|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT make a comparison to Merrick?
(a) The Bishop.
(d) The Conductor.
2. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
(a) Because she has expressed a desire to meet Merrick for herself.
(b) Because she is equally as lonely.
(c) Because she is blind.
(d) Because she knows how to hide her true emotions.
3. Which word does Merrick repeat over and over on the train ride back to London?
4. Merrick states that the model he is working on is a symbol for what, "flying up from the mud"?
5. Which of the Elephant Man's features is described as being "perfectly formed"?
(a) His left arm.
(b) His right leg.
(c) All ten of his fingers.
(d) All ten of his toes.
6. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) Treves' assistant.
(b) An off-stage voice.
(c) John Merrick.
(d) A woman in the front row.
7. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
8. Which of the following best describes the Elephant Man's deformities?
(d) Surgically correctable.
9. How much does Treves' supervisor think Treves can make as a fee per patient he sees?
(a) Ten guineas.
(b) One thousand guineas.
(c) One hundred guineas.
(d) Fifty guineas.
10. Which character does Gomm jokingly refer to as Jesus?
(a) The Bishop.
(c) The Nurse.
11. What art form is Merrick working on when Mrs. Kennedy arrives at his home for the first time?
(a) A drawing.
(b) A marble sculpture.
(c) A wood carving.
(d) A painting.
12. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
(a) She is a seamstress.
(b) She is an actress.
(c) She is a nurse.
(d) She is a teacher.
13. What is the name of Treves' supervisor at the hospital?
14. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
15. How does Treves feel about his own social advancement?
(a) He wishes it would move faster.
(b) He does not think he deserves it.
(c) He thinks he deserves it.
(d) He does not understand it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
2. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
3. Which meal is Merrick being served the first time the nurse comes to meet him?
4. How do Ross and Merrick part ways for the final time?
5. Which of the following best describes Treves' first conversation with Mrs. Kendal?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)