|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word does Mrs. Kendal use to describe her life on display?
(a) A dance.
(b) A mosaic.
(c) A mask.
(d) An illusion.
2. How does the nurse react to Merrick the first time she sees him?
(a) She gives him a hug.
(b) She sits and stares at him silently.
(c) She shakes his hand and says that she is happy to meet him.
(d) She screams and runs out of the room.
3. What does Treves use to show the audience the Elephant Man's deformities?
(b) Medical charts.
(c) A plastic model.
4. How does Merrick describe his mother to Mrs. Kendal?
(a) As intelligent.
(b) As afraid.
(c) As angry.
(d) As beautiful.
5. Where was Merrick abandoned as a child?
(a) On a church doorstep.
(b) In an orphanage.
(c) In a supermarket.
(d) On the side of the road.
6. Which of the Elephant Man's features is described as being "perfectly formed"?
(a) All ten of his toes.
(b) His left arm.
(c) His right leg.
(d) All ten of his fingers.
7. How much money has Merrick saved since starting work with Ross?
(a) Forty-eight pounds.
(b) Fifty-eight pounds.
(c) Twenty-eight pounds.
(d) Thirty-eight pounds.
8. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
9. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
(a) She is a teacher.
(b) She is an actress.
(c) She is a nurse.
(d) She is a seamstress.
10. While Treves and Merrick are talking, why does the porter enter Merrick's room?
(a) To look at Merrick's deformities.
(b) To change Merrick's bedsheets.
(c) To take Merrick's dinner order.
(d) To sew Merrick some new clothes.
11. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
12. Which of the following best describes the Elephant Man's deformities?
(d) Surgically correctable.
13. What does Treves say the public believes about Merrick's medical condition?
(a) That Merrick's condition is self-inflicted.
(b) That Merrick's condition is a death sentence.
(c) That Merrick's condition is contagious.
(d) That Merrick's condition is curable.
14. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe how she imagines Merrick?
15. What does Merrick hope to do with his life if he ever gains normal mobility?
(a) Become an architect.
(b) Become a swimmer.
(c) Become a pilot.
(d) Become a dancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Merrick is handed over to the police, what do they search his belongings for?
2. Which book did Merrick study as a child?
3. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
4. As the police are searching his belongings, what word does Merrick croak over and over?
5. During the interview with Treves, how did the nurse present herself?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)