|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between the women in the family?
2. Dorothea has ______________________expectations for her daughter.
3. After Dorothea talks about her marriage, what topic does she talk about?
4. Who raised Echo?
5. What happens to Dorothea's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the author's purpose was in having Echo spelling heard between Dorothea's recollections?
2. Why does Dorothea decide to take on a life of eccentricity?
3. Who is the controller in the play? Who is being controlled?
4. Why is it ironic that Artie constantly drills spelling words to Echo?
5. Who ignited Echo's original love of words?
6. Why do you think Artie is not worried about her own issues?
7. How are the 3 main characters related to each other?
8. Why does Artie feel that she was Dorothea's guinea pig as she grew up?
9. What is the primary complication between the Westbrook women in this play?
10. Who is Artie named after and how does this name match her personality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how motherhood is handled by both Dorothea and Artie. Do you think Echo will be different in her role as a mother?
Essay Topic 2
When Dorothea is in a coma, Artie and Echo fight about whether or not there is any value in interacting with Dorothea. Artie believes that Dorothea is nothing more than a vegetable. Echo believes she is still a person with feelings. Why do you think the characters are acting as they are? Use examples from the play to explain their actions.
Essay Topic 3
The homemade wings reappear throughout the play and have importance and meaning for the characters. Discuss the wings from each of the character's perspective.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)