|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Artie believe?
(a) That Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(b) That Dorothea needs them to intereact with her.
(c) That Dorothea is a vegetable.
(d) That Dorothea's coma is her fault.
2. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
(a) Dorothea thinks Echo can fly.
(b) Dorothea says Echo is a great speller.
(c) Dorothea says Echo reminds her of herself.
(d) Dorothea says Echo is bright and already knows some Greek words.
3. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
(a) She needs help to get well.
(b) She will need help with the baby.
(c) She needs help finding an apartment.
(d) She needs her help to find a job.
4. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
(a) 5 times.
(b) 10 times.
(c) 3 times.
(d) 17 times.
5. What does Artie inform Dorothea of after the spelling bee?
(a) They must share a familial kiss for Echo.
(b) That she was taking Echo to live with her.
(c) That she never wanted to see Echo again.
(d) They must talk to Echo about her behavior.
6. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
(a) Echo is talking to her father.
(b) Echo is sleeping.
(c) Echo is spelling out loud.
(d) Echo is wearing the wings.
7. How many times did Artie run away?
(a) 1 time.
(b) 3 times.
(c) 4 times.
(d) 2 times.
8. What does Echo do as Artie leaves the auditorium after the spelling bee?
(a) Begs her to stay.
(b) Runs after her.
(c) Cries openly.
(d) Smiles and waves good bye.
9. Why was Echo happy to hear the word "eleemosynary" at the spelling bee?
(a) She had never heard it before, but could sound it out.
(b) It is her favorite word.
(c) Her mother loved the word.
(d) It was the longest word she knew.
10. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
(a) Artie thought her mother was a movie star.
(b) Artie never gave her mother any thought.
(c) Artie thought her mother was in jail.
(d) Artie thought she didn't have a mother.
11. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She write her a letter everyday.
(b) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
(c) She never contacts Echo.
(d) She asks Echo to meet her.
12. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
(b) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
(c) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
(d) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
13. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
(a) To visit Echo on a weekly basis.
(b) To mend her relationship with Dorothea.
(c) To call her daughter more often.
(d) To practice her own spelling.
14. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
(a) Artie was an infant.
(b) Artie was eighteen.
(c) Artie was in her thirties.
(d) Artie was seven.
15. What is the difference between the little boy losing and Echo losing, from Echo's perspective?
(a) The little boy would lose the competition, while Echo would lose her home.
(b) If the little boy won, Echo would finally get her family's sympathy.
(c) The little boy would just lose, while Echo would fail to reunite her family.
(d) Echo would not have another chance at winning, but the little boy was younger and would have more opportunities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
2. What did Echo remember about the trip back east?
3. Where does Dorothea live?
4. After all her name-changes and moves, what was Artie finally ready to to?
5. What is Echo's plan for the spelling bee?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)