|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In scene 2 when the scene fades to black, where is the audience's attention redirected to?
(b) Artie's father.
2. At what point in scene 3 does the audience lose sympathy for Dorothea?
(a) When she endangers Artie by making her try to fly.
(b) When she is not sad when her husband dies.
(c) When she marries someone she does not love.
(d) When she chooses to be an eccentric.
3. In the opening of scene 2, what does Artie say concerns her the most?
(a) Her fear of flying.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) Her mother's health.
(d) Her own inability to touch others.
4. What method of learning is Artie against?
(b) Drill and practice.
(c) Comprehension of stories.
(d) Total recall.
5. How is Dorothea's health as the play opens?
(a) Dorothea has had a stroke and is mute.
(b) Dorothea has a broken arm.
(c) Dorothea is in excellent health.
(d) Dorothea has a concussion from falling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artie has an inability to do what, regarding Echo?
2. What is an eccentric?
3. What does Dorothea value over motherhood?
4. How does Artie communicate with her mother when her mother is mute?
5. Who opens scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Artie admit is her own neurosis?
2. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
3. Why does Artie feel that she was Dorothea's guinea pig as she grew up?
4. Does Artie ever rebel from Dorothea?
5. What do you think the purpose of this scene 3 is?
6. What do you think the author's purpose was in having Echo spelling heard between Dorothea's recollections?
7. Why do you think Artie is unable to communicate effectively with her daughter?
8. How does Dorothea force her value of education over motherhood on Artie?
9. Why does Artie feel her ability to remember everything is an inconvenience?
10. What skill does Echo have, and how does this skill become a form of communication between Echo and her mother?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)