|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorothea do to help Artie learn?
(a) She gives her a math test everyday.
(b) She calls words out for her to spell from the dictionary.
(c) She walks her to school each morning.
(d) She hires tutors.
2. Where in scene 3 does the audience feel sympathy for Dorothea?
(a) When Dorothea is forced into marriage and deprived of an education.
(b) When Dorothea is tremendously ill.
(c) When Dorothea meets her husband.
(d) When Dorothea is pregnant with Artie.
3. What happens on Artie's way back home at the end of scene 2?
(a) She becomes lost in the airport.
(b) She is robbed.
(c) She gets in a terrible automobile accident.
(d) She escapes through a restaurant window.
4. Who says that a smart girl will never be married?
(b) Artie's father.
5. How does Artie teach her daughter?
(a) By having her use words in a sentence to show that she knows what they mean.
(b) By making her do pages of math problems.
(c) By quizzing her constantly on how to spell words.
(d) By talking about stories she has read.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opens the third scene?
2. What happened when Artie tried to fly?
3. What does Dorothea convince Artie to do about her pregnancy?
4. How does Dorothea teach her granddaughter?
5. Who first taught Echo to love words?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the controller in the play? Who is being controlled?
2. What is the primary complication between the Westbrook women in this play?
3. Artie begins and ends scene two. What do we learn about the character?
4. Do you think Artie will be able to function away from her mother?
5. Why is it ironic that Artie constantly drills spelling words to Echo?
6. In scene 1, Dorothea has had a stroke and is rendered mute. Why do you think Echo insists she can hear Dorothea?
7. What skill does Echo have, and how does this skill become a form of communication between Echo and her mother?
8. Why do you think Artie runs away instead of letting her mother send her to college?
9. Why do you think Artie is not worried about her own issues?
10. What are the basic relationships between the Westbrook women?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)