|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Treves' wakes up from his dream, during which time Merrick was analyzing him, what does Merrick do to busy himself?
(a) He folds some laundry.
(b) He works on his model.
(c) He reads a book.
(d) He composes a letter.
2. When Ross visits Merrick in the hospital, what does he ask him for?
(d) More money.
3. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
(b) A nurse.
(c) The Bishop.
4. As Treves is weeping at the Bishop's feet, what announcement does Merrick make?
(a) He is ready to die.
(b) He would like to return to the freak show.
(c) He has finished his model.
(d) He is leaving the hospital.
5. What does Gomm call Lord John after witnessing him beg for money?
(a) A one-man moral swamp.
(b) A one-man black hole.
(c) A one-man cesspool.
(d) A one-man money pit.
6. Whose wishes does Gomm hope to fulfill in his use of Merrick's money?
(c) The patients.
(d) The donors.
7. What are the final words of the play?
(a) Behold, the heavens await you.
(b) It is done.
(c) Go now, and be happy.
(d) In his name.
8. Who does Merrick attempt to speak with about his readings in the bible?
(a) Mrs. Kendal.
9. How does Treves feel about his profession making people well?
(a) He feels entitled.
(b) He feels afraid.
(c) He feels frustrated.
(d) He feels proud.
10. How does Treves feel about Merrick after his death?
(a) He says he is proud to have known him.
(b) He says he no longer understands him.
(c) He says he wished he could have done more for him.
(d) He says he feels guilty about the way he treated him.
11. During his analysis of Treves, what does Merrick decide Treves is completely unable to reach in his relationships with other people?
12. In the dream, who does Merrick claim will be the "perfect subject" for his study?
(b) The Bishop.
13. About what does Ross taunt Merrick when he knows he has lost the debate with him?
(a) Being terribly ugly.
(b) Being with a woman.
(c) Being unable to speak properly.
(d) Being a charity case.
14. Which of the following characters is NOT involved in the conversation about Merrick's missing money?
(b) Lord John.
15. How does Mrs. Kendal respond when Merrick asks if she will remain his friend even after his money has been stolen?
(a) She says that she will have to think about it.
(b) She gives him no direct answer.
(c) She says that she can no longer be friends with him.
(d) She says that money is no issue to their friendship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Gomm give to Treves after Lord John is removed from the hospital?
2. During his analysis, which of the following words does Merrick use to describe Treves' condition?
3. In what newspaper is the letter written after Merrick's death is published?
4. How many naked women has Merrick seen in his life?
5. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)