|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
2. What does Treves say he would like to do with Merrick's life?
(a) Make it as normal as possible.
(b) Make him a lot of money.
(c) Make him famous.
(d) Make him the strongest man in the world.
3. Why does everyone find Merrick's artwork so amazing?
(a) Because he cannot stand up straight to work.
(b) Because he completes it with only one hand.
(c) Because he has no real reference to the outside world.
(d) Because he is almost blind.
4. What is the name of Treves' supervisor at the hospital?
5. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
6. How does Treves spread the word that he is searching for charitable donations to care for Merrick?
(a) In the newspaper.
(b) Over the radio.
(c) Through word of mouth.
(d) In a church bulletin.
7. After exiting the train, who hands Merrick over to the police officers?
(a) Merrick turns himself in.
(b) The train's conductor.
(d) The train passengers.
8. How does Merrick describe his mother to Mrs. Kendal?
(a) As intelligent.
(b) As beautiful.
(c) As angry.
(d) As afraid.
9. Merrick states that the model he is working on is a symbol for what, "flying up from the mud"?
10. Which of the following animals knocked Merrick's mother over while she was visiting a circus?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A lion.
(c) A zebra.
(d) A camel.
11. Who does Merrick consider his best friend, and the one visitor whose time he most appreciates?
(a) Mrs. Kendal.
(d) The Prince of Wales.
12. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
13. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
(a) A model car.
(b) A model church.
(c) A model castle.
(d) A model airplane.
14. After riding on the train, what other mode of transportation does Merrick take back to London?
(a) A boat.
(b) A taxi.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) An airplane.
15. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does The Princess of Wales call Merrick?
2. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
3. What does the interrupter state about the Elephant Man putting himself on display?
4. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
5. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe the perspective from the Prince of Wales' private theater seats?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)