|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
2. What part of Merrick might collapse if he laid down to sleep at night?
(a) His windpipe.
(b) His lungs.
(c) His ribcage.
(d) His spine.
3. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
(a) Skin graphs.
(b) Brain surgery.
(d) Organ donation.
4. While Merrick is in his meeting with the Bishop, what are Gomm and Treves discussing in the next room?
(a) Merrick's love life.
(b) Merrick's personal hygiene.
(c) Merrick's death.
(d) Merrick's spirituality.
5. What advice does the Bishop give to Merrick in his hopes of finding a woman?
(a) He tells Merrick that any woman would be lucky to have him.
(b) He tells Merrick to forget about such foolish ideas.
(c) He tells Merrick that women will be afraid of him.
(d) He tells Merrick that he will help any way he can.
6. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
(b) His own sorrow.
(c) Broken promises.
(d) Other people's dreams.
7. When Treves' wakes up from his dream, during which time Merrick was analyzing him, what does Merrick do to busy himself?
(a) He folds some laundry.
(b) He reads a book.
(c) He composes a letter.
(d) He works on his model.
8. Which event passes in front of Merrick's window as he is visiting with the nursing attendant?
(a) A graduation.
(b) A baptism.
(c) A funeral.
(d) A wedding.
9. During his analysis, which of the following words does Merrick use to describe Treves' condition?
10. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the manager of his show?
(b) His mother.
(d) Mrs. Kendal.
11. How does Merrick respond to Ross' proposal?
(a) He says that he never wants to see Ross again.
(b) He says that he will ask Treves for his opinion on the matter.
(c) He says that he never wants to be on display again.
(d) He says that he hopes Ross dies.
12. What does Ross think is unfair about the fact that Merrick is living with Treves?
(a) Treves is receiving all the benefits of Merrick's health.
(b) Treves is using Merrick, and treating him like a dog.
(c) Merrick does not want to live with Treves, but return to life with Ross.
(d) Treves is unaware of the hard work that comes with rearing Merrick.
13. What warning does Gomm give to Treves after Lord John is removed from the hospital?
(a) That Merrick is losing his money, fast.
(b) Not to tell anyone about these dealings.
(c) That Lord John is a very dangerous man.
(d) To make better friends.
14. What does Treves argue is the attractive element of Merrick's character?
(a) That he able to see the good in all of humanity.
(b) That he is unafraid of death.
(c) That he is so intelligent and unafraid to voice his opinions.
(d) That he is so grateful to be treated like a human being.
15. In the dream, what does Gomm say about "good men"?
(a) That they shouldn't be exploited.
(b) That he has met only one "good man" during the course of his life.
(c) That they should be exploited for their niavite.
(d) That they are exploited just as easily as nasty men.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Treves is weeping at the Bishop's feet, what announcement does Merrick make?
2. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
3. What are the pinheads doing when they arrive to Merrick's bedside before he dies?
4. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
5. To which of the following objects does Treves compare Merrick when speaking to the Bishop?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)