|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
(a) She is a seamstress.
(b) She is an actress.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is a nurse.
2. Which of the following words does Mrs. Kendal use to describe Merrick's insights into life and love?
3. How does Treves feel about his own social advancement?
(a) He wishes it would move faster.
(b) He thinks he deserves it.
(c) He does not think he deserves it.
(d) He does not understand it.
4. How is the porter treated by Gomm after visiting Merrick's room?
(a) He is scolded.
(b) He is given a raise.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He is promoted.
5. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
(a) The police.
(b) The neighborhood association.
(c) The other traveling acts.
(d) The schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
2. Which of the following best describes the Elephant Man's deformities?
3. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
4. What does Treves say he would like to do with Merrick's life?
5. What does The Princess of Wales call Merrick?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Treves respond to Ross' call for the Elephant Man?
2. How does Gomm greet the new hire, Treves?
3. As Merrick is meeting with the Bishop, what discussion of Merrick's impending death do Gomm and Treves have?
4. How is Treves' first lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities interrupted?
5. What insight does Merrick have about the play "Romeo and Juliet"?
6. How does Treves assure that Merrick can stay in the hospital as long as he desires?
7. Why does Treves find himself having an emotional meltdown at the BIshop's feet after discussing Merrick's impending death?
8. During their argument about Heaven, what reasons does Treves give Merrick for sending Mrs. Kendal away?
9. After Merrick has returned to his room, what does Treves divulge to the audience about his emotions in sending Mrs. Kendal away?
10. How does Treves handle the process of interviewing and hiring a nurse to care for Merrick?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)