|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The play's title is most relevant to which character?
(d) Echo's father.
2. What does Dorothea do to help Artie learn?
(a) She hires tutors.
(b) She calls words out for her to spell from the dictionary.
(c) She walks her to school each morning.
(d) She gives her a math test everyday.
3. How many generations of women does this play cover?
4. What was Dorothea's childhood like?
(a) Dorothea had a wonderful childhood filled with love.
(b) Dorothea had lots of friends and was happy.
(c) Dorothea felt worthless and guilty growing up.
(d) Dorothea's parents doted on Dorothea.
5. What happens to Dorothea's husband?
(a) He is crippled in an accident.
(b) He has a stroke and is unable to communicate.
(c) He dies suddenly.
(d) He leaves Dorothea.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Artie is _______________ she becomes pregnant.
2. Why were Artie and Echo's conversations limited?
3. Scene 2 begins and ends with which character?
4. Dorothea has ______________________expectations for her daughter.
5. Why does Dorothea marry her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Echo have, and how does this skill become a form of communication between Echo and her mother?
2. Artie begins and ends scene two. What do we learn about the character?
3. At what point in scene 3 do you think the audience loses sympathy for Dorothea?
4. Why do you think Artie is unable to communicate effectively with her daughter?
5. Why is it ironic that Artie constantly drills spelling words to Echo?
6. What do you think the author's purpose was in having Echo spelling heard between Dorothea's recollections?
7. How is Dorothea's educational treatment of Echo similar to how she raised Artie?
8. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
9. Who is the controller in the play? Who is being controlled?
10. In scene 1, Dorothea has had a stroke and is rendered mute. Why do you think Echo insists she can hear Dorothea?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)