|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Artie find employment at the end of scene 2?
(a) At a private school.
(b) At a small college.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) Artie can't find a job.
2. Who enters the first scene wearing wings?
(b) No one.
3. How is Dorothea's health as the play opens?
(a) Dorothea has had a stroke and is mute.
(b) Dorothea has a concussion from falling.
(c) Dorothea is in excellent health.
(d) Dorothea has a broken arm.
4. How did Artie's father feel about her having tutors?
(a) He was against it.
(b) He was indifferent about it.
(c) He was all for it.
(d) He felt she was not learning anything from them.
5. What is Echo doing during scene 3?
(a) Echo is reading a book.
(b) Echo is playing in the sandbox.
(c) Echo is spelling.
(d) Echo is not in the scene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dorothea marry her husband?
2. Artie has an inability to do what, regarding Echo?
3. How does Dorothea teach her granddaughter?
4. What is Echo's relationship to Dorothea?
5. In scene 3, which character does the audience meet more fully?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the purpose of this scene 3 is?
2. What is the opening action of this play, and what does this foreshadow?
3. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
4. Who is Artie named after and how does this name match her personality?
5. Why does Artie feel that she was Dorothea's guinea pig as she grew up?
6. What skill does Echo have, and how does this skill become a form of communication between Echo and her mother?
7. How is Dorothea's educational treatment of Echo similar to how she raised Artie?
8. How are the 3 main characters related to each other?
9. In scene 1, Dorothea has had a stroke and is rendered mute. Why do you think Echo insists she can hear Dorothea?
10. Why do you think Artie runs away instead of letting her mother send her to college?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)