|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) Treves' assistant.
(b) John Merrick.
(c) An off-stage voice.
(d) A woman in the front row.
2. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
3. How does Treves feel about his own social advancement?
(a) He thinks he deserves it.
(b) He does not think he deserves it.
(c) He does not understand it.
(d) He wishes it would move faster.
4. How does Merrick react when he sees fellow freak-show performers being abused by their managers?
(a) He ignores the abuse.
(b) He attempts to comfort the victims.
(c) He attacks the abuser.
(d) He weeps silently to himself.
5. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
(a) He begins to laugh.
(b) He begins to sob.
(c) He begins to smile.
(d) He begins to shout.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the police are searching his belongings, what word does Merrick croak over and over?
2. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT make a comparison to Merrick?
4. After the police beating, what does Ross tell Merrick that he "stinks of"?
5. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Treves is finally enlightened and thinks of something worthwhile that he would like to print in the letter to the editor?
2. How is Merrick treated by the police officers on his travels back to London?
3. What is the outcome of Mrs. Kendal and Merrick's first meeting?
4. What similarity does Treves believe he shares with Merrick?
5. Why is the porter fired from working at the hospital?
6. Who is Mrs. Kendal?
7. What information about his mother does Merrick give to Mrs. Kendal upon their first meeting?
8. How does Merrick feel about the attention he is receiving for his artistic abilities?
9. How does Treves describe the Elephant Man to his audience during his first lecture?
10. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick, and what is Treves' response to the Bishop's claim?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)