|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Dorothea talks about her marriage, what topic does she talk about?
(a) Her first meeting of an eccentric.
(b) Her relationship with her father.
(c) Her great love for her daughter.
(d) Her knowledge base.
2. How does Artie teach her daughter?
(a) By quizzing her constantly on how to spell words.
(b) By talking about stories she has read.
(c) By having her use words in a sentence to show that she knows what they mean.
(d) By making her do pages of math problems.
3. How concerned is Artie about her fear?
(b) A little.
(c) Not at all.
4. What is Artie's relationship to Dorothea?
(a) Artie is Dorothea's father.
(b) Artie is Dorothea's daughter.
(c) Artie is Dorothea's husband.
(d) Artie is Dorothea's granddaughter.
5. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
(a) Dorothea wants Artie to get married before the baby is born.
(b) Dorothea is thrilled and cannot wait until the baby is born.
(c) Dorothea is upset because she feels having a child would ruin Artie's chance at an education.
(d) Dorothea is disappointed that Artie is so young, but is excited about having a grandchild.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Artie named after?
2. What did Artie's mother want her to do when Artie was young?
3. What is the relationship between the women in the family?
4. Who raised Echo?
5. After the picnic, what does Dorothea decide she should become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Artie is not worried about her own issues?
2. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
3. How does Dorothea's choice to become an eccentric take away Artie's freedom?
4. What are the basic relationships between the Westbrook women?
5. Why is it ironic that Artie constantly drills spelling words to Echo?
6. Who is the controller in the play? Who is being controlled?
7. What does Artie admit is her own neurosis?
8. Why does Artie feel her ability to remember everything is an inconvenience?
9. In scene 1, Dorothea has had a stroke and is rendered mute. Why do you think Echo insists she can hear Dorothea?
10. How are the 3 main characters related to each other?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)