|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Echo's frame of mind as she spells her words?
(a) She is confident and spells them correctly.
(b) She smiles bravely, but misspells her first word.
(c) She pauses hesitantly after each letter, unsure of herself.
(d) She is nervous, but spells them correctly.
2. What does Dorothea do with the lock of hair?
(a) She hides it from Artie.
(b) She puts in a frame in the living room.
(c) She throws it away.
(d) She puts in a locket which she wears.
3. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
(a) She needs her help to find a job.
(b) She needs help to get well.
(c) She will need help with the baby.
(d) She needs help finding an apartment.
4. What is Echo's plan for the spelling bee?
(a) To win the spelling bee.
(b) To have both her mother and grandmother come to the spelling bee and be reunited.
(c) To intentionally lose the spelling bee to gain her mother's pity.
(d) To run away at the spelling bee.
5. Why did Dorothea choose the name she did for her granddaughter?
(a) So that she would have a good memory and "echo" back her knowledge.
(b) Because her own mother was named Echo, and she loved her very much.
(c) Because she liked the sound of it.
(d) So she would only remember the good about people and "echo" it back.
6. What does Dorothea do when she finds Artie tearing up the house?
(a) She gives her the lock of hair and says she never wants it back.
(b) She sends Artie to a friends house while she cleans up.
(c) She makes Artie stay home from school to clean up.
(d) She hugs Artie and asks her what is wrong.
7. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
(a) Dorothea says Echo is a great speller.
(b) Dorothea thinks Echo can fly.
(c) Dorothea says Echo reminds her of herself.
(d) Dorothea says Echo is bright and already knows some Greek words.
8. Artie considered going to the spelling bee as her ___________.
9. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
(a) Artie was an infant.
(b) Artie was seven.
(c) Artie was in her thirties.
(d) Artie was eighteen.
10. What is Dorothea doing when scene 4 opens?
(a) Dorothea is in a coma in a hospital bed.
(b) Dorothea is taking a walk in the park.
(c) Dorothea is teaching Artie her alphabet.
(d) Dorothea is teaching Echo her alphabet.
11. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
(a) They say good-bye, promising to talk again soon.
(b) Dorothea hangs up.
(c) They make plans to meet the next day.
(d) Artie hangs up.
12. Why does Echo buy the Robinson Crusoe book?
(a) She thought it looked like a great story.
(b) She saw her mother looking at it.
(c) Artie recommended it to her when she called.
(d) Dorothea had told her the story.
13. How many times did Artie say she moved?
(a) 2 times.
(b) 4 times.
(c) 8 times.
(d) 3 times.
14. Where does Dorothea live?
(a) In a house next door to Artie.
(b) About an hour away from Artie's house.
(c) In an apartment in Artie's building.
(d) In a house near Artie.
15. Why does Artie give Dorothea a kiss after the spelling bee?
(a) She wants to show fake affection for Echo's sake.
(b) She wanted to cheer up Dorothea.
(c) Echo asked her to do it.
(d) She really loves her mother and wants to show it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Artie accomplish on her own?
2. What is Echo doing as scene 5 opens?
3. Why does Artie not like the vortex?
4. Why does Dorothea cut off a lock of Artie's hair?
5. How many times did Artie run away?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)