|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Treves' patient, who had a near death experience, tell her "heaven" was like?
2. During his argument with Merrick, what does Treves repeatedly ask him?
3. How does Treves feel about Merrick after his death?
4. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
5. What does Gomm call Lord John after witnessing him beg for money?
Essay Topic 1
Because the Elephant Man was such an oddity in the world, many people stood to profit from him. Choose two characters who profited from their relationship with John Merrick in the play, and then discuss how each of these characters treated the Elephant Man throughout the course of their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
When Treves first meets the Elephant Man he is completely unappreciated in his profession. Describe the conditions the Elephant Man was living in at the time he first met Treves, and why he was so willing to let Treves take him away for a physical inspection.
Essay Topic 3
The church that Merrick is designing has huge symbolic significance in his life. Explain what the church represents both physically and spiritually to Merrick. Then, explain how the construction of the church mirrors the growth Merrick experiences throughout the course of the play.
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)