|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Merrick states that the model he is working on is a symbol for what, "flying up from the mud"?
2. What is Treves' subject of choice in the hospital?
3. What does Merrick hope to do with his life if he ever gains normal mobility?
(a) Become an architect.
(b) Become a pilot.
(c) Become a dancer.
(d) Become a swimmer.
4. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
(a) He begins to laugh.
(b) He begins to smile.
(c) He begins to shout.
(d) He begins to sob.
5. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
Short Answer Questions
1. What art form is Merrick working on when Mrs. Kennedy arrives at his home for the first time?
2. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
3. Which of the following philosophers said that the world "is an illusion and the work of an artist is simply an illusion of an illusion"?
4. What does the caller state is the only thing more painful to The Elephant Man than his physical deformities?
5. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about his mother does Merrick give to Mrs. Kendal upon their first meeting?
2. How does Merrick spend the few moments directly before he dies?
3. What does Merrick despise about married men?
4. During the one-on-one scene that each high society member has with the audience, what does the Princess of Wales think is the similarity between her husband and Treves?
5. How does Merrick feel about the attention he is receiving for his artistic abilities?
6. In what ways does role reversal come into play when Treves has a dream about the freak show?
7. How much money does Merrick save while working for Ross, and what happens to that savings?
8. Why does Merrick attempt to speak with Treves about the bible?
9. After Merrick has returned to his room, what does Treves divulge to the audience about his emotions in sending Mrs. Kendal away?
10. Which high society members come to visit with Merrick during the height of his popularity, what types of gifts do they leave for him?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)