Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dorothea began teaching Echo to read at the age of ______________.
2. Who is Artie named after?
3. What does Dorothea do after graduating from high school?
4. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
5. What do the wings represent to Artie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dorothea's educational treatment of Echo similar to how she raised Artie?
2. How is Artie's burning of Dorothea's possessions foreshadowed earlier in the play?
3. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
4. How does Artie respond to Echo's question of whether or not she loves her?
5. Why do you think Artie is unable to communicate effectively with her daughter?
6. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
7. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
8. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
9. Who is Artie named after and how does this name match her personality?
10. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
Discuss Echo's treatment of the little boy at the spelling bee. Why does Echo act so cruelly, which is seemingly out of character for her?
Dorothea and Artie have negative feelings about Echo winning the spelling bee because of Echo's poor treatment of her opponent. How do you think things might have been different if Echo had actually lost the spelling bee? How do you think Artie and Dorothea would have reacted then?
At some points in the play, Artie seems to have freed herself of her past and becomes a successful, functioning, happy individual. At what point is this true, and which events turn her life back around into the character she again becomes at the end of the play?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)