|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
2. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
(a) His wealth.
(b) His rugby skills.
(c) His patience.
(d) His academic knowledge.
3. Which of the following animals knocked Merrick's mother over while she was visiting a circus?
(a) A lion.
(b) A zebra.
(c) An elephant.
(d) A camel.
4. Which of the following members of royalty makes an appearance in Merrick's hospital room?
(a) The Princess of Wales.
(b) The Queen Mother.
(c) The King of Scotland.
(d) The Prince of Wales.
5. Which word does Mrs. Kendal use to describe her life on display?
(a) An illusion.
(b) A mask.
(c) A dance.
(d) A mosaic.
6. What does the caller state is the only thing more painful to The Elephant Man than his physical deformities?
(a) His irrational fears.
(b) His spiritual anguish.
(c) His foolish mind.
(d) His broken heart.
7. What does Treves say he would like to do with Merrick's life?
(a) Make him a lot of money.
(b) Make him famous.
(c) Make him the strongest man in the world.
(d) Make it as normal as possible.
8. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
(a) Mrs. Salad.
(b) Mrs. Crumb.
(c) Mrs. Sandwich.
(d) Mrs. Potato.
9. Which of the following words does Mrs. Kendal use to describe Merrick's insights into life and love?
10. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
11. At which theatrical theater does the Prince of Wales own his own boxed seat?
(a) The ballet.
(b) The symphony.
(c) The opera.
(d) The stage.
12. How does the nurse react to Merrick the first time she sees him?
(a) She screams and runs out of the room.
(b) She sits and stares at him silently.
(c) She shakes his hand and says that she is happy to meet him.
(d) She gives him a hug.
13. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
(a) Because she is blind.
(b) Because she is equally as lonely.
(c) Because she has expressed a desire to meet Merrick for herself.
(d) Because she knows how to hide her true emotions.
14. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
(a) It is worsening.
(b) It is slowly improving.
(c) It is staying about the same.
(d) Treves has stopped monitoring Merrick's health.
15. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
(a) He begins to laugh.
(b) He begins to shout.
(c) He begins to sob.
(d) He begins to smile.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Treves and Merrick are talking, why does the porter enter Merrick's room?
2. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
3. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
4. What does Treves tell Merrick is the one thing that will make him happy during his stay in the hospital?
5. Which of the following best describes Treves' voice as he describes the Elephant Man to the audience during a lecture?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)