|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorothea do after graduating from high school?
(a) She goes to college.
(b) She takes a job as a waitress.
(c) She marries.
(d) She becomes pregnant.
2. Who enters the first scene wearing wings?
(d) No one.
3. What did Echo and her mother talk about on the phone?
(a) Artie told Echo how to fly.
(b) Artie called out words for Echo to spell.
(c) Artie told Echo stories about her childhood.
(d) Artie asked questions about Dorothea.
4. What do the wings represent to Artie?
(a) Her terrible childhood with an eccentric, controlling mother.
(b) A wonderful time from her childhood.
(c) A way that she can finally fly.
(d) A gift from a loving mother.
5. Who says that a smart girl will never be married?
(b) Artie's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothea's husband promise her, but then does not fulfill?
2. How does Dorothea meet her husband?
3. The play's title is most relevant to which character?
4. How is Dorothea's health as the play opens?
5. Dorothea tries to _________________________ Artie.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dorothea force her value of education over motherhood on Artie?
2. Does Artie ever rebel from Dorothea?
3. Why do you think Dorothea felt little or no grief when her husband died?
4. How does Artie respond to Echo's question of whether or not she loves her?
5. Who is the controller in the play? Who is being controlled?
6. How is Artie's choice of seat at the Spelling Bee a metaphor for her life?
7. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
8. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
9. Why does Dorothea cut a lock of Artie's hair?
10. At what point in scene 3 do you think the audience loses sympathy for Dorothea?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)