|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Gomm give to Treves after Lord John is removed from the hospital?
2. What is Merrick doing with the Bishop while Treves and Gomm are having a private discussion?
3. What emotion does Merrick attribute to Treves' left hand and the way it covers his body?
4. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the manager of his show?
5. How many naked women has Merrick seen in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
Essay Topic 2
Money is an element in the play that has negative connotations, as a corrupter and something that is commonly mishandled. Describe one character who has been corrupted by the drive for money, and one character who mishandles the money they have to grievous consequences. Then, compare / contrast which financial sin has a darker force in John Merrick's life.
Essay Topic 3
The medical community in London has varying views on John Merrick and his condition. Choose two characters who provide opposite beliefs about John Merrick's condition and describe each side of their argument. How does the medical debate over John Merrick's condition culminate in the climax of the play?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)