|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the Elephant Man's features is described as being "perfectly formed"?
(a) All ten of his toes.
(b) His left arm.
(c) All ten of his fingers.
(d) His right leg.
2. Which of the following characters believes that all humans are simply copies God has created?
(b) Mrs. Kendal.
3. What does the interrupter state about the Elephant Man putting himself on display?
(a) That it is terrifying.
(b) That it is boring.
(c) That it is disgusting.
(d) That it is immoral.
4. After exiting the train, who hands Merrick over to the police officers?
(a) The train's conductor.
(b) Merrick turns himself in.
(c) The train passengers.
5. During the interview with Treves, how did the nurse present herself?
(a) As shy and frightened.
(b) As completely inexperienced.
(c) As competent and experienced.
(d) As warm and affectionate.
6. What is Merrick doing during the time that Treves is interviewing the nurse?
(a) Taking a bath.
(b) Sewing his clothes.
(c) Practicing the piano.
7. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
(a) It is worsening.
(b) Treves has stopped monitoring Merrick's health.
(c) It is slowly improving.
(d) It is staying about the same.
8. Which book did Merrick study as a child?
(a) The Torah.
(b) The Qur'an.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The Vedas.
9. How does Treves spread the word that he is searching for charitable donations to care for Merrick?
(a) Over the radio.
(b) In the newspaper.
(c) In a church bulletin.
(d) Through word of mouth.
10. How many policemen arrive in the streets and begin beating Ross and Merrick?
11. What is Treves' subject of choice in the hospital?
12. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
(a) Because she knows how to hide her true emotions.
(b) Because she has expressed a desire to meet Merrick for herself.
(c) Because she is blind.
(d) Because she is equally as lonely.
13. Which of the following animals knocked Merrick's mother over while she was visiting a circus?
(a) A zebra.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A lion.
(d) A camel.
14. How much money has Merrick saved since starting work with Ross?
(a) Forty-eight pounds.
(b) Thirty-eight pounds.
(c) Fifty-eight pounds.
(d) Twenty-eight pounds.
15. At which theatrical theater does the Prince of Wales own his own boxed seat?
(a) The stage.
(b) The symphony.
(c) The ballet.
(d) The opera.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
2. To what ward of the hospital does Merrick request to be moved to during his stay?
3. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
4. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
5. While Treves and Merrick are talking, why does the porter enter Merrick's room?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)