|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artie considered going to the spelling bee as her ___________.
2. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
3. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
4. What time of day was it when Dorothea cut the lock of hair from Artie?
5. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
2. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
3. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
4. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
5. Why is Echo unable to see what she is doing to the little boy in the Spelling Bee?
6. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
7. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
8. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
9. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
10. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Echo's treatment of the little boy at the spelling bee. Why does Echo act so cruelly, which is seemingly out of character for her?
Essay Topic 2
Character names are very important in this play and have a kind of "self-fulfilling prophesy". Discuss how this is especially true for Artie. Give examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used throughout Eleemosynary. Discuss examples of it and how it increases understanding of the play.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)