|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scenes 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Treves think Mrs. Kendal might be a good friend for Merrick?
(a) Because she knows how to hide her true emotions.
(b) Because she is blind.
(c) Because she is equally as lonely.
(d) Because she has expressed a desire to meet Merrick for herself.
2. How does the nurse react to Merrick the first time she sees him?
(a) She sits and stares at him silently.
(b) She screams and runs out of the room.
(c) She shakes his hand and says that she is happy to meet him.
(d) She gives him a hug.
3. To what city has Treves relocated at the beginning of the play?
4. After leaving Ross, how is Merrick treated by the fellow passengers on his train ride back to London?
(a) He is forced to answer embarrassing questions about his health.
(b) He is treated with kindness for the first time in his life.
(c) He is ignored completely.
(d) He is verbally and physically abused.
5. Where does Treves first meet the Elephant Man?
(a) At a carnival.
(b) At a freak show.
(c) Clowning in a circus.
(d) In the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long will Merrick be allowed to stay in the hospital with Treves?
2. After Mrs. Kendal leaves, how does Merrick respond to their first meeting?
3. When Merrick is telling Treves about his life in the workhouse, which word does he repeat over and over and over, in reference to the beatings he received?
4. Where does Merrick stay while the Bishop is speaking with Treves?
5. How does Treves react to Mrs. Kendal's probing questions about Merrick's anatomy?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)