|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Merrick doing during the time that Treves is interviewing the nurse?
(a) Sewing his clothes.
(b) Practicing the piano.
(c) Taking a bath.
2. How does Treves feel about his own social advancement?
(a) He thinks he deserves it.
(b) He does not think he deserves it.
(c) He wishes it would move faster.
(d) He does not understand it.
3. When Treves arrives at the police station to pick up Merrick, what does Merrick beg Treves to do?
(a) Leave him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Help him.
(d) Train him.
4. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
(a) The other traveling acts.
(b) The neighborhood association.
(c) The police.
(d) The schools.
5. During the interview with Treves, how did the nurse present herself?
(a) As shy and frightened.
(b) As completely inexperienced.
(c) As competent and experienced.
(d) As warm and affectionate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
2. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
3. Which word does Merrick repeat over and over on the train ride back to London?
4. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
5. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Kendal respond to Treves' proposal that she befriend Merrick?
2. How does Treves handle the process of interviewing and hiring a nurse to care for Merrick?
3. How does Treves describe the Elephant Man to his audience during his first lecture?
4. Why does Treves find himself having an emotional meltdown at the BIshop's feet after discussing Merrick's impending death?
5. What similarity does Treves believe he shares with Merrick?
6. How is Treves' first lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities interrupted?
7. What insight does Merrick have about the play "Romeo and Juliet"?
8. Why does Lord John come begging for money from Treves?
9. Who are the pinheads?
10. What argument about faith do the BIshop and Gomm get into over Merrick's medical treatment?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)