|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After all her name-changes and moves, what was Artie finally ready to to?
(a) Come home.
(b) Contact her mother, Dorothea.
(c) Try to fly again.
(d) Get a real job.
2. What does Artie accomplish on her own?
(a) She raises her daughter on her own.
(b) She opens her own restaurant.
(c) She puts herself through college.
(d) She writes a book.
3. How does Dorothea feel when she finds Artie searching for the lock of hair?
(c) Disappointment and carefully controlled anger.
4. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
(a) She talks about Artie all the time.
(b) She occasionally shows Echo pictures of her mother.
(c) She never does anyhting to help her remember Artie.
(d) She keeps lots of pictures of Artie aound the house.
5. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
(a) Her car is broken down and she cannot get there.
(b) She cannot leave her research.
(c) She is afraid she will make Echo nervous.
(d) She has an out of town meeting.
6. Where does Dorothea live?
(a) In a house next door to Artie.
(b) In a house near Artie.
(c) About an hour away from Artie's house.
(d) In an apartment in Artie's building.
7. What is Echo's final word in the spelling bee?
8. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
(a) Artie was seven.
(b) Artie was an infant.
(c) Artie was eighteen.
(d) Artie was in her thirties.
9. How does Dorothea and Artie's phone call first phone call in scene 4 end?
(a) Artie hangs up.
(b) They say good-bye, promising to talk again soon.
(c) Dorothea hangs up.
(d) They make plans to meet the next day.
10. Why does Dorothea insist that Artie now needs her when Artie calls her the second time in scene 4?
(a) She needs help finding an apartment.
(b) She needs help to get well.
(c) She needs her help to find a job.
(d) She will need help with the baby.
11. Why does Artie tear up the house in scene 5?
(a) She is looking for the homemade wings.
(b) She was looking for her favorite book.
(c) She is mad at her mother and is throwing a tantrum.
(d) She is searching for the lock of hair.
12. When Artie comes to Echo's spelling bee, where does she sit?
(a) Right up front so she can cheer on Echo.
(b) In the seat next to Dorothea.
(c) Far away from Dorothea so neither she nor Echo can see her.
(d) In the seat directly behind Dorothea.
13. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
(a) To visit Echo on a weekly basis.
(b) To call her daughter more often.
(c) To mend her relationship with Dorothea.
(d) To practice her own spelling.
14. How hard was it for Echo to get to the National Spelling Bee?
(a) She only made it because another contestant became ill.
(b) She had to practice a lot.
(c) She got there easily.
(d) She barely made it there.
15. What did Echo remember about the trip back east?
(a) Stopping at all the restaurants to eat.
(b) Nothing, since she was just a baby.
(c) Visiting an Indian burial ground,
(d) Visiting a landing strip for UFOs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Artie feel when she sees her daughter in scene 5?
2. What are Echo and Artie arguing about in the beginning of scene 4?
3. Why does Artie give Dorothea a kiss after the spelling bee?
4. How long after Artie's phone call before Dorothea shows up on Artie's doorstep?
5. How many times did Artie say she moved?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)