|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Treves' wakes up from his dream, during which time Merrick was analyzing him, what does Merrick do to busy himself?
(a) He composes a letter.
(b) He reads a book.
(c) He folds some laundry.
(d) He works on his model.
2. What did Treves' patient, who had a near death experience, tell her "heaven" was like?
(a) Sitting amongst the angels.
(b) Being trapped underwater.
(c) Walking over fiery coals.
(d) Walking through fog.
3. How does Merrick react to Mrs. Kendal's list of women who may be interested in seeing him?
(a) He is embarrassed at the suggestion.
(b) He decides to meet them all, one by one.
(c) He rejects all of them.
(d) He divides the list into two groups - the ones he would like to see and the ones he is not interested in.
4. After his argument with Merrick, what does Ross confess to him?
(a) That he, himself, is afraid.
(b) That he, himself, is lost.
(c) That he, himself, is broke.
(d) That he, himself, is dying.
5. What part of Merrick might collapse if he laid down to sleep at night?
(a) His spine.
(b) His windpipe.
(c) His ribcage.
(d) His lungs.
6. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
(a) He does not want Mrs. Kendal to see Merrick die.
(b) Mrs. Kendal has admitted to being terrified of Merrick.
(c) He is in love with Mrs. Kendal and wants her for himself.
(d) He does not think Merrick could emotionally handel Mrs. Kendal's return.
7. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
8. What maddens Merrick about some married men?
(a) The fact that some are alcoholics.
(b) The fact that some are stingy with their money.
(c) The fact that some men also take mistresses.
(d) The fact that some beat their wives.
9. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
(a) He will pay any sum demanded.
(b) He will pay one hundred guineas.
(c) He will pay nothing.
(d) He will pay forty guineas.
10. What advice does the Bishop give to Merrick in his hopes of finding a woman?
(a) He tells Merrick that he will help any way he can.
(b) He tells Merrick that women will be afraid of him.
(c) He tells Merrick that any woman would be lucky to have him.
(d) He tells Merrick to forget about such foolish ideas.
11. In the dream, who does Merrick claim will be the "perfect subject" for his study?
(a) The Bishop.
12. In the dream, what does Gomm call Treves in response to Merrick's payment offer?
(a) He cals Treves a black hole.
(b) He calls Treves a valuable investment.
(c) He calls Treves a one-man moral swamp.
(d) He calls Treves a man of honor.
13. While Treves is sleeping, what part about him does Merrick analyze?
(a) His dreams.
(b) His medical journals.
(c) His soul.
(d) His body.
14. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
15. How does Treves argue that people feel when they see themselves reflected in Merrick?
(a) They feel flattered.
(b) They feel afraid.
(c) They feel confused.
(d) They feel amused.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", what does Merrick say is his reasoning for wanting to visit with him?
2. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the manager of his show?
3. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
4. In what newspaper is the letter written after Merrick's death is published?
5. As Treves is weeping at the Bishop's feet, what announcement does Merrick make?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)