|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
(a) That she is well-educated.
(b) That she speaks her mind.
(c) That she grant forgiveness.
(d) That she is confident.
2. How does Artie and Echo's argument end?
(a) They agree to disagree, and both sit with Dorothea.
(b) Echo convinces Artie to talk to Dorothea.
(c) Artie leaves in frustration.
(d) Echo leaves in frustration.
3. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She write her a letter everyday.
(b) She never contacts Echo.
(c) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
(d) She asks Echo to meet her.
4. How many names did Artie take on to keep from being found?
(a) 4 names.
(b) 3 names.
(c) 2 names.
(d) 8 names.
5. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
(a) It disturbs her because she does not like rules to be broken.
(b) She does not like the loud noise of racecars.
(c) She thought the building might fall down with her in it.
(d) She feels uncomfortable standing in a circle.
6. After Artie accidentally sees Echo in scene 5, what does she suggest to Echo?
(a) That Echo and Dorothea come and visit her.
(b) That Echo try out for the National Spelling Bee.
(c) That Echo now come to live with her.
(d) That they have dinner together and talk about Echo's schooling.
7. How hard was it for Echo to get to the National Spelling Bee?
(a) She had to practice a lot.
(b) She barely made it there.
(c) She got there easily.
(d) She only made it because another contestant became ill.
8. What is Artie's response to Dorothea being back in her life?
(a) She is very grateful to have her mother's help.
(b) Seeing Dorothea brings back all the trauma of her childhood.
(c) She is jealous of her mother's relationship with her husband.
(d) She is overjoyed to be back in her mother's life.
9. After all her name-changes and moves, what was Artie finally ready to to?
(a) Come home.
(b) Get a real job.
(c) Contact her mother, Dorothea.
(d) Try to fly again.
10. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
(a) Echo is talking to her father.
(b) Echo is wearing the wings.
(c) Echo is sleeping.
(d) Echo is spelling out loud.
11. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Echo believe?
(a) That Dorothea's coma is Artie's fault.
(b) That Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(c) That Dorothea will never recover.
(d) That Dorothea cannot hear them in her coma.
12. What news does Artie have for her mother when she calls her for the second time in scene 4?
(a) She has flunked out of college.
(b) She is married to a professor, is about to finish her graduate degree in BioChem, and is pregnant.
(c) She is sick and needs help.
(d) She is unmarried and pregnant.
13. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
(a) In a restaurant.
(b) In the mall.
(c) At the movies.
(d) At a book fair.
14. What is a "vortex"?
(a) A very large race track.
(b) A space in which natural laws of physics are inverted.
(c) An unusually shaped building.
(d) The center of a circle.
15. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
(a) Dorothea is taking a walk in the park.
(b) Dorothea is teaching Echo her alphabet.
(c) Dorothea is teaching Artie her alphabet.
(d) Dorothea is in a coma in a hospital bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
2. How does Artie feel when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
3. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
4. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
5. Why does Echo feel such kinship to Dorothea?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)