|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merrick read in the bible that makes him excited to die?
(a) That the blind will be made to see.
(b) That God will make the crooked straight.
(c) That the poor shall become the rich.
(d) That the meek will inherit the earth.
2. What did Treves' patient, who had a near death experience, tell her "heaven" was like?
(a) Walking through fog.
(b) Sitting amongst the angels.
(c) Walking over fiery coals.
(d) Being trapped underwater.
3. What did Lord John steal Merrick's money to do?
(a) Travel around the world.
(b) Purchase new medical equiptment.
(c) Build a house.
(d) Invest in the stocks.
4. Who discovers that Merrick has died?
(a) A nurse.
(b) The Bishop.
5. What does Ross say he admires most about Merrick?
(a) Merrick's ability to make money.
(b) Merrick's ability to make people feel good about themselves.
(c) Merrick's ability to forgive those around him.
(d) Merrick's ability to love through his hate.
6. What emotion does Merrick attribute to Treves' left hand and the way it covers his body?
7. In the dream, what does Gomm call Treves in response to Merrick's payment offer?
(a) He calls Treves a valuable investment.
(b) He calls Treves a one-man moral swamp.
(c) He cals Treves a black hole.
(d) He calls Treves a man of honor.
8. How do the pinheads describe the world that has been revealed to them since leaving the freak show?
(a) As full of sorrow.
(b) As terrifying.
(c) As indecent.
(d) As glorious.
9. How does the Bishop respond to Treves' meltdown as he begins weeping at the Bishop's feet?
(a) The Bishop is disgusted by Treves' tears.
(b) The Bishop attempts to console him.
(c) The Bishop is confused by Treves' outburst.
(d) The Bishop ignores Treves completely.
10. In Treves' dream where he is a "freak", what does Merrick say is his reasoning for wanting to visit with him?
(a) To examine him.
(b) To save him.
(c) To befriend him.
(d) To kill him.
11. In what newspaper is the letter written after Merrick's death is published?
(a) The Daily Mail.
(b) The English Express.
(c) The London Times.
(d) The London Lantern.
12. To whom does Lord John return, begging for more money?
(d) The Bishop.
13. After his argument with Merrick, what does Ross confess to him?
(a) That he, himself, is afraid.
(b) That he, himself, is lost.
(c) That he, himself, is dying.
(d) That he, himself, is broke.
14. Who reads Treves the letter written after Merrick's death?
(b) Mrs. Sandwich.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) Mrs. Kendal.
15. Which event passes in front of Merrick's window as he is visiting with the nursing attendant?
(a) A graduation.
(b) A wedding.
(c) A baptism.
(d) A funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which part of the hospital will the rest of Merrick's funds be absorbed?
2. Which of the following characters is NOT involved in the conversation about Merrick's missing money?
3. As Treves is weeping at the Bishop's feet, what announcement does Merrick make?
4. Whose wishes does Gomm hope to fulfill in his use of Merrick's money?
5. What do the pinheads encourage Merrick to do, resulting in his death?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)