|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
2. Where does Merrick stay while the Bishop is speaking with Treves?
3. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
4. Which of the following words does Mrs. Kendal use to describe Merrick's insights into life and love?
5. When Treves arrives at the police station to pick up Merrick, what does Merrick beg Treves to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gomm greet the new hire, Treves?
2. What sales pitch does Ross use to entice passersby into the Elephant Man's tent?
3. As Merrick is meeting with the Bishop, what discussion of Merrick's impending death do Gomm and Treves have?
4. Why is the porter fired from working at the hospital?
5. During his analysis of Treves' body, what notes does Merrick make about Treves' left hand?
6. How does Merrick react to the pinheads when he first meets them?
7. How is Treves' first lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities interrupted?
8. How is Merrick treated by the police officers on his travels back to London?
9. What does Merrick despise about married men?
10. Who is Mrs. Kendal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, John Merrick endures the abuses of many outside forces. Choose two abusers who deeply impacted John Merrick's life, describe their abuses, and then describe Merrick's reaction to the abuse. How does Merrick's reaction to the abuse give the reader deeper insight into his character?
Essay Topic 2
The Elephant Man is described in the first few scenes of the play as having extreme deformities, which Treves describes at great detail for his audience. Briefly describe the deformities that the Elephant Man suffers from and why he received the nickname that he did.
Essay Topic 3
Because the Elephant Man was such an oddity in the world, many people stood to profit from him. Choose two characters who profited from their relationship with John Merrick in the play, and then discuss how each of these characters treated the Elephant Man throughout the course of their relationship.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)