|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the manager of his show?
2. Which of the following elements does Merrick note in Treves' character while he is examining him?
3. Who does Merrick attempt to speak with about his readings in the bible?
4. During his analysis, what part of Treves' body does Merrick pay special attention to?
5. How does Treves argue that people feel when they see themselves reflected in Merrick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of his life, Merrick becomes almost obsessed with reading the bible and some of the passages in it. Describe Merrick's relationship with the bible and explain why he rereads the same passages over and over. Finally, explain what two of the passages from the bible that Merrick reads mean to him during his life, while he is alive.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, John Merrick endures the abuses of many outside forces. Choose two abusers who deeply impacted John Merrick's life, describe their abuses, and then describe Merrick's reaction to the abuse. How does Merrick's reaction to the abuse give the reader deeper insight into his character?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)