|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe the perspective from the Prince of Wales' private theater seats?
2. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
(a) Mrs. Salad.
(b) Mrs. Sandwich.
(c) Mrs. Potato.
(d) Mrs. Crumb.
3. Where was Merrick abandoned as a child?
(a) On a church doorstep.
(b) On the side of the road.
(c) In an orphanage.
(d) In a supermarket.
4. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
5. What does The Princess of Wales call Merrick?
(a) That Elephant Bloke.
(b) The Elephant Guy.
(c) The Elephant Man.
(d) That Elephant Thing.
6. How does Merrick describe his mother to Mrs. Kendal?
(a) As intelligent.
(b) As beautiful.
(c) As afraid.
(d) As angry.
7. During the interview with Treves, how did the nurse present herself?
(a) As completely inexperienced.
(b) As competent and experienced.
(c) As shy and frightened.
(d) As warm and affectionate.
8. What does Ross do with all of Merrick's savings?
(a) He steals all of it, leaving Merrick with nothing.
(b) He splits it evenly with Merrick, fifty-fifty.
(c) He gives Merrick a small sum and steals the rest.
(d) He gives it all back to Merrick.
9. After the police beating, what does Ross tell Merrick that he "stinks of"?
10. Which of the following best describes Treves' first conversation with Mrs. Kendal?
11. To what ward of the hospital does Merrick request to be moved to during his stay?
(a) The amputee unit.
(b) The deaf unit.
(c) The comatose unit.
(d) The blind unit.
12. Which of the Elephant Man's features is described as being "perfectly formed"?
(a) His left arm.
(b) His right leg.
(c) All ten of his fingers.
(d) All ten of his toes.
13. As the police are searching his belongings, what word does Merrick croak over and over?
14. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
(a) A face.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A flower.
(d) A church.
15. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the caller state is the only thing more painful to The Elephant Man than his physical deformities?
2. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
3. How long will Merrick be allowed to stay in the hospital with Treves?
4. Which word does Merrick repeat over and over on the train ride back to London?
5. Which meal is Merrick being served the first time the nurse comes to meet him?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)