|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
(a) To mend her relationship with Dorothea.
(b) To practice her own spelling.
(c) To call her daughter more often.
(d) To visit Echo on a weekly basis.
2. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
(a) Echo is spelling out loud.
(b) Echo is talking to her father.
(c) Echo is wearing the wings.
(d) Echo is sleeping.
3. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
(a) She is afraid she will make Echo nervous.
(b) She cannot leave her research.
(c) Her car is broken down and she cannot get there.
(d) She has an out of town meeting.
4. What is Echo's final word in the spelling bee?
5. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
(a) She smiles bravely, but misspells her first word.
(b) She is confident and spells them correctly.
(c) She pauses hesitantly after each letter, unsure of herself.
(d) She is nervous, but spells them correctly.
6. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
(b) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
(c) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
(d) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
7. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
(a) Dorothea thinks Echo can fly.
(b) Dorothea says Echo is bright and already knows some Greek words.
(c) Dorothea says Echo is a great speller.
(d) Dorothea says Echo reminds her of herself.
8. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
(a) She needs her help to find a job.
(b) She will need help with the baby.
(c) She needs help finding an apartment.
(d) She needs help to get well.
9. How many times did Echo read Robinson Crusoe?
(a) 5 times.
(b) 17 times.
(c) 10 times.
(d) 3 times.
10. What is Artie's response to Dorothea being back in her life?
(a) Seeing Dorothea brings back all the trauma of her childhood.
(b) She is jealous of her mother's relationship with her husband.
(c) She is overjoyed to be back in her mother's life.
(d) She is very grateful to have her mother's help.
11. What news does Artie have for her mother when she calls her for the second time in scene 4?
(a) She is unmarried and pregnant.
(b) She is sick and needs help.
(c) She has flunked out of college.
(d) She is married to a professor, is about to finish her graduate degree in BioChem, and is pregnant.
12. Which 3 things were most important about the trip back east to Artie?
(a) The voodoo cult, a landing strip for UFOs, and a man who had been to the moon.
(b) Edgar Cayce's birthplace, Edgar Cayce's grave, and Edgar Cayce's wife's grave.
(c) A voodoo cult, Edgar Cayce's birthplace, and Edgar Cayce's grave.
(d) An indian burial ground, a voodoo cult and a convention of faith healers.
13. Instead of coming to see Echo, what does Artie do?
(a) She never contacts Echo.
(b) She asks Echo to meet her.
(c) She write her a letter everyday.
(d) She sometimes calls her on the phone.
14. Why does Artie give Dorothea a kiss after the spelling bee?
(a) She wanted to cheer up Dorothea.
(b) She wants to show fake affection for Echo's sake.
(c) Echo asked her to do it.
(d) She really loves her mother and wants to show it.
15. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
(a) No chance at all.
(b) A great chance, just by getting everyone together.
(c) A really good chance, if she won.
(d) A really good chance, if she lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Artie run away?
2. What does Echo feel when her opponent crumbles?
3. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
4. Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Echo?
5. How many names did Artie take on to keep from being found?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)