|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
(a) At the movies.
(b) In a restaurant.
(c) In the mall.
(d) At a book fair.
2. When Artie calls her daughter on the phone, what does Echo tell Dorothea about the phone call?
(a) That is was a wrong number.
(b) That it was from a dead person.
(c) That it was from her father.
(d) That it was a sales call.
3. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
(b) Disappointment and carefully controlled anger.
4. Why was Echo happy to hear the word "eleemosynary" at the spelling bee?
(a) She had never heard it before, but could sound it out.
(b) It is her favorite word.
(c) Her mother loved the word.
(d) It was the longest word she knew.
5. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
(b) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
(c) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
(d) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
2. Who meets up after the spelling bee?
3. Why does Echo feel such kinship to Dorothea?
4. After Artie accidentally sees Echo in scene 5, what does she suggest to Echo?
5. What is the difference between the little boy losing and Echo losing, from Echo's perspective?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
2. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
3. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
4. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
5. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
6. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
7. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
8. Why do you think the author chose the book "Robinson Crusoe" to mention as being connected to Artie?
9. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
10. Why is Echo unable to see what she is doing to the little boy in the Spelling Bee?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)