|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Lord John return, begging for more money?
(d) The Bishop.
2. How does Treves argue that people feel when they see themselves reflected in Merrick?
(a) They feel afraid.
(b) They feel amused.
(c) They feel confused.
(d) They feel flattered.
3. Which character intercedes with Lord John, telling him to stop begging for money?
(c) The Bishop.
4. What does Treves come running back into the room to say about Merrick?
(a) That Merrick was a monster.
(b) That Merrick was a man.
(c) He never says anything.
(d) That Merrick was a hero.
5. What does Treves believe has happened to Merrick as he has become more physically deformed?
(a) He has become more emotionally normal.
(b) He has lost touch of his emotions.
(c) He has become more emotionally deformed.
(d) He has lost touch of what it means to be human.
6. What is Merrick doing with the Bishop while Treves and Gomm are having a private discussion?
(a) Working on the model.
(b) Drinking tea.
7. What do the pinheads urge Merrick to enter?
(a) "The love of the world".
(b) "The empire of darkness".
(c) "The eternity of man".
(d) "The only heaven we know".
8. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
(a) A nurse.
(c) The Bishop.
9. During Ross' visit, what does Merrick compare himself to?
(a) A dog.
(b) A pig.
(c) A worm.
(d) A whore.
10. How does Treves react when he sees Mrs. Kendal nude in Merrick's room?
(a) He is apologetic.
(b) He is amused.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is outraged.
11. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick?
(a) He finds them terrifying.
(b) He finds them troublesome.
(c) He finds them boring.
(d) He finds them very moving.
12. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
(a) His soul might pass over.
(b) His heart might give out.
(c) His body might die.
(d) His attitude might change.
13. What does Ross say he admires most about Merrick?
(a) Merrick's ability to make money.
(b) Merrick's ability to forgive those around him.
(c) Merrick's ability to love through his hate.
(d) Merrick's ability to make people feel good about themselves.
14. Whose wishes does Gomm hope to fulfill in his use of Merrick's money?
(b) The donors.
(d) The patients.
15. Which part of Merrick's name is printed incorrectly in the letter?
(a) His nickname.
(b) His title.
(c) His first name.
(d) His last name.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
2. As Treves is weeping at the Bishop's feet, what announcement does Merrick make?
3. How does the Bishop respond to Treves' meltdown as he begins weeping at the Bishop's feet?
4. How does Merrick respond to Ross' proposal?
5. What is the general focus of the letter published after Merrick's death?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)