|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
(a) Mrs. Salad.
(b) Mrs. Sandwich.
(c) Mrs. Crumb.
(d) Mrs. Potato.
2. What art form is Merrick working on when Mrs. Kennedy arrives at his home for the first time?
(a) A painting.
(b) A wood carving.
(c) A marble sculpture.
(d) A drawing.
3. How old was Merrick when his mother was attacked at the circus?
(a) He was in utero.
(b) He was a teenager.
(c) He was a toddler.
(d) He was an infant.
4. Which meal is Merrick being served the first time the nurse comes to meet him?
5. While Treves and Merrick are talking, why does the porter enter Merrick's room?
(a) To sew Merrick some new clothes.
(b) To look at Merrick's deformities.
(c) To change Merrick's bedsheets.
(d) To take Merrick's dinner order.
6. Why does everyone find Merrick's artwork so amazing?
(a) Because he cannot stand up straight to work.
(b) Because he is almost blind.
(c) Because he completes it with only one hand.
(d) Because he has no real reference to the outside world.
7. How does the caller treat The Elephant Man when calling him out of his tent?
(a) With kindness.
(b) With fear.
8. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
(a) The police.
(b) The schools.
(c) The neighborhood association.
(d) The other traveling acts.
9. How does Treves spread the word that he is searching for charitable donations to care for Merrick?
(a) Through word of mouth.
(b) In a church bulletin.
(c) In the newspaper.
(d) Over the radio.
10. Which of the Elephant Man's features is described as being "perfectly formed"?
(a) His left arm.
(b) His right leg.
(c) All ten of his toes.
(d) All ten of his fingers.
11. How is the porter treated by Gomm after visiting Merrick's room?
(a) He is given a raise.
(b) He is scolded.
(c) He is promoted.
(d) He is fired.
12. Which of the following animals knocked Merrick's mother over while she was visiting a circus?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A zebra.
(c) A camel.
(d) A lion.
13. What does the caller state is the only thing more painful to The Elephant Man than his physical deformities?
(a) His irrational fears.
(b) His broken heart.
(c) His foolish mind.
(d) His spiritual anguish.
14. What does The Princess of Wales call Merrick?
(a) The Elephant Man.
(b) The Elephant Guy.
(c) That Elephant Thing.
(d) That Elephant Bloke.
15. How does the nurse react to Merrick the first time she sees him?
(a) She shakes his hand and says that she is happy to meet him.
(b) She screams and runs out of the room.
(c) She sits and stares at him silently.
(d) She gives him a hug.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ross and Merrick part ways for the final time?
2. Which character does Gomm jokingly refer to as Jesus?
3. Why does Merrick claim to have left London?
4. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
5. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe the perspective from the Prince of Wales' private theater seats?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)