|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters the first scene wearing wings?
(b) No one.
2. What happened when Artie tried to fly?
(a) She flew around the yard.
(b) She refused to try.
(c) She failed.
(d) She started to fly, and then fell.
3. How does Artie teach her daughter?
(a) By talking about stories she has read.
(b) By making her do pages of math problems.
(c) By having her use words in a sentence to show that she knows what they mean.
(d) By quizzing her constantly on how to spell words.
4. In the opening of scene 2, what does Artie say concerns her the most?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her mother's health.
(c) Her own inability to touch others.
(d) Her fear of flying.
5. How is Dorothea's health as the play opens?
(a) Dorothea has a broken arm.
(b) Dorothea is in excellent health.
(c) Dorothea has had a stroke and is mute.
(d) Dorothea has a concussion from falling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Echo's relationship to Dorothea?
2. How do Echo and Dorothea communicate?
3. When Dorothea changed her granddaughter's name, Echo was ___________.
4. Which character ends scene 1?
5. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Echo have, and how does this skill become a form of communication between Echo and her mother?
2. Who ignited Echo's original love of words?
3. How does Dorothea's choice to become an eccentric take away Artie's freedom?
4. Why do you think Artie is unable to communicate effectively with her daughter?
5. Why do you think Dorothea felt little or no grief when her husband died?
6. Why is it ironic that Artie constantly drills spelling words to Echo?
7. Why do you think Artie is not worried about her own issues?
8. Does Artie ever rebel from Dorothea?
9. Why does Artie feel that she was Dorothea's guinea pig as she grew up?
10. Why do you think Artie runs away instead of letting her mother send her to college?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)