|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Echo's plan for the spelling bee?
2. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
3. What is a "vortex"?
4. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
5. Who meets up after the spelling bee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
2. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
3. Why do you think the author chose the book "Robinson Crusoe" to mention as being connected to Artie?
4. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
5. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
6. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
7. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
8. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
9. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
10. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The homemade wings reappear throughout the play and have importance and meaning for the characters. Discuss the wings from each of the character's perspective.
Essay Topic 2
When Dorothea is in a coma, Artie and Echo fight about whether or not there is any value in interacting with Dorothea. Artie believes that Dorothea is nothing more than a vegetable. Echo believes she is still a person with feelings. Why do you think the characters are acting as they are? Use examples from the play to explain their actions.
Essay Topic 3
Dorothea and Artie have negative feelings about Echo winning the spelling bee because of Echo's poor treatment of her opponent. How do you think things might have been different if Echo had actually lost the spelling bee? How do you think Artie and Dorothea would have reacted then?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)