|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Artie give Dorothea a kiss after the spelling bee?
(a) She really loves her mother and wants to show it.
(b) She wants to show fake affection for Echo's sake.
(c) She wanted to cheer up Dorothea.
(d) Echo asked her to do it.
2. How does Artie and Echo's argument end?
(a) Echo leaves in frustration.
(b) They agree to disagree, and both sit with Dorothea.
(c) Echo convinces Artie to talk to Dorothea.
(d) Artie leaves in frustration.
3. What is the difference between the little boy losing and Echo losing, from Echo's perspective?
(a) The little boy would lose the competition, while Echo would lose her home.
(b) The little boy would just lose, while Echo would fail to reunite her family.
(c) If the little boy won, Echo would finally get her family's sympathy.
(d) Echo would not have another chance at winning, but the little boy was younger and would have more opportunities.
4. How does Echo's family feel about her winning the spelling bee?
(b) Very proud.
(c) United in their pride and happiness.
(d) Upset at how she treated her opponent.
5. What did Artie do right after kissing Dorothea after the spelling bee?
(a) She asked Echo and Dorothea to come to dinner with her.
(b) She moved back into Dorothea's home.
(c) She asked Echo to come live with her.
(d) She ran out of the auditorium.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Echo do as Artie leaves the auditorium after the spelling bee?
2. How does Artie feel when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
3. After Artie accidentally sees Echo in scene 5, what does she suggest to Echo?
4. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
5. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
2. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
3. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
4. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
5. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
6. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
7. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
8. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
9. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
10. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)