Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dorothea began teaching Echo to read at the age of ______________.
(a) 3 months.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 12 months.
2. Who is Artie named after?
(b) Arthur,her mother's father.
(c) Arthur, her father.
(d) Artemis, the Greco-Roman huntress; the sister of Apollo.
3. What does Dorothea do after graduating from high school?
(a) She goes to college.
(b) She marries.
(c) She takes a job as a waitress.
(d) She becomes pregnant.
4. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
(a) Dorothea is thrilled and cannot wait until the baby is born.
(b) Dorothea wants Artie to get married before the baby is born.
(c) Dorothea is disappointed that Artie is so young, but is excited about having a grandchild.
(d) Dorothea is upset because she feels having a child would ruin Artie's chance at an education.
5. What do the wings represent to Artie?
(a) A wonderful time from her childhood.
(b) Her terrible childhood with an eccentric, controlling mother.
(c) A gift from a loving mother.
(d) A way that she can finally fly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last name of the family in this play?
2. Who says that a smart girl will never be married?
3. How do Echo and Dorothea communicate?
4. What can eccentricity do for Dorothea?
5. What great skill does Echo have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dorothea's educational treatment of Echo similar to how she raised Artie?
2. How is Artie's burning of Dorothea's possessions foreshadowed earlier in the play?
3. Why is Echo so ruthless in her defeat of the little boy?
4. How does Artie respond to Echo's question of whether or not she loves her?
5. Why do you think Artie is unable to communicate effectively with her daughter?
6. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
7. Why does Artie feel that she has fulfilled her commitment to Echo?
8. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
9. Who is Artie named after and how does this name match her personality?
10. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)