|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters is NOT involved in the conversation about Merrick's missing money?
(c) Lord John.
2. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
(a) His own sorrow.
(c) Broken promises.
(d) Other people's dreams.
3. What are the final words of the play?
(a) Go now, and be happy.
(b) It is done.
(c) In his name.
(d) Behold, the heavens await you.
4. In the dream, who does Gomm call a "good man"?
(a) The Bishop.
5. When Ross visits Merrick in the hospital, what does he ask him for?
(b) More money.
6. What are the pinheads doing when they arrive to Merrick's bedside before he dies?
7. About what does Ross taunt Merrick when he knows he has lost the debate with him?
(a) Being with a woman.
(b) Being terribly ugly.
(c) Being a charity case.
(d) Being unable to speak properly.
8. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to reach in his relationships with other people?
9. What does Ross think is unfair about the fact that Merrick is living with Treves?
(a) Treves is receiving all the benefits of Merrick's health.
(b) Merrick does not want to live with Treves, but return to life with Ross.
(c) Treves is using Merrick, and treating him like a dog.
(d) Treves is unaware of the hard work that comes with rearing Merrick.
10. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
(a) He will pay forty guineas.
(b) He will pay one hundred guineas.
(c) He will pay any sum demanded.
(d) He will pay nothing.
11. Who wrote the letter that was published after Merrick's death?
(a) The Pinheads.
(c) The Bishop.
12. Which of the following characters is knighted in the course of the play?
(d) The Bishop.
13. How does Treves argue that people feel when they see themselves reflected in Merrick?
(a) They feel amused.
(b) They feel flattered.
(c) They feel afraid.
(d) They feel confused.
14. In the dream, what does Gomm say about "good men"?
(a) That he has met only one "good man" during the course of his life.
(b) That they shouldn't be exploited.
(c) That they are exploited just as easily as nasty men.
(d) That they should be exploited for their niavite.
15. How does Merrick respond to Ross' proposal?
(a) He says that he never wants to see Ross again.
(b) He says that he hopes Ross dies.
(c) He says that he will ask Treves for his opinion on the matter.
(d) He says that he never wants to be on display again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Merrick doing with the Bishop while Treves and Gomm are having a private discussion?
2. What does Treves argue is the attractive element of Merrick's character?
3. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
4. After his argument with Merrick, what does Ross confess to him?
5. What does Merrick say to Treves about Mrs. Kendal's nudity after she leaves the hospital?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)