|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
(a) Dorothea is upset because she feels having a child would ruin Artie's chance at an education.
(b) Dorothea wants Artie to get married before the baby is born.
(c) Dorothea is disappointed that Artie is so young, but is excited about having a grandchild.
(d) Dorothea is thrilled and cannot wait until the baby is born.
2. Dorothea tries to _________________________ Artie.
3. How does Artie teach her daughter?
(a) By quizzing her constantly on how to spell words.
(b) By having her use words in a sentence to show that she knows what they mean.
(c) By talking about stories she has read.
(d) By making her do pages of math problems.
4. Who made the wings that a character is wearing in the first scene?
(c) Echo's sister.
5. What did Echo and her mother talk about on the phone?
(a) Artie told Echo stories about her childhood.
(b) Artie asked questions about Dorothea.
(c) Artie called out words for Echo to spell.
(d) Artie told Echo how to fly.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Dorothea, eccentricity means _____________________her child.
2. What foreshadows the relationship between Echo and Artie in the first scene?
3. How many generations of women does this play cover?
4. How does the play open?
5. Echo is obsessed with __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the primary complication between the Westbrook women in this play?
2. How do Artie and Dorothea feel about Echo's winning of the spelling bee?
3. What happens to Artie when her mother reappears in her life?
4. Why does Artie feel her ability to remember everything is an inconvenience?
5. What do you think the purpose of this scene 3 is?
6. Who is Artie named after and how does this name match her personality?
7. Why do you think Dorothea felt little or no grief when her husband died?
8. After all her time away from Dorothea, why do you think Artie finally called her?
9. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
10. How are the 3 main characters related to each other?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)