|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
2. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
3. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
4. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
5. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do all of the "educational stops " which the Westbrook women made have in common?
2. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
3. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
4. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
5. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
6. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
7. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
8. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
9. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
10. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Echo's treatment of the little boy at the spelling bee. Why does Echo act so cruelly, which is seemingly out of character for her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dorothea's reaction to Artie searching for her lock of hair. Why is this so important to Dorothea, and is Dorothea reasonable in her reaction to Artie's search?
Essay Topic 3
Dorothea stresses the importance of education. Discuss how and why Dorothea demonstrates her valuing education over motherhood, and give examples from the play.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)