|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Treves react to Mrs. Kendal's probing questions about Merrick's anatomy?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is professional.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is embarrassed.
2. How does the caller treat The Elephant Man when calling him out of his tent?
(b) With fear.
(d) With kindness.
3. How do the police get a hold of Treves' contact information?
(a) John Merrick tells them his phone number.
(b) One of the police officers knows Treves' father.
(c) From his business card.
(d) They look him up in the directory.
4. Which of the following adjectives does Mrs. Kendal use to describe the perspective from the Prince of Wales' private theater seats?
5. What is the name of the Prince of Wales' seat at the theater?
(a) The Royal Box.
(b) The King's Box.
(c) The Golden Box.
(d) The Guilded Box.
6. Who does Merrick consider his best friend, and the one visitor whose time he most appreciates?
(a) Mrs. Kendal.
(b) The Prince of Wales.
7. Why does Merrick claim to have left London?
(a) To get an education.
(b) To make more money.
(c) To leave the "freak-show" business.
(d) To find a wife.
8. Which word does Mrs. Kendal use to describe her life on display?
(a) A dance.
(b) An illusion.
(c) A mosaic.
(d) A mask.
9. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
(a) Because she is equally as lonely.
(b) Because she has expressed a desire to meet Merrick for herself.
(c) Because she knows how to hide her true emotions.
(d) Because she is blind.
10. Which character does Gomm jokingly refer to as Jesus?
(b) The Bishop.
(d) The Nurse.
11. What does Treves say he would like to do with Merrick's life?
(a) Make it as normal as possible.
(b) Make him the strongest man in the world.
(c) Make him famous.
(d) Make him a lot of money.
12. At which theatrical theater does the Prince of Wales own his own boxed seat?
(a) The stage.
(b) The symphony.
(c) The ballet.
(d) The opera.
13. What job has Treves come to fill at the hospital?
14. How much does Treves' supervisor think Treves can make as a fee per patient he sees?
(a) Ten guineas.
(b) One thousand guineas.
(c) Fifty guineas.
(d) One hundred guineas.
15. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treves say the public believes about Merrick's medical condition?
2. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
3. What does Treves tell Merrick is the one thing that will make him happy during his stay in the hospital?
4. Why does everyone find Merrick's artwork so amazing?
5. What does Treves use to show the audience the Elephant Man's deformities?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)