|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Merrick attribute to Treves' left hand and the way it covers his body?
2. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
(a) His soul might pass over.
(b) His heart might give out.
(c) His attitude might change.
(d) His body might die.
3. What are the final words of the play?
(a) Behold, the heavens await you.
(b) It is done.
(c) Go now, and be happy.
(d) In his name.
4. What does Merrick find most envious about married men?
(a) That they can look at a woman every day.
(b) That they do not have to sleep alone.
(c) That they will always have homecooked dinners.
(d) That they could have children.
5. Which character arrives, saying there is news about Lord John in the newspapers?
(b) Fredrick Treves.
(c) Walsham How.
(d) Mrs. Kendal.
6. While Treves is sleeping, what part about him does Merrick analyze?
(a) His body.
(b) His soul.
(c) His dreams.
(d) His medical journals.
7. What part of Merrick might collapse if he laid down to sleep at night?
(a) His ribcage.
(b) His spine.
(c) His lungs.
(d) His windpipe.
8. Which character intercedes with Lord John, telling him to stop begging for money?
(c) The Bishop.
9. How many naked women has Merrick seen in his life?
10. What maddens Merrick about some married men?
(a) The fact that some are stingy with their money.
(b) The fact that some beat their wives.
(c) The fact that some are alcoholics.
(d) The fact that some men also take mistresses.
11. What do the pinheads urge Merrick to enter?
(a) "The only heaven we know".
(b) "The empire of darkness".
(c) "The eternity of man".
(d) "The love of the world".
12. When Treves' wakes up from his dream, during which time Merrick was analyzing him, what does Merrick do to busy himself?
(a) He works on his model.
(b) He folds some laundry.
(c) He composes a letter.
(d) He reads a book.
13. In the dream, what does Gomm call Treves in response to Merrick's payment offer?
(a) He calls Treves a man of honor.
(b) He calls Treves a one-man moral swamp.
(c) He cals Treves a black hole.
(d) He calls Treves a valuable investment.
14. What is Merrick most worried about now that he knows Lord John has stolen his money?
(a) That Mrs. Kendal views him as a failure.
(b) That he will no longer be able to stay in the hospital.
(c) That his high society friends will no longer love him.
(d) That Treves is disappointed in him.
15. As Treves is weeping at the Bishop's feet, what announcement does Merrick make?
(a) He is leaving the hospital.
(b) He would like to return to the freak show.
(c) He has finished his model.
(d) He is ready to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Treves brushes past Mrs. Kendal in the hospital, which of the following finishes his sentence, "This is a hospital, not a ___________"?
2. Who does Merrick attempt to speak with about his readings in the bible?
3. During his argument with Merrick, what does Treves repeatedly ask him?
4. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
5. How does Merrick react to Mrs. Kendal's list of women who may be interested in seeing him?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)