|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merrick hope to do with his life if he ever gains normal mobility?
2. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
3. What does the caller state is the only thing more painful to The Elephant Man than his physical deformities?
4. Why does everyone find Merrick's artwork so amazing?
5. How much does Treves' supervisor think Treves can make as a fee per patient he sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the pinheads?
2. How does Merrick react to the pinheads when he first meets them?
3. During the dream, what does Gomm say about Treves that echoes back to his statements about Treves in the opening of the play?
4. Why does Ross come to visit Merrick in the hospital?
5. Why does Lord John come begging for money from Treves?
6. During their argument about Heaven, what reasons does Treves give Merrick for sending Mrs. Kendal away?
7. How does Gomm greet the new hire, Treves?
8. How are the pinheads involved in Merrick's death?
9. During Ross and Merrick's argument about returning to work together, how do the two men taunt each other?
10. What information about his mother does Merrick give to Mrs. Kendal upon their first meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much argument at the end of the novel as to whether or not Merrick wanted, and chose, to die. Explain the arguments for both sides of the debate, citing evidence presented in the text, and then explain which argument you side with and why.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the play seem to feel a moral obligation to care for Merrick. This moral obligation could arise from religious views or other personality traits. Choose two characters who feel drawn to care for Merrick and explain the reasons behind their moral obligations. How does this obligation affect each of the character's relationships with the man they first set out to help?
Essay Topic 3
When Treves first meets the Elephant Man he is completely unappreciated in his profession. Describe the conditions the Elephant Man was living in at the time he first met Treves, and why he was so willing to let Treves take him away for a physical inspection.
This section contains 1,810 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)