|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothea do when she finds Artie tearing up the house?
2. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
3. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
4. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
5. How was Artie able to overcome her childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
2. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
3. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
4. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
5. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
6. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
7. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
8. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
9. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
10. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dorothea stresses the importance of education. Discuss how and why Dorothea demonstrates her valuing education over motherhood, and give examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
At some points in the play, Artie seems to have freed herself of her past and becomes a successful, functioning, happy individual. At what point is this true, and which events turn her life back around into the character she again becomes at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Artie said she could remember everything and was against total recall as a form of learning. Despite this, she drilled Echo repeatedly on spelling words. Why do you think she chose to teach Echo in this way? What other factors may have played into her decision?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)