|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dorothea live?
2. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
3. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
4. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
5. What is the difference between the little boy losing and Echo losing, from Echo's perspective?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
2. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
3. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
4. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
5. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
6. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
7. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
8. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
9. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
10. Why is Echo unable to see what she is doing to the little boy in the Spelling Bee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how motherhood is handled by both Dorothea and Artie. Do you think Echo will be different in her role as a mother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Echo's treatment of the little boy at the spelling bee. Why does Echo act so cruelly, which is seemingly out of character for her?
Essay Topic 3
Echo never really has a chance to reunite her mother and grandmother. Discuss why she believes she can, and how she plans it.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)