|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first taught Echo to love words?
(a) Echo's aunt.
(b) Echo's father.
2. Dorothea began teaching Echo to read at the age of ______________.
(a) 12 months.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 3 months.
3. What did Artie name her daughter?
4. What did Echo and her mother talk about on the phone?
(a) Artie asked questions about Dorothea.
(b) Artie told Echo stories about her childhood.
(c) Artie called out words for Echo to spell.
(d) Artie told Echo how to fly.
5. How do Echo and Dorothea communicate?
(a) Echo can read Dorothea's mind.
(b) Echo insists that she can hear Dorothea speak even though Dorothea is mute.
(c) Dorothea writes messages on a dry erase board.
(d) Dorothea and Echo learned sign language.
6. Scene 2 begins and ends with which character?
(a) Artie's father.
7. After Dorothea talks about her marriage, what topic does she talk about?
(a) Her great love for her daughter.
(b) Her knowledge base.
(c) Her first meeting of an eccentric.
(d) Her relationship with her father.
8. What did Artie's mother want her to do when Artie was young?
(a) To try to fly with homemade wings.
(b) To spell "eleemosynary."
(c) To make a pair of wings.
(d) To study to become a doctor.
9. What do the wings represent to Artie?
(a) Her terrible childhood with an eccentric, controlling mother.
(b) A gift from a loving mother.
(c) A wonderful time from her childhood.
(d) A way that she can finally fly.
10. The play's title is most relevant to which character?
(c) Echo's father.
11. Dorothea changed her granddaughter's name to ______________________.
12. What is Echo's relationship to Dorothea?
(a) Echo is Dorothea's granddaughter.
(b) Echo is Dorothea's daughter.
(c) Echo is Dorothea's mother.
(d) Echo is Dorothea's friend.
13. How many generations of women does this play cover?
14. What is Echo doing during scene 3?
(a) Echo is reading a book.
(b) Echo is spelling.
(c) Echo is playing in the sandbox.
(d) Echo is not in the scene.
15. How is Dorothea's health as the play opens?
(a) Dorothea has had a stroke and is mute.
(b) Dorothea has a broken arm.
(c) Dorothea is in excellent health.
(d) Dorothea has a concussion from falling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothea do to help Artie learn?
2. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
3. What is an eccentric?
4. Which character ends scene 1?
5. Why were Artie and Echo's conversations limited?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)