|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
(a) Dorothea is in a coma in a hospital bed.
(b) Dorothea is teaching Artie her alphabet.
(c) Dorothea is teaching Echo her alphabet.
(d) Dorothea is taking a walk in the park.
2. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
(a) In the seat next to Dorothea.
(b) Far away from Dorothea so neither she nor Echo can see her.
(c) Right up front so she can cheer on Echo.
(d) In the seat directly behind Dorothea.
3. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
(a) She puts in a frame in the living room.
(b) She hides it from Artie.
(c) She throws it away.
(d) She puts in a locket which she wears.
4. Why aren't Artie and Dorothea happy about Echo winning?
(a) They feel sorry for the little boy Echo defeated.
(b) They think that Echo cheated.
(c) They wanted Echo to feel what it was like to lose.
(d) They didn't want Echo to think anything had changed between them.
5. After all her name-changes and moves, what was Artie finally ready to to?
(a) Come home.
(b) Try to fly again.
(c) Contact her mother, Dorothea.
(d) Get a real job.
6. How does Echo's family feel about her winning the spelling bee?
(a) United in their pride and happiness.
(c) Upset at how she treated her opponent.
(d) Very proud.
7. What is Artie's response to Dorothea being back in her life?
(a) Seeing Dorothea brings back all the trauma of her childhood.
(b) She is jealous of her mother's relationship with her husband.
(c) She is very grateful to have her mother's help.
(d) She is overjoyed to be back in her mother's life.
8. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(b) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
(c) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
(d) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
9. What news does Artie have for her mother when she calls her for the second time in scene 4?
(a) She is married to a professor, is about to finish her graduate degree in BioChem, and is pregnant.
(b) She is sick and needs help.
(c) She is unmarried and pregnant.
(d) She has flunked out of college.
10. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She asks Echo to meet her.
(b) She write her a letter everyday.
(c) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
(d) She never contacts Echo.
11. What is Echo's final word in the spelling bee?
12. Why does Echo feel such kinship to Dorothea?
(a) Echo feels nokinshipto Dorothea.
(b) Dorothea reminds Echo of her mother.
(c) Dorothea raised her.
(d) Echo feels she is just like Dorothea.
13. What are Echo and Artie arguing about in the beginning of scene 4?
(a) About Echo's education.
(b) About who should take care of Dorothea.
(c) Whether or not Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(d) About Artie leaving Echo as a child.
14. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
(b) She was looking for her favorite book.
(c) She is looking for the homemade wings.
(d) She is searching for the lock of hair.
15. What does Artie do when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
(a) She has lunch with her.
(b) She gives her a big hug.
(c) She apologizes for abandoning her and asks for forgiveness.
(d) She runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Artie do right after kissing Dorothea after the spelling bee?
2. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
3. What did Echo remember about the trip back east?
4. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
5. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)