|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Artie and Echo's argument end?
2. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
3. How many times did Artie run away?
4. What kind of winner was Echo?
5. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
2. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
3. Why do you think Echo said Artie was just a dead person when she called in scene 4?
4. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
5. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
6. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
7. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
8. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
9. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
10. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dorothea is in a coma, Artie and Echo fight about whether or not there is any value in interacting with Dorothea. Artie believes that Dorothea is nothing more than a vegetable. Echo believes she is still a person with feelings. Why do you think the characters are acting as they are? Use examples from the play to explain their actions.
Essay Topic 2
Dorothea stresses the importance of education. Discuss how and why Dorothea demonstrates her valuing education over motherhood, and give examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Dorothea gives a lengthy discussion about Echo's name and why she named her this. Echo's name is connected to her grandmother's expectations of her and Echo's later decisions in life. Discuss how Echo's name influenced her.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)