|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
(a) He is in love with Mrs. Kendal and wants her for himself.
(b) He does not want Mrs. Kendal to see Merrick die.
(c) He does not think Merrick could emotionally handel Mrs. Kendal's return.
(d) Mrs. Kendal has admitted to being terrified of Merrick.
2. What does Merrick say to Treves about Mrs. Kendal's nudity after she leaves the hospital?
(a) He says a woman's body is like a flower.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He says it was the most beautiful thing he has ever seen.
(d) He says it was not what he expected.
3. In the letter, what does Gomm thank the newspaper for?
(a) Giving a voice to all the disabled people in the world.
(b) Supporting the hosptial, and therefore, London.
(c) Printing the letters that led to the financial donations.
(d) Taking interest in such a lowly case as Merrick's.
4. How does Merrick respond to Ross' proposal?
(a) He says that he hopes Ross dies.
(b) He says that he never wants to be on display again.
(c) He says that he will ask Treves for his opinion on the matter.
(d) He says that he never wants to see Ross again.
5. During his analysis, which of the following words does Merrick use to describe Treves' condition?
6. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
(b) Broken promises.
(c) His own sorrow.
(d) Other people's dreams.
7. How is the nursing attendant related to the event happening outside of Merrick's window?
(a) It is his father.
(b) It is his cousin.
(c) It is a friend's sister.
(d) It is his brother.
8. Which event passes in front of Merrick's window as he is visiting with the nursing attendant?
(a) A baptism.
(b) A wedding.
(c) A graduation.
(d) A funeral.
9. Who wrote the letter that was published after Merrick's death?
(b) The Pinheads.
(d) The Bishop.
10. What does Ross say he admires most about Merrick?
(a) Merrick's ability to make money.
(b) Merrick's ability to make people feel good about themselves.
(c) Merrick's ability to forgive those around him.
(d) Merrick's ability to love through his hate.
11. How does Treves feel about Merrick after his death?
(a) He says he is proud to have known him.
(b) He says he no longer understands him.
(c) He says he feels guilty about the way he treated him.
(d) He says he wished he could have done more for him.
12. During Ross' visit, what does Merrick compare himself to?
(a) A pig.
(b) A dog.
(c) A worm.
(d) A whore.
13. What is Merrick most worried about now that he knows Lord John has stolen his money?
(a) That his high society friends will no longer love him.
(b) That Mrs. Kendal views him as a failure.
(c) That Treves is disappointed in him.
(d) That he will no longer be able to stay in the hospital.
14. What does Merrick read in the bible that makes him excited to die?
(a) That God will make the crooked straight.
(b) That the blind will be made to see.
(c) That the poor shall become the rich.
(d) That the meek will inherit the earth.
15. Which of the following elements does Merrick note in Treves' character while he is examining him?
Short Answer Questions
1. To which part of the hospital will the rest of Merrick's funds be absorbed?
2. What emotion does Merrick attribute to Treves' left hand and the way it covers his body?
3. How does Treves argue that people feel when they see themselves reflected in Merrick?
4. In the dream, who does Merrick claim will be the "perfect subject" for his study?
5. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)