|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Merrick is handed over to the police, what do they search his belongings for?
(a) His ID.
(c) Stolen money.
(d) Illegal substances.
2. Which character does Gomm jokingly refer to as Jesus?
(a) The Nurse.
(b) The Bishop.
3. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) Treves' assistant.
(b) A woman in the front row.
(c) An off-stage voice.
(d) John Merrick.
4. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
(a) A model car.
(b) A model airplane.
(c) A model castle.
(d) A model church.
5. What does Merrick hope to do with his life if he ever gains normal mobility?
(a) Become a dancer.
(b) Become a swimmer.
(c) Become an architect.
(d) Become a pilot.
6. Why does everyone find Merrick's artwork so amazing?
(a) Because he has no real reference to the outside world.
(b) Because he is almost blind.
(c) Because he cannot stand up straight to work.
(d) Because he completes it with only one hand.
7. Which of the following characters believes that all humans are simply copies God has created?
(d) Mrs. Kendal.
8. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
9. How long will Merrick be allowed to stay in the hospital with Treves?
(a) For nearly a year.
(b) For one week only.
(c) As long as he likes.
(d) For a few months, until funds run out.
10. Which of the following best describes Treves' voice as he describes the Elephant Man to the audience during a lecture?
11. What part of Merrick's body is Mrs.Kendal most interested in?
(a) His genitals.
(b) His hands.
(c) His face.
(d) His brain.
12. What does Treves tell Merrick is the one thing that will make him happy during his stay in the hospital?
13. How much does Treves' supervisor think Treves can make as a fee per patient he sees?
(a) One hundred guineas.
(b) Ten guineas.
(c) Fifty guineas.
(d) One thousand guineas.
14. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
(a) John Merrick tells them his phone number.
(b) One of the police officers knows Treves' father.
(c) They look him up in the directory.
(d) From his business card.
15. Which of the following words does Mrs. Kendal use to describe Merrick's insights into life and love?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following Shakespearean plays is Mrs. Kendal performing in during the time she first meets Merrick?
2. Which book did Merrick study as a child?
3. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
4. What is the name of the man who is responsible for The Elephant Man?
5. What does The Princess of Wales call Merrick?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)