|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(b) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
(c) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
(d) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
2. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
(a) Dorothea hangs up.
(b) They make plans to meet the next day.
(c) Artie hangs up.
(d) They say good-bye, promising to talk again soon.
3. Artie considered going to the spelling bee as her ___________.
4. What does Artie accomplish on her own?
(a) She raises her daughter on her own.
(b) She writes a book.
(c) She opens her own restaurant.
(d) She puts herself through college.
5. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
(c) Disappointment and carefully controlled anger.
6. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
(a) So she would only remember the good about people and "echo" it back.
(b) Because she liked the sound of it.
(c) Because her own mother was named Echo, and she loved her very much.
(d) So that she would have a good memory and "echo" back her knowledge.
7. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
(a) She puts in a locket which she wears.
(b) She throws it away.
(c) She hides it from Artie.
(d) She puts in a frame in the living room.
8. When Artie calls her daughter on the phone, what does Echo tell Dorothea about the phone call?
(a) That it was from a dead person.
(b) That it was from her father.
(c) That it was a sales call.
(d) That is was a wrong number.
9. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She write her a letter everyday.
(b) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
(c) She asks Echo to meet her.
(d) She never contacts Echo.
10. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
(a) Right up front so she can cheer on Echo.
(b) In the seat next to Dorothea.
(c) Far away from Dorothea so neither she nor Echo can see her.
(d) In the seat directly behind Dorothea.
11. What news does Artie have for her mother when she calls her for the second time in scene 4?
(a) She has flunked out of college.
(b) She is married to a professor, is about to finish her graduate degree in BioChem, and is pregnant.
(c) She is sick and needs help.
(d) She is unmarried and pregnant.
12. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
(a) She feels uncomfortable standing in a circle.
(b) She does not like the loud noise of racecars.
(c) It disturbs her because she does not like rules to be broken.
(d) She thought the building might fall down with her in it.
13. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
(a) They drove there after Echo's father died.
(b) They took Echo on her first plane ride to get there.
(c) They hitchhiked across the country.
(d) They took a bus.
14. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
(a) She occasionally shows Echo pictures of her mother.
(b) She keeps lots of pictures of Artie aound the house.
(c) She talks about Artie all the time.
(d) She never does anyhting to help her remember Artie.
15. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
(a) Dorothea is taking a walk in the park.
(b) Dorothea is teaching Artie her alphabet.
(c) Dorothea is in a coma in a hospital bed.
(d) Dorothea is teaching Echo her alphabet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
2. What is Artie's response to Dorothea being back in her life?
3. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
4. What is a "vortex"?
5. What kind of winner was Echo?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)