|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Artie have for her mother when she calls her for the second time in scene 4?
(a) She has flunked out of college.
(b) She is sick and needs help.
(c) She is unmarried and pregnant.
(d) She is married to a professor, is about to finish her graduate degree in BioChem, and is pregnant.
2. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
(d) Disappointment and carefully controlled anger.
3. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
(b) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(c) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
(d) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
4. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Echo believe?
(a) That Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(b) That Dorothea will never recover.
(c) That Dorothea's coma is Artie's fault.
(d) That Dorothea cannot hear them in her coma.
5. What does Dorothea do when she finds Artie tearing up the house?
(a) She makes Artie stay home from school to clean up.
(b) She sends Artie to a friends house while she cleans up.
(c) She hugs Artie and asks her what is wrong.
(d) She gives her the lock of hair and says she never wants it back.
6. What happens when Echo is seven?
(a) Echo runs away.
(b) Artie moves back in the house with Dorothea and Echo.
(c) Artie gets a job 50 miles away from her.
(d) Artie remarries and takes Echo back to live with her.
7. How does Artie tell Echo about the National Spelling Bee?
(a) At Dorothea's house.
(b) At the book fair.
(c) She tells her about it over lunch at the deli.
(d) Over the phone.
8. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
(a) Artie never gave her mother any thought.
(b) Artie thought she didn't have a mother.
(c) Artie thought her mother was in jail.
(d) Artie thought her mother was a movie star.
9. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
(a) To call her daughter more often.
(b) To mend her relationship with Dorothea.
(c) To visit Echo on a weekly basis.
(d) To practice her own spelling.
10. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
(a) She throws it away.
(b) She puts in a locket which she wears.
(c) She puts in a frame in the living room.
(d) She hides it from Artie.
11. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
(a) A great chance, just by getting everyone together.
(b) A really good chance, if she won.
(c) No chance at all.
(d) A really good chance, if she lost.
12. What is Artie's response to Dorothea being back in her life?
(a) She is very grateful to have her mother's help.
(b) Seeing Dorothea brings back all the trauma of her childhood.
(c) She is jealous of her mother's relationship with her husband.
(d) She is overjoyed to be back in her mother's life.
13. What is Dorothea's relationship with her son-in-law?
(a) They barely tolerate each other.
(b) They are friends.
(c) They do not know each other at all.
(d) Dorothea loves him as her own son, but he does not like her.
14. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
(a) Dorothea says it will always be a connection to her daughter, Artie.
(b) Artie had gum in her hair and she was cutting it out.
(c) She wanted to compare Artie's hair with her own.
(d) She was giving Artie a hair cut.
15. How does Artie feel when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
(c) Pure joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
2. Who meets up after the spelling bee?
3. How many times did Artie run away?
4. How many times did Artie say she moved?
5. What does Dorothea feel is the most important aspect of Echo's personality?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)