|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the pinheads describe the world that has been revealed to them since leaving the freak show?
(a) As indecent.
(b) As full of sorrow.
(c) As glorious.
(d) As terrifying.
2. What advice does the Bishop give to Merrick in his hopes of finding a woman?
(a) He tells Merrick to forget about such foolish ideas.
(b) He tells Merrick that any woman would be lucky to have him.
(c) He tells Merrick that he will help any way he can.
(d) He tells Merrick that women will be afraid of him.
3. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
(a) He is in love with Mrs. Kendal and wants her for himself.
(b) Mrs. Kendal has admitted to being terrified of Merrick.
(c) He does not think Merrick could emotionally handel Mrs. Kendal's return.
(d) He does not want Mrs. Kendal to see Merrick die.
4. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
(a) His body might die.
(b) His heart might give out.
(c) His soul might pass over.
(d) His attitude might change.
5. When Treves brushes past Mrs. Kendal in the hospital, which of the following finishes his sentence, "This is a hospital, not a ___________"?
(c) Opera hall.
(d) Tea party.
6. What does Treves believe has happened to Merrick as he has become more physically deformed?
(a) He has lost touch of what it means to be human.
(b) He has lost touch of his emotions.
(c) He has become more emotionally deformed.
(d) He has become more emotionally normal.
7. What does Treves argue is the attractive element of Merrick's character?
(a) That he is unafraid of death.
(b) That he is so grateful to be treated like a human being.
(c) That he able to see the good in all of humanity.
(d) That he is so intelligent and unafraid to voice his opinions.
8. What is the general focus of the letter published after Merrick's death?
(a) Merrick's medical files.
(b) Words of remembrance.
(d) Funeral arrangements.
9. Why does Merrick say that he cannot forgive Ross?
(a) Because he robbed him.
(b) Because he was too kind to him.
(c) Because he beat him.
(d) Because he humiliated him.
10. What part of Merrick might collapse if he laid down to sleep at night?
(a) His lungs.
(b) His spine.
(c) His ribcage.
(d) His windpipe.
11. In the dream, who does Merrick claim will be the "perfect subject" for his study?
(c) The Bishop.
12. Where does Merrick rest his head while he is sleeping?
(a) On a specially built prop.
(b) On his arms.
(c) On his knees.
(d) On his shoulder.
13. What does Merrick read in the bible that makes him excited to die?
(a) That the meek will inherit the earth.
(b) That the blind will be made to see.
(c) That the poor shall become the rich.
(d) That God will make the crooked straight.
14. What do the pinheads urge Merrick to enter?
(a) "The only heaven we know".
(b) "The eternity of man".
(c) "The love of the world".
(d) "The empire of darkness".
15. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
(a) In his fellow man.
(b) In the church.
(c) In the bible.
(d) In God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word finished Treves' statement about the human condition, " To become more ________ is to die"?
2. To which part of the hospital will the rest of Merrick's funds be absorbed?
3. Which meal does the attendant bring to Merrick directly after he finishes his model church?
4. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
5. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)