|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the nurse react to Merrick the first time she sees him?
(a) She shakes his hand and says that she is happy to meet him.
(b) She sits and stares at him silently.
(c) She gives him a hug.
(d) She screams and runs out of the room.
2. How does Treves react to Mrs. Kendal's probing questions about Merrick's anatomy?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is professional.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is embarrassed.
3. What does The Princess of Wales call Merrick?
(a) That Elephant Bloke.
(b) The Elephant Guy.
(c) The Elephant Man.
(d) That Elephant Thing.
4. Which of the following members of royalty makes an appearance in Merrick's hospital room?
(a) The King of Scotland.
(b) The Princess of Wales.
(c) The Queen Mother.
(d) The Prince of Wales.
5. Which character does Gomm jokingly refer to as Jesus?
(b) The Bishop.
(d) The Nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many policemen arrive in the streets and begin beating Ross and Merrick?
2. Who keeps track of all the gifts Merrick receives from his admirers?
3. How does the caller treat The Elephant Man when calling him out of his tent?
4. While Treves and Merrick are talking, why does the porter enter Merrick's room?
5. What does Treves use to show the audience the Elephant Man's deformities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Treves think that Mrs. Kendall would be a nice addition to the team caring for Merrick?
2. Why does Lord John come begging for money from Treves?
3. Why does Merrick attempt to speak with Treves about the bible?
4. What is the outcome of Mrs. Kendal and Merrick's first meeting?
5. During the dream, what statemtents does Gomm make about "good men" and what should happen to them?
6. In the letter to the editor, what does Treves add about Merrick?
7. How does Merrick feel about the attention he is receiving for his artistic abilities?
8. What happens when Ross attempts to negotiate Merrick's exhibition with the Belgian police?
9. How much money does Merrick save while working for Ross, and what happens to that savings?
10. What happens when Treves is finally enlightened and thinks of something worthwhile that he would like to print in the letter to the editor?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)