|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Echo do as Artie leaves the auditorium after the spelling bee?
(a) Begs her to stay.
(b) Smiles and waves good bye.
(c) Runs after her.
(d) Cries openly.
2. How many times did Artie run away?
(a) 4 times.
(b) 3 times.
(c) 1 time.
(d) 2 times.
3. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Echo believe?
(a) That Dorothea's coma is Artie's fault.
(b) That Dorothea cannot hear them in her coma.
(c) That Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(d) That Dorothea will never recover.
4. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
(a) She is confident and spells them correctly.
(b) She smiles bravely, but misspells her first word.
(c) She pauses hesitantly after each letter, unsure of herself.
(d) She is nervous, but spells them correctly.
5. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She never contacts Echo.
(b) She write her a letter everyday.
(c) She asks Echo to meet her.
(d) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
6. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
(a) Artie thought her mother was a movie star.
(b) Artie thought she didn't have a mother.
(c) Artie thought her mother was in jail.
(d) Artie never gave her mother any thought.
7. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
(a) She has an out of town meeting.
(b) Her car is broken down and she cannot get there.
(c) She cannot leave her research.
(d) She is afraid she will make Echo nervous.
8. What is Echo's final word in the spelling bee?
9. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
(a) A week later.
(b) After Echo is born.
(c) A month later.
(d) A year later.
10. What is a "vortex"?
(a) An unusually shaped building.
(b) A space in which natural laws of physics are inverted.
(c) A very large race track.
(d) The center of a circle.
11. What happens when Echo is seven?
(a) Artie remarries and takes Echo back to live with her.
(b) Artie gets a job 50 miles away from her.
(c) Echo runs away.
(d) Artie moves back in the house with Dorothea and Echo.
12. When Artie calls her daughter on the phone, what does Echo tell Dorothea about the phone call?
(a) That it was a sales call.
(b) That it was from a dead person.
(c) That is was a wrong number.
(d) That it was from her father.
13. How hard was it for Echo to get to the National Spelling Bee?
(a) She barely made it there.
(b) She only made it because another contestant became ill.
(c) She had to practice a lot.
(d) She got there easily.
14. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
(b) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
(c) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
(d) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
15. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
(a) Artie had gum in her hair and she was cutting it out.
(b) Dorothea says it will always be a connection to her daughter, Artie.
(c) She was giving Artie a hair cut.
(d) She wanted to compare Artie's hair with her own.
Short Answer Questions
1. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Artie believe?
2. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
3. How many names did Artie take on to keep from being found?
4. What did Artie do right after kissing Dorothea after the spelling bee?
5. What news does Artie have for her mother when she calls her for the second time in scene 4?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)