|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character intercedes with Lord John, telling him to stop begging for money?
2. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
3. In the dream, who does Gomm call a "good man"?
4. What are the pinheads doing when they arrive to Merrick's bedside before he dies?
5. When Merrick was a child, from where did Ross rescue him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because the Elephant Man was such an oddity in the world, many people stood to profit from him. Choose two characters who profited from their relationship with John Merrick in the play, and then discuss how each of these characters treated the Elephant Man throughout the course of their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, Treves is represented as an angelic, almost spiritual entity. Describe two instances in which Treves could be compared to a religious leader and then explain how Merrick reacts to the religious symbolism in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel, many characters realize the errors of their ways and attempt to repent for their sins. Choose two characters that have "seen the light" of their sins and describe their reactions to this enlightenment. Then, explain how the process of repenting changed, or did not change, the characters involved.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)