|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character ends scene 1?
2. In the opening of scene 2, what does Artie say concerns her the most?
3. Artie has an inability to do what, regarding Echo?
4. What do the wings represent to Artie?
5. What is Echo's relationship to Artie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the controller in the play? Who is being controlled?
2. How are the 3 main characters related to each other?
3. How is Dorothea's educational treatment of Echo similar to how she raised Artie?
4. Why do you think Artie is not worried about her own issues?
5. Who ignited Echo's original love of words?
6. How does Dorothea force her value of education over motherhood on Artie?
7. What skill does Echo have, and how does this skill become a form of communication between Echo and her mother?
8. What do you think the purpose of this scene 3 is?
9. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
10. Who is Artie named after and how does this name match her personality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used throughout Eleemosynary. Discuss examples of it and how it increases understanding of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how motherhood is handled by both Dorothea and Artie. Do you think Echo will be different in her role as a mother?
Essay Topic 3
In scene 5, the cross country drive west back to Dorothea's home is recounted. Echo was too young to remember the trip, but both Dorothea and Artie recount their memorable stops along the way. What do these stops indicate about Dorothea and Artie?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)