|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
(a) A model car.
(b) A model airplane.
(c) A model castle.
(d) A model church.
2. How does Merrick react when he sees fellow freak-show performers being abused by their managers?
(a) He attempts to comfort the victims.
(b) He weeps silently to himself.
(c) He attacks the abuser.
(d) He ignores the abuse.
3. Which of the following best describes Treves' voice as he describes the Elephant Man to the audience during a lecture?
4. What is Treves' subject of choice in the hospital?
5. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
(a) They look him up in the directory.
(b) John Merrick tells them his phone number.
(c) From his business card.
(d) One of the police officers knows Treves' father.
6. How does the caller treat The Elephant Man when calling him out of his tent?
(b) With kindness.
(c) With fear.
7. What does Treves use to show the audience the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) A plastic model.
(c) Medical charts.
8. How long will Merrick be allowed to stay in the hospital with Treves?
(a) For a few months, until funds run out.
(b) For one week only.
(c) As long as he likes.
(d) For nearly a year.
9. How old was Merrick when his mother was attacked at the circus?
(a) He was an infant.
(b) He was a teenager.
(c) He was a toddler.
(d) He was in utero.
10. Which meal is Merrick being served the first time the nurse comes to meet him?
11. How does Merrick describe his mother to Mrs. Kendal?
(a) As angry.
(b) As beautiful.
(c) As afraid.
(d) As intelligent.
12. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe the perspective from the Prince of Wales' private theater seats?
13. At which theatrical theater does the Prince of Wales own his own boxed seat?
(a) The stage.
(b) The symphony.
(c) The opera.
(d) The ballet.
14. What does Merrick hope to do with his life if he ever gains normal mobility?
(a) Become a swimmer.
(b) Become an architect.
(c) Become a pilot.
(d) Become a dancer.
15. Which of the following does Treves NOT accuse the caller of using to alter The Elephant Man's appearance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
2. When Treves arrives at the police station to pick up Merrick, what does Merrick beg Treves to do?
3. How do Ross and Merrick part ways for the final time?
4. After exiting the train, who hands Merrick over to the police officers?
5. What is The Elephant Man's real name?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)