|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dorothea live?
(a) In a house next door to Artie.
(b) In a house near Artie.
(c) About an hour away from Artie's house.
(d) In an apartment in Artie's building.
2. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
(a) To practice her own spelling.
(b) To visit Echo on a weekly basis.
(c) To mend her relationship with Dorothea.
(d) To call her daughter more often.
3. Why aren't Artie and Dorothea happy about Echo winning?
(a) They wanted Echo to feel what it was like to lose.
(b) They feel sorry for the little boy Echo defeated.
(c) They think that Echo cheated.
(d) They didn't want Echo to think anything had changed between them.
4. After Artie accidentally sees Echo in scene 5, what does she suggest to Echo?
(a) That they have dinner together and talk about Echo's schooling.
(b) That Echo try out for the National Spelling Bee.
(c) That Echo and Dorothea come and visit her.
(d) That Echo now come to live with her.
5. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
(a) A month later.
(b) After Echo is born.
(c) A year later.
(d) A week later.
6. In Scene 6, how does Artie communicate with her daughter after seeing her?
(a) She breaks off all communication.
(b) She visits her once a month.
(c) She writes her letters once a week.
(d) She calls her to help her study spelling.
7. When Artie calls her daughter on the phone, what does Echo tell Dorothea about the phone call?
(a) That it was from a dead person.
(b) That it was a sales call.
(c) That it was from her father.
(d) That is was a wrong number.
8. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
(a) That she is well-educated.
(b) That she is confident.
(c) That she speaks her mind.
(d) That she grant forgiveness.
9. In scene 4, what does Dorothea say to Artie when Artie calls to tell her where she has been?
(a) That she has been looking for her everywhere.
(b) That she could not wait to see her.
(c) That she was no longer looking for her.
(d) That she loves her very much.
10. How many times did Artie say she moved?
(a) 3 times.
(b) 4 times.
(c) 2 times.
(d) 8 times.
11. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Artie believe?
(a) That Dorothea's coma is her fault.
(b) That Dorothea needs them to intereact with her.
(c) That Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(d) That Dorothea is a vegetable.
12. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
(a) Dorothea says Echo is a great speller.
(b) Dorothea thinks Echo can fly.
(c) Dorothea says Echo is bright and already knows some Greek words.
(d) Dorothea says Echo reminds her of herself.
13. What does Artie inform Dorothea of after the spelling bee?
(a) They must share a familial kiss for Echo.
(b) That she was taking Echo to live with her.
(c) That she never wanted to see Echo again.
(d) They must talk to Echo about her behavior.
14. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She is looking for the homemade wings.
(b) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
(c) She is searching for the lock of hair.
(d) She was looking for her favorite book.
15. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
(a) Because her own mother was named Echo, and she loved her very much.
(b) So that she would have a good memory and "echo" back her knowledge.
(c) So she would only remember the good about people and "echo" it back.
(d) Because she liked the sound of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
2. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Echo believe?
3. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
4. What does Echo do as Artie leaves the auditorium after the spelling bee?
5. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)