|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
(a) Artie hangs up.
(b) Dorothea hangs up.
(c) They make plans to meet the next day.
(d) They say good-bye, promising to talk again soon.
2. What does Echo feel when her opponent crumbles?
(a) She is appalled by his behavior.
(b) She doesn't even notice.
(c) She feels sorry for him.
(d) She thinks he is over reacting.
3. What is a "vortex"?
(a) A very large race track.
(b) A space in which natural laws of physics are inverted.
(c) An unusually shaped building.
(d) The center of a circle.
4. What chance of reuniting her family through the spelling bee did Echo have?
(a) A really good chance, if she lost.
(b) A great chance, just by getting everyone together.
(c) No chance at all.
(d) A really good chance, if she won.
5. In reference to Echo and Artie's argument in the beginning of scene 4, what does Echo believe?
(a) That Dorothea can hear them in her coma.
(b) That Dorothea's coma is Artie's fault.
(c) That Dorothea cannot hear them in her coma.
(d) That Dorothea will never recover.
6. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She is searching for the lock of hair.
(b) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
(c) She was looking for her favorite book.
(d) She is looking for the homemade wings.
7. What news does Artie have for her mother when she calls her for the second time in scene 4?
(a) She is unmarried and pregnant.
(b) She has flunked out of college.
(c) She is sick and needs help.
(d) She is married to a professor, is about to finish her graduate degree in BioChem, and is pregnant.
8. How does Artie tell Echo about the National Spelling Bee?
(a) Over the phone.
(b) At Dorothea's house.
(c) She tells her about it over lunch at the deli.
(d) At the book fair.
9. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
(a) She saw her mother looking at it.
(b) Artie recommended it to her when she called.
(c) Dorothea had told her the story.
(d) She thought it looked like a great story.
10. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
(a) Dorothea says it will always be a connection to her daughter, Artie.
(b) She wanted to compare Artie's hair with her own.
(c) She was giving Artie a hair cut.
(d) Artie had gum in her hair and she was cutting it out.
11. Artie considered going to the spelling bee as her ___________.
12. What is Echo's final word in the spelling bee?
13. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
(a) To call her daughter more often.
(b) To mend her relationship with Dorothea.
(c) To practice her own spelling.
(d) To visit Echo on a weekly basis.
14. What happens when Echo is seven?
(a) Artie gets a job 50 miles away from her.
(b) Echo runs away.
(c) Artie remarries and takes Echo back to live with her.
(d) Artie moves back in the house with Dorothea and Echo.
15. What does Artie inform Dorothea of after the spelling bee?
(a) They must share a familial kiss for Echo.
(b) That she was taking Echo to live with her.
(c) That she never wanted to see Echo again.
(d) They must talk to Echo about her behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
2. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
3. What did Echo think about her mother when she was young?
4. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
5. After Artie accidentally sees Echo in scene 5, what does she suggest to Echo?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)