|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
(b) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
(c) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
(d) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
2. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
(a) She puts in a frame in the living room.
(b) She hides it from Artie.
(c) She throws it away.
(d) She puts in a locket which she wears.
3. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
(a) A really good chance, if she lost.
(b) A really good chance, if she won.
(c) No chance at all.
(d) A great chance, just by getting everyone together.
4. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
(a) So she would only remember the good about people and "echo" it back.
(b) Because her own mother was named Echo, and she loved her very much.
(c) So that she would have a good memory and "echo" back her knowledge.
(d) Because she liked the sound of it.
5. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
(a) She was giving Artie a hair cut.
(b) Artie had gum in her hair and she was cutting it out.
(c) She wanted to compare Artie's hair with her own.
(d) Dorothea says it will always be a connection to her daughter, Artie.
6. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
(a) That she is confident.
(b) That she grant forgiveness.
(c) That she speaks her mind.
(d) That she is well-educated.
7. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
(a) After Echo is born.
(b) A week later.
(c) A year later.
(d) A month later.
8. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
(a) Echo is sleeping.
(b) Echo is wearing the wings.
(c) Echo is spelling out loud.
(d) Echo is talking to her father.
9. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She is searching for the lock of hair.
(b) She is looking for the homemade wings.
(c) She was looking for her favorite book.
(d) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
10. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She write her a letter everyday.
(b) She never contacts Echo.
(c) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
(d) She asks Echo to meet her.
11. Why aren't Artie and Dorothea happy about Echo winning?
(a) They feel sorry for the little boy Echo defeated.
(b) They didn't want Echo to think anything had changed between them.
(c) They wanted Echo to feel what it was like to lose.
(d) They think that Echo cheated.
12. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
(a) Her car is broken down and she cannot get there.
(b) She cannot leave her research.
(c) She is afraid she will make Echo nervous.
(d) She has an out of town meeting.
13. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
(a) She wants her grandmother to be proud of her.
(b) She wants her mother to be proud of her.
(c) She wants the prize for winning.
(d) She thinks it will reunite her mother and grandmother.
14. Where does Dorothea live?
(a) In a house near Artie.
(b) About an hour away from Artie's house.
(c) In an apartment in Artie's building.
(d) In a house next door to Artie.
15. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
(a) Shopping in stores along the way.
(b) Making educational stops for Echo.
(c) Eating in 5-star restaurants.
(d) Getting home as quickly as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
2. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
3. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Artie believe?
4. After all her name-changes and moves, what was Artie finally ready to to?
5. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)