|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what ward of the hospital does Merrick request to be moved to during his stay?
2. What part of Merrick's body is Mrs.Kendal most interested in?
3. With whom does Treves think it is important for Merrick to form relationships?
4. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
5. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his discussion about Merrick's death, what argument does Treves make about the human condition?
2. Why does Lord John come begging for money from Treves?
3. How is Merrick treated by the police officers on his travels back to London?
4. How does Treves respond to Ross' call for the Elephant Man?
5. Who is Mrs. Sandwich?
6. How does Treves describe the Elephant Man to his audience during his first lecture?
7. How does Merrick spend the few moments directly before he dies?
8. In his letter to the editor, what does Gomm say will happen to Merrick's finances?
9. After Merrick has returned to his room, what does Treves divulge to the audience about his emotions in sending Mrs. Kendal away?
10. In the letter to the editor, what does Treves add about Merrick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Treves first meets the Elephant Man he is completely unappreciated in his profession. Describe the conditions the Elephant Man was living in at the time he first met Treves, and why he was so willing to let Treves take him away for a physical inspection.
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of his life, Merrick becomes almost obsessed with reading the bible and some of the passages in it. Describe Merrick's relationship with the bible and explain why he rereads the same passages over and over. Finally, explain what two of the passages from the bible that Merrick reads mean to him during his life, while he is alive.
Essay Topic 3
Because the Elephant Man was such an oddity in the world, many people stood to profit from him. Choose two characters who profited from their relationship with John Merrick in the play, and then discuss how each of these characters treated the Elephant Man throughout the course of their relationship.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)