|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
(a) Because her own mother was named Echo, and she loved her very much.
(b) Because she liked the sound of it.
(c) So she would only remember the good about people and "echo" it back.
(d) So that she would have a good memory and "echo" back her knowledge.
2. What is Echo's plan for the spelling bee?
(a) To run away at the spelling bee.
(b) To have both her mother and grandmother come to the spelling bee and be reunited.
(c) To win the spelling bee.
(d) To intentionally lose the spelling bee to gain her mother's pity.
3. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
(a) No chance at all.
(b) A really good chance, if she won.
(c) A really good chance, if she lost.
(d) A great chance, just by getting everyone together.
4. What does Echo feel when her opponent crumbles?
(a) She is appalled by his behavior.
(b) She feels sorry for him.
(c) She thinks he is over reacting.
(d) She doesn't even notice.
5. After Artie accidentally sees Echo in scene 5, what does she suggest to Echo?
(a) That Echo now come to live with her.
(b) That Echo try out for the National Spelling Bee.
(c) That they have dinner together and talk about Echo's schooling.
(d) That Echo and Dorothea come and visit her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
2. Why does Artie give Dorothea a kiss after the spelling bee?
3. What happens when Echo is seven?
4. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
5. What is Echo's final word in the spelling bee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
2. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
3. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
4. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
5. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
6. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
7. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
8. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
9. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
10. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)