|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Artie and Echo's conversations limited?
(a) Dorothea would not allow them to talk on the phone.
(b) Dorothea interupted their phone conversations.
(c) Artie did not know any other way to reach out to her daughter.
(d) Echo would only talk about one thing.
2. What great skill does Echo have?
(a) Echo can run very fast.
(b) Echo is a great cook.
(c) Echo is able to spell very well.
(d) Echo can fly with homemade wings.
3. What does Dorothea convince Artie to do about her pregnancy?
(a) Dorothea convinces Artie to have an abortion so she can go to college as planned.
(b) Dorothea convinces Artie to have the baby at home.
(c) Dorothea convinces Artie to give the baby up for adoption.
(d) Dorothea is disappointed that Artie is so young, but is excited about having a grandchild.
4. What children do Dorothea and her husband have?
(a) Two sons and Artie, her daughter.
(b) Just Artie.
(c) A boy and a girl named Artie.
(d) Echo and Artie.
5. How did Artie's father feel about her having tutors?
(a) He was indifferent about it.
(b) He felt she was not learning anything from them.
(c) He was all for it.
(d) He was against it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the play open?
2. What does Dorothea's husband promise her, but then does not fulfill?
3. How does Dorothea teach her granddaughter?
4. What method of learning is Artie against?
5. What happens on Artie's way back home at the end of scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dorothea force her value of education over motherhood on Artie?
2. Why do you think Dorothea felt little or no grief when her husband died?
3. Who ignited Echo's original love of words?
4. Why did Artie move and change her name so many times?
5. What does Artie admit is her own neurosis?
6. Why is Echo's spelling of the word "eleemosynary" ironic?
7. Why does Artie feel that she was Dorothea's guinea pig as she grew up?
8. Why do you think Echo said Artie was just a dead person when she called in scene 4?
9. What is the primary complication between the Westbrook women in this play?
10. What do you think the purpose of this scene 3 is?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)