|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ross say he admires most about Merrick?
(a) Merrick's ability to forgive those around him.
(b) Merrick's ability to make money.
(c) Merrick's ability to love through his hate.
(d) Merrick's ability to make people feel good about themselves.
2. In what newspaper is the letter written after Merrick's death is published?
(a) The London Lantern.
(b) The English Express.
(c) The London Times.
(d) The Daily Mail.
3. During Ross' visit, what does Merrick compare himself to?
(a) A dog.
(b) A pig.
(c) A whore.
(d) A worm.
4. In the letter, what does Gomm thank the newspaper for?
(a) Giving a voice to all the disabled people in the world.
(b) Taking interest in such a lowly case as Merrick's.
(c) Supporting the hosptial, and therefore, London.
(d) Printing the letters that led to the financial donations.
5. Which of the following characters is NOT involved in the conversation about Merrick's missing money?
(a) Lord John.
6. To whom does Lord John return, begging for more money?
(d) The Bishop.
7. In the dream, what does Gomm call Treves in response to Merrick's payment offer?
(a) He calls Treves a man of honor.
(b) He calls Treves a one-man moral swamp.
(c) He cals Treves a black hole.
(d) He calls Treves a valuable investment.
8. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Treves uses to describe Merrick in the letter?
9. What are the final words of the play?
(a) Go now, and be happy.
(b) In his name.
(c) Behold, the heavens await you.
(d) It is done.
10. How does Merrick respond to Ross' proposal?
(a) He says that he hopes Ross dies.
(b) He says that he never wants to be on display again.
(c) He says that he will ask Treves for his opinion on the matter.
(d) He says that he never wants to see Ross again.
11. To which of the following objects does Treves compare Merrick when speaking to the Bishop?
(a) A light bulb.
(b) A sea of water.
(c) A mirror.
(d) An ivy plant.
12. Who wrote the letter that was published after Merrick's death?
(c) The Pinheads.
(d) The Bishop.
13. How does Treves argue that people feel when they see themselves reflected in Merrick?
(a) They feel flattered.
(b) They feel afraid.
(c) They feel amused.
(d) They feel confused.
14. When Ross visits Merrick in the hospital, what does he ask him for?
(c) More money.
15. Where does Merrick rest his head while he is sleeping?
(a) On his arms.
(b) On his knees.
(c) On a specially built prop.
(d) On his shoulder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new medical advance is Treves obsessed with gaining an edge on?
2. When Treves brushes past Mrs. Kendal in the hospital, which of the following finishes his sentence, "This is a hospital, not a ___________"?
3. About what does Ross taunt Merrick when he knows he has lost the debate with him?
4. While Merrick is in his meeting with the Bishop, what are Gomm and Treves discussing in the next room?
5. Why does Merrick say that he cannot forgive Ross?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)