|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT make a comparison to Merrick?
(a) The Bishop.
(d) The Conductor.
2. What does The Princess of Wales call Merrick?
(a) The Elephant Guy.
(b) That Elephant Thing.
(c) The Elephant Man.
(d) That Elephant Bloke.
3. After riding on the train, what other mode of transportation does Merrick take back to London?
(a) A boat.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A taxi.
4. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
5. Which word does Mrs. Kendal use to describe her life on display?
(a) A mosaic.
(b) A dance.
(c) An illusion.
(d) A mask.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Merrick abandoned as a child?
2. Which of the following animals knocked Merrick's mother over while she was visiting a circus?
3. Which book did Merrick study as a child?
4. What part of Merrick's body is Mrs.Kendal most interested in?
5. How does Merrick describe his mother to Mrs. Kendal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Treves handle the process of interviewing and hiring a nurse to care for Merrick?
2. Why does Lord John come begging for money from Treves?
3. How does Merrick react to the news that Lord John has stolen money from him?
4. How does Mrs. Kendal feel about the model Merrick is working on?
5. What event is happening outside of Merrick's window when a talkative nursing attendant brings Merrick his lunch upon the completion of Merrick's model church?
6. How does Treves assure that Merrick can stay in the hospital as long as he desires?
7. During the dream, what does Gomm say about Treves that echoes back to his statements about Treves in the opening of the play?
8. What is the reaction to Mrs. Kendal's nudity in Merrick's room?
9. During the one-on-one scene that each high society member has with the audience, what does the Princess of Wales think is the similarity between her husband and Treves?
10. Why does Treves find himself having an emotional meltdown at the BIshop's feet after discussing Merrick's impending death?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)