|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
(a) Broken promises.
(b) Other people's dreams.
(c) His own sorrow.
2. What does Merrick find most envious about married men?
(a) That they could have children.
(b) That they will always have homecooked dinners.
(c) That they can look at a woman every day.
(d) That they do not have to sleep alone.
3. In the dream, who does Gomm call a "good man"?
(c) The Bishop.
4. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the manager of his show?
(b) His mother.
(c) Mrs. Kendal.
5. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", what does Merrick say is his reasoning for wanting to visit with him?
(a) To befriend him.
(b) To save him.
(c) To kill him.
(d) To examine him.
6. How does the Bishop respond to Treves' meltdown as he begins weeping at the Bishop's feet?
(a) The Bishop attempts to console him.
(b) The Bishop is disgusted by Treves' tears.
(c) The Bishop ignores Treves completely.
(d) The Bishop is confused by Treves' outburst.
7. To which part of the hospital will the rest of Merrick's funds be absorbed?
(a) Outreach for the poor.
(c) Food services.
(d) The general revenue.
8. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
(a) Organ donation.
(b) Brain surgery.
(c) Skin graphs.
9. To which of the following objects does Treves compare Merrick when speaking to the Bishop?
(a) A light bulb.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A sea of water.
(d) An ivy plant.
10. How does Merrick react to Mrs. Kendal's list of women who may be interested in seeing him?
(a) He is embarrassed at the suggestion.
(b) He rejects all of them.
(c) He decides to meet them all, one by one.
(d) He divides the list into two groups - the ones he would like to see and the ones he is not interested in.
11. What does Merrick say to Treves about Mrs. Kendal's nudity after she leaves the hospital?
(a) He says it was the most beautiful thing he has ever seen.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He says it was not what he expected.
(d) He says a woman's body is like a flower.
12. When Ross visits Merrick in the hospital, what does he ask him for?
(c) More money.
13. What does Gomm claim Merrick has brought to the hospital along with esteem?
(a) Incurable diseases.
14. Which word is the nursing attendant struggling to remember when he leaves Merrick's room abruptly?
15. About what does Ross taunt Merrick when he knows he has lost the debate with him?
(a) Being unable to speak properly.
(b) Being a charity case.
(c) Being with a woman.
(d) Being terribly ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Merrick most worried about now that he knows Lord John has stolen his money?
2. When Merrick was a child, from where did Ross rescue him?
3. How do the pinheads describe the world that has been revealed to them since leaving the freak show?
4. What warning does Gomm give to Treves after Lord John is removed from the hospital?
5. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)