|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Artie do when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
(a) She gives her a big hug.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She has lunch with her.
(d) She apologizes for abandoning her and asks for forgiveness.
2. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She write her a letter everyday.
(b) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
(c) She never contacts Echo.
(d) She asks Echo to meet her.
3. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
(a) She occasionally shows Echo pictures of her mother.
(b) She keeps lots of pictures of Artie aound the house.
(c) She talks about Artie all the time.
(d) She never does anyhting to help her remember Artie.
4. Where does Dorothea live?
(a) In an apartment in Artie's building.
(b) In a house near Artie.
(c) About an hour away from Artie's house.
(d) In a house next door to Artie.
5. How was Artie able to overcome her childhood?
(a) By having a baby to love.
(b) By remembering how much her mother really loved her.
(c) By focusing only on her husband and her work.
(d) By forgiving her mother's eccentricity.
6. What is the difference between the little boy losing and Echo losing, from Echo's perspective?
(a) The little boy would just lose, while Echo would fail to reunite her family.
(b) The little boy would lose the competition, while Echo would lose her home.
(c) If the little boy won, Echo would finally get her family's sympathy.
(d) Echo would not have another chance at winning, but the little boy was younger and would have more opportunities.
7. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
(a) That she speaks her mind.
(b) That she grant forgiveness.
(c) That she is confident.
(d) That she is well-educated.
8. What does Dorothea do when she finds Artie tearing up the house?
(a) She makes Artie stay home from school to clean up.
(b) She sends Artie to a friends house while she cleans up.
(c) She hugs Artie and asks her what is wrong.
(d) She gives her the lock of hair and says she never wants it back.
9. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
(a) Artie thought her mother was in jail.
(b) Artie never gave her mother any thought.
(c) Artie thought she didn't have a mother.
(d) Artie thought her mother was a movie star.
10. How does Artie feel when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
(c) Pure joy.
11. Why aren't Artie and Dorothea happy about Echo winning?
(a) They wanted Echo to feel what it was like to lose.
(b) They didn't want Echo to think anything had changed between them.
(c) They feel sorry for the little boy Echo defeated.
(d) They think that Echo cheated.
12. What does Artie inform Dorothea of after the spelling bee?
(a) That she never wanted to see Echo again.
(b) They must talk to Echo about her behavior.
(c) That she was taking Echo to live with her.
(d) They must share a familial kiss for Echo.
13. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
(a) She does not like the loud noise of racecars.
(b) She thought the building might fall down with her in it.
(c) It disturbs her because she does not like rules to be broken.
(d) She feels uncomfortable standing in a circle.
14. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
(a) She cannot leave her research.
(b) She has an out of town meeting.
(c) She is afraid she will make Echo nervous.
(d) Her car is broken down and she cannot get there.
15. How does Artie tell Echo about the National Spelling Bee?
(a) She tells her about it over lunch at the deli.
(b) At Dorothea's house.
(c) At the book fair.
(d) Over the phone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
2. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
3. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
4. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
5. What did Echo remember about the trip back east?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)