|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Merrick doing during the time that Treves is interviewing the nurse?
(a) Sewing his clothes.
(c) Practicing the piano.
(d) Taking a bath.
2. Which of the following best describes Treves' voice as he describes the Elephant Man to the audience during a lecture?
3. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
(a) He begins to smile.
(b) He begins to shout.
(c) He begins to sob.
(d) He begins to laugh.
4. Where does Merrick stay while the Bishop is speaking with Treves?
(a) In a bathtub.
(b) On the surgical table.
(c) In the library.
(d) In his bedroom.
5. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
6. Which of the following words does Mrs. Kendal use to describe Merrick's insights into life and love?
7. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
(a) His academic knowledge.
(b) His patience.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His rugby skills.
8. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
9. After Merrick is handed over to the police, what do they search his belongings for?
(a) Illegal substances.
(c) His ID.
(d) Stolen money.
10. Which word does Mrs. Kendal use to describe her life on display?
(a) A mask.
(b) An illusion.
(c) A mosaic.
(d) A dance.
11. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
(a) They look him up in the directory.
(b) John Merrick tells them his phone number.
(c) From his business card.
(d) One of the police officers knows Treves' father.
12. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
(a) It is slowly improving.
(b) It is worsening.
(c) Treves has stopped monitoring Merrick's health.
(d) It is staying about the same.
13. After leaving Ross, how is Merrick treated by the fellow passengers on his train ride back to London?
(a) He is forced to answer embarrassing questions about his health.
(b) He is ignored completely.
(c) He is treated with kindness for the first time in his life.
(d) He is verbally and physically abused.
14. How much does Treves' supervisor think Treves can make as a fee per patient he sees?
(a) One hundred guineas.
(b) Ten guineas.
(c) Fifty guineas.
(d) One thousand guineas.
15. Which of the following members of royalty makes an appearance in Merrick's hospital room?
(a) The Princess of Wales.
(b) The Queen Mother.
(c) The Prince of Wales.
(d) The King of Scotland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
2. What is the name of Treves' supervisor at the hospital?
3. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
4. How do Ross and Merrick part ways for the final time?
5. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)