|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
2. What does Artie do when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
3. After all her name-changes and moves, what was Artie finally ready to to?
4. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
5. How does Artie and Echo's argument end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
2. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
3. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
4. Why do you think Echo said Artie was just a dead person when she called in scene 4?
5. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
6. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
7. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
8. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
9. What do all of the "educational stops " which the Westbrook women made have in common?
10. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dorothea and Artie have negative feelings about Echo winning the spelling bee because of Echo's poor treatment of her opponent. How do you think things might have been different if Echo had actually lost the spelling bee? How do you think Artie and Dorothea would have reacted then?
Essay Topic 2
The homemade wings reappear throughout the play and have importance and meaning for the characters. Discuss the wings from each of the character's perspective.
Essay Topic 3
In scene 5, the cross country drive west back to Dorothea's home is recounted. Echo was too young to remember the trip, but both Dorothea and Artie recount their memorable stops along the way. What do these stops indicate about Dorothea and Artie?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)