|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dorothea teach her granddaughter?
(a) With banners of Latin and Greek letters.
(b) With a book of Shakespeare's plays.
(c) With a video tape.
(d) With a dictionary.
2. How does Dorothea find Artie at the end of scene 2?
(a) With the help of Echo.
(b) WIth a map and compass.
(c) Dorothea never finds Artie.
(d) With the help of a private investigator.
3. How is Dorothea's health as the play opens?
(a) Dorothea has a broken arm.
(b) Dorothea has a concussion from falling.
(c) Dorothea is in excellent health.
(d) Dorothea has had a stroke and is mute.
4. In scene 3, which character does the audience meet more fully?
(a) Dorothea's mother.
5. How does Artie communicate with her mother when her mother is mute?
(a) She doesn't.
(b) She talks to her.
(c) She sings to her.
(d) She reads to her.
6. What does Dorothea's husband promise her, but then does not fulfill?
(a) That Dorothea can have children.
(b) That they will live in a big house.
(c) That they will move to the country.
(d) That Dorothea can go to college.
7. Where in scene 3 does the audience feel sympathy for Dorothea?
(a) When Dorothea is forced into marriage and deprived of an education.
(b) When Dorothea meets her husband.
(c) When Dorothea is tremendously ill.
(d) When Dorothea is pregnant with Artie.
8. What is the last name of the family in this play?
9. What is the happy time that Dorothea recalls in her life?
(a) Going to college.
(b) Meeting the eccentric.
(c) Marrying her husband.
(d) Having her first child.
10. How many times was Artie pregnant?
(c) 4 times.
(d) 3 times.
11. What foreshadows the relationship between Echo and Artie in the first scene?
(a) Echo communicating with mute Dorothea.
(b) Artie running to hug her daughter.
(c) Echo spelling the title of the play out loud.
(d) Echo drawing a picture.
12. How old is Artie when she has her first tutor?
13. What do the wings represent to Artie?
(a) A gift from a loving mother.
(b) A way that she can finally fly.
(c) Her terrible childhood with an eccentric, controlling mother.
(d) A wonderful time from her childhood.
14. What is Echo doing during scene 3?
(a) Echo is not in the scene.
(b) Echo is spelling.
(c) Echo is reading a book.
(d) Echo is playing in the sandbox.
15. Who enters the first scene wearing wings?
(a) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first taught Echo to love words?
2. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
3. What can eccentricity do for Dorothea?
4. At what point in scene 3 does the audience lose sympathy for Dorothea?
5. How many words does Echo misspell when her mother drills her on the phone?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)