|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorothea do when she finds Artie tearing up the house?
(a) She hugs Artie and asks her what is wrong.
(b) She gives her the lock of hair and says she never wants it back.
(c) She makes Artie stay home from school to clean up.
(d) She sends Artie to a friends house while she cleans up.
2. What kind of winner was Echo?
(a) Quiet and unassuming.
(b) Quiet, but proud.
(c) Grateful and kind.
(d) Obnoxious and cruel.
3. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
(d) Disappointment and carefully controlled anger.
4. Artie considered going to the spelling bee as her ___________.
5. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
(a) In a restaurant.
(b) In the mall.
(c) At the movies.
(d) At a book fair.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Artie feel when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
2. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
3. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
4. What did Artie do right after kissing Dorothea after the spelling bee?
5. What time of day was it when Dorothea cut the lock of hair from Artie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dorothea change her granddaughter's name to Echo?
2. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
3. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
4. Why do you think the author chose the book "Robinson Crusoe" to mention as being connected to Artie?
5. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
6. Why do you think Artie left her daughter with Dorothea, despite her own traumatic childhood with her mother?
7. Why is Echo unable to see what she is doing to the little boy in the Spelling Bee?
8. Why are Artie and Echo arguing over Dorothea as scene 4 opens?
9. Why does Artie suggest to Echo to practice for the National Spelling Bee?
10. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)