|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Echo doing during scene 3?
(a) Echo is playing in the sandbox.
(b) Echo is spelling.
(c) Echo is reading a book.
(d) Echo is not in the scene.
2. Where does Artie find employment at the end of scene 2?
(a) At a small college.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) Artie can't find a job.
(d) At a private school.
3. In scene 3, when does the audience feel happy for Dorothea?
(a) When Dorothea goes to college.
(b) When Dorothea gets married.
(c) When Dorothea meets the eccentric.
(d) When Dorothea is pregnant with her son.
4. Dorothea tries to _________________________ Artie.
5. What was Dorothea's childhood like?
(a) Dorothea felt worthless and guilty growing up.
(b) Dorothea's parents doted on Dorothea.
(c) Dorothea had a wonderful childhood filled with love.
(d) Dorothea had lots of friends and was happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Artie tried to fly?
2. In scene 3, which character does the audience meet more fully?
3. Artie's fear is considered __________________________.
4. The play's title is most relevant to which character?
5. What do the wings represent to Artie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dorothea's final thoughts are about Artie who she rarely saw, rather than Echo who lived with her?
2. Why do you think Echo and Artie barely speak for the next two years?
3. How is Artie's burning of Dorothea's possessions foreshadowed earlier in the play?
4. In scene 1, Dorothea has had a stroke and is rendered mute. Why do you think Echo insists she can hear Dorothea?
5. What do all of the "educational stops " which the Westbrook women made have in common?
6. Do you think Artie realizes the importance of the spelling bee to Echo?
7. Do any of the characters show any eleemosynary?
8. Why do you think Dorothea has such high expectations of Artie?
9. Why is Echo's spelling of the word "eleemosynary" ironic?
10. Why do you think that Echo put on the wings in the beginning of scene 5?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)