|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says that a smart girl will never be married?
(b) Artie's father.
2. What is Artie's relationship to Dorothea?
(a) Artie is Dorothea's granddaughter.
(b) Artie is Dorothea's husband.
(c) Artie is Dorothea's father.
(d) Artie is Dorothea's daughter.
3. What does Artie do after her pregnancy?
(a) Artie runs away.
(b) Artie decides to be a stay-at-home mom.
(c) Artie goes to college.
(d) Artie gets a job at a restaurant.
4. When Dorothea changed her granddaughter's name, Echo was ___________.
(a) 2 years old.
(b) 1 year old.
(c) 3 months old.
(d) 5 years old.
5. How does Dorothea feel about her husband?
(a) Dorothea hates her husband.
(b) Dorothea loves him dearly.
(c) Dorothea feels no grief when he dies.
(d) Dorothea feels pity for her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Artie feel about the outcome of her pregnancy?
2. How does Artie communicate with her mother when her mother is mute?
3. How many words does Echo misspell when her mother drills her on the phone?
4. When Artie is _______________ she becomes pregnant.
5. How does Dorothea teach her granddaughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what point in scene 3 do you think the audience loses sympathy for Dorothea?
2. Who ignited Echo's original love of words?
3. Why is it ironic that Artie constantly drills spelling words to Echo?
4. What is the primary complication between the Westbrook women in this play?
5. Does Artie ever rebel from Dorothea?
6. Why do you think Artie is unable to communicate effectively with her daughter?
7. Why do you think Artie is not worried about her own issues?
8. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
9. What skill does Echo have, and how does this skill become a form of communication between Echo and her mother?
10. What is the opening action of this play, and what does this foreshadow?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)