|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following members of royalty makes an appearance in Merrick's hospital room?
(a) The Prince of Wales.
(b) The Queen Mother.
(c) The Princess of Wales.
(d) The King of Scotland.
2. When Treves arrives at the police station to pick up Merrick, what does Merrick beg Treves to do?
(a) Leave him.
(b) Help him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Train him.
3. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
4. How old was Merrick when his mother was attacked at the circus?
(a) He was a toddler.
(b) He was a teenager.
(c) He was an infant.
(d) He was in utero.
5. Which of the following best describes the Elephant Man's deformities?
(c) Surgically correctable.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what ward of the hospital does Merrick request to be moved to during his stay?
2. Where was Merrick abandoned as a child?
3. Which of the following philosophers said that the world "is an illusion and the work of an artist is simply an illusion of an illusion"?
4. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
5. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merrick sleep at night, and why?
2. What happens when Treves is finally enlightened and thinks of something worthwhile that he would like to print in the letter to the editor?
3. In his discussion about Merrick's death, what argument does Treves make about the human condition?
4. In his letter to the editor, what does Gomm say will happen to Merrick's finances?
5. What insight does Merrick have about the play "Romeo and Juliet"?
6. How does Treves describe the Elephant Man to his audience during his first lecture?
7. How does Mrs. Kendal respond to Treves' proposal that she befriend Merrick?
8. In the letter to the editor, what does Treves add about Merrick?
9. During the one-on-one scene that each high society member has with the audience, what does the Princess of Wales think is the similarity between her husband and Treves?
10. During Merrick's dream, why and how do the pinheads return?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)