|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character intercedes with Lord John, telling him to stop begging for money?
(d) The Bishop.
2. What does Gomm call Lord John after witnessing him beg for money?
(a) A one-man moral swamp.
(b) A one-man money pit.
(c) A one-man black hole.
(d) A one-man cesspool.
3. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the doctor?
(a) Mrs. Kendal.
4. How many naked women has Merrick seen in his life?
5. What do the pinheads encourage Merrick to do, resulting in his death?
(a) Press his pillow to his face.
(b) Lie on his back.
(c) Hold his breath.
(d) Drink a bottle of poison.
6. Which meal does the attendant bring to Merrick directly after he finishes his model church?
7. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
(a) His attitude might change.
(b) His soul might pass over.
(c) His body might die.
(d) His heart might give out.
8. During his analysis, which of the following words does Merrick use to describe Treves' condition?
9. What advice does the Bishop give to Merrick in his hopes of finding a woman?
(a) He tells Merrick that any woman would be lucky to have him.
(b) He tells Merrick that he will help any way he can.
(c) He tells Merrick that women will be afraid of him.
(d) He tells Merrick to forget about such foolish ideas.
10. What does Treves come running back into the room to say about Merrick?
(a) He never says anything.
(b) That Merrick was a hero.
(c) That Merrick was a man.
(d) That Merrick was a monster.
11. In the letter, what does Gomm thank the newspaper for?
(a) Supporting the hosptial, and therefore, London.
(b) Giving a voice to all the disabled people in the world.
(c) Taking interest in such a lowly case as Merrick's.
(d) Printing the letters that led to the financial donations.
12. What did Treves' patient, who had a near death experience, tell her "heaven" was like?
(a) Sitting amongst the angels.
(b) Walking through fog.
(c) Being trapped underwater.
(d) Walking over fiery coals.
13. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick?
(a) He finds them terrifying.
(b) He finds them boring.
(c) He finds them very moving.
(d) He finds them troublesome.
14. What maddens Merrick about some married men?
(a) The fact that some beat their wives.
(b) The fact that some are alcoholics.
(c) The fact that some are stingy with their money.
(d) The fact that some men also take mistresses.
15. What does Ross say he admires most about Merrick?
(a) Merrick's ability to forgive those around him.
(b) Merrick's ability to make people feel good about themselves.
(c) Merrick's ability to love through his hate.
(d) Merrick's ability to make money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
2. What are the final words of the play?
3. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
4. What is Treves reading when Merrick comes to speak with him about death?
5. Which event passes in front of Merrick's window as he is visiting with the nursing attendant?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)