|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Echo doing during scene 3?
(a) Echo is not in the scene.
(b) Echo is reading a book.
(c) Echo is spelling.
(d) Echo is playing in the sandbox.
2. What did Artie's mother want her to do when Artie was young?
(a) To study to become a doctor.
(b) To make a pair of wings.
(c) To try to fly with homemade wings.
(d) To spell "eleemosynary."
3. How does Dorothea feel about her husband?
(a) Dorothea loves him dearly.
(b) Dorothea feels no grief when he dies.
(c) Dorothea hates her husband.
(d) Dorothea feels pity for her husband.
4. Where in scene 3 does the audience feel sympathy for Dorothea?
(a) When Dorothea is tremendously ill.
(b) When Dorothea is pregnant with Artie.
(c) When Dorothea meets her husband.
(d) When Dorothea is forced into marriage and deprived of an education.
5. What does Dorothea value over motherhood?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Echo when the plays opens?
2. Which character re-enters in the middle of scene 3?
3. What is Artie's relationship to Dorothea?
4. Who raised Echo?
5. Scene 2 begins and ends with which character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the primary complication between the Westbrook women in this play?
2. Who ignited Echo's original love of words?
3. Who is Artie named after and how does this name match her personality?
4. How does Dorothea's choice to become an eccentric take away Artie's freedom?
5. Artie begins and ends scene two. What do we learn about the character?
6. Why does Artie feel her ability to remember everything is an inconvenience?
7. What skill does Echo have, and how does this skill become a form of communication between Echo and her mother?
8. In scene 1, Dorothea has had a stroke and is rendered mute. Why do you think Echo insists she can hear Dorothea?
9. Why does Artie feel that she was Dorothea's guinea pig as she grew up?
10. How does Dorothea force her value of education over motherhood on Artie?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)