|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
(a) A flower.
(b) A church.
(c) A face.
(d) An eagle.
2. Which of the following best describes Treves' voice as he describes the Elephant Man to the audience during a lecture?
3. How old was Merrick when his mother was attacked at the circus?
(a) He was a toddler.
(b) He was in utero.
(c) He was an infant.
(d) He was a teenager.
4. What does the interrupter state about the Elephant Man putting himself on display?
(a) That it is boring.
(b) That it is disgusting.
(c) That it is immoral.
(d) That it is terrifying.
5. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
(a) From his business card.
(b) John Merrick tells them his phone number.
(c) They look him up in the directory.
(d) One of the police officers knows Treves' father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT make a comparison to Merrick?
3. Where was Merrick abandoned as a child?
4. After exiting the train, who hands Merrick over to the police officers?
5. What does Merrick hope to do with his life if he ever gains normal mobility?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the one-on-one scene that each high society member has with the audience, what does the Princess of Wales think is the similarity between her husband and Treves?
2. During his analysis of Treves' body, what notes does Merrick make about Treves' left hand?
3. Why does Treves find himself having an emotional meltdown at the BIshop's feet after discussing Merrick's impending death?
4. What does Merrick despise about married men?
5. Why does Merrick attempt to speak with Treves about the bible?
6. What information about his mother does Merrick give to Mrs. Kendal upon their first meeting?
7. How does Treves describe the Elephant Man to his audience during his first lecture?
8. Why is the porter fired from working at the hospital?
9. What is the symbolism of the model church that Merrick is working toward completing?
10. What does Treves tell Merrick about anesthetic and his patient who nearly didn't come out of it?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)