|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
(a) 10 times.
(b) 17 times.
(c) 5 times.
(d) 3 times.
2. What did Artie do right after kissing Dorothea after the spelling bee?
(a) She asked Echo to come live with her.
(b) She moved back into Dorothea's home.
(c) She ran out of the auditorium.
(d) She asked Echo and Dorothea to come to dinner with her.
3. What is a "vortex"?
(a) An unusually shaped building.
(b) A very large race track.
(c) A space in which natural laws of physics are inverted.
(d) The center of a circle.
4. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
(a) She wants her grandmother to be proud of her.
(b) She wants the prize for winning.
(c) She wants her mother to be proud of her.
(d) She thinks it will reunite her mother and grandmother.
5. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
(a) She saw her mother looking at it.
(b) Dorothea had told her the story.
(c) Artie recommended it to her when she called.
(d) She thought it looked like a great story.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
2. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
3. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
4. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
5. What does Echo feel when her opponent crumbles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
2. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
3. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
4. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
5. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
6. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
7. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
8. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
9. Why do you think Echo said Artie was just a dead person when she called in scene 4?
10. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)