|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Treves' subject of choice in the hospital?
2. What does Treves tell Merrick is the one thing that will make him happy during his stay in the hospital?
3. To what ward of the hospital does Merrick request to be moved to during his stay?
(a) The amputee unit.
(b) The deaf unit.
(c) The comatose unit.
(d) The blind unit.
4. What does Ross do with all of Merrick's savings?
(a) He splits it evenly with Merrick, fifty-fifty.
(b) He gives it all back to Merrick.
(c) He gives Merrick a small sum and steals the rest.
(d) He steals all of it, leaving Merrick with nothing.
5. How does Treves feel about his own social advancement?
(a) He does not think he deserves it.
(b) He wishes it would move faster.
(c) He does not understand it.
(d) He thinks he deserves it.
6. Which of the following adjectives best describes Merrick's compliments to Mrs. Kendal?
7. Who shouts from the audience, interrupting Treves' lecture about the Elephant Man's deformities?
(a) Treves' assistant.
(b) An off-stage voice.
(c) John Merrick.
(d) A woman in the front row.
8. Where was Merrick abandoned as a child?
(a) On a church doorstep.
(b) In an orphanage.
(c) In a supermarket.
(d) On the side of the road.
9. After the police beating, what does Ross tell Merrick that he "stinks of"?
10. How long will Merrick be allowed to stay in the hospital with Treves?
(a) As long as he likes.
(b) For one week only.
(c) For a few months, until funds run out.
(d) For nearly a year.
11. After exiting the train, who hands Merrick over to the police officers?
(a) The train passengers.
(b) Merrick turns himself in.
(c) The train's conductor.
12. Which of the following animals knocked Merrick's mother over while she was visiting a circus?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A lion.
(c) A camel.
(d) A zebra.
13. What part of Merrick's body is Mrs.Kendal most interested in?
(a) His genitals.
(b) His brain.
(c) His hands.
(d) His face.
14. How does Merrick react when he sees fellow freak-show performers being abused by their managers?
(a) He attacks the abuser.
(b) He weeps silently to himself.
(c) He attempts to comfort the victims.
(d) He ignores the abuse.
15. What is The Elephant Man's real name?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
2. What does Mrs. Kendal do for a living?
3. Who does Ross have to draw a contract with in order to show Merrick on the streets?
4. Where does Merrick stay while the Bishop is speaking with Treves?
5. What is the name of the Prince of Wales' seat at the theater?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)