|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following Shakespearean plays is Mrs. Kendal performing in during the time she first meets Merrick?
(a) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Much Ado About Nothing.
2. Which book did Merrick study as a child?
(a) The Torah.
(b) The Qur'an.
(c) The Vedas.
(d) The Bible.
3. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
4. How does Merrick react when he sees fellow freak-show performers being abused by their managers?
(a) He attacks the abuser.
(b) He ignores the abuse.
(c) He weeps silently to himself.
(d) He attempts to comfort the victims.
5. After the police beating, what does Ross tell Merrick that he "stinks of"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
2. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
3. How many characters enter the stage to discuss the similarities they feel with Merrick?
4. What does Ross do with all of Merrick's savings?
5. What does the interrupter state about the Elephant Man putting himself on display?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Ross and Merrick's argument about returning to work together, how do the two men taunt each other?
2. How does Gomm greet the new hire, Treves?
3. Why does Treves find himself having an emotional meltdown at the BIshop's feet after discussing Merrick's impending death?
4. In his discussion about Merrick's death, what argument does Treves make about the human condition?
5. What is the symbolism of the model church that Merrick is working toward completing?
6. What insight does Merrick have about the play "Romeo and Juliet"?
7. How does Treves assure that Merrick can stay in the hospital as long as he desires?
8. What is the outcome of Mrs. Kendal and Merrick's first meeting?
9. How does Merrick spend the few moments directly before he dies?
10. How does Mrs. Kendal respond to Treves' proposal that she befriend Merrick?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)