|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
2. Which meal is Merrick being served the first time the nurse comes to meet him?
3. Which word does Mrs. Kendal use to describe her life on display?
4. When Treves arrives at the police station to pick up Merrick, what does Merrick beg Treves to do?
5. Why does Merrick claim to have left London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gomm greet the new hire, Treves?
2. As Merrick is meeting with the Bishop, what discussion of Merrick's impending death do Gomm and Treves have?
3. How does Mrs. Kendal respond to Treves' proposal that she befriend Merrick?
4. During the one-on-one scene that each high society member has with the audience, what does the Princess of Wales think is the similarity between her husband and Treves?
5. What information about his mother does Merrick give to Mrs. Kendal upon their first meeting?
6. Why does Ross come to visit Merrick in the hospital?
7. After Merrick has returned to his room, what does Treves divulge to the audience about his emotions in sending Mrs. Kendal away?
8. How does Merrick respond to Ross' unexpected visit?
9. How does Merrick feel about the attention he is receiving for his artistic abilities?
10. How does Merrick spend the few moments directly before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The church that Merrick is designing has huge symbolic significance in his life. Explain what the church represents both physically and spiritually to Merrick. Then, explain how the construction of the church mirrors the growth Merrick experiences throughout the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
When Treves first meets the Elephant Man he is completely unappreciated in his profession. Describe the conditions the Elephant Man was living in at the time he first met Treves, and why he was so willing to let Treves take him away for a physical inspection.
Essay Topic 3
The medical community in London has varying views on John Merrick and his condition. Choose two characters who provide opposite beliefs about John Merrick's condition and describe each side of their argument. How does the medical debate over John Merrick's condition culminate in the climax of the play?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)