|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Treves brushes past Mrs. Kendal in the hospital, which of the following finishes his sentence, "This is a hospital, not a ___________"?
(c) Tea party.
(d) Opera hall.
2. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
(a) He will pay any sum demanded.
(b) He will pay nothing.
(c) He will pay forty guineas.
(d) He will pay one hundred guineas.
3. In the letter, what does Gomm thank the newspaper for?
(a) Printing the letters that led to the financial donations.
(b) Taking interest in such a lowly case as Merrick's.
(c) Giving a voice to all the disabled people in the world.
(d) Supporting the hosptial, and therefore, London.
4. What is Treves reading when Merrick comes to speak with him about death?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) His diary.
(c) A letter from Mrs. Kendal.
(d) Medical Journals.
5. When Ross visits Merrick in the hospital, what does he ask him for?
(c) More money.
6. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", what does Merrick say is his reasoning for wanting to visit with him?
(a) To save him.
(b) To kill him.
(c) To examine him.
(d) To befriend him.
7. How do the pinheads describe the world that has been revealed to them since leaving the freak show?
(a) As full of sorrow.
(b) As indecent.
(c) As glorious.
(d) As terrifying.
8. Whose wishes does Gomm hope to fulfill in his use of Merrick's money?
(a) The patients.
(b) The donors.
9. To which of the following objects does Treves compare Merrick when speaking to the Bishop?
(a) A sea of water.
(b) An ivy plant.
(c) A light bulb.
(d) A mirror.
10. How does the Bishop respond to Treves' meltdown as he begins weeping at the Bishop's feet?
(a) The Bishop attempts to console him.
(b) The Bishop is disgusted by Treves' tears.
(c) The Bishop ignores Treves completely.
(d) The Bishop is confused by Treves' outburst.
11. What is the general focus of the letter published after Merrick's death?
(a) Words of remembrance.
(c) Funeral arrangements.
(d) Merrick's medical files.
12. Who wrote the letter that was published after Merrick's death?
(b) The Bishop.
(d) The Pinheads.
13. In the dream, what does Gomm say about "good men"?
(a) That he has met only one "good man" during the course of his life.
(b) That they are exploited just as easily as nasty men.
(c) That they should be exploited for their niavite.
(d) That they shouldn't be exploited.
14. What warning does Gomm give to Treves after Lord John is removed from the hospital?
(a) That Merrick is losing his money, fast.
(b) To make better friends.
(c) That Lord John is a very dangerous man.
(d) Not to tell anyone about these dealings.
15. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
(a) His attitude might change.
(b) His heart might give out.
(c) His soul might pass over.
(d) His body might die.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick?
2. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
3. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the doctor?
4. What advice does the Bishop give to Merrick in his hopes of finding a woman?
5. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)