|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters believes that all humans are simply copies God has created?
(a) Mrs. Kendal.
2. How old was Merrick when his mother was attacked at the circus?
(a) He was an infant.
(b) He was a toddler.
(c) He was in utero.
(d) He was a teenager.
3. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
4. How does Treves spread the word that he is searching for charitable donations to care for Merrick?
(a) Over the radio.
(b) Through word of mouth.
(c) In a church bulletin.
(d) In the newspaper.
5. Which of the following characters does NOT make a comparison to Merrick?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) The Conductor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the Elephant Man's deformities?
2. Which of the following philosophers said that the world "is an illusion and the work of an artist is simply an illusion of an illusion"?
3. How does Treves feel about his own social advancement?
4. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
5. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What insight does Merrick have about the play "Romeo and Juliet"?
2. As Merrick is meeting with the Bishop, what discussion of Merrick's impending death do Gomm and Treves have?
3. How is Treves' first lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities interrupted?
4. Which high society members come to visit with Merrick during the height of his popularity, what types of gifts do they leave for him?
5. What event is happening outside of Merrick's window when a talkative nursing attendant brings Merrick his lunch upon the completion of Merrick's model church?
6. What is the reaction to Mrs. Kendal's nudity in Merrick's room?
7. Why does Lord John come begging for money from Treves?
8. How does Mrs. Kendal feel about the model Merrick is working on?
9. Why does Ross come to visit Merrick in the hospital?
10. How does Treves describe the Elephant Man to his audience during his first lecture?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)