|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Treves argue that people feel when they see themselves reflected in Merrick?
(a) They feel flattered.
(b) They feel afraid.
(c) They feel amused.
(d) They feel confused.
2. How does Mrs. Kendal respond when Merrick asks if she will remain his friend even after his money has been stolen?
(a) She says that she can no longer be friends with him.
(b) She gives him no direct answer.
(c) She says that money is no issue to their friendship.
(d) She says that she will have to think about it.
3. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
(a) He will pay forty guineas.
(b) He will pay nothing.
(c) He will pay one hundred guineas.
(d) He will pay any sum demanded.
4. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to reach in his relationships with other people?
5. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
(a) In the bible.
(b) In his fellow man.
(c) In the church.
(d) In God.
6. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
(a) Other people's dreams.
(b) Broken promises.
(c) His own sorrow.
7. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
(a) Mrs. Kendal has admitted to being terrified of Merrick.
(b) He is in love with Mrs. Kendal and wants her for himself.
(c) He does not think Merrick could emotionally handel Mrs. Kendal's return.
(d) He does not want Mrs. Kendal to see Merrick die.
8. What part of Merrick might collapse if he laid down to sleep at night?
(a) His ribcage.
(b) His spine.
(c) His windpipe.
(d) His lungs.
9. What maddens Merrick about some married men?
(a) The fact that some are stingy with their money.
(b) The fact that some men also take mistresses.
(c) The fact that some beat their wives.
(d) The fact that some are alcoholics.
10. What emotion does Merrick attribute to Treves' left hand and the way it covers his body?
11. In the dream, what does Gomm say about "good men"?
(a) That they shouldn't be exploited.
(b) That he has met only one "good man" during the course of his life.
(c) That they should be exploited for their niavite.
(d) That they are exploited just as easily as nasty men.
12. Why does Merrick say that he cannot forgive Ross?
(a) Because he beat him.
(b) Because he robbed him.
(c) Because he humiliated him.
(d) Because he was too kind to him.
13. What is Treves reading when Merrick comes to speak with him about death?
(a) Medical Journals.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) His diary.
(d) A letter from Mrs. Kendal.
14. What are the pinheads doing when they arrive to Merrick's bedside before he dies?
15. To whom does Lord John return, begging for more money?
(b) The Bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", what does Merrick say is his reasoning for wanting to visit with him?
2. While Treves is sleeping, what part about him does Merrick analyze?
3. In what newspaper is the letter written after Merrick's death is published?
4. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the doctor?
5. Which word is the nursing attendant struggling to remember when he leaves Merrick's room abruptly?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)