|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
2. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
3. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
4. What happens when Echo is seven?
5. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
Essay Topic 1
Character names are very important in this play and have a kind of "self-fulfilling prophesy". Discuss how this is especially true for Artie. Give examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Artie said she could remember everything and was against total recall as a form of learning. Despite this, she drilled Echo repeatedly on spelling words. Why do you think she chose to teach Echo in this way? What other factors may have played into her decision?
Essay Topic 3
Dorothea gives a lengthy discussion about Echo's name and why she named her this. Echo's name is connected to her grandmother's expectations of her and Echo's later decisions in life. Discuss how Echo's name influenced her.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)