|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many naked women has Merrick seen in his life?
2. What is the general focus of the letter published after Merrick's death?
(a) Funeral arrangements.
(b) Merrick's medical files.
(c) Words of remembrance.
3. How does Merrick respond to Ross' proposal?
(a) He says that he will ask Treves for his opinion on the matter.
(b) He says that he hopes Ross dies.
(c) He says that he never wants to be on display again.
(d) He says that he never wants to see Ross again.
4. Who reads Treves the letter written after Merrick's death?
(a) Mrs. Kendal.
(b) Mrs. Sandwich.
(d) The Bishop.
5. How does Merrick react to Mrs. Kendal's list of women who may be interested in seeing him?
(a) He decides to meet them all, one by one.
(b) He rejects all of them.
(c) He is embarrassed at the suggestion.
(d) He divides the list into two groups - the ones he would like to see and the ones he is not interested in.
6. In the dream, who does Merrick claim will be the "perfect subject" for his study?
(c) The Bishop.
7. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
(a) His body might die.
(b) His heart might give out.
(c) His soul might pass over.
(d) His attitude might change.
8. What does Ross say he admires most about Merrick?
(a) Merrick's ability to make people feel good about themselves.
(b) Merrick's ability to forgive those around him.
(c) Merrick's ability to make money.
(d) Merrick's ability to love through his hate.
9. What are the pinheads doing when they arrive to Merrick's bedside before he dies?
10. To which part of the hospital will the rest of Merrick's funds be absorbed?
(a) Food services.
(c) The general revenue.
(d) Outreach for the poor.
11. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
(a) Purchase new medical equiptment.
(b) Build a house.
(c) Travel around the world.
(d) Invest in the stocks.
12. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the manager of his show?
(b) Mrs. Kendal.
(c) His mother.
13. Which part of Merrick's name is printed incorrectly in the letter?
(a) His title.
(b) His nickname.
(c) His last name.
(d) His first name.
14. Which event passes in front of Merrick's window as he is visiting with the nursing attendant?
(a) A baptism.
(b) A wedding.
(c) A graduation.
(d) A funeral.
15. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
(a) In the bible.
(b) In his fellow man.
(c) In the church.
(d) In God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
2. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
3. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
4. When visiting Merrick in the hospital, what does Ross propose?
5. What do the pinheads urge Merrick to enter?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)