|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
(a) They hitchhiked across the country.
(b) They drove there after Echo's father died.
(c) They took a bus.
(d) They took Echo on her first plane ride to get there.
2. What does Echo feel when her opponent crumbles?
(a) She is appalled by his behavior.
(b) She doesn't even notice.
(c) She feels sorry for him.
(d) She thinks he is over reacting.
3. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
(a) Artie was seven.
(b) Artie was an infant.
(c) Artie was eighteen.
(d) Artie was in her thirties.
4. What news does Artie have for her mother when she calls her for the second time in scene 4?
(a) She is married to a professor, is about to finish her graduate degree in BioChem, and is pregnant.
(b) She is unmarried and pregnant.
(c) She has flunked out of college.
(d) She is sick and needs help.
5. How many times did Artie run away?
(a) 3 times.
(b) 4 times.
(c) 1 time.
(d) 2 times.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Artie tell Echo about the National Spelling Bee?
2. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
3. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
4. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
5. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
2. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
3. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
4. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
5. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
6. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
7. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
8. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
9. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
10. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)