|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving Ross, how is Merrick treated by the fellow passengers on his train ride back to London?
(a) He is verbally and physically abused.
(b) He is forced to answer embarrassing questions about his health.
(c) He is ignored completely.
(d) He is treated with kindness for the first time in his life.
2. How does Merrick describe his mother to Mrs. Kendal?
(a) As angry.
(b) As afraid.
(c) As beautiful.
(d) As intelligent.
3. Which of the following Shakespearean plays is Mrs. Kendal performing in during the time she first meets Merrick?
(a) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Much Ado About Nothing.
4. How does Treves react to Mrs. Kendal's probing questions about Merrick's anatomy?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is professional.
(d) He is embarrassed.
5. Where does Merrick stay while the Bishop is speaking with Treves?
(a) In the library.
(b) On the surgical table.
(c) In his bedroom.
(d) In a bathtub.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book did Merrick study as a child?
2. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
3. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
4. How does the nurse react to Merrick the first time she sees him?
5. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
Short Essay Questions
1. What insight does Merrick have about the play "Romeo and Juliet"?
2. How much money does Merrick save while working for Ross, and what happens to that savings?
3. How are the pinheads involved in Merrick's death?
4. Why does Ross come to visit Merrick in the hospital?
5. What event is happening outside of Merrick's window when a talkative nursing attendant brings Merrick his lunch upon the completion of Merrick's model church?
6. What sales pitch does Ross use to entice passersby into the Elephant Man's tent?
7. Why does Treves think that Mrs. Kendall would be a nice addition to the team caring for Merrick?
8. How does Treves respond to Ross' call for the Elephant Man?
9. What happens when Ross attempts to negotiate Merrick's exhibition with the Belgian police?
10. What does Merrick despise about married men?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)