|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Treves NOT accuse the caller of using to alter The Elephant Man's appearance?
2. Which of the following best describes Treves' voice as he describes the Elephant Man to the audience during a lecture?
3. Who does Merrick consider his best friend, and the one visitor whose time he most appreciates?
(b) Mrs. Kendal.
(c) The Prince of Wales.
4. Which of the following Shakespearean plays is Mrs. Kendal performing in during the time she first meets Merrick?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Much Ado About Nothing.
(c) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
5. What art form is Merrick working on when Mrs. Kennedy arrives at his home for the first time?
(a) A drawing.
(b) A wood carving.
(c) A painting.
(d) A marble sculpture.
6. Which of the following best describes the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) Surgically correctable.
7. How much money has Merrick saved since starting work with Ross?
(a) Fifty-eight pounds.
(b) Twenty-eight pounds.
(c) Thirty-eight pounds.
(d) Forty-eight pounds.
8. During the interview with Treves, how did the nurse present herself?
(a) As warm and affectionate.
(b) As competent and experienced.
(c) As shy and frightened.
(d) As completely inexperienced.
9. What does Merrick hope to do with his life if he ever gains normal mobility?
(a) Become a swimmer.
(b) Become an architect.
(c) Become a pilot.
(d) Become a dancer.
10. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
11. While Treves and Merrick are talking, why does the porter enter Merrick's room?
(a) To change Merrick's bedsheets.
(b) To take Merrick's dinner order.
(c) To sew Merrick some new clothes.
(d) To look at Merrick's deformities.
12. What is the name of Treves' supervisor at the hospital?
13. What does Treves say the public believes about Merrick's medical condition?
(a) That Merrick's condition is curable.
(b) That Merrick's condition is self-inflicted.
(c) That Merrick's condition is contagious.
(d) That Merrick's condition is a death sentence.
14. Which of the following members of royalty makes an appearance in Merrick's hospital room?
(a) The Prince of Wales.
(b) The King of Scotland.
(c) The Queen Mother.
(d) The Princess of Wales.
15. How does Merrick react when he sees fellow freak-show performers being abused by their managers?
(a) He attacks the abuser.
(b) He weeps silently to himself.
(c) He ignores the abuse.
(d) He attempts to comfort the victims.
Short Answer Questions
1. After exiting the train, who hands Merrick over to the police officers?
2. What does Treves use to show the audience the Elephant Man's deformities?
3. Where does Merrick stay while the Bishop is speaking with Treves?
4. What does the interrupter state about the Elephant Man putting himself on display?
5. How long will Merrick be allowed to stay in the hospital with Treves?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)