|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She is looking for the homemade wings.
(b) She was looking for her favorite book.
(c) She is searching for the lock of hair.
(d) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
2. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
(a) Right up front so she can cheer on Echo.
(b) In the seat directly behind Dorothea.
(c) Far away from Dorothea so neither she nor Echo can see her.
(d) In the seat next to Dorothea.
3. How does Artie and Echo's argument end?
(a) They agree to disagree, and both sit with Dorothea.
(b) Artie leaves in frustration.
(c) Echo leaves in frustration.
(d) Echo convinces Artie to talk to Dorothea.
4. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
(a) A year later.
(b) A week later.
(c) After Echo is born.
(d) A month later.
5. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
(a) Dorothea says Echo is bright and already knows some Greek words.
(b) Dorothea says Echo is a great speller.
(c) Dorothea thinks Echo can fly.
(d) Dorothea says Echo reminds her of herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
2. What kind of winner was Echo?
3. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
4. What are Echo and Artie arguing about in the beginning of scene 4?
5. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
2. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
3. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
4. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
5. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
6. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
7. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
8. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
9. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
10. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)