|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
(b) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
(c) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(d) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
2. How was Artie able to overcome her childhood?
(a) By forgiving her mother's eccentricity.
(b) By having a baby to love.
(c) By focusing only on her husband and her work.
(d) By remembering how much her mother really loved her.
3. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
(a) It disturbs her because she does not like rules to be broken.
(b) She feels uncomfortable standing in a circle.
(c) She thought the building might fall down with her in it.
(d) She does not like the loud noise of racecars.
4. What is a "vortex"?
(a) A space in which natural laws of physics are inverted.
(b) A very large race track.
(c) The center of a circle.
(d) An unusually shaped building.
5. How many times did Artie say she moved?
(a) 4 times.
(b) 3 times.
(c) 2 times.
(d) 8 times.
6. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
(a) 3 times.
(b) 17 times.
(c) 5 times.
(d) 10 times.
7. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She is looking for the homemade wings.
(b) She was looking for her favorite book.
(c) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
(d) She is searching for the lock of hair.
8. What is the difference between the little boy losing and Echo losing, from Echo's perspective?
(a) Echo would not have another chance at winning, but the little boy was younger and would have more opportunities.
(b) The little boy would lose the competition, while Echo would lose her home.
(c) The little boy would just lose, while Echo would fail to reunite her family.
(d) If the little boy won, Echo would finally get her family's sympathy.
9. What happens when Echo is seven?
(a) Echo runs away.
(b) Artie gets a job 50 miles away from her.
(c) Artie remarries and takes Echo back to live with her.
(d) Artie moves back in the house with Dorothea and Echo.
10. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
(a) They hitchhiked across the country.
(b) They took a bus.
(c) They took Echo on her first plane ride to get there.
(d) They drove there after Echo's father died.
11. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She never contacts Echo.
(b) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
(c) She write her a letter everyday.
(d) She asks Echo to meet her.
12. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
(a) She keeps lots of pictures of Artie aound the house.
(b) She never does anyhting to help her remember Artie.
(c) She occasionally shows Echo pictures of her mother.
(d) She talks about Artie all the time.
13. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
(a) Shopping in stores along the way.
(b) Getting home as quickly as possible.
(c) Eating in 5-star restaurants.
(d) Making educational stops for Echo.
14. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
(a) She throws it away.
(b) She hides it from Artie.
(c) She puts in a locket which she wears.
(d) She puts in a frame in the living room.
15. What are Echo and Artie arguing about in the beginning of scene 4?
(a) About Echo's education.
(b) About Artie leaving Echo as a child.
(c) Whether or not Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(d) About who should take care of Dorothea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets up after the spelling bee?
2. When Artie calls her daughter on the phone, what does Echo tell Dorothea about the phone call?
3. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
4. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
5. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)