|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Artie feel when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
(d) Pure joy.
2. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
(a) At the movies.
(b) At a book fair.
(c) In a restaurant.
(d) In the mall.
3. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
(a) To visit Echo on a weekly basis.
(b) To call her daughter more often.
(c) To practice her own spelling.
(d) To mend her relationship with Dorothea.
4. After all her name-changes and moves, what was Artie finally ready to to?
(a) Try to fly again.
(b) Contact her mother, Dorothea.
(c) Get a real job.
(d) Come home.
5. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
(a) She wanted to compare Artie's hair with her own.
(b) Artie had gum in her hair and she was cutting it out.
(c) Dorothea says it will always be a connection to her daughter, Artie.
(d) She was giving Artie a hair cut.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Artie do right after kissing Dorothea after the spelling bee?
2. Why does Echo feel such kinship to Dorothea?
3. What is Echo's plan for the spelling bee?
4. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
5. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
2. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
3. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
4. Why do you think the author chose the book "Robinson Crusoe" to mention as being connected to Artie?
5. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
6. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
7. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
8. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
9. What do all of the "educational stops " which the Westbrook women made have in common?
10. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)