|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters is NOT involved in the conversation about Merrick's missing money?
(a) Lord John.
2. During his argument with Merrick, what does Treves repeatedly ask him?
(a) If he is afraid.
(b) If he is stupid.
(c) If he is angry.
(d) If he is happy.
3. How does Treves react when he sees Mrs. Kendal nude in Merrick's room?
(a) He is amused.
(b) He is outraged.
(c) He is apologetic.
(d) He is confused.
4. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
(a) Invest in the stocks.
(b) Purchase new medical equiptment.
(c) Build a house.
(d) Travel around the world.
5. What do the pinheads urge Merrick to enter?
(a) "The love of the world".
(b) "The only heaven we know".
(c) "The empire of darkness".
(d) "The eternity of man".
6. How does Merrick react to Mrs. Kendal's list of women who may be interested in seeing him?
(a) He decides to meet them all, one by one.
(b) He is embarrassed at the suggestion.
(c) He rejects all of them.
(d) He divides the list into two groups - the ones he would like to see and the ones he is not interested in.
7. What is the general focus of the letter published after Merrick's death?
(a) Merrick's medical files.
(b) Funeral arrangements.
(c) Words of remembrance.
8. Which character intercedes with Lord John, telling him to stop begging for money?
(a) The Bishop.
9. Where does Merrick rest his head while he is sleeping?
(a) On his knees.
(b) On his shoulder.
(c) On his arms.
(d) On a specially built prop.
10. What are the pinheads doing when they arrive to Merrick's bedside before he dies?
11. How do the pinheads describe the world that has been revealed to them since leaving the freak show?
(a) As glorious.
(b) As full of sorrow.
(c) As terrifying.
(d) As indecent.
12. About what does Ross taunt Merrick when he knows he has lost the debate with him?
(a) Being a charity case.
(b) Being with a woman.
(c) Being terribly ugly.
(d) Being unable to speak properly.
13. In what newspaper is the letter written after Merrick's death is published?
(a) The London Lantern.
(b) The Daily Mail.
(c) The London Times.
(d) The English Express.
14. How does Treves feel about Merrick after his death?
(a) He says he no longer understands him.
(b) He says he is proud to have known him.
(c) He says he wished he could have done more for him.
(d) He says he feels guilty about the way he treated him.
15. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the letter, what does Gomm thank the newspaper for?
2. In the dream, what does Gomm say about "good men"?
3. Who reads Treves the letter written after Merrick's death?
4. When Merrick was a child, from where did Ross rescue him?
5. When Ross visits Merrick in the hospital, what does he ask him for?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)