|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the interview with Treves, how did the nurse present herself?
(a) As completely inexperienced.
(b) As warm and affectionate.
(c) As competent and experienced.
(d) As shy and frightened.
2. Which of the following characters believes that all humans are simply copies God has created?
(a) Mrs. Kendal.
3. How do Ross and Merrick part ways for the final time?
(a) Ross and Merrick part ways amicably.
(b) Ross abandons Merrick in the streets.
(c) Merrick decides to quit the freak show business.
(d) Ross is jailed for abusing Merrick.
4. What does Treves say he would like to do with Merrick's life?
(a) Make it as normal as possible.
(b) Make him a lot of money.
(c) Make him famous.
(d) Make him the strongest man in the world.
5. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
6. With whom does Treves think it is important for Merrick to form relationships?
7. What part of Merrick's body is Mrs.Kendal most interested in?
(a) His face.
(b) His genitals.
(c) His hands.
(d) His brain.
8. Which book did Merrick study as a child?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) The Torah.
(c) The Vedas.
(d) The Bible.
9. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
(a) Because she is blind.
(b) Because she knows how to hide her true emotions.
(c) Because she has expressed a desire to meet Merrick for herself.
(d) Because she is equally as lonely.
10. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
(a) A model airplane.
(b) A model car.
(c) A model church.
(d) A model castle.
11. Why does Merrick claim to have left London?
(a) To get an education.
(b) To find a wife.
(c) To leave the "freak-show" business.
(d) To make more money.
12. While Treves and Merrick are talking, why does the porter enter Merrick's room?
(a) To look at Merrick's deformities.
(b) To take Merrick's dinner order.
(c) To sew Merrick some new clothes.
(d) To change Merrick's bedsheets.
13. Where does Treves first meet the Elephant Man?
(a) Clowning in a circus.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) At a freak show.
(d) At a carnival.
14. What is Treves' subject of choice in the hospital?
15. What is the name of the Prince of Wales' seat at the theater?
(a) The Royal Box.
(b) The Guilded Box.
(c) The King's Box.
(d) The Golden Box.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Treves NOT accuse the caller of using to alter The Elephant Man's appearance?
2. After the police beating, what does Ross tell Merrick that he "stinks of"?
3. What is the name of Treves' supervisor at the hospital?
4. How old was Merrick when his mother was attacked at the circus?
5. What does Treves tell Merrick is the one thing that will make him happy during his stay in the hospital?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)