|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Merrick stay while the Bishop is speaking with Treves?
(a) In his bedroom.
(b) In a bathtub.
(c) In the library.
(d) On the surgical table.
2. While Treves and Merrick are talking, why does the porter enter Merrick's room?
(a) To take Merrick's dinner order.
(b) To change Merrick's bedsheets.
(c) To sew Merrick some new clothes.
(d) To look at Merrick's deformities.
3. Where does Treves first meet the Elephant Man?
(a) At a freak show.
(b) At a carnival.
(c) Clowning in a circus.
(d) In the hospital.
4. What does Ross do with all of Merrick's savings?
(a) He splits it evenly with Merrick, fifty-fifty.
(b) He gives it all back to Merrick.
(c) He steals all of it, leaving Merrick with nothing.
(d) He gives Merrick a small sum and steals the rest.
5. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
6. Which of the following characters believes that all humans are simply copies God has created?
(d) Mrs. Kendal.
7. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) An off-stage voice.
(b) John Merrick.
(c) A woman in the front row.
(d) Treves' assistant.
8. Which meal is Merrick being served the first time the nurse comes to meet him?
9. Which of the following animals knocked Merrick's mother over while she was visiting a circus?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A lion.
(c) A camel.
(d) A zebra.
10. Which of the following best describes Treves' voice as he describes the Elephant Man to the audience during a lecture?
11. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe how she imagines Merrick?
12. What is Merrick doing during the time that Treves is interviewing the nurse?
(a) Taking a bath.
(c) Sewing his clothes.
(d) Practicing the piano.
13. How is the porter treated by Gomm after visiting Merrick's room?
(a) He is scolded.
(b) He is promoted.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He is given a raise.
14. How many policemen arrive in the streets and begin beating Ross and Merrick?
15. Which of the following members of royalty makes an appearance in Merrick's hospital room?
(a) The Prince of Wales.
(b) The Queen Mother.
(c) The King of Scotland.
(d) The Princess of Wales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Merrick claim to have left London?
2. As the police are searching his belongings, what word does Merrick croak over and over?
3. How much does Treves' supervisor think Treves can make as a fee per patient he sees?
4. Which of the Elephant Man's features is described as being "perfectly formed"?
5. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)