|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
(b) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
(c) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
(d) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
2. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
(b) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(c) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
(d) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
3. What kind of winner was Echo?
(a) Quiet and unassuming.
(b) Grateful and kind.
(c) Obnoxious and cruel.
(d) Quiet, but proud.
4. How was Artie able to overcome her childhood?
(a) By having a baby to love.
(b) By forgiving her mother's eccentricity.
(c) By remembering how much her mother really loved her.
(d) By focusing only on her husband and her work.
5. What is Echo's plan for the spelling bee?
(a) To run away at the spelling bee.
(b) To intentionally lose the spelling bee to gain her mother's pity.
(c) To win the spelling bee.
(d) To have both her mother and grandmother come to the spelling bee and be reunited.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dorothea live?
2. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
3. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
4. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
5. How many names did Artie take on to keep from being found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
2. How does what Dorothea says about the lock of hair always connecting her to Artie foreshadow their relationship?
3. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
4. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
5. Why do you think the author chose the book "Robinson Crusoe" to mention as being connected to Artie?
6. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
7. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
8. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
9. Why do you think that Dorothea reacts so coldly to Artie when she searches for the lock of hair?
10. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)