|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Treves say he would like to do with Merrick's life?
(a) Make him a lot of money.
(b) Make him the strongest man in the world.
(c) Make it as normal as possible.
(d) Make him famous.
2. Which word does Mrs. Kendal use to describe her life on display?
(a) A mosaic.
(b) An illusion.
(c) A dance.
(d) A mask.
3. What is Treves' subject of choice in the hospital?
4. What does Treves' supervisor state that Treves needs to increase in order to keep everyone happy?
(a) His list of patients.
(b) The amount of surgeries he can perform.
(c) The hospital's reputation.
(d) His own salary.
5. Which of the following best describes Treves' first conversation with Mrs. Kendal?
Short Answer Questions
1. Merrick states that the model he is working on is a symbol for what, "flying up from the mud"?
2. Which of the following characters believes that all humans are simply copies God has created?
3. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
4. How does Treves spread the word that he is searching for charitable donations to care for Merrick?
5. What does Mrs. Kendal call Merrick after she sees the model he is working on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick, and what is Treves' response to the Bishop's claim?
2. In what ways does role reversal come into play when Treves has a dream about the freak show?
3. What sales pitch does Ross use to entice passersby into the Elephant Man's tent?
4. Why does Treves find himself having an emotional meltdown at the BIshop's feet after discussing Merrick's impending death?
5. What does Treves tell Merrick about anesthetic and his patient who nearly didn't come out of it?
6. What insight does Merrick have about the play "Romeo and Juliet"?
7. During his analysis of Treves' body, what realization does Merrick make about Treves' head?
8. Why has Treves moved to London?
9. Who are the pinheads?
10. Why does Lord John come begging for money from Treves?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)