|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
(a) She wants the prize for winning.
(b) She wants her grandmother to be proud of her.
(c) She thinks it will reunite her mother and grandmother.
(d) She wants her mother to be proud of her.
2. How does Echo's family feel about her winning the spelling bee?
(b) United in their pride and happiness.
(c) Upset at how she treated her opponent.
(d) Very proud.
3. In Scene 6, how does Artie communicate with her daughter after seeing her?
(a) She writes her letters once a week.
(b) She breaks off all communication.
(c) She calls her to help her study spelling.
(d) She visits her once a month.
4. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
(a) In the seat next to Dorothea.
(b) In the seat directly behind Dorothea.
(c) Far away from Dorothea so neither she nor Echo can see her.
(d) Right up front so she can cheer on Echo.
5. Artie considered going to the spelling bee as her ___________.
6. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
(a) In the mall.
(b) At a book fair.
(c) At the movies.
(d) In a restaurant.
7. What does Dorothea do when she finds Artie tearing up the house?
(a) She sends Artie to a friends house while she cleans up.
(b) She gives her the lock of hair and says she never wants it back.
(c) She hugs Artie and asks her what is wrong.
(d) She makes Artie stay home from school to clean up.
8. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
(b) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
(c) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(d) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
9. Why does Artie give Dorothea a kiss after the spelling bee?
(a) Echo asked her to do it.
(b) She wants to show fake affection for Echo's sake.
(c) She wanted to cheer up Dorothea.
(d) She really loves her mother and wants to show it.
10. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
(b) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
(c) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
(d) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
11. In scene 4, what does Dorothea say to Artie when Artie calls to tell her where she has been?
(a) That she loves her very much.
(b) That she has been looking for her everywhere.
(c) That she could not wait to see her.
(d) That she was no longer looking for her.
12. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
(a) After Echo is born.
(b) A month later.
(c) A week later.
(d) A year later.
13. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
(a) She feels uncomfortable standing in a circle.
(b) She thought the building might fall down with her in it.
(c) She does not like the loud noise of racecars.
(d) It disturbs her because she does not like rules to be broken.
14. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
(a) She needs help to get well.
(b) She needs her help to find a job.
(c) She will need help with the baby.
(d) She needs help finding an apartment.
15. Where does Dorothea live?
(a) In a house near Artie.
(b) In a house next door to Artie.
(c) About an hour away from Artie's house.
(d) In an apartment in Artie's building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Artie have for her mother when she calls her for the second time in scene 4?
2. What did Echo remember about the trip back east?
3. How hard was it for Echo to get to the National Spelling Bee?
4. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
5. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)