|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
(c) A nurse.
(d) The Bishop.
2. What advice does the Bishop give to Merrick in his hopes of finding a woman?
(a) He tells Merrick that any woman would be lucky to have him.
(b) He tells Merrick that he will help any way he can.
(c) He tells Merrick to forget about such foolish ideas.
(d) He tells Merrick that women will be afraid of him.
3. Where does Merrick rest his head while he is sleeping?
(a) On his shoulder.
(b) On his arms.
(c) On his knees.
(d) On a specially built prop.
4. When Treves' wakes up from his dream, during which time Merrick was analyzing him, what does Merrick do to busy himself?
(a) He folds some laundry.
(b) He works on his model.
(c) He reads a book.
(d) He composes a letter.
5. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the doctor?
(c) Mrs. Kendal.
6. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
7. What are the final words of the play?
(a) In his name.
(b) Go now, and be happy.
(c) Behold, the heavens await you.
(d) It is done.
8. When Treves brushes past Mrs. Kendal in the hospital, which of the following finishes his sentence, "This is a hospital, not a ___________"?
(a) Tea party.
(b) Opera hall.
9. Which word is the nursing attendant struggling to remember when he leaves Merrick's room abruptly?
10. What maddens Merrick about some married men?
(a) The fact that some are alcoholics.
(b) The fact that some are stingy with their money.
(c) The fact that some beat their wives.
(d) The fact that some men also take mistresses.
11. To which part of the hospital will the rest of Merrick's funds be absorbed?
(a) The general revenue.
(b) Outreach for the poor.
(c) Food services.
12. During his argument with Treves, what word does Merrick constantly ask the definition of?
13. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
(a) Other people's dreams.
(b) Broken promises.
(c) His own sorrow.
14. How does the Bishop respond to Treves' meltdown as he begins weeping at the Bishop's feet?
(a) The Bishop attempts to console him.
(b) The Bishop is confused by Treves' outburst.
(c) The Bishop ignores Treves completely.
(d) The Bishop is disgusted by Treves' tears.
15. While Treves is sleeping, what part about him does Merrick analyze?
(a) His body.
(b) His dreams.
(c) His medical journals.
(d) His soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Merrick might collapse if he laid down to sleep at night?
2. What is the general focus of the letter published after Merrick's death?
3. Which event passes in front of Merrick's window as he is visiting with the nursing attendant?
4. Which word finished Treves' statement about the human condition, " To become more ________ is to die"?
5. What warning does Gomm give to Treves after Lord John is removed from the hospital?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)