|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Artie believe?
(a) That Dorothea needs them to intereact with her.
(b) That Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(c) That Dorothea's coma is her fault.
(d) That Dorothea is a vegetable.
2. What happens when Echo is seven?
(a) Echo runs away.
(b) Artie moves back in the house with Dorothea and Echo.
(c) Artie gets a job 50 miles away from her.
(d) Artie remarries and takes Echo back to live with her.
3. How was Artie able to overcome her childhood?
(a) By focusing only on her husband and her work.
(b) By remembering how much her mother really loved her.
(c) By having a baby to love.
(d) By forgiving her mother's eccentricity.
4. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
(b) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
(c) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
(d) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
5. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
(a) She has an out of town meeting.
(b) She is afraid she will make Echo nervous.
(c) Her car is broken down and she cannot get there.
(d) She cannot leave her research.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Echo's family feel about her winning the spelling bee?
2. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
3. What is a "vortex"?
4. What did Artie do right after kissing Dorothea after the spelling bee?
5. In scene 4, what does Dorothea say to Artie when Artie calls to tell her where she has been?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
2. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
3. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
4. Why do you think the author chose the book "Robinson Crusoe" to mention as being connected to Artie?
5. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
6. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
7. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
8. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
9. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
10. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)