|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Treves arrives at the police station to pick up Merrick, what does Merrick beg Treves to do?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Train him.
(c) Leave him.
(d) Help him.
2. How does Treves react to Mrs. Kendal's probing questions about Merrick's anatomy?
(a) He is professional.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He is confused.
3. How is the porter treated by Gomm after visiting Merrick's room?
(a) He is scolded.
(b) He is given a raise.
(c) He is promoted.
(d) He is fired.
4. How many policemen arrive in the streets and begin beating Ross and Merrick?
5. What does Treves say the public believes about Merrick's medical condition?
(a) That Merrick's condition is a death sentence.
(b) That Merrick's condition is curable.
(c) That Merrick's condition is contagious.
(d) That Merrick's condition is self-inflicted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words does Mrs. Kendal use to describe Merrick's insights into life and love?
2. With whom does Treves think it is important for Merrick to form relationships?
3. How does Merrick describe his mother to Mrs. Kendal?
4. While Treves and Merrick are talking, why does the porter enter Merrick's room?
5. After the police beating, what does Ross tell Merrick that he "stinks of"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Treves assure that Merrick can stay in the hospital as long as he desires?
2. What insight does Merrick have about the play "Romeo and Juliet"?
3. What similarity does Treves believe he shares with Merrick?
4. During their argument about Heaven, what reasons does Treves give Merrick for sending Mrs. Kendal away?
5. How does Treves handle the process of interviewing and hiring a nurse to care for Merrick?
6. In the letter to the editor, what does Treves add about Merrick?
7. Who is Mrs. Kendal?
8. In his discussion about Merrick's death, what argument does Treves make about the human condition?
9. Who are the pinheads?
10. How does Mrs. Kendal feel about the model Merrick is working on?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)