|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Artie and Echo's argument end?
2. How many names did Artie take on to keep from being found?
3. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
4. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
5. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
2. Why is Echo unable to see what she is doing to the little boy in the Spelling Bee?
3. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
4. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
5. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
6. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
7. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
8. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
9. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
10. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dorothea admits that in the last years of her life she is more concerned about her daughter, from whom he is estranged, rather than her granddaughter, whom she is raising. Why do you think this is true, and what may be the affects of this on Echo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how motherhood is handled by both Dorothea and Artie. Do you think Echo will be different in her role as a mother?
Essay Topic 3
The homemade wings reappear throughout the play and have importance and meaning for the characters. Discuss the wings from each of the character's perspective.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)