|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
2. What did Echo remember about the trip back east?
3. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
4. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
5. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
2. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
3. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
4. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
5. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
6. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
7. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
8. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
9. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
10. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In scene 3, the character of Dorothea is explored. What are your feelings about Dorothea? Do you feel sympathy for her or do you think her techniques of raising children are inexcusable? Explore your thoughts on this complex character.
Essay Topic 2
Echo never really has a chance to reunite her mother and grandmother. Discuss why she believes she can, and how she plans it.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used throughout Eleemosynary. Discuss examples of it and how it increases understanding of the play.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)