|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did Artie run away?
(a) 1 time.
(b) 4 times.
(c) 3 times.
(d) 2 times.
2. How hard was it for Echo to get to the National Spelling Bee?
(a) She had to practice a lot.
(b) She only made it because another contestant became ill.
(c) She barely made it there.
(d) She got there easily.
3. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
(b) Disappointment and carefully controlled anger.
4. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
(a) She talks about Artie all the time.
(b) She keeps lots of pictures of Artie aound the house.
(c) She occasionally shows Echo pictures of her mother.
(d) She never does anyhting to help her remember Artie.
5. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
(a) In the seat next to Dorothea.
(b) In the seat directly behind Dorothea.
(c) Right up front so she can cheer on Echo.
(d) Far away from Dorothea so neither she nor Echo can see her.
6. Why aren't Artie and Dorothea happy about Echo winning?
(a) They think that Echo cheated.
(b) They didn't want Echo to think anything had changed between them.
(c) They wanted Echo to feel what it was like to lose.
(d) They feel sorry for the little boy Echo defeated.
7. In scene 4, what does Dorothea say to Artie when Artie calls to tell her where she has been?
(a) That she was no longer looking for her.
(b) That she loves her very much.
(c) That she has been looking for her everywhere.
(d) That she could not wait to see her.
8. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
(a) She is confident and spells them correctly.
(b) She pauses hesitantly after each letter, unsure of herself.
(c) She smiles bravely, but misspells her first word.
(d) She is nervous, but spells them correctly.
9. What does Dorothea do when she finds Artie tearing up the house?
(a) She makes Artie stay home from school to clean up.
(b) She sends Artie to a friends house while she cleans up.
(c) She gives her the lock of hair and says she never wants it back.
(d) She hugs Artie and asks her what is wrong.
10. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
(a) Echo is wearing the wings.
(b) Echo is sleeping.
(c) Echo is talking to her father.
(d) Echo is spelling out loud.
11. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
(a) Dorothea hangs up.
(b) They say good-bye, promising to talk again soon.
(c) They make plans to meet the next day.
(d) Artie hangs up.
12. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
(a) Artie was seven.
(b) Artie was in her thirties.
(c) Artie was eighteen.
(d) Artie was an infant.
13. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(b) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
(c) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
(d) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
14. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
(a) She puts in a locket which she wears.
(b) She throws it away.
(c) She puts in a frame in the living room.
(d) She hides it from Artie.
15. What does Artie accomplish on her own?
(a) She raises her daughter on her own.
(b) She opens her own restaurant.
(c) She puts herself through college.
(d) She writes a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many names did Artie take on to keep from being found?
2. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
3. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
4. After all her name-changes and moves, what was Artie finally ready to to?
5. Why does Echo feel such kinship to Dorothea?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)