|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What children do Dorothea and her husband have?
(a) Two sons and Artie, her daughter.
(b) Echo and Artie.
(c) Just Artie.
(d) A boy and a girl named Artie.
2. What does Dorothea value over motherhood?
3. How does Dorothea teach her granddaughter?
(a) With banners of Latin and Greek letters.
(b) With a video tape.
(c) With a book of Shakespeare's plays.
(d) With a dictionary.
4. How is Dorothea's health as the play opens?
(a) Dorothea is in excellent health.
(b) Dorothea has had a stroke and is mute.
(c) Dorothea has a broken arm.
(d) Dorothea has a concussion from falling.
5. What happens on Artie's way back home at the end of scene 2?
(a) She is robbed.
(b) She gets in a terrible automobile accident.
(c) She becomes lost in the airport.
(d) She escapes through a restaurant window.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character ends scene 1?
2. Echo is obsessed with __________________.
3. Where in scene 3 does the audience feel sympathy for Dorothea?
4. In the opening of scene 2, what does Artie say concerns her the most?
5. What was Dorothea's childhood like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dorothea's educational treatment of Echo similar to how she raised Artie?
2. Artie begins and ends scene two. What do we learn about the character?
3. Does Artie ever rebel from Dorothea?
4. Who ignited Echo's original love of words?
5. What is the primary complication between the Westbrook women in this play?
6. Why does Artie feel that she was Dorothea's guinea pig as she grew up?
7. What are the basic relationships between the Westbrook women?
8. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
9. What is the opening action of this play, and what does this foreshadow?
10. Why do you think Artie is not worried about her own issues?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)