|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many generations of women does this play cover?
2. Where in scene 3 does the audience feel sympathy for Dorothea?
(a) When Dorothea is forced into marriage and deprived of an education.
(b) When Dorothea is pregnant with Artie.
(c) When Dorothea meets her husband.
(d) When Dorothea is tremendously ill.
3. What did Artie's mother want her to do when Artie was young?
(a) To try to fly with homemade wings.
(b) To make a pair of wings.
(c) To study to become a doctor.
(d) To spell "eleemosynary."
4. Scene 2 begins and ends with which character?
(c) Artie's father.
5. Artie has an inability to do what, regarding Echo?
(b) Drive her to school.
(c) Keep her healthy.
(d) Show affection.
6. Echo is obsessed with __________________.
(a) Spelling words.
(c) The wings.
(d) Her mother.
7. Dorothea began teaching Echo to read at the age of ______________.
(a) 5 years.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 12 months.
(d) 8 years.
8. What is Artie's relationship to Dorothea?
(a) Artie is Dorothea's granddaughter.
(b) Artie is Dorothea's daughter.
(c) Artie is Dorothea's father.
(d) Artie is Dorothea's husband.
9. For Dorothea, eccentricity means _____________________her child.
(a) Having fun with.
10. What is the happy time that Dorothea recalls in her life?
(a) Meeting the eccentric.
(b) Having her first child.
(c) Marrying her husband.
(d) Going to college.
11. Where does Artie find employment at the end of scene 2?
(a) At a private school.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At a small college.
(d) Artie can't find a job.
12. What happens to Dorothea's husband?
(a) He leaves Dorothea.
(b) He is crippled in an accident.
(c) He has a stroke and is unable to communicate.
(d) He dies suddenly.
13. Dorothea has ______________________expectations for her daughter.
(d) Very low.
14. What is an eccentric?
(a) A person who can spell very well.
(b) A person who is kind to everyone.
(c) A person completely unbound by the ordinary rules and responsibilities the rest of society must accept.
(d) A person of extreme intelligence.
15. What did Artie name her daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. In scene 3, when does the audience feel happy for Dorothea?
2. What happened when Artie tried to fly?
3. What did Echo and her mother talk about on the phone?
4. How does the play open?
5. How old is Echo when the plays opens?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)