|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
(a) She needs help to get well.
(b) She needs help finding an apartment.
(c) She will need help with the baby.
(d) She needs her help to find a job.
2. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
(a) After Echo is born.
(b) A month later.
(c) A week later.
(d) A year later.
3. How hard was it for Echo to get to the National Spelling Bee?
(a) She had to practice a lot.
(b) She barely made it there.
(c) She only made it because another contestant became ill.
(d) She got there easily.
4. Why does Artie give Dorothea a kiss after the spelling bee?
(a) Echo asked her to do it.
(b) She wanted to cheer up Dorothea.
(c) She wants to show fake affection for Echo's sake.
(d) She really loves her mother and wants to show it.
5. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
(a) Disappointment and carefully controlled anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
2. Why aren't Artie and Dorothea happy about Echo winning?
3. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
4. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
5. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
2. What do all of the "educational stops " which the Westbrook women made have in common?
3. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
4. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
5. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
6. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
7. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
8. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
9. Why do you think Echo said Artie was just a dead person when she called in scene 4?
10. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)