|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What maddens Merrick about some married men?
(a) The fact that some men also take mistresses.
(b) The fact that some are alcoholics.
(c) The fact that some are stingy with their money.
(d) The fact that some beat their wives.
2. What is Merrick doing with the Bishop while Treves and Gomm are having a private discussion?
(a) Drinking tea.
(d) Working on the model.
3. In the dream, who does Merrick claim will be the "perfect subject" for his study?
(b) The Bishop.
4. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
(a) His body might die.
(b) His soul might pass over.
(c) His heart might give out.
(d) His attitude might change.
5. What did Treves' patient, who had a near death experience, tell her "heaven" was like?
(a) Sitting amongst the angels.
(b) Walking over fiery coals.
(c) Being trapped underwater.
(d) Walking through fog.
6. What is Treves reading when Merrick comes to speak with him about death?
(a) Medical Journals.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) His diary.
(d) A letter from Mrs. Kendal.
7. How many naked women has Merrick seen in his life?
8. What advice does the Bishop give to Merrick in his hopes of finding a woman?
(a) He tells Merrick that he will help any way he can.
(b) He tells Merrick that any woman would be lucky to have him.
(c) He tells Merrick that women will be afraid of him.
(d) He tells Merrick to forget about such foolish ideas.
9. Why does Merrick say that he cannot forgive Ross?
(a) Because he was too kind to him.
(b) Because he robbed him.
(c) Because he beat him.
(d) Because he humiliated him.
10. While Merrick is in his meeting with the Bishop, what are Gomm and Treves discussing in the next room?
(a) Merrick's personal hygiene.
(b) Merrick's love life.
(c) Merrick's spirituality.
(d) Merrick's death.
11. What does Treves come running back into the room to say about Merrick?
(a) That Merrick was a monster.
(b) He never says anything.
(c) That Merrick was a hero.
(d) That Merrick was a man.
12. What is Merrick most worried about now that he knows Lord John has stolen his money?
(a) That Mrs. Kendal views him as a failure.
(b) That Treves is disappointed in him.
(c) That he will no longer be able to stay in the hospital.
(d) That his high society friends will no longer love him.
13. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the doctor?
(a) Mrs. Kendal.
14. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
(a) A nurse.
(c) The Bishop.
15. What are the final words of the play?
(a) Go now, and be happy.
(b) It is done.
(c) In his name.
(d) Behold, the heavens await you.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his analysis, what part of Treves' body does Merrick pay special attention to?
2. When visiting Merrick in the hospital, what does Ross propose?
3. What do the pinheads urge Merrick to enter?
4. When Merrick was a child, from where did Ross rescue him?
5. How does Merrick react to Mrs. Kendal's list of women who may be interested in seeing him?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)