|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Merrick's compliments to Mrs. Kendal?
2. What art form is Merrick working on when Mrs. Kennedy arrives at his home for the first time?
3. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe how she imagines Merrick?
4. How many policemen arrive in the streets and begin beating Ross and Merrick?
5. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Treves' first lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities interrupted?
2. How does Merrick react to the pinheads when he first meets them?
3. How does Gomm greet the new hire, Treves?
4. Why does Merrick attempt to speak with Treves about the bible?
5. Why does Lord John come begging for money from Treves?
6. How much money does Merrick save while working for Ross, and what happens to that savings?
7. During their argument about Heaven, what reasons does Treves give Merrick for sending Mrs. Kendal away?
8. Why does Ross think it is unfair for Merrick to continue living with Treves?
9. What happens when Treves is finally enlightened and thinks of something worthwhile that he would like to print in the letter to the editor?
10. What sales pitch does Ross use to entice passersby into the Elephant Man's tent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The nature of "freak shows" and traveling circuses are explored in the opening scenes of the play. Briefly describe the settings of the freak shows and the way the managers treat their "freak" employees. How does the microcosm of freak shows act as a symbol for the way the entire world views "freaks"?
Essay Topic 2
Money is an element in the play that has negative connotations, as a corrupter and something that is commonly mishandled. Describe one character who has been corrupted by the drive for money, and one character who mishandles the money they have to grievous consequences. Then, compare / contrast which financial sin has a darker force in John Merrick's life.
Essay Topic 3
Merrick's death has particular significance in that the pinheads were involved in it. Explain how the pinheads urged Merrick to his death and what the symbolic importance of the pinheads' involvement in the death is.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)