|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Artie's mother want her to do when Artie was young?
(a) To try to fly with homemade wings.
(b) To study to become a doctor.
(c) To spell "eleemosynary."
(d) To make a pair of wings.
2. Dorothea has ______________________expectations for her daughter.
(d) Very low.
3. Who enters the first scene wearing wings?
(a) No one.
4. What trait does Artie say she has that makes her life so hard?
(a) She is too tall.
(b) She is unable to forget anything.
(c) She cannot remember details.
(d) She has freckles.
5. Which character re-enters in the middle of scene 3?
(d) Dorothea's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Dorothea's childhood like?
2. What do the wings represent to Artie?
3. What is the happy time that Dorothea recalls in her life?
4. At what point in scene 3 does the audience lose sympathy for Dorothea?
5. In scene 3, when does the audience feel happy for Dorothea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the opening action of this play, and what does this foreshadow?
2. What do you think the purpose of this scene 3 is?
3. Who is the controller in the play? Who is being controlled?
4. Does Artie ever rebel from Dorothea?
5. Why do you think Artie runs away instead of letting her mother send her to college?
6. What do you think the author's purpose was in having Echo spelling heard between Dorothea's recollections?
7. Why do you think Dorothea felt little or no grief when her husband died?
8. Why do you think Artie is not worried about her own issues?
9. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
10. Why does Artie feel that she was Dorothea's guinea pig as she grew up?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)