|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following members of royalty makes an appearance in Merrick's hospital room?
(a) The Queen Mother.
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(c) The King of Scotland.
(d) The Princess of Wales.
2. Where does Ross take Merrick to work after leaving London?
3. Which word does Mrs. Kendal use to describe her life on display?
(a) A mosaic.
(b) A dance.
(c) An illusion.
(d) A mask.
4. Which of the Elephant Man's features is described as being "perfectly formed"?
(a) All ten of his fingers.
(b) His right leg.
(c) All ten of his toes.
(d) His left arm.
5. How many characters enter the stage to discuss the similarities they feel with Merrick?
(a) Four at a time.
(b) One at a time.
(c) Two at a time.
(d) Three at a time.
6. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) An off-stage voice.
(b) John Merrick.
(c) Treves' assistant.
(d) A woman in the front row.
7. Which of the following characters does NOT make a comparison to Merrick?
(a) The Bishop.
(d) The Conductor.
8. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
9. At which theatrical theater does the Prince of Wales own his own boxed seat?
(a) The ballet.
(b) The symphony.
(c) The opera.
(d) The stage.
10. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
11. What is The Elephant Man's real name?
12. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
(a) Mrs. Salad.
(b) Mrs. Sandwich.
(c) Mrs. Crumb.
(d) Mrs. Potato.
13. To what ward of the hospital does Merrick request to be moved to during his stay?
(a) The amputee unit.
(b) The blind unit.
(c) The comatose unit.
(d) The deaf unit.
14. What does Treves say he would like to do with Merrick's life?
(a) Make him the strongest man in the world.
(b) Make him a lot of money.
(c) Make him famous.
(d) Make it as normal as possible.
15. How does the caller treat The Elephant Man when calling him out of his tent?
(a) With kindness.
(b) With fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the police are searching his belongings, what word does Merrick croak over and over?
2. How does Treves spread the word that he is searching for charitable donations to care for Merrick?
3. Who does Merrick consider his best friend, and the one visitor whose time he most appreciates?
4. How long will Merrick be allowed to stay in the hospital with Treves?
5. Where does Treves first meet the Elephant Man?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)