|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
(a) She hides it from Artie.
(b) She throws it away.
(c) She puts in a locket which she wears.
(d) She puts in a frame in the living room.
2. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
(a) To mend her relationship with Dorothea.
(b) To call her daughter more often.
(c) To visit Echo on a weekly basis.
(d) To practice her own spelling.
3. What is Artie's response to Dorothea being back in her life?
(a) She is jealous of her mother's relationship with her husband.
(b) She is overjoyed to be back in her mother's life.
(c) Seeing Dorothea brings back all the trauma of her childhood.
(d) She is very grateful to have her mother's help.
4. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
(a) They drove there after Echo's father died.
(b) They hitchhiked across the country.
(c) They took Echo on her first plane ride to get there.
(d) They took a bus.
5. What happens when Echo is seven?
(a) Echo runs away.
(b) Artie moves back in the house with Dorothea and Echo.
(c) Artie gets a job 50 miles away from her.
(d) Artie remarries and takes Echo back to live with her.
6. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
(b) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
(c) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
(d) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
7. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
(a) Shopping in stores along the way.
(b) Making educational stops for Echo.
(c) Eating in 5-star restaurants.
(d) Getting home as quickly as possible.
8. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
(a) A week later.
(b) A month later.
(c) After Echo is born.
(d) A year later.
9. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
(a) Echo is wearing the wings.
(b) Echo is sleeping.
(c) Echo is talking to her father.
(d) Echo is spelling out loud.
10. What is Echo's plan for the spelling bee?
(a) To win the spelling bee.
(b) To have both her mother and grandmother come to the spelling bee and be reunited.
(c) To run away at the spelling bee.
(d) To intentionally lose the spelling bee to gain her mother's pity.
11. How many times did Artie run away?
(a) 1 time.
(b) 4 times.
(c) 3 times.
(d) 2 times.
12. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
(a) Dorothea is teaching Artie her alphabet.
(b) Dorothea is teaching Echo her alphabet.
(c) Dorothea is in a coma in a hospital bed.
(d) Dorothea is taking a walk in the park.
13. What does Echo feel when her opponent crumbles?
(a) She is appalled by his behavior.
(b) She thinks he is over reacting.
(c) She doesn't even notice.
(d) She feels sorry for him.
14. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
(a) Artie recommended it to her when she called.
(b) She thought it looked like a great story.
(c) She saw her mother looking at it.
(d) Dorothea had told her the story.
15. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
(a) She is nervous, but spells them correctly.
(b) She is confident and spells them correctly.
(c) She pauses hesitantly after each letter, unsure of herself.
(d) She smiles bravely, but misspells her first word.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
2. What is the difference between the little boy losing and Echo losing, from Echo's perspective?
3. What does Artie accomplish on her own?
4. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
5. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)