|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 6, how does Artie communicate with her daughter after seeing her?
2. Why does Artie give Dorothea a kiss after the spelling bee?
3. What did Echo remember about the trip back east?
4. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
5. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
2. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
3. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
4. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
5. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
6. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
7. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
8. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
9. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
10. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At some points in the play, Artie seems to have freed herself of her past and becomes a successful, functioning, happy individual. At what point is this true, and which events turn her life back around into the character she again becomes at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Dorothea stresses the importance of education. Discuss how and why Dorothea demonstrates her valuing education over motherhood, and give examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Dorothea gives her daughter and granddaughter very meaningful names: Artie (Artemis) and Echo. Dorothea explains her reasoning behind Echo's naming in the play. Artie is named after Artemis, a Greco-Roman huntress who was known for her ruthlessness and solitariness. Discuss how the characters' names fit their personalities. Give examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)