Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what ward of the hospital does Merrick request to be moved to during his stay?
(a) The amputee unit.
(b) The comatose unit.
(c) The deaf unit.
(d) The blind unit.
2. Which of the following characters does NOT make a comparison to Merrick?
(b) The Bishop.
(d) The Conductor.
3. Which of the following best describes Treves' voice as he describes the Elephant Man to the audience during a lecture?
4. How does the nurse react to Merrick the first time she sees him?
(a) She gives him a hug.
(b) She screams and runs out of the room.
(c) She sits and stares at him silently.
(d) She shakes his hand and says that she is happy to meet him.
5. How does Treves feel about his own social advancement?
(a) He does not understand it.
(b) He wishes it would move faster.
(c) He thinks he deserves it.
(d) He does not think he deserves it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following Shakespearean plays is Mrs. Kendal performing in during the time she first meets Merrick?
2. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
3. What is The Elephant Man's real name?
4. How does Merrick react when he sees fellow freak-show performers being abused by their managers?
5. Merrick states that the model he is working on is a symbol for what, "flying up from the mud"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merrick despise about married men?
2. What similarity does Treves believe he shares with Merrick?
3. What happens when Treves is finally enlightened and thinks of something worthwhile that he would like to print in the letter to the editor?
4. How are the pinheads involved in Merrick's death?
5. In his letter to the editor, what does Gomm say will happen to Merrick's finances?
6. Why does Ross think it is unfair for Merrick to continue living with Treves?
7. How does Merrick respond to Ross' unexpected visit?
8. Why does Merrick attempt to speak with Treves about the bible?
9. How much money does Merrick save while working for Ross, and what happens to that savings?
10. How does Merrick feel about the attention he is receiving for his artistic abilities?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)