|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why aren't Artie and Dorothea happy about Echo winning?
2. How does Echo's family feel about her winning the spelling bee?
3. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
4. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
5. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
2. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
3. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
4. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
5. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
6. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
7. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
8. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
9. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
10. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At some points in the play, Artie seems to have freed herself of her past and becomes a successful, functioning, happy individual. At what point is this true, and which events turn her life back around into the character she again becomes at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how motherhood is handled by both Dorothea and Artie. Do you think Echo will be different in her role as a mother?
Essay Topic 3
Dorothea stresses the importance of education. Discuss how and why Dorothea demonstrates her valuing education over motherhood, and give examples from the play.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)