|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Merrick doing during the time that Treves is interviewing the nurse?
(a) Sewing his clothes.
(b) Taking a bath.
(d) Practicing the piano.
2. Which book did Merrick study as a child?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Qur'an.
(c) The Torah.
(d) The Vedas.
3. How does the caller treat The Elephant Man when calling him out of his tent?
(a) With fear.
(b) With kindness.
4. Where does Merrick stay while the Bishop is speaking with Treves?
(a) In the library.
(b) On the surgical table.
(c) In a bathtub.
(d) In his bedroom.
5. After the police beating, what does Ross tell Merrick that he "stinks of"?
6. What does Treves tell Merrick is the one thing that will make him happy during his stay in the hospital?
7. At which theatrical theater does the Prince of Wales own his own boxed seat?
(a) The stage.
(b) The opera.
(c) The symphony.
(d) The ballet.
8. How does Merrick react when he sees fellow freak-show performers being abused by their managers?
(a) He attempts to comfort the victims.
(b) He weeps silently to himself.
(c) He ignores the abuse.
(d) He attacks the abuser.
9. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
(a) He begins to sob.
(b) He begins to laugh.
(c) He begins to smile.
(d) He begins to shout.
10. How many characters enter the stage to discuss the similarities they feel with Merrick?
(a) One at a time.
(b) Four at a time.
(c) Three at a time.
(d) Two at a time.
11. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe the perspective from the Prince of Wales' private theater seats?
12. What does Treves think is happening to Merrick's physical condition the more he is accepted into normal society?
(a) It is staying about the same.
(b) Treves has stopped monitoring Merrick's health.
(c) It is worsening.
(d) It is slowly improving.
13. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
14. What name does Ross give two handicapped women whose heads rise to points?
15. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
(a) Mrs. Salad.
(b) Mrs. Potato.
(c) Mrs. Crumb.
(d) Mrs. Sandwich.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Treves' supervisor think Treves can make as a fee per patient he sees?
2. Why does everyone find Merrick's artwork so amazing?
3. What does Treves' supervisor state that Treves needs to increase in order to keep everyone happy?
4. What does Ross do with all of Merrick's savings?
5. To what ward of the hospital does Merrick request to be moved to during his stay?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)