|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
2. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
3. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
4. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
5. What is Dorothea's relationship with her son-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
2. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
3. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
4. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
5. Why do you think Echo said Artie was just a dead person when she called in scene 4?
6. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
7. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
8. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
9. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
10. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Echo never really has a chance to reunite her mother and grandmother. Discuss why she believes she can, and how she plans it.
Essay Topic 2
Artie's father is mentioned briefly in the play. Discuss how Artie's father influenced the women in the play, despite his seemingly small role.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how motherhood is handled by both Dorothea and Artie. Do you think Echo will be different in her role as a mother?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)