|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
2. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
3. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
4. What did Artie do right after kissing Dorothea after the spelling bee?
5. What does Artie accomplish on her own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
2. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
3. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
4. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
5. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
6. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
7. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
8. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
9. Why is Echo unable to see what she is doing to the little boy in the Spelling Bee?
10. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artie was set up for failure repeatedly by Dorothea's unreasonable expectations. Explore these scenes and write about how these early events later influenced Artie's life choices. Give evidence from the play to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Echo's treatment of the little boy at the spelling bee. Why does Echo act so cruelly, which is seemingly out of character for her?
Essay Topic 3
Dorothea stresses the importance of education. Discuss how and why Dorothea demonstrates her valuing education over motherhood, and give examples from the play.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)