|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scenes 19 and 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Merrick is in his meeting with the Bishop, what are Gomm and Treves discussing in the next room?
(a) Merrick's love life.
(b) Merrick's personal hygiene.
(c) Merrick's spirituality.
(d) Merrick's death.
2. What does the caller state is the only thing more painful to The Elephant Man than his physical deformities?
(a) His foolish mind.
(b) His broken heart.
(c) His irrational fears.
(d) His spiritual anguish.
3. Why does Merrick claim to have left London?
(a) To get an education.
(b) To find a wife.
(c) To make more money.
(d) To leave the "freak-show" business.
4. When Treves' wakes up from his dream, during which time Merrick was analyzing him, what does Merrick do to busy himself?
(a) He reads a book.
(b) He folds some laundry.
(c) He works on his model.
(d) He composes a letter.
5. How much does Merrick say he is willing to pay in order to have a visit with Treves during the dream?
(a) He will pay forty guineas.
(b) He will pay one hundred guineas.
(c) He will pay any sum demanded.
(d) He will pay nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word finished Treves' statement about the human condition, " To become more ________ is to die"?
2. Which meal is Merrick being served the first time the nurse comes to meet him?
3. What does Treves argue is the attractive element of Merrick's character?
4. What is the name of the nurse who Treves interviews to care for Merrick?
5. What is Merrick doing during the time that Treves is interviewing the nurse?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)