|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
(a) She wants the prize for winning.
(b) She thinks it will reunite her mother and grandmother.
(c) She wants her grandmother to be proud of her.
(d) She wants her mother to be proud of her.
2. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
(a) She has an out of town meeting.
(b) She cannot leave her research.
(c) Her car is broken down and she cannot get there.
(d) She is afraid she will make Echo nervous.
3. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
(a) Dorothea is taking a walk in the park.
(b) Dorothea is in a coma in a hospital bed.
(c) Dorothea is teaching Artie her alphabet.
(d) Dorothea is teaching Echo her alphabet.
4. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
(a) She wanted to compare Artie's hair with her own.
(b) Artie had gum in her hair and she was cutting it out.
(c) Dorothea says it will always be a connection to her daughter, Artie.
(d) She was giving Artie a hair cut.
5. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Artie believe?
(a) That Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(b) That Dorothea needs them to intereact with her.
(c) That Dorothea is a vegetable.
(d) That Dorothea's coma is her fault.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Echo and Artie arguing about in the beginning of scene 4?
2. What does Artie do when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
3. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
4. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
5. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
2. Why is Echo unable to see what she is doing to the little boy in the Spelling Bee?
3. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
4. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
5. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
6. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
7. Why do you think Echo said Artie was just a dead person when she called in scene 4?
8. Why do you think the author chose the book "Robinson Crusoe" to mention as being connected to Artie?
9. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
10. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)