|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his analysis, which of the following words does Merrick use to describe Treves' condition?
2. What maddens Merrick about some married men?
(a) The fact that some men also take mistresses.
(b) The fact that some beat their wives.
(c) The fact that some are stingy with their money.
(d) The fact that some are alcoholics.
3. How does Treves feel about his profession making people well?
(a) He feels proud.
(b) He feels afraid.
(c) He feels frustrated.
(d) He feels entitled.
4. Who does Merrick attempt to speak with about his readings in the bible?
(c) Mrs. Kendal.
5. Where does Merrick rest his head while he is sleeping?
(a) On his knees.
(b) On a specially built prop.
(c) On his arms.
(d) On his shoulder.
6. When Ross visits Merrick in the hospital, what does he ask him for?
(d) More money.
7. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
(a) Build a house.
(b) Invest in the stocks.
(c) Purchase new medical equiptment.
(d) Travel around the world.
8. Which event passes in front of Merrick's window as he is visiting with the nursing attendant?
(a) A baptism.
(b) A graduation.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A funeral.
9. What warning does Gomm give to Treves after Lord John is removed from the hospital?
(a) Not to tell anyone about these dealings.
(b) That Merrick is losing his money, fast.
(c) That Lord John is a very dangerous man.
(d) To make better friends.
10. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
(c) The Bishop.
(d) A nurse.
11. What is the general focus of the letter published after Merrick's death?
(a) Merrick's medical files.
(b) Words of remembrance.
(c) Funeral arrangements.
12. During his argument with Treves, what word does Merrick constantly ask the definition of?
13. How does Mrs. Kendal respond when Merrick asks if she will remain his friend even after his money has been stolen?
(a) She gives him no direct answer.
(b) She says that she will have to think about it.
(c) She says that money is no issue to their friendship.
(d) She says that she can no longer be friends with him.
14. Which word is the nursing attendant struggling to remember when he leaves Merrick's room abruptly?
15. What does Treves bitterly state might happen to Merrick while he is in his meeting with the Bishop?
(a) His attitude might change.
(b) His body might die.
(c) His soul might pass over.
(d) His heart might give out.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to feel?
2. How does the Bishop feel about his prayer sessions with Merrick?
3. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
4. To whom does Lord John return, begging for more money?
5. In what newspaper is the letter written after Merrick's death is published?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)