|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Echo's relationship to Artie?
2. What happens to Dorothea's husband?
3. Echo is obsessed with __________________.
4. How many times was Artie pregnant?
5. Dorothea changed her granddaughter's name to ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who ignited Echo's original love of words?
2. Artie begins and ends scene two. What do we learn about the character?
3. Why is it ironic that Artie constantly drills spelling words to Echo?
4. Why do you think Artie is unable to communicate effectively with her daughter?
5. In scene 1, Dorothea has had a stroke and is rendered mute. Why do you think Echo insists she can hear Dorothea?
6. How does Dorothea's choice to become an eccentric take away Artie's freedom?
7. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
8. How does Dorothea force her value of education over motherhood on Artie?
9. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
10. Who is the controller in the play? Who is being controlled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Echo never really has a chance to reunite her mother and grandmother. Discuss why she believes she can, and how she plans it.
Essay Topic 2
In scene 3, the character of Dorothea is explored. What are your feelings about Dorothea? Do you feel sympathy for her or do you think her techniques of raising children are inexcusable? Explore your thoughts on this complex character.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Echo's treatment of the little boy at the spelling bee. Why does Echo act so cruelly, which is seemingly out of character for her?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)