|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
2. How many times did Artie run away?
3. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
4. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
5. Where does Dorothea live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Echo said Artie was just a dead person when she called in scene 4?
2. Why do you think the author chose the book "Robinson Crusoe" to mention as being connected to Artie?
3. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
4. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
5. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
6. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
7. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
8. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
9. What do all of the "educational stops " which the Westbrook women made have in common?
10. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used throughout Eleemosynary. Discuss examples of it and how it increases understanding of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Echo never really has a chance to reunite her mother and grandmother. Discuss why she believes she can, and how she plans it.
Essay Topic 3
In scene 3, the character of Dorothea is explored. What are your feelings about Dorothea? Do you feel sympathy for her or do you think her techniques of raising children are inexcusable? Explore your thoughts on this complex character.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)