|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Treves think it is important for Merrick to form relationships?
2. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
(a) It is worsening.
(b) It is staying about the same.
(c) It is slowly improving.
(d) Treves has stopped monitoring Merrick's health.
3. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe how she imagines Merrick?
4. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
(a) He begins to shout.
(b) He begins to smile.
(c) He begins to laugh.
(d) He begins to sob.
5. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
6. Which word does Mrs. Kendal use to describe her life on display?
(a) A dance.
(b) A mosaic.
(c) An illusion.
(d) A mask.
7. How long will Merrick be allowed to stay in the hospital with Treves?
(a) For nearly a year.
(b) As long as he likes.
(c) For a few months, until funds run out.
(d) For one week only.
8. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
9. How does the nurse react to Merrick the first time she sees him?
(a) She gives him a hug.
(b) She shakes his hand and says that she is happy to meet him.
(c) She sits and stares at him silently.
(d) She screams and runs out of the room.
10. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
11. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A face.
(c) A church.
(d) A flower.
12. Where does Treves first meet the Elephant Man?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) At a carnival.
(c) At a freak show.
(d) Clowning in a circus.
13. When Treves arrives at the police station to pick up Merrick, what does Merrick beg Treves to do?
(a) Help him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Leave him.
(d) Train him.
14. Which of the following philosophers said that the world "is an illusion and the work of an artist is simply an illusion of an illusion"?
(b) Da Vinci.
15. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
(a) His rugby skills.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His academic knowledge.
(d) His patience.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
2. Which of the following best describes Treves' first conversation with Mrs. Kendal?
3. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
4. Which book did Merrick study as a child?
5. Merrick states that the model he is working on is a symbol for what, "flying up from the mud"?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)