|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dorothea marry her husband?
(a) Dorothea wants to have children.
(b) Dorothea loves him.
(c) Dorothea marries him for money.
(d) She is forced into the marriage by her father.
2. After Dorothea talks about her marriage, what topic does she talk about?
(a) Her relationship with her father.
(b) Her first meeting of an eccentric.
(c) Her knowledge base.
(d) Her great love for her daughter.
3. What great skill does Echo have?
(a) Echo can run very fast.
(b) Echo is a great cook.
(c) Echo is able to spell very well.
(d) Echo can fly with homemade wings.
4. How many generations of women does this play cover?
5. Where does Artie find employment at the end of scene 2?
(a) Artie can't find a job.
(b) At a small college.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) At a private school.
6. How old is Artie when she has her first tutor?
7. What is Artie's relationship to Dorothea?
(a) Artie is Dorothea's granddaughter.
(b) Artie is Dorothea's father.
(c) Artie is Dorothea's daughter.
(d) Artie is Dorothea's husband.
8. What is the happy time that Dorothea recalls in her life?
(a) Marrying her husband.
(b) Meeting the eccentric.
(c) Going to college.
(d) Having her first child.
9. In scene 3, which character does the audience meet more fully?
(d) Dorothea's mother.
10. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
(a) Dorothea wants Artie to get married before the baby is born.
(b) Dorothea is disappointed that Artie is so young, but is excited about having a grandchild.
(c) Dorothea is thrilled and cannot wait until the baby is born.
(d) Dorothea is upset because she feels having a child would ruin Artie's chance at an education.
11. Who opens scene 2?
(a) Echo's father.
12. What foreshadows the relationship between Echo and Artie in the first scene?
(a) Echo spelling the title of the play out loud.
(b) Echo communicating with mute Dorothea.
(c) Echo drawing a picture.
(d) Artie running to hug her daughter.
13. What was Dorothea's childhood like?
(a) Dorothea had lots of friends and was happy.
(b) Dorothea's parents doted on Dorothea.
(c) Dorothea had a wonderful childhood filled with love.
(d) Dorothea felt worthless and guilty growing up.
14. Who raised Echo?
(b) An orphanage.
(c) Echo's father.
15. Artie's fear is considered __________________________.
(b) A neurosis.
(c) A gift.
(d) Not real.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dorothea tries to _________________________ Artie.
2. What does Artie remember from her own childhood?
3. Scene 2 begins and ends with which character?
4. How does Dorothea meet her husband?
5. In scene 3, when does the audience feel happy for Dorothea?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)