|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Merrick say that he cannot forgive Ross?
(a) Because he robbed him.
(b) Because he was too kind to him.
(c) Because he beat him.
(d) Because he humiliated him.
2. What does Ross say he admires most about Merrick?
(a) Merrick's ability to make people feel good about themselves.
(b) Merrick's ability to forgive those around him.
(c) Merrick's ability to love through his hate.
(d) Merrick's ability to make money.
3. How does Merrick respond to Ross' proposal?
(a) He says that he will ask Treves for his opinion on the matter.
(b) He says that he hopes Ross dies.
(c) He says that he never wants to be on display again.
(d) He says that he never wants to see Ross again.
4. What does Merrick read in the bible that makes him excited to die?
(a) That God will make the crooked straight.
(b) That the poor shall become the rich.
(c) That the meek will inherit the earth.
(d) That the blind will be made to see.
5. In the letter, what does Gomm thank the newspaper for?
(a) Taking interest in such a lowly case as Merrick's.
(b) Giving a voice to all the disabled people in the world.
(c) Printing the letters that led to the financial donations.
(d) Supporting the hosptial, and therefore, London.
6. Which of the following characters is knighted in the course of the play?
(c) The Bishop.
7. While Treves is sleeping, what part about him does Merrick analyze?
(a) His medical journals.
(b) His body.
(c) His soul.
(d) His dreams.
8. What do the pinheads urge Merrick to enter?
(a) "The only heaven we know".
(b) "The eternity of man".
(c) "The love of the world".
(d) "The empire of darkness".
9. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
(a) Mrs. Kendal has admitted to being terrified of Merrick.
(b) He does not think Merrick could emotionally handel Mrs. Kendal's return.
(c) He is in love with Mrs. Kendal and wants her for himself.
(d) He does not want Mrs. Kendal to see Merrick die.
10. During Ross' visit, what does Merrick compare himself to?
(a) A dog.
(b) A worm.
(c) A pig.
(d) A whore.
11. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
12. In the dream, who does Merrick claim will be the "perfect subject" for his study?
(c) The Bishop.
13. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
(a) Other people's dreams.
(b) His own sorrow.
(c) Broken promises.
14. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
(b) Skin graphs.
(c) Brain surgery.
(d) Organ donation.
15. When Merrick was a child, from where did Ross rescue him?
(a) From an orphanage.
(b) From a burning house.
(c) From an abusive mother.
(d) From a wild river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merrick attempt to speak with about his readings in the bible?
2. Which character arrives, saying there is news about Lord John in the newspapers?
3. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
4. During his argument with Merrick, what does Treves repeatedly ask him?
5. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to reach in his relationships with other people?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)