|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe how she imagines Merrick?
2. What does Treves say the public believes about Merrick's medical condition?
3. At which theatrical theater does the Prince of Wales own his own boxed seat?
4. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
5. Who does Merrick consider his best friend, and the one visitor whose time he most appreciates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merrick despise about married men?
2. Why does Ross come to visit Merrick in the hospital?
3. What is the reaction to Mrs. Kendal's nudity in Merrick's room?
4. How is Treves' first lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities interrupted?
5. What sales pitch does Ross use to entice passersby into the Elephant Man's tent?
6. During his analysis of Treves' body, what notes does Merrick make about Treves' left hand?
7. How does Treves assure that Merrick can stay in the hospital as long as he desires?
8. Why does Treves find himself having an emotional meltdown at the BIshop's feet after discussing Merrick's impending death?
9. Why does Ross think it is unfair for Merrick to continue living with Treves?
10. In his discussion about Merrick's death, what argument does Treves make about the human condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the play, many characters travel extreme spiritual journeys, relying heavily on the words of wisdom that the Bishop imparts on them. Choose one character who undergoes a spiritual journey and create a time line for that transformation. Then, explain how the spiritual journey relied heavily on their relationship with the Bishop and give an example of one piece of advice the Bishop bestowed upon the character.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, Treves is represented as an angelic, almost spiritual entity. Describe two instances in which Treves could be compared to a religious leader and then explain how Merrick reacts to the religious symbolism in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Because the Elephant Man was such an oddity in the world, many people stood to profit from him. Choose two characters who profited from their relationship with John Merrick in the play, and then discuss how each of these characters treated the Elephant Man throughout the course of their relationship.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)