|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After riding on the train, what other mode of transportation does Merrick take back to London?
(a) An airplane.
(b) A taxi.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A boat.
2. Which character does Gomm jokingly refer to as Jesus?
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The Nurse.
3. How does Merrick describe his mother to Mrs. Kendal?
(a) As intelligent.
(b) As beautiful.
(c) As afraid.
(d) As angry.
4. What does The Princess of Wales call Merrick?
(a) The Elephant Guy.
(b) The Elephant Man.
(c) That Elephant Thing.
(d) That Elephant Bloke.
5. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
(a) A model castle.
(b) A model car.
(c) A model airplane.
(d) A model church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
2. How is the porter treated by Gomm after visiting Merrick's room?
3. What does Treves tell Merrick is the one thing that will make him happy during his stay in the hospital?
4. With whom does Treves think it is important for Merrick to form relationships?
5. What art form is Merrick working on when Mrs. Kennedy arrives at his home for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lord John come begging for money from Treves?
2. During his analysis of Treves' body, what realization does Merrick make about Treves' head?
3. Which high society members come to visit with Merrick during the height of his popularity, what types of gifts do they leave for him?
4. How does Merrick react to the news that he will be allowed an indefinite stay at the hospital?
5. During their argument about Heaven, what reasons does Treves give Merrick for sending Mrs. Kendal away?
6. How does Treves assure that Merrick can stay in the hospital as long as he desires?
7. Who is Mrs. Sandwich?
8. In the letter to the editor, what does Treves add about Merrick?
9. In his letter to the editor, what does Gomm say will happen to Merrick's finances?
10. What similarity does Treves believe he shares with Merrick?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)