|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Artie leave Echo with Dorothea?
(a) Artie believes that Dorothea needs Echo.
(b) Artie does not have the money to care for her daughter.
(c) Artie has a job offer in Europe.
(d) Artie is too sick to care for Echo.
2. In Scene 6, how does Artie communicate with her daughter after seeing her?
(a) She calls her to help her study spelling.
(b) She visits her once a month.
(c) She writes her letters once a week.
(d) She breaks off all communication.
3. What is Artie's response to Dorothea being back in her life?
(a) She is very grateful to have her mother's help.
(b) She is jealous of her mother's relationship with her husband.
(c) Seeing Dorothea brings back all the trauma of her childhood.
(d) She is overjoyed to be back in her mother's life.
4. Where does Artie accidentally see Echo?
(a) At a book fair.
(b) In a restaurant.
(c) In the mall.
(d) At the movies.
5. Why is Dorothea so proud of two year old Echo?
(a) Dorothea says Echo is a great speller.
(b) Dorothea thinks Echo can fly.
(c) Dorothea says Echo is bright and already knows some Greek words.
(d) Dorothea says Echo reminds her of herself.
6. How does Dorothea help Echo remember her mother when Artie is gone?
(a) She occasionally shows Echo pictures of her mother.
(b) She keeps lots of pictures of Artie aound the house.
(c) She talks about Artie all the time.
(d) She never does anyhting to help her remember Artie.
7. Where does Dorothea live?
(a) In a house next door to Artie.
(b) About an hour away from Artie's house.
(c) In a house near Artie.
(d) In an apartment in Artie's building.
8. How did the family end up back in Dorothea's house back east?
(a) They hitchhiked across the country.
(b) They drove there after Echo's father died.
(c) They took Echo on her first plane ride to get there.
(d) They took a bus.
9. How many times did Artie run away?
(a) 1 time.
(b) 3 times.
(c) 2 times.
(d) 4 times.
10. What excuse does Artie originally give for not being able to attend the spelling bee?
(a) Her car is broken down and she cannot get there.
(b) She has an out of town meeting.
(c) She is afraid she will make Echo nervous.
(d) She cannot leave her research.
11. What does Artie inform Dorothea of after the spelling bee?
(a) They must share a familial kiss for Echo.
(b) They must talk to Echo about her behavior.
(c) That she was taking Echo to live with her.
(d) That she never wanted to see Echo again.
12. How was Artie able to overcome her childhood?
(a) By having a baby to love.
(b) By remembering how much her mother really loved her.
(c) By focusing only on her husband and her work.
(d) By forgiving her mother's eccentricity.
13. What was important about the trip back east to Dorothea?
(a) Getting home as quickly as possible.
(b) Shopping in stores along the way.
(c) Eating in 5-star restaurants.
(d) Making educational stops for Echo.
14. What does Echo feel when her opponent crumbles?
(a) She doesn't even notice.
(b) She thinks he is over reacting.
(c) She is appalled by his behavior.
(d) She feels sorry for him.
15. What is Dorothea's relationship with her son-in-law?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They do not know each other at all.
(c) They barely tolerate each other.
(d) Dorothea loves him as her own son, but he does not like her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Echo do as Artie leaves the auditorium after the spelling bee?
2. How does Echo's family feel about her winning the spelling bee?
3. How old was Artie when Dorothea cut off the lock of her hair?
4. What time of day was it when Dorothea cut the lock of hair from Artie?
5. What excuse does the spelling bee give Artie?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)