|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
(a) Artie was seven.
(b) Artie was in her thirties.
(c) Artie was an infant.
(d) Artie was eighteen.
2. What does Echo do as Artie leaves the auditorium after the spelling bee?
(a) Cries openly.
(b) Runs after her.
(c) Begs her to stay.
(d) Smiles and waves good bye.
3. What kind of winner was Echo?
(a) Quiet, but proud.
(b) Grateful and kind.
(c) Obnoxious and cruel.
(d) Quiet and unassuming.
4. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
(a) 5 times.
(b) 10 times.
(c) 17 times.
(d) 3 times.
5. What is the difference between the little boy losing and Echo losing, from Echo's perspective?
(a) Echo would not have another chance at winning, but the little boy was younger and would have more opportunities.
(b) If the little boy won, Echo would finally get her family's sympathy.
(c) The little boy would just lose, while Echo would fail to reunite her family.
(d) The little boy would lose the competition, while Echo would lose her home.
6. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
(a) She thought the building might fall down with her in it.
(b) She feels uncomfortable standing in a circle.
(c) It disturbs her because she does not like rules to be broken.
(d) She does not like the loud noise of racecars.
7. How hard was it for Echo to get to the National Spelling Bee?
(a) She only made it because another contestant became ill.
(b) She had to practice a lot.
(c) She barely made it there.
(d) She got there easily.
8. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
(a) In a restaurant.
(b) At the movies.
(c) At a book fair.
(d) In the mall.
9. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
(a) Artie thought her mother was in jail.
(b) Artie never gave her mother any thought.
(c) Artie thought her mother was a movie star.
(d) Artie thought she didn't have a mother.
10. What is Echo's plan for the spelling bee?
(a) To have both her mother and grandmother come to the spelling bee and be reunited.
(b) To win the spelling bee.
(c) To run away at the spelling bee.
(d) To intentionally lose the spelling bee to gain her mother's pity.
11. Why aren't Artie and Dorothea happy about Echo winning?
(a) They wanted Echo to feel what it was like to lose.
(b) They didn't want Echo to think anything had changed between them.
(c) They think that Echo cheated.
(d) They feel sorry for the little boy Echo defeated.
12. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
(a) Eating in 5-star restaurants.
(b) Getting home as quickly as possible.
(c) Shopping in stores along the way.
(d) Making educational stops for Echo.
13. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
(b) She asks Echo to meet her.
(c) She never contacts Echo.
(d) She write her a letter everyday.
14. What happens when Echo is seven?
(a) Artie remarries and takes Echo back to live with her.
(b) Artie gets a job 50 miles away from her.
(c) Artie moves back in the house with Dorothea and Echo.
(d) Echo runs away.
15. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Artie believe?
(a) That Dorothea needs them to intereact with her.
(b) That Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(c) That Dorothea is a vegetable.
(d) That Dorothea's coma is her fault.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets up after the spelling bee?
2. What did Artie do right after kissing Dorothea after the spelling bee?
3. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
4. How does Artie tell Echo about the National Spelling Bee?
5. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)