|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the Elephant Man's deformities?
(d) Surgically correctable.
2. Which of the following words does Mrs. Kendal use to describe Merrick's insights into life and love?
3. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe the perspective from the Prince of Wales' private theater seats?
4. As the police are searching his belongings, what word does Merrick croak over and over?
5. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
(a) John Merrick tells them his phone number.
(b) From his business card.
(c) One of the police officers knows Treves' father.
(d) They look him up in the directory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Prince of Wales' seat at the theater?
2. How many policemen arrive in the streets and begin beating Ross and Merrick?
3. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
4. How does Merrick describe his mother to Mrs. Kendal?
5. Which word does Merrick repeat over and over on the train ride back to London?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the dream, what does Gomm say about Treves that echoes back to his statements about Treves in the opening of the play?
2. As Merrick is meeting with the Bishop, what discussion of Merrick's impending death do Gomm and Treves have?
3. How does Mrs. Kendal respond to Treves' proposal that she befriend Merrick?
4. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick, and what is Treves' response to the Bishop's claim?
5. Why does Ross think it is unfair for Merrick to continue living with Treves?
6. How does Treves handle the process of interviewing and hiring a nurse to care for Merrick?
7. Why does Ross come to visit Merrick in the hospital?
8. During their argument about Heaven, what reasons does Treves give Merrick for sending Mrs. Kendal away?
9. What happens when Treves is finally enlightened and thinks of something worthwhile that he would like to print in the letter to the editor?
10. In what ways does role reversal come into play when Treves has a dream about the freak show?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)