|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 6, how does Artie communicate with her daughter after seeing her?
(a) She calls her to help her study spelling.
(b) She breaks off all communication.
(c) She visits her once a month.
(d) She writes her letters once a week.
2. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
(a) She was giving Artie a hair cut.
(b) Dorothea says it will always be a connection to her daughter, Artie.
(c) She wanted to compare Artie's hair with her own.
(d) Artie had gum in her hair and she was cutting it out.
3. What does Artie do when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
(a) She has lunch with her.
(b) She apologizes for abandoning her and asks for forgiveness.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She gives her a big hug.
4. What is the difference between the little boy losing and Echo losing, from Echo's perspective?
(a) The little boy would lose the competition, while Echo would lose her home.
(b) Echo would not have another chance at winning, but the little boy was younger and would have more opportunities.
(c) If the little boy won, Echo would finally get her family's sympathy.
(d) The little boy would just lose, while Echo would fail to reunite her family.
5. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
(a) Dorothea is teaching Artie her alphabet.
(b) Dorothea is taking a walk in the park.
(c) Dorothea is teaching Echo her alphabet.
(d) Dorothea is in a coma in a hospital bed.
6. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
(a) She thought it looked like a great story.
(b) Dorothea had told her the story.
(c) Artie recommended it to her when she called.
(d) She saw her mother looking at it.
7. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
(a) Shopping in stores along the way.
(b) Getting home as quickly as possible.
(c) Eating in 5-star restaurants.
(d) Making educational stops for Echo.
8. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
(a) A great chance, just by getting everyone together.
(b) A really good chance, if she won.
(c) No chance at all.
(d) A really good chance, if she lost.
9. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
(a) 10 times.
(b) 5 times.
(c) 17 times.
(d) 3 times.
10. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
(a) So that she would have a good memory and "echo" back her knowledge.
(b) Because she liked the sound of it.
(c) Because her own mother was named Echo, and she loved her very much.
(d) So she would only remember the good about people and "echo" it back.
11. What does Artie inform Dorothea of after the spelling bee?
(a) They must share a familial kiss for Echo.
(b) They must talk to Echo about her behavior.
(c) That she never wanted to see Echo again.
(d) That she was taking Echo to live with her.
12. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
(a) Artie never gave her mother any thought.
(b) Artie thought her mother was in jail.
(c) Artie thought she didn't have a mother.
(d) Artie thought her mother was a movie star.
13. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
(a) She smiles bravely, but misspells her first word.
(b) She is nervous, but spells them correctly.
(c) She is confident and spells them correctly.
(d) She pauses hesitantly after each letter, unsure of herself.
14. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She was looking for her favorite book.
(b) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
(c) She is looking for the homemade wings.
(d) She is searching for the lock of hair.
15. What happens when Echo is seven?
(a) Artie moves back in the house with Dorothea and Echo.
(b) Echo runs away.
(c) Artie gets a job 50 miles away from her.
(d) Artie remarries and takes Echo back to live with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
2. Why aren't Artie and Dorothea happy about Echo winning?
3. How does Artie feel when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
4. Why does Echo feel such kinship to Dorothea?
5. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)