|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the happy time that Dorothea recalls in her life?
(a) Going to college.
(b) Having her first child.
(c) Meeting the eccentric.
(d) Marrying her husband.
2. What can eccentricity do for Dorothea?
(a) Make her a better mother.
(b) Offer an escape from the mendacity of her life as well as an outlet for her creativity and intelligence.
(c) Be a way to finally get her education.
(d) Make her famous.
3. For Dorothea, eccentricity means _____________________her child.
(d) Having fun with.
4. What great skill does Echo have?
(a) Echo can run very fast.
(b) Echo is a great cook.
(c) Echo can fly with homemade wings.
(d) Echo is able to spell very well.
5. What does Dorothea convince Artie to do about her pregnancy?
(a) Dorothea is disappointed that Artie is so young, but is excited about having a grandchild.
(b) Dorothea convinces Artie to have an abortion so she can go to college as planned.
(c) Dorothea convinces Artie to have the baby at home.
(d) Dorothea convinces Artie to give the baby up for adoption.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of learning is Artie against?
2. When Dorothea changed her granddaughter's name, Echo was ___________.
3. What children do Dorothea and her husband have?
4. What trait does Artie say she has that makes her life so hard?
5. How does Artie teach her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the purpose of this scene 3 is?
2. Does Artie ever rebel from Dorothea?
3. Why do you think Artie is not worried about her own issues?
4. What skill does Echo have, and how does this skill become a form of communication between Echo and her mother?
5. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
6. What do you think the author's purpose was in having Echo spelling heard between Dorothea's recollections?
7. At what point in scene 3 do you think the audience loses sympathy for Dorothea?
8. Why does Artie feel that she was Dorothea's guinea pig as she grew up?
9. What does Artie admit is her own neurosis?
10. What are the basic relationships between the Westbrook women?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)