|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did Artie say she moved?
(a) 4 times.
(b) 3 times.
(c) 2 times.
(d) 8 times.
2. What did Echo remember about the trip back east?
(a) Nothing, since she was just a baby.
(b) Stopping at all the restaurants to eat.
(c) Visiting an Indian burial ground,
(d) Visiting a landing strip for UFOs.
3. How hard was it for Echo to get to the National Spelling Bee?
(a) She only made it because another contestant became ill.
(b) She got there easily.
(c) She had to practice a lot.
(d) She barely made it there.
4. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
(a) Because her own mother was named Echo, and she loved her very much.
(b) So she would only remember the good about people and "echo" it back.
(c) So that she would have a good memory and "echo" back her knowledge.
(d) Because she liked the sound of it.
5. Why does Artie give Dorothea a kiss after the spelling bee?
(a) She really loves her mother and wants to show it.
(b) Echo asked her to do it.
(c) She wants to show fake affection for Echo's sake.
(d) She wanted to cheer up Dorothea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothea do when she finds Artie tearing up the house?
2. How many names did Artie take on to keep from being found?
3. What does Artie inform Dorothea of after the spelling bee?
4. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
5. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
2. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
3. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
4. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
5. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
6. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
7. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
8. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
9. What do all of the "educational stops " which the Westbrook women made have in common?
10. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)