|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How hard was it for Echo to get to the National Spelling Bee?
(a) She barely made it there.
(b) She had to practice a lot.
(c) She only made it because another contestant became ill.
(d) She got there easily.
2. What is a "vortex"?
(a) An unusually shaped building.
(b) A space in which natural laws of physics are inverted.
(c) A very large race track.
(d) The center of a circle.
3. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
(a) Echo is sleeping.
(b) Echo is spelling out loud.
(c) Echo is talking to her father.
(d) Echo is wearing the wings.
4. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
(a) Disappointment and carefully controlled anger.
5. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
(a) Dorothea thinks Echo can fly.
(b) Dorothea says Echo is a great speller.
(c) Dorothea says Echo reminds her of herself.
(d) Dorothea says Echo is bright and already knows some Greek words.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
2. When Artie calls her daughter on the phone, what does Echo tell Dorothea about the phone call?
3. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Artie believe?
4. How many times did Artie say she moved?
5. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Echo believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
2. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
3. Why do you think Echo said Artie was just a dead person when she called in scene 4?
4. Why do you think the author chose to "kill off"all the male characters in the play?
5. What evidence is there in scene 5 that Echo is intrigued by her mother and wants to get to know her?
6. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
7. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
8. Why does Echo agree to work towards the National Spelling Bee?
9. Why do you think Dorothea wanted Echo to be so willing to give forgiveness?
10. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)