|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
(a) Because she is blind.
(b) Because she has expressed a desire to meet Merrick for herself.
(c) Because she is equally as lonely.
(d) Because she knows how to hide her true emotions.
2. Which of the following best describes Treves' first conversation with Mrs. Kendal?
3. What does Ross do with all of Merrick's savings?
(a) He splits it evenly with Merrick, fifty-fifty.
(b) He gives it all back to Merrick.
(c) He gives Merrick a small sum and steals the rest.
(d) He steals all of it, leaving Merrick with nothing.
4. After the police beating, what does Ross tell Merrick that he "stinks of"?
5. How many policemen arrive in the streets and begin beating Ross and Merrick?
6. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
7. Which of the following characters does NOT make a comparison to Merrick?
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The Conductor.
8. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
9. Which of the following characters believes that all humans are simply copies God has created?
(b) Mrs. Kendal.
10. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
(a) From his business card.
(b) They look him up in the directory.
(c) One of the police officers knows Treves' father.
(d) John Merrick tells them his phone number.
11. What is the name of Treves' supervisor at the hospital?
12. Which of the following Shakespearean plays is Mrs. Kendal performing in during the time she first meets Merrick?
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) Much Ado About Nothing.
(d) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
13. At which theatrical theater does the Prince of Wales own his own boxed seat?
(a) The ballet.
(b) The opera.
(c) The symphony.
(d) The stage.
14. During the interview with Treves, how did the nurse present herself?
(a) As warm and affectionate.
(b) As shy and frightened.
(c) As competent and experienced.
(d) As completely inexperienced.
15. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
(a) She is an actress.
(b) She is a seamstress.
(c) She is a nurse.
(d) She is a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
2. What does Treves use to show the audience the Elephant Man's deformities?
3. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe the perspective from the Prince of Wales' private theater seats?
4. With whom does Treves think it is important for Merrick to form relationships?
5. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)