|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the difference between the little boy losing and Echo losing, from Echo's perspective?
(a) The little boy would just lose, while Echo would fail to reunite her family.
(b) Echo would not have another chance at winning, but the little boy was younger and would have more opportunities.
(c) The little boy would lose the competition, while Echo would lose her home.
(d) If the little boy won, Echo would finally get her family's sympathy.
2. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
(a) It disturbs her because she does not like rules to be broken.
(b) She feels uncomfortable standing in a circle.
(c) She thought the building might fall down with her in it.
(d) She does not like the loud noise of racecars.
3. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
(a) She saw her mother looking at it.
(b) She thought it looked like a great story.
(c) Dorothea had told her the story.
(d) Artie recommended it to her when she called.
4. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
(a) She puts in a locket which she wears.
(b) She puts in a frame in the living room.
(c) She hides it from Artie.
(d) She throws it away.
5. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
(a) She needs help to get well.
(b) She needs help finding an apartment.
(c) She needs her help to find a job.
(d) She will need help with the baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Echo's family feel about her winning the spelling bee?
2. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
3. In scene 4, what does Dorothea say to Artie when Artie calls to tell her where she has been?
4. What does Artie do when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
5. What time of day was it when Dorothea cut the lock of hair from Artie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
2. Why is Echo unable to see what she is doing to the little boy in the Spelling Bee?
3. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
4. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
5. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
6. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
7. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
8. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
9. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
10. What do all of the "educational stops " which the Westbrook women made have in common?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)