|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the dream, what does Gomm call Treves in response to Merrick's payment offer?
(a) He calls Treves a man of honor.
(b) He cals Treves a black hole.
(c) He calls Treves a valuable investment.
(d) He calls Treves a one-man moral swamp.
2. Who reads Treves the letter written after Merrick's death?
(a) Mrs. Sandwich.
(b) The Bishop.
(d) Mrs. Kendal.
3. What does Merrick say to Treves about Mrs. Kendal's nudity after she leaves the hospital?
(a) He says a woman's body is like a flower.
(b) He says it was the most beautiful thing he has ever seen.
(c) He says it was not what he expected.
(d) He says nothing.
4. When Treves' wakes up from his dream, during which time Merrick was analyzing him, what does Merrick do to busy himself?
(a) He folds some laundry.
(b) He reads a book.
(c) He works on his model.
(d) He composes a letter.
5. To which of the following objects does Treves compare Merrick when speaking to the Bishop?
(a) An ivy plant.
(b) A light bulb.
(c) A sea of water.
(d) A mirror.
6. What does Treves come running back into the room to say about Merrick?
(a) That Merrick was a monster.
(b) That Merrick was a man.
(c) That Merrick was a hero.
(d) He never says anything.
7. As Treves is weeping at the Bishop's feet, what announcement does Merrick make?
(a) He is leaving the hospital.
(b) He is ready to die.
(c) He has finished his model.
(d) He would like to return to the freak show.
8. What does Gomm claim Merrick has brought to the hospital along with esteem?
(a) Incurable diseases.
9. During his analysis, what part of Treves' body does Merrick pay special attention to?
(a) His feet.
(b) His teeth.
(c) His head.
(d) His hair.
10. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
(a) Purchase new medical equiptment.
(b) Travel around the world.
(c) Invest in the stocks.
(d) Build a house.
11. What advice does the Bishop give to Merrick in his hopes of finding a woman?
(a) He tells Merrick that women will be afraid of him.
(b) He tells Merrick that any woman would be lucky to have him.
(c) He tells Merrick to forget about such foolish ideas.
(d) He tells Merrick that he will help any way he can.
12. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
(c) The Bishop.
(d) A nurse.
13. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
14. In the dream, who does Merrick claim will be the "perfect subject" for his study?
(a) The Bishop.
15. What are the final words of the play?
(a) Go now, and be happy.
(b) In his name.
(c) It is done.
(d) Behold, the heavens await you.
Short Answer Questions
1. When visiting Merrick in the hospital, what does Ross propose?
2. Which meal does the attendant bring to Merrick directly after he finishes his model church?
3. What does Merrick insinuate is collecting on his neck, making it unbearable for him to sleep normally?
4. How do the pinheads describe the world that has been revealed to them since leaving the freak show?
5. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", who does he dream is the manager of his show?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)