|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Bishop suggest Treves look for comfort in his confusions about his profession?
(a) In the bible.
(b) In his fellow man.
(c) In God.
(d) In the church.
2. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
3. Which character intercedes with Lord John, telling him to stop begging for money?
(d) The Bishop.
4. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
5. Which of the following elements does Merrick note in Treves' character while he is examining him?
6. How does Treves react when he sees Mrs. Kendal nude in Merrick's room?
(a) He is outraged.
(b) He is amused.
(c) He is apologetic.
(d) He is confused.
7. What is Treves reading when Merrick comes to speak with him about death?
(a) His diary.
(b) Medical Journals.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) A letter from Mrs. Kendal.
8. In the dream, who does Merrick claim will be the "perfect subject" for his study?
(d) The Bishop.
9. How do the pinheads describe the world that has been revealed to them since leaving the freak show?
(a) As glorious.
(b) As full of sorrow.
(c) As terrifying.
(d) As indecent.
10. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to reach in his relationships with other people?
11. What does Gomm call Lord John after witnessing him beg for money?
(a) A one-man cesspool.
(b) A one-man money pit.
(c) A one-man black hole.
(d) A one-man moral swamp.
12. When Treves brushes past Mrs. Kendal in the hospital, which of the following finishes his sentence, "This is a hospital, not a ___________"?
(a) Opera hall.
(c) Tea party.
13. Why does Merrick say that he cannot forgive Ross?
(a) Because he beat him.
(b) Because he robbed him.
(c) Because he humiliated him.
(d) Because he was too kind to him.
14. What warning does Gomm give to Treves after Lord John is removed from the hospital?
(a) Not to tell anyone about these dealings.
(b) That Merrick is losing his money, fast.
(c) To make better friends.
(d) That Lord John is a very dangerous man.
15. As Treves is weeping at the Bishop's feet, what announcement does Merrick make?
(a) He is ready to die.
(b) He would like to return to the freak show.
(c) He is leaving the hospital.
(d) He has finished his model.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general focus of the letter published after Merrick's death?
2. What does Merrick find most envious about married men?
3. During Ross' visit, what does Merrick compare himself to?
4. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
5. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", what does Merrick say is his reasoning for wanting to visit with him?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)