Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dorothea began teaching Echo to read at the age of ______________.
2. Who is Artie named after?
3. What does Dorothea do after graduating from high school?
4. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
5. What do the wings represent to Artie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dorothea's educational treatment of Echo similar to how she raised Artie?
2. How is Artie's burning of Dorothea's possessions foreshadowed earlier in the play?
3. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
4. How does Artie respond to Echo's question of whether or not she loves her?
5. Why do you think Artie is unable to communicate effectively with her daughter?
6. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
7. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
8. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
9. Who is Artie named after and how does this name match her personality?
10. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
Artie's father is mentioned briefly in the play. Discuss how Artie's father influenced the women in the play, despite his seemingly small role.
Dorothea stresses the importance of education. Discuss how and why Dorothea demonstrates her valuing education over motherhood, and give examples from the play.
Echo never really has a chance to reunite her mother and grandmother. Discuss why she believes she can, and how she plans it.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)