|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the final words of the play?
(a) In his name.
(b) Go now, and be happy.
(c) Behold, the heavens await you.
(d) It is done.
2. Which part of Merrick's name is printed incorrectly in the letter?
(a) His title.
(b) His first name.
(c) His last name.
(d) His nickname.
3. Who wrote the letter that was published after Merrick's death?
(b) The Bishop.
(d) The Pinheads.
4. Who reads Treves the letter written after Merrick's death?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) Mrs. Sandwich.
(c) Mrs. Kendal.
5. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the doctor?
(b) Mrs. Kendal.
6. What is the general focus of the letter published after Merrick's death?
(a) Words of remembrance.
(c) Merrick's medical files.
(d) Funeral arrangements.
7. How does Merrick respond to Ross' proposal?
(a) He says that he never wants to be on display again.
(b) He says that he hopes Ross dies.
(c) He says that he never wants to see Ross again.
(d) He says that he will ask Treves for his opinion on the matter.
8. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the manager of his show?
(a) Mrs. Kendal.
(d) His mother.
9. When Ross visits Merrick in the hospital, what does he ask him for?
(b) More money.
10. What do the pinheads urge Merrick to enter?
(a) "The love of the world".
(b) "The eternity of man".
(c) "The empire of darkness".
(d) "The only heaven we know".
11. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
12. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to reach in his relationships with other people?
13. When Merrick was a child, from where did Ross rescue him?
(a) From a burning house.
(b) From an abusive mother.
(c) From an orphanage.
(d) From a wild river.
14. Which word finished Treves' statement about the human condition, " To become more ________ is to die"?
15. How does Treves feel about Merrick after his death?
(a) He says he feels guilty about the way he treated him.
(b) He says he no longer understands him.
(c) He says he wished he could have done more for him.
(d) He says he is proud to have known him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose wishes does Gomm hope to fulfill in his use of Merrick's money?
2. During Ross' visit, what does Merrick compare himself to?
3. Which event passes in front of Merrick's window as he is visiting with the nursing attendant?
4. How does Merrick react to Mrs. Kendal's list of women who may be interested in seeing him?
5. What maddens Merrick about some married men?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)