|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
(a) He begins to sob.
(b) He begins to smile.
(c) He begins to laugh.
(d) He begins to shout.
2. What does Treves say the public believes about Merrick's medical condition?
(a) That Merrick's condition is curable.
(b) That Merrick's condition is contagious.
(c) That Merrick's condition is a death sentence.
(d) That Merrick's condition is self-inflicted.
3. How is the porter treated by Gomm after visiting Merrick's room?
(a) He is promoted.
(b) He is fired.
(c) He is scolded.
(d) He is given a raise.
4. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) A woman in the front row.
(b) Treves' assistant.
(c) An off-stage voice.
(d) John Merrick.
5. Which of the following characters does NOT make a comparison to Merrick?
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The Conductor.
6. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
(a) From his business card.
(b) One of the police officers knows Treves' father.
(c) They look him up in the directory.
(d) John Merrick tells them his phone number.
7. What art form is Merrick working on when Mrs. Kennedy arrives at his home for the first time?
(a) A drawing.
(b) A painting.
(c) A marble sculpture.
(d) A wood carving.
8. What is Merrick building a model of in his hospital room?
(a) A model airplane.
(b) A model car.
(c) A model church.
(d) A model castle.
9. How much money has Merrick saved since starting work with Ross?
(a) Fifty-eight pounds.
(b) Twenty-eight pounds.
(c) Forty-eight pounds.
(d) Thirty-eight pounds.
10. What does Ross do with all of Merrick's savings?
(a) He steals all of it, leaving Merrick with nothing.
(b) He gives Merrick a small sum and steals the rest.
(c) He gives it all back to Merrick.
(d) He splits it evenly with Merrick, fifty-fifty.
11. What does Treves tell Merrick is the one thing that will make him happy during his stay in the hospital?
12. Who keeps track of all the gifts Merrick receives from his admirers?
(a) Mrs. Kendal.
13. How old was Merrick when his mother was attacked at the circus?
(a) He was a toddler.
(b) He was in utero.
(c) He was an infant.
(d) He was a teenager.
14. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
15. How does Treves feel about his own social advancement?
(a) He does not understand it.
(b) He wishes it would move faster.
(c) He thinks he deserves it.
(d) He does not think he deserves it.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which theatrical theater does the Prince of Wales own his own boxed seat?
2. What is Merrick attempting to portray in his artistic rendering?
3. What part of Merrick's body is Mrs.Kendal most interested in?
4. After riding on the train, what other mode of transportation does Merrick take back to London?
5. Which of the following animals knocked Merrick's mother over while she was visiting a circus?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)