|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Merrick doing during the time that Treves is interviewing the nurse?
2. What does Treves' supervisor state that Treves needs to increase in order to keep everyone happy?
3. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
4. Which character does Gomm jokingly refer to as Jesus?
5. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Treves is finally enlightened and thinks of something worthwhile that he would like to print in the letter to the editor?
2. How does Merrick react to the news that he will be allowed an indefinite stay at the hospital?
3. Which high society members come to visit with Merrick during the height of his popularity, what types of gifts do they leave for him?
4. During his analysis of Treves' body, what realization does Merrick make about Treves' head?
5. During the dream, what does Gomm say about Treves that echoes back to his statements about Treves in the opening of the play?
6. What is the reaction to Mrs. Kendal's nudity in Merrick's room?
7. In the letter to the editor, what does Treves add about Merrick?
8. How is Treves' first lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities interrupted?
9. How does Treves describe the Elephant Man to his audience during his first lecture?
10. During Ross and Merrick's argument about returning to work together, how do the two men taunt each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the play, many characters travel extreme spiritual journeys, relying heavily on the words of wisdom that the Bishop imparts on them. Choose one character who undergoes a spiritual journey and create a time line for that transformation. Then, explain how the spiritual journey relied heavily on their relationship with the Bishop and give an example of one piece of advice the Bishop bestowed upon the character.
Essay Topic 2
The medical community in London has varying views on John Merrick and his condition. Choose two characters who provide opposite beliefs about John Merrick's condition and describe each side of their argument. How does the medical debate over John Merrick's condition culminate in the climax of the play?
Essay Topic 3
When Treves first meets the Elephant Man he is completely unappreciated in his profession. Describe the conditions the Elephant Man was living in at the time he first met Treves, and why he was so willing to let Treves take him away for a physical inspection.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)