|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Artie accomplish on her own?
(a) She raises her daughter on her own.
(b) She puts herself through college.
(c) She opens her own restaurant.
(d) She writes a book.
2. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She asks Echo to meet her.
(b) She write her a letter everyday.
(c) She never contacts Echo.
(d) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
3. In Scene 6, how does Artie communicate with her daughter after seeing her?
(a) She breaks off all communication.
(b) She writes her letters once a week.
(c) She visits her once a month.
(d) She calls her to help her study spelling.
4. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
(a) To mend her relationship with Dorothea.
(b) To practice her own spelling.
(c) To visit Echo on a weekly basis.
(d) To call her daughter more often.
5. After all her name-changes and moves, what was Artie finally ready to to?
(a) Contact her mother, Dorothea.
(b) Come home.
(c) Try to fly again.
(d) Get a real job.
6. What is Echo's plan for the spelling bee?
(a) To run away at the spelling bee.
(b) To intentionally lose the spelling bee to gain her mother's pity.
(c) To win the spelling bee.
(d) To have both her mother and grandmother come to the spelling bee and be reunited.
7. What is Artie's response to Dorothea being back in her life?
(a) She is overjoyed to be back in her mother's life.
(b) Seeing Dorothea brings back all the trauma of her childhood.
(c) She is very grateful to have her mother's help.
(d) She is jealous of her mother's relationship with her husband.
8. What kind of winner was Echo?
(a) Quiet and unassuming.
(b) Quiet, but proud.
(c) Grateful and kind.
(d) Obnoxious and cruel.
9. Where does Dorothea live?
(a) In a house near Artie.
(b) In a house next door to Artie.
(c) In an apartment in Artie's building.
(d) About an hour away from Artie's house.
10. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
(a) Dorothea says Echo is bright and already knows some Greek words.
(b) Dorothea says Echo reminds her of herself.
(c) Dorothea thinks Echo can fly.
(d) Dorothea says Echo is a great speller.
11. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
(b) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
(c) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
(d) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
12. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
(a) She thought it looked like a great story.
(b) She saw her mother looking at it.
(c) Artie recommended it to her when she called.
(d) Dorothea had told her the story.
13. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
(c) Disappointment and carefully controlled anger.
14. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She is searching for the lock of hair.
(b) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
(c) She was looking for her favorite book.
(d) She is looking for the homemade wings.
15. Why does Echo feel such kinship to Dorothea?
(a) Dorothea reminds Echo of her mother.
(b) Dorothea raised her.
(c) Echo feels nokinshipto Dorothea.
(d) Echo feels she is just like Dorothea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
2. What are Echo and Artie arguing about in the beginning of scene 4?
3. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
4. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
5. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)