|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Merrick claim to have left London?
(a) To find a wife.
(b) To leave the "freak-show" business.
(c) To make more money.
(d) To get an education.
2. How does Treves react to Mrs. Kendal's probing questions about Merrick's anatomy?
(a) He is professional.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He is confused.
3. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
4. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
(a) The other traveling acts.
(b) The neighborhood association.
(c) The police.
(d) The schools.
5. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
(a) Mrs. Salad.
(b) Mrs. Crumb.
(c) Mrs. Potato.
(d) Mrs. Sandwich.
6. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
(a) His wealth.
(b) His rugby skills.
(c) His academic knowledge.
(d) His patience.
7. Who does Merrick consider his best friend, and the one visitor whose time he most appreciates?
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(c) Mrs. Kendal.
8. What does the caller state is the only thing more painful to The Elephant Man than his physical deformities?
(a) His foolish mind.
(b) His broken heart.
(c) His irrational fears.
(d) His spiritual anguish.
9. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
(a) A flower.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A church.
(d) A face.
10. To what ward of the hospital does Merrick request to be moved to during his stay?
(a) The comatose unit.
(b) The deaf unit.
(c) The amputee unit.
(d) The blind unit.
11. What does Treves say the public believes about Merrick's medical condition?
(a) That Merrick's condition is a death sentence.
(b) That Merrick's condition is self-inflicted.
(c) That Merrick's condition is curable.
(d) That Merrick's condition is contagious.
12. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
(a) It is staying about the same.
(b) It is worsening.
(c) Treves has stopped monitoring Merrick's health.
(d) It is slowly improving.
13. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
(a) A model castle.
(b) A model airplane.
(c) A model church.
(d) A model car.
14. Which of the following members of royalty makes an appearance in Merrick's hospital room?
(a) The King of Scotland.
(b) The Queen Mother.
(c) The Princess of Wales.
(d) The Prince of Wales.
15. What does Treves say he would like to do with Merrick's life?
(a) Make it as normal as possible.
(b) Make him the strongest man in the world.
(c) Make him a lot of money.
(d) Make him famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treves use to show the audience the Elephant Man's deformities?
2. What does The Princess of Wales call Merrick?
3. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
4. While Treves and Merrick are talking, why does the porter enter Merrick's room?
5. Who keeps track of all the gifts Merrick receives from his admirers?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)