|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) An off-stage voice.
(b) John Merrick.
(c) Treves' assistant.
(d) A woman in the front row.
2. What does Mrs. Kendal call Merrick after she sees the model he is working on?
(a) An artist.
(b) A genuis.
(c) A savant.
(d) A fool.
3. Which of the following does Treves NOT accuse the caller of using to alter The Elephant Man's appearance?
4. At which theatrical theater does the Prince of Wales own his own boxed seat?
(a) The ballet.
(b) The symphony.
(c) The stage.
(d) The opera.
5. How old was Merrick when his mother was attacked at the circus?
(a) He was a toddler.
(b) He was a teenager.
(c) He was in utero.
(d) He was an infant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
2. Why does Merrick claim to have left London?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Merrick's compliments to Mrs. Kendal?
4. What does Treves say he would like to do with Merrick's life?
5. How many characters enter the stage to discuss the similarities they feel with Merrick?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the dream, what statemtents does Gomm make about "good men" and what should happen to them?
2. During Ross and Merrick's argument about returning to work together, how do the two men taunt each other?
3. In what ways does role reversal come into play when Treves has a dream about the freak show?
4. What happens when Treves is finally enlightened and thinks of something worthwhile that he would like to print in the letter to the editor?
5. How does Merrick react to the news that Lord John has stolen money from him?
6. Why does Treves think that Mrs. Kendall would be a nice addition to the team caring for Merrick?
7. What happens when Ross attempts to negotiate Merrick's exhibition with the Belgian police?
8. How does Treves describe the Elephant Man to his audience during his first lecture?
9. In his discussion about Merrick's death, what argument does Treves make about the human condition?
10. How are the pinheads involved in Merrick's death?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)