|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
(a) She keeps lots of pictures of Artie aound the house.
(b) She talks about Artie all the time.
(c) She occasionally shows Echo pictures of her mother.
(d) She never does anyhting to help her remember Artie.
2. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
(a) They took a bus.
(b) They took Echo on her first plane ride to get there.
(c) They drove there after Echo's father died.
(d) They hitchhiked across the country.
3. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
(a) She has an out of town meeting.
(b) Her car is broken down and she cannot get there.
(c) She cannot leave her research.
(d) She is afraid she will make Echo nervous.
4. What happens when Echo is seven?
(a) Echo runs away.
(b) Artie remarries and takes Echo back to live with her.
(c) Artie gets a job 50 miles away from her.
(d) Artie moves back in the house with Dorothea and Echo.
5. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
(a) A month later.
(b) A year later.
(c) After Echo is born.
(d) A week later.
6. What are Echo and Artie arguing about in the beginning of scene 4?
(a) About Echo's education.
(b) Whether or not Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(c) About Artie leaving Echo as a child.
(d) About who should take care of Dorothea.
7. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She is looking for the homemade wings.
(b) She is searching for the lock of hair.
(c) She was looking for her favorite book.
(d) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
8. Where does Dorothea live?
(a) About an hour away from Artie's house.
(b) In a house near Artie.
(c) In a house next door to Artie.
(d) In an apartment in Artie's building.
9. What kind of winner was Echo?
(a) Quiet, but proud.
(b) Quiet and unassuming.
(c) Obnoxious and cruel.
(d) Grateful and kind.
10. What does Artie accomplish on her own?
(a) She writes a book.
(b) She puts herself through college.
(c) She opens her own restaurant.
(d) She raises her daughter on her own.
11. How does Artie and Echo's argument end?
(a) Echo convinces Artie to talk to Dorothea.
(b) Artie leaves in frustration.
(c) Echo leaves in frustration.
(d) They agree to disagree, and both sit with Dorothea.
12. What does Artie inform Dorothea of after the spelling bee?
(a) That she was taking Echo to live with her.
(b) That she never wanted to see Echo again.
(c) They must talk to Echo about her behavior.
(d) They must share a familial kiss for Echo.
13. What is Dorothea's relationship with her son-in-law?
(a) They do not know each other at all.
(b) They barely tolerate each other.
(c) Dorothea loves him as her own son, but he does not like her.
(d) They are friends.
14. What does Echo do as Artie leaves the auditorium after the spelling bee?
(a) Runs after her.
(b) Cries openly.
(c) Smiles and waves good bye.
(d) Begs her to stay.
15. How does Echo's family feel about her winning the spelling bee?
(b) Very proud.
(c) United in their pride and happiness.
(d) Upset at how she treated her opponent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
2. In scene 4, what does Dorothea say to Artie when Artie calls to tell her where she has been?
3. Why was Echo happy to hear the word "eleemosynary" at the spelling bee?
4. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
5. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)