|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After exiting the train, who hands Merrick over to the police officers?
(a) The train's conductor.
(c) The train passengers.
(d) Merrick turns himself in.
2. Which of the following characters believes that all humans are simply copies God has created?
(d) Mrs. Kendal.
3. Which of the Elephant Man's features is described as being "perfectly formed"?
(a) All ten of his toes.
(b) His left arm.
(c) His right leg.
(d) All ten of his fingers.
4. Which meal is Merrick being served the first time the nurse comes to meet him?
5. Who keeps track of all the gifts Merrick receives from his admirers?
(d) Mrs. Kendal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following philosophers said that the world "is an illusion and the work of an artist is simply an illusion of an illusion"?
2. Who does Merrick consider his best friend, and the one visitor whose time he most appreciates?
3. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
4. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
5. Which of the following does Treves NOT accuse the caller of using to alter The Elephant Man's appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Merrick is meeting with the Bishop, what discussion of Merrick's impending death do Gomm and Treves have?
2. Why has Treves moved to London?
3. During the one-on-one scene that each high society member has with the audience, what does the Princess of Wales think is the similarity between her husband and Treves?
4. In his letter to the editor, what does Gomm say will happen to Merrick's finances?
5. In the letter to the editor, what does Treves add about Merrick?
6. During his analysis of Treves' body, what realization does Merrick make about Treves' head?
7. How does Merrick react to the pinheads when he first meets them?
8. How does Mrs. Kendal respond to Treves' proposal that she befriend Merrick?
9. What is the outcome of Mrs. Kendal and Merrick's first meeting?
10. What information about his mother does Merrick give to Mrs. Kendal upon their first meeting?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)