|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
2. What does Artie accomplish on her own?
3. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
4. How was Artie able to overcome her childhood?
5. How many times did Artie run away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
2. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
3. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
4. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
5. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
6. What do all of the "educational stops " which the Westbrook women made have in common?
7. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
8. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
9. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
10. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In scene 5, the cross country drive west back to Dorothea's home is recounted. Echo was too young to remember the trip, but both Dorothea and Artie recount their memorable stops along the way. What do these stops indicate about Dorothea and Artie?
Essay Topic 2
Character names are very important in this play and have a kind of "self-fulfilling prophesy". Discuss how this is especially true for Artie. Give examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dorothea's reaction to Artie searching for her lock of hair. Why is this so important to Dorothea, and is Dorothea reasonable in her reaction to Artie's search?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)