|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Artie tell Echo about the National Spelling Bee?
(a) At Dorothea's house.
(b) Over the phone.
(c) She tells her about it over lunch at the deli.
(d) At the book fair.
2. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
(a) She wants her grandmother to be proud of her.
(b) She wants her mother to be proud of her.
(c) She thinks it will reunite her mother and grandmother.
(d) She wants the prize for winning.
3. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
(b) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
(c) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
(d) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
4. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
(a) At a book fair.
(b) In the mall.
(c) At the movies.
(d) In a restaurant.
5. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
(a) Because her own mother was named Echo, and she loved her very much.
(b) Because she liked the sound of it.
(c) So she would only remember the good about people and "echo" it back.
(d) So that she would have a good memory and "echo" back her knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Echo and Artie arguing about in the beginning of scene 4?
2. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
3. What is a "vortex"?
4. When Artie calls her daughter on the phone, what does Echo tell Dorothea about the phone call?
5. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
2. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
3. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
4. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
5. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
6. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
7. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
8. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
9. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
10. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)