|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
2. What does Ross do with all of Merrick's savings?
3. Where does Treves first meet the Elephant Man?
4. Where was Merrick abandoned as a child?
5. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the dream, what does Gomm say about Treves that echoes back to his statements about Treves in the opening of the play?
2. What sales pitch does Ross use to entice passersby into the Elephant Man's tent?
3. How does Gomm react to the news that Lord John has stolen from Merrick?
4. Why does Ross think it is unfair for Merrick to continue living with Treves?
5. How does Merrick sleep at night, and why?
6. How does Treves assure that Merrick can stay in the hospital as long as he desires?
7. In what ways does role reversal come into play when Treves has a dream about the freak show?
8. During the dream, what statemtents does Gomm make about "good men" and what should happen to them?
9. How does Gomm greet the new hire, Treves?
10. What argument about faith do the BIshop and Gomm get into over Merrick's medical treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
Essay Topic 2
Merrick's death has particular significance in that the pinheads were involved in it. Explain how the pinheads urged Merrick to his death and what the symbolic importance of the pinheads' involvement in the death is.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, John Merrick endures the abuses of many outside forces. Choose two abusers who deeply impacted John Merrick's life, describe their abuses, and then describe Merrick's reaction to the abuse. How does Merrick's reaction to the abuse give the reader deeper insight into his character?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)