|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following elements does Merrick note in Treves' character while he is examining him?
2. How does Treves argue that people feel when they see themselves reflected in Merrick?
(a) They feel afraid.
(b) They feel flattered.
(c) They feel confused.
(d) They feel amused.
3. Whose wishes does Gomm hope to fulfill in his use of Merrick's money?
(a) The donors.
(c) The patients.
4. How does Treves react when he sees Mrs. Kendal nude in Merrick's room?
(a) He is apologetic.
(b) He is outraged.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is amused.
5. How does Treves feel about Merrick after his death?
(a) He says he is proud to have known him.
(b) He says he no longer understands him.
(c) He says he wished he could have done more for him.
(d) He says he feels guilty about the way he treated him.
6. Which part of Merrick's name is printed incorrectly in the letter?
(a) His first name.
(b) His last name.
(c) His nickname.
(d) His title.
7. What advice does the Bishop give to Merrick in his hopes of finding a woman?
(a) He tells Merrick that women will be afraid of him.
(b) He tells Merrick that he will help any way he can.
(c) He tells Merrick to forget about such foolish ideas.
(d) He tells Merrick that any woman would be lucky to have him.
8. About what does Ross taunt Merrick when he knows he has lost the debate with him?
(a) Being with a woman.
(b) Being terribly ugly.
(c) Being unable to speak properly.
(d) Being a charity case.
9. What does Merrick say to Treves about Mrs. Kendal's nudity after she leaves the hospital?
(a) He says a woman's body is like a flower.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He says it was the most beautiful thing he has ever seen.
(d) He says it was not what he expected.
10. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
(b) A nurse.
(c) The Bishop.
11. In the dream, what does Gomm say about "good men"?
(a) That they should be exploited for their niavite.
(b) That they are exploited just as easily as nasty men.
(c) That he has met only one "good man" during the course of his life.
(d) That they shouldn't be exploited.
12. How does the Bishop respond to Treves' meltdown as he begins weeping at the Bishop's feet?
(a) The Bishop ignores Treves completely.
(b) The Bishop attempts to console him.
(c) The Bishop is confused by Treves' outburst.
(d) The Bishop is disgusted by Treves' tears.
13. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
(a) He does not want Mrs. Kendal to see Merrick die.
(b) Mrs. Kendal has admitted to being terrified of Merrick.
(c) He does not think Merrick could emotionally handel Mrs. Kendal's return.
(d) He is in love with Mrs. Kendal and wants her for himself.
14. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
(a) In the church.
(b) In the bible.
(c) In his fellow man.
(d) In God.
15. When Treves' wakes up from his dream, during which time Merrick was analyzing him, what does Merrick do to busy himself?
(a) He folds some laundry.
(b) He reads a book.
(c) He works on his model.
(d) He composes a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treves argue is the attractive element of Merrick's character?
2. When visiting Merrick in the hospital, what does Ross propose?
3. During his argument with Treves, what word does Merrick constantly ask the definition of?
4. What part of Merrick might collapse if he laid down to sleep at night?
5. Which of the following characters is knighted in the course of the play?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)