the character.
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of his life, Merrick becomes almost obsessed with reading the bible and some of the passages in it. Describe Merrick's relationship with the bible and explain why he rereads the same passages over and over. Finally, explain what two of the passages from the bible that Merrick reads mean to him during his life, while he is alive.
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)