|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word does Mrs. Kendal use to describe her life on display?
(a) A dance.
(b) An illusion.
(c) A mask.
(d) A mosaic.
2. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
(a) Because she has expressed a desire to meet Merrick for herself.
(b) Because she is blind.
(c) Because she is equally as lonely.
(d) Because she knows how to hide her true emotions.
3. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
(a) His patience.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His academic knowledge.
(d) His rugby skills.
4. Which of the following best describes the Elephant Man's deformities?
(d) Surgically correctable.
5. What does Ross do with all of Merrick's savings?
(a) He gives it all back to Merrick.
(b) He gives Merrick a small sum and steals the rest.
(c) He steals all of it, leaving Merrick with nothing.
(d) He splits it evenly with Merrick, fifty-fifty.
6. What is Merrick doing during the time that Treves is interviewing the nurse?
(a) Taking a bath.
(b) Sewing his clothes.
(c) Practicing the piano.
7. What is the name of Treves' supervisor at the hospital?
8. After the police beating, what does Ross tell Merrick that he "stinks of"?
9. Which of the following characters does NOT make a comparison to Merrick?
(a) The Conductor.
(c) The Bishop.
10. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
(a) Mrs. Crumb.
(b) Mrs. Sandwich.
(c) Mrs. Salad.
(d) Mrs. Potato.
11. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) Treves' assistant.
(b) An off-stage voice.
(c) John Merrick.
(d) A woman in the front row.
12. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
(a) A face.
(b) A flower.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A church.
13. Merrick states that the model he is working on is a symbol for what, "flying up from the mud"?
14. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
(a) A model castle.
(b) A model car.
(c) A model airplane.
(d) A model church.
15. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merrick consider his best friend, and the one visitor whose time he most appreciates?
2. When Treves arrives at the police station to pick up Merrick, what does Merrick beg Treves to do?
3. What does Treves say the public believes about Merrick's medical condition?
4. How much does Treves' supervisor think Treves can make as a fee per patient he sees?
5. What is The Elephant Man's real name?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)