|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Echo happy to hear the word "eleemosynary" at the spelling bee?
(a) Her mother loved the word.
(b) It was the longest word she knew.
(c) It is her favorite word.
(d) She had never heard it before, but could sound it out.
2. What is Artie's response to Dorothea being back in her life?
(a) She is jealous of her mother's relationship with her husband.
(b) She is very grateful to have her mother's help.
(c) She is overjoyed to be back in her mother's life.
(d) Seeing Dorothea brings back all the trauma of her childhood.
3. How many names did Artie take on to keep from being found?
(a) 4 names.
(b) 8 names.
(c) 2 names.
(d) 3 names.
4. What does Artie accomplish on her own?
(a) She raises her daughter on her own.
(b) She puts herself through college.
(c) She writes a book.
(d) She opens her own restaurant.
5. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
(a) Getting home as quickly as possible.
(b) Making educational stops for Echo.
(c) Shopping in stores along the way.
(d) Eating in 5-star restaurants.
6. How does Artie tell Echo about the National Spelling Bee?
(a) At the book fair.
(b) Over the phone.
(c) She tells her about it over lunch at the deli.
(d) At Dorothea's house.
7. Why does Artie give Dorothea a kiss after the spelling bee?
(a) She wanted to cheer up Dorothea.
(b) She really loves her mother and wants to show it.
(c) Echo asked her to do it.
(d) She wants to show fake affection for Echo's sake.
8. Why aren't Artie and Dorothea happy about Echo winning?
(a) They think that Echo cheated.
(b) They wanted Echo to feel what it was like to lose.
(c) They feel sorry for the little boy Echo defeated.
(d) They didn't want Echo to think anything had changed between them.
9. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
(a) She cannot leave her research.
(b) Her car is broken down and she cannot get there.
(c) She is afraid she will make Echo nervous.
(d) She has an out of town meeting.
10. What does Artie inform Dorothea of after the spelling bee?
(a) That she never wanted to see Echo again.
(b) They must talk to Echo about her behavior.
(c) That she was taking Echo to live with her.
(d) They must share a familial kiss for Echo.
11. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
(a) She was giving Artie a hair cut.
(b) Dorothea says it will always be a connection to her daughter, Artie.
(c) She wanted to compare Artie's hair with her own.
(d) Artie had gum in her hair and she was cutting it out.
12. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(b) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
(c) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
(d) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
13. Artie considered going to the spelling bee as her ___________.
14. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
(a) Echo is wearing the wings.
(b) Echo is spelling out loud.
(c) Echo is talking to her father.
(d) Echo is sleeping.
15. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
(b) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
(c) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
(d) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
2. What does Echo feel when her opponent crumbles?
3. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
4. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
5. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)