|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
(a) Artie thought her mother was in jail.
(b) Artie never gave her mother any thought.
(c) Artie thought her mother was a movie star.
(d) Artie thought she didn't have a mother.
2. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
(a) They drove there after Echo's father died.
(b) They took Echo on her first plane ride to get there.
(c) They took a bus.
(d) They hitchhiked across the country.
3. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
(a) They make plans to meet the next day.
(b) They say good-bye, promising to talk again soon.
(c) Dorothea hangs up.
(d) Artie hangs up.
4. How many times did Artie say she moved?
(a) 3 times.
(b) 8 times.
(c) 4 times.
(d) 2 times.
5. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(b) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
(c) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
(d) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
6. How does Artie feel when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
(b) Pure joy.
7. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
(a) Dorothea says Echo is a great speller.
(b) Dorothea says Echo is bright and already knows some Greek words.
(c) Dorothea says Echo reminds her of herself.
(d) Dorothea thinks Echo can fly.
8. What news does Artie have for her mother when she calls her for the second time in scene 4?
(a) She has flunked out of college.
(b) She is married to a professor, is about to finish her graduate degree in BioChem, and is pregnant.
(c) She is sick and needs help.
(d) She is unmarried and pregnant.
9. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
(a) She was giving Artie a hair cut.
(b) Dorothea says it will always be a connection to her daughter, Artie.
(c) She wanted to compare Artie's hair with her own.
(d) Artie had gum in her hair and she was cutting it out.
10. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
(a) She does not like the loud noise of racecars.
(b) She thought the building might fall down with her in it.
(c) She feels uncomfortable standing in a circle.
(d) It disturbs her because she does not like rules to be broken.
11. In scene 4, what does Dorothea say to Artie when Artie calls to tell her where she has been?
(a) That she could not wait to see her.
(b) That she loves her very much.
(c) That she was no longer looking for her.
(d) That she has been looking for her everywhere.
12. How does Artie tell Echo about the National Spelling Bee?
(a) Over the phone.
(b) At the book fair.
(c) She tells her about it over lunch at the deli.
(d) At Dorothea's house.
13. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She is searching for the lock of hair.
(b) She is looking for the homemade wings.
(c) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
(d) She was looking for her favorite book.
14. How does Artie and Echo's argument end?
(a) Echo leaves in frustration.
(b) They agree to disagree, and both sit with Dorothea.
(c) Artie leaves in frustration.
(d) Echo convinces Artie to talk to Dorothea.
15. What does Echo feel when her opponent crumbles?
(a) She doesn't even notice.
(b) She thinks he is over reacting.
(c) She is appalled by his behavior.
(d) She feels sorry for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
2. What is Echo's final word in the spelling bee?
3. How many names did Artie take on to keep from being found?
4. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
5. After all her name-changes and moves, what was Artie finally ready to to?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)