|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Echo's plan for the spelling bee?
(a) To run away at the spelling bee.
(b) To win the spelling bee.
(c) To intentionally lose the spelling bee to gain her mother's pity.
(d) To have both her mother and grandmother come to the spelling bee and be reunited.
2. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
(a) After Echo is born.
(b) A year later.
(c) A week later.
(d) A month later.
3. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
(a) In the mall.
(b) In a restaurant.
(c) At a book fair.
(d) At the movies.
4. What is a "vortex"?
(a) An unusually shaped building.
(b) A space in which natural laws of physics are inverted.
(c) The center of a circle.
(d) A very large race track.
5. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
(a) She thought it looked like a great story.
(b) She saw her mother looking at it.
(c) Dorothea had told her the story.
(d) Artie recommended it to her when she called.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Artie say she moved?
2. Where does Dorothea live?
3. What happens when Echo is seven?
4. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
5. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
2. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
3. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
4. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
5. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
6. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
7. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
8. Why is Echo unable to see what she is doing to the little boy in the Spelling Bee?
9. Why do you think the author chose the book "Robinson Crusoe" to mention as being connected to Artie?
10. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)