|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Artie do right after kissing Dorothea after the spelling bee?
(a) She ran out of the auditorium.
(b) She moved back into Dorothea's home.
(c) She asked Echo to come live with her.
(d) She asked Echo and Dorothea to come to dinner with her.
2. Who meets up after the spelling bee?
(a) Echo and Artie.
(b) Dorothea and Echo.
(c) Echo's father and Artie.
(d) Artie and Dorothea.
3. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
(b) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
(c) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(d) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
4. What is Dorothea's relationship with her son-in-law?
(a) Dorothea loves him as her own son, but he does not like her.
(b) They do not know each other at all.
(c) They are friends.
(d) They barely tolerate each other.
5. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
(a) She wants her mother to be proud of her.
(b) She wants the prize for winning.
(c) She thinks it will reunite her mother and grandmother.
(d) She wants her grandmother to be proud of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
2. What does Artie do when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
3. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
4. What are Echo and Artie arguing about in the beginning of scene 4?
5. Why was Echo happy to hear the word "eleemosynary" at the spelling bee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
2. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
3. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
4. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
5. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
6. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
7. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
8. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
9. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
10. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)