|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
2. Which character intercedes with Lord John, telling him to stop begging for money?
(b) The Bishop.
3. What does Treves come running back into the room to say about Merrick?
(a) He never says anything.
(b) That Merrick was a monster.
(c) That Merrick was a man.
(d) That Merrick was a hero.
4. What reason does Treves give the audience for not wanting Mrs. Kendal to return to the hospital?
(a) He does not think Merrick could emotionally handel Mrs. Kendal's return.
(b) He is in love with Mrs. Kendal and wants her for himself.
(c) He does not want Mrs. Kendal to see Merrick die.
(d) Mrs. Kendal has admitted to being terrified of Merrick.
5. What advice does the Bishop give to Merrick in his hopes of finding a woman?
(a) He tells Merrick that women will be afraid of him.
(b) He tells Merrick that he will help any way he can.
(c) He tells Merrick to forget about such foolish ideas.
(d) He tells Merrick that any woman would be lucky to have him.
6. To whom does Lord John return, begging for more money?
(d) The Bishop.
7. How do the pinheads describe the world that has been revealed to them since leaving the freak show?
(a) As full of sorrow.
(b) As glorious.
(c) As indecent.
(d) As terrifying.
8. Who wrote the letter that was published after Merrick's death?
(a) The Pinheads.
(c) The Bishop.
9. What does Merrick say to Treves about Mrs. Kendal's nudity after she leaves the hospital?
(a) He says a woman's body is like a flower.
(b) He says it was the most beautiful thing he has ever seen.
(c) He says nothing.
(d) He says it was not what he expected.
10. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
(a) Build a house.
(b) Purchase new medical equiptment.
(c) Invest in the stocks.
(d) Travel around the world.
11. What does Ross think is unfair about the fact that Merrick is living with Treves?
(a) Treves is unaware of the hard work that comes with rearing Merrick.
(b) Treves is receiving all the benefits of Merrick's health.
(c) Merrick does not want to live with Treves, but return to life with Ross.
(d) Treves is using Merrick, and treating him like a dog.
12. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
(a) A nurse.
(c) The Bishop.
13. Which of the following characters is knighted in the course of the play?
(d) The Bishop.
14. What does Merrick find most envious about married men?
(a) That they do not have to sleep alone.
(b) That they could have children.
(c) That they can look at a woman every day.
(d) That they will always have homecooked dinners.
15. What did Treves' patient, who had a near death experience, tell her "heaven" was like?
(a) Walking over fiery coals.
(b) Walking through fog.
(c) Being trapped underwater.
(d) Sitting amongst the angels.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Bishop respond to Treves' meltdown as he begins weeping at the Bishop's feet?
2. Which word finished Treves' statement about the human condition, " To become more ________ is to die"?
3. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick?
4. How does Treves feel about Merrick after his death?
5. In the dream, what does Gomm say about "good men"?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)