|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 6, how does Artie communicate with her daughter after seeing her?
2. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
3. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
4. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
5. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
2. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
3. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
4. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
5. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
6. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
7. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
8. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
9. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
10. Why do you think Echo said Artie was just a dead person when she called in scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In scene 5, the cross country drive west back to Dorothea's home is recounted. Echo was too young to remember the trip, but both Dorothea and Artie recount their memorable stops along the way. What do these stops indicate about Dorothea and Artie?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the play is a background theme throughout the play. Discuss why this title is appropriate for the play. Give examples of how it is used throughout the play.
Essay Topic 3
At some points in the play, Artie seems to have freed herself of her past and becomes a successful, functioning, happy individual. At what point is this true, and which events turn her life back around into the character she again becomes at the end of the play?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)