|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Dorothea talks about her marriage, what topic does she talk about?
2. What does Dorothea's husband promise her, but then does not fulfill?
3. How do Echo and Dorothea communicate?
4. In scene 3, when does the audience feel happy for Dorothea?
5. How does Dorothea teach her granddaughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
2. What are the basic relationships between the Westbrook women?
3. Who is Artie named after and how does this name match her personality?
4. What is the primary complication between the Westbrook women in this play?
5. Why is it ironic that Artie constantly drills spelling words to Echo?
6. Does Artie ever rebel from Dorothea?
7. What does Artie admit is her own neurosis?
8. How are the 3 main characters related to each other?
9. Why do you think Artie runs away instead of letting her mother send her to college?
10. How does Dorothea's choice to become an eccentric take away Artie's freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the play is a background theme throughout the play. Discuss why this title is appropriate for the play. Give examples of how it is used throughout the play.
Essay Topic 2
Dorothea and Artie have negative feelings about Echo winning the spelling bee because of Echo's poor treatment of her opponent. How do you think things might have been different if Echo had actually lost the spelling bee? How do you think Artie and Dorothea would have reacted then?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used throughout Eleemosynary. Discuss examples of it and how it increases understanding of the play.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)