|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
(a) She keeps lots of pictures of Artie aound the house.
(b) She talks about Artie all the time.
(c) She occasionally shows Echo pictures of her mother.
(d) She never does anyhting to help her remember Artie.
2. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
(a) Dorothea says Echo reminds her of herself.
(b) Dorothea says Echo is bright and already knows some Greek words.
(c) Dorothea thinks Echo can fly.
(d) Dorothea says Echo is a great speller.
3. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Artie believe?
(a) That Dorothea is a vegetable.
(b) That Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(c) That Dorothea's coma is her fault.
(d) That Dorothea needs them to intereact with her.
4. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
(a) They took Echo on her first plane ride to get there.
(b) They drove there after Echo's father died.
(c) They hitchhiked across the country.
(d) They took a bus.
5. What happens when Echo is seven?
(a) Artie gets a job 50 miles away from her.
(b) Artie moves back in the house with Dorothea and Echo.
(c) Echo runs away.
(d) Artie remarries and takes Echo back to live with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
2. Who meets up after the spelling bee?
3. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
4. Where does Dorothea live?
5. How hard was it for Echo to get to the National Spelling Bee?
Short Essay Questions
1. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
2. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
3. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
4. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
5. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
6. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
7. What do all of the "educational stops " which the Westbrook women made have in common?
8. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
9. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
10. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)