|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Kendal call Merrick after she sees the model he is working on?
(a) A savant.
(b) An artist.
(c) A genuis.
(d) A fool.
2. Which of the following best describes the Elephant Man's deformities?
(d) Surgically correctable.
3. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
4. Which word does Merrick repeat over and over on the train ride back to London?
5. What does Merrick hope to do with his life if he ever gains normal mobility?
(a) Become a dancer.
(b) Become an architect.
(c) Become a swimmer.
(d) Become a pilot.
6. What art form is Merrick working on when Mrs. Kennedy arrives at his home for the first time?
(a) A wood carving.
(b) A drawing.
(c) A marble sculpture.
(d) A painting.
7. During the interview with Treves, how did the nurse present herself?
(a) As completely inexperienced.
(b) As shy and frightened.
(c) As competent and experienced.
(d) As warm and affectionate.
8. How long will Merrick be allowed to stay in the hospital with Treves?
(a) As long as he likes.
(b) For a few months, until funds run out.
(c) For nearly a year.
(d) For one week only.
9. How much money has Merrick saved since starting work with Ross?
(a) Fifty-eight pounds.
(b) Thirty-eight pounds.
(c) Forty-eight pounds.
(d) Twenty-eight pounds.
10. Why does everyone find Merrick's artwork so amazing?
(a) Because he is almost blind.
(b) Because he has no real reference to the outside world.
(c) Because he completes it with only one hand.
(d) Because he cannot stand up straight to work.
11. After exiting the train, who hands Merrick over to the police officers?
(a) The train's conductor.
(b) The train passengers.
(c) Merrick turns himself in.
12. Which of the following best describes Treves' first conversation with Mrs. Kendal?
13. Which of the following does Treves NOT accuse the caller of using to alter The Elephant Man's appearance?
14. How many policemen arrive in the streets and begin beating Ross and Merrick?
15. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
(a) She is a teacher.
(b) She is a nurse.
(c) She is an actress.
(d) She is a seamstress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe how she imagines Merrick?
2. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
3. Which of the following animals knocked Merrick's mother over while she was visiting a circus?
4. Which of the following Shakespearean plays is Mrs. Kendal performing in during the time she first meets Merrick?
5. Which of the following members of royalty makes an appearance in Merrick's hospital room?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)