Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dorothea began teaching Echo to read at the age of ______________.
2. Who is Artie named after?
3. What does Dorothea do after graduating from high school?
4. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
5. What do the wings represent to Artie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dorothea's educational treatment of Echo similar to how she raised Artie?
2. How is Artie's burning of Dorothea's possessions foreshadowed earlier in the play?
3. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
4. How does Artie respond to Echo's question of whether or not she loves her?
5. Why do you think Artie is unable to communicate effectively with her daughter?
6. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
7. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
8. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
9. Who is Artie named after and how does this name match her personality?
10. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Echo's treatment of the little boy at the spelling bee. Why does Echo act so cruelly, which is seemingly out of character for her?
Essay Topic 2
Dorothea admits that in the last years of her life she is more concerned about her daughter, from whom he is estranged, rather than her granddaughter, whom she is raising. Why do you think this is true, and what may be the affects of this on Echo?
Essay Topic 3
In scene 5, the cross country drive west back to Dorothea's home is recounted. Echo was too young to remember the trip, but both Dorothea and Artie recount their memorable stops along the way. What do these stops indicate about Dorothea and Artie?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)