Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which meal is Merrick being served the first time the nurse comes to meet him?
2. After exiting the train, who hands Merrick over to the police officers?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Merrick's compliments to Mrs. Kendal?
4. What does Treves tell Merrick is the one thing that will make him happy during his stay in the hospital?
5. How many policemen arrive in the streets and begin beating Ross and Merrick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Sandwich?
2. What insight does Merrick have about the play "Romeo and Juliet"?
3. Why does Treves think that Mrs. Kendall would be a nice addition to the team caring for Merrick?
4. Who are the pinheads?
5. What does Treves tell Merrick about anesthetic and his patient who nearly didn't come out of it?
6. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick, and what is Treves' response to the Bishop's claim?
7. What happens when Treves is finally enlightened and thinks of something worthwhile that he would like to print in the letter to the editor?
8. How does Merrick respond to Ross' unexpected visit?
9. What event is happening outside of Merrick's window when a talkative nursing attendant brings Merrick his lunch upon the completion of Merrick's model church?
10. How does Treves assure that Merrick can stay in the hospital as long as he desires?
Essay Topic 1
The nature of "freak shows" and traveling circuses are explored in the opening scenes of the play. Briefly describe the settings of the freak shows and the way the managers treat their "freak" employees. How does the microcosm of freak shows act as a symbol for the way the entire world views "freaks"?
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of his life, Merrick becomes almost obsessed with reading the bible and some of the passages in it. Describe Merrick's relationship with the bible and explain why he rereads the same passages over and over. Finally, explain what two of the passages from the bible that Merrick reads mean to him during his life, while he is alive.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Kendal proves to be one of the most important characters in Merrick's life. Describe the character of Mrs. Kendal and explain what lessons she taught Merrick about life and love. Finally, explain how Merrick responded to the lesson Mrs. Kendal was so keen to teach.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)