|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what newspaper is the letter written after Merrick's death is published?
2. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
3. What emotion does Merrick attribute to Treves' left hand and the way it covers his body?
4. In the dream, what does Gomm call Treves in response to Merrick's payment offer?
5. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", what does Merrick say is his reasoning for wanting to visit with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The nature of "freak shows" and traveling circuses are explored in the opening scenes of the play. Briefly describe the settings of the freak shows and the way the managers treat their "freak" employees. How does the microcosm of freak shows act as a symbol for the way the entire world views "freaks"?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Kendal proves to be one of the most important characters in Merrick's life. Describe the character of Mrs. Kendal and explain what lessons she taught Merrick about life and love. Finally, explain how Merrick responded to the lesson Mrs. Kendal was so keen to teach.
Essay Topic 3
When Merrick was first introduced to the audience while he was working at the freak show, his speech was almost unintelligible. Throughout the course of the novel, however, that changed. Create a time line for Merrick's speech and explain how the growth of Merrick's speech affected the way the characters in the play, and the audience, related to him as a man, and how Merrick's speech mirrors his lifelong struggle to be understood.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)