|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Treves believe has happened to Merrick as he has become more physically deformed?
(a) He has lost touch of his emotions.
(b) He has lost touch of what it means to be human.
(c) He has become more emotionally normal.
(d) He has become more emotionally deformed.
2. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
3. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
(a) Organ donation.
(b) Skin graphs.
(c) Brain surgery.
4. How does Treves react when he sees Mrs. Kendal nude in Merrick's room?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is amused.
(c) He is outraged.
(d) He is apologetic.
5. How does Merrick respond to Ross' proposal?
(a) He says that he will ask Treves for his opinion on the matter.
(b) He says that he never wants to be on display again.
(c) He says that he never wants to see Ross again.
(d) He says that he hopes Ross dies.
6. Which of the following characters is knighted in the course of the play?
(b) The Bishop.
7. How does Treves argue that people feel when they see themselves reflected in Merrick?
(a) They feel afraid.
(b) They feel confused.
(c) They feel flattered.
(d) They feel amused.
8. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
(a) He is in love with Mrs. Kendal and wants her for himself.
(b) He does not think Merrick could emotionally handel Mrs. Kendal's return.
(c) Mrs. Kendal has admitted to being terrified of Merrick.
(d) He does not want Mrs. Kendal to see Merrick die.
9. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
(a) Other people's dreams.
(b) Broken promises.
(d) His own sorrow.
10. About what does Ross taunt Merrick when he knows he has lost the debate with him?
(a) Being a charity case.
(b) Being terribly ugly.
(c) Being unable to speak properly.
(d) Being with a woman.
11. What does Treves come running back into the room to say about Merrick?
(a) That Merrick was a hero.
(b) He never says anything.
(c) That Merrick was a man.
(d) That Merrick was a monster.
12. What does Ross think is unfair about the fact that Merrick is living with Treves?
(a) Merrick does not want to live with Treves, but return to life with Ross.
(b) Treves is unaware of the hard work that comes with rearing Merrick.
(c) Treves is receiving all the benefits of Merrick's health.
(d) Treves is using Merrick, and treating him like a dog.
13. Why does Merrick say that he cannot forgive Ross?
(a) Because he robbed him.
(b) Because he was too kind to him.
(c) Because he humiliated him.
(d) Because he beat him.
14. How does Treves feel about his profession making people well?
(a) He feels afraid.
(b) He feels proud.
(c) He feels entitled.
(d) He feels frustrated.
15. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
(a) Build a house.
(b) Purchase new medical equiptment.
(c) Travel around the world.
(d) Invest in the stocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which meal does the attendant bring to Merrick directly after he finishes his model church?
2. When Treves' wakes up from his dream, during which time Merrick was analyzing him, what does Merrick do to busy himself?
3. How is the nursing attendant related to the event happening outside of Merrick's window?
4. In the dream, what does Gomm call Treves in response to Merrick's payment offer?
5. What part of Merrick might collapse if he laid down to sleep at night?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)