|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Treves' subject of choice in the hospital?
2. During the interview with Treves, how did the nurse present herself?
(a) As completely inexperienced.
(b) As warm and affectionate.
(c) As shy and frightened.
(d) As competent and experienced.
3. What does Merrick hope to do with his life if he ever gains normal mobility?
(a) Become a swimmer.
(b) Become a dancer.
(c) Become an architect.
(d) Become a pilot.
4. Which of the Elephant Man's features is described as being "perfectly formed"?
(a) His right leg.
(b) All ten of his fingers.
(c) All ten of his toes.
(d) His left arm.
5. After the police beating, what does Ross tell Merrick that he "stinks of"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe how she imagines Merrick?
2. Which word does Merrick repeat over and over on the train ride back to London?
3. What does Ross do with all of Merrick's savings?
4. Which character does Gomm jokingly refer to as Jesus?
5. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick, and what is Treves' response to the Bishop's claim?
2. How is Merrick treated by the police officers on his travels back to London?
3. During the dream, what statemtents does Gomm make about "good men" and what should happen to them?
4. How are the pinheads involved in Merrick's death?
5. What is the outcome of Mrs. Kendal and Merrick's first meeting?
6. As Merrick is meeting with the Bishop, what discussion of Merrick's impending death do Gomm and Treves have?
7. Why does Lord John come begging for money from Treves?
8. How does Mrs. Kendal feel about the model Merrick is working on?
9. How does Treves assure that Merrick can stay in the hospital as long as he desires?
10. In what ways does role reversal come into play when Treves has a dream about the freak show?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)