|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
(a) A face.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A flower.
(d) A church.
2. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
(a) He begins to shout.
(b) He begins to smile.
(c) He begins to sob.
(d) He begins to laugh.
3. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
4. Which of the following characters believes that all humans are simply copies God has created?
(c) Mrs. Kendal.
5. Who keeps track of all the gifts Merrick receives from his admirers?
(d) Mrs. Kendal.
6. Why does Merrick claim to have left London?
(a) To get an education.
(b) To leave the "freak-show" business.
(c) To find a wife.
(d) To make more money.
7. How does the nurse react to Merrick the first time she sees him?
(a) She screams and runs out of the room.
(b) She shakes his hand and says that she is happy to meet him.
(c) She sits and stares at him silently.
(d) She gives him a hug.
8. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
9. How does Treves spread the word that he is searching for charitable donations to care for Merrick?
(a) In the newspaper.
(b) Through word of mouth.
(c) Over the radio.
(d) In a church bulletin.
10. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
(a) His patience.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His rugby skills.
(d) His academic knowledge.
11. How is the porter treated by Gomm after visiting Merrick's room?
(a) He is scolded.
(b) He is given a raise.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He is promoted.
12. Where does Treves first meet the Elephant Man?
(a) At a freak show.
(b) At a carnival.
(c) Clowning in a circus.
(d) In the hospital.
13. How much money has Merrick saved since starting work with Ross?
(a) Forty-eight pounds.
(b) Fifty-eight pounds.
(c) Thirty-eight pounds.
(d) Twenty-eight pounds.
14. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) A woman in the front row.
(b) Treves' assistant.
(c) An off-stage voice.
(d) John Merrick.
15. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many policemen arrive in the streets and begin beating Ross and Merrick?
2. What does Treves tell Merrick is the one thing that will make him happy during his stay in the hospital?
3. During the interview with Treves, how did the nurse present herself?
4. What does the interrupter state about the Elephant Man putting himself on display?
5. Which of the following animals knocked Merrick's mother over while she was visiting a circus?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)