|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Treves say the public believes about Merrick's medical condition?
(a) That Merrick's condition is a death sentence.
(b) That Merrick's condition is curable.
(c) That Merrick's condition is contagious.
(d) That Merrick's condition is self-inflicted.
2. What is The Elephant Man's real name?
3. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
(a) The other traveling acts.
(b) The neighborhood association.
(c) The schools.
(d) The police.
4. How does Merrick describe his mother to Mrs. Kendal?
(a) As intelligent.
(b) As beautiful.
(c) As afraid.
(d) As angry.
5. After exiting the train, who hands Merrick over to the police officers?
(a) The train passengers.
(b) The train's conductor.
(c) Merrick turns himself in.
6. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
(a) A church.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A face.
(d) A flower.
7. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
(a) Because she is equally as lonely.
(b) Because she is blind.
(c) Because she has expressed a desire to meet Merrick for herself.
(d) Because she knows how to hide her true emotions.
8. Which character does Gomm jokingly refer to as Jesus?
(b) The Nurse.
(d) The Bishop.
9. Which of the following adjectives best describes Merrick's compliments to Mrs. Kendal?
10. What is the name of Treves' supervisor at the hospital?
11. How long will Merrick be allowed to stay in the hospital with Treves?
(a) As long as he likes.
(b) For nearly a year.
(c) For one week only.
(d) For a few months, until funds run out.
12. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
(a) She is a teacher.
(b) She is an actress.
(c) She is a nurse.
(d) She is a seamstress.
13. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
14. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
15. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
(a) From his business card.
(b) They look him up in the directory.
(c) One of the police officers knows Treves' father.
(d) John Merrick tells them his phone number.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the police are searching his belongings, what word does Merrick croak over and over?
2. After riding on the train, what other mode of transportation does Merrick take back to London?
3. What art form is Merrick working on when Mrs. Kennedy arrives at his home for the first time?
4. What does the Prince of Wales admire most in Treves?
5. What does the interrupter state about the Elephant Man putting himself on display?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)