|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What foreshadows the relationship between Echo and Artie in the first scene?
(a) Echo communicating with mute Dorothea.
(b) Echo spelling the title of the play out loud.
(c) Artie running to hug her daughter.
(d) Echo drawing a picture.
2. What did Echo and her mother talk about on the phone?
(a) Artie told Echo stories about her childhood.
(b) Artie asked questions about Dorothea.
(c) Artie called out words for Echo to spell.
(d) Artie told Echo how to fly.
3. Dorothea began teaching Echo to read at the age of ______________.
(a) 8 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 12 months.
(d) 3 months.
4. What is the relationship between the women in the family?
(a) Extreme animosity.
(b) Famial love, tainted with resentment and bitterness.
(d) Love and charity.
5. What does Dorothea value over motherhood?
6. What happened when Artie tried to fly?
(a) She failed.
(b) She started to fly, and then fell.
(c) She refused to try.
(d) She flew around the yard.
7. Who enters the first scene wearing wings?
(b) No one.
8. What is an eccentric?
(a) A person of extreme intelligence.
(b) A person completely unbound by the ordinary rules and responsibilities the rest of society must accept.
(c) A person who is kind to everyone.
(d) A person who can spell very well.
9. Where does Artie find employment at the end of scene 2?
(a) At a private school.
(b) At a small college.
(c) Artie can't find a job.
(d) At a restaurant.
10. What do the wings represent to Artie?
(a) A way that she can finally fly.
(b) A wonderful time from her childhood.
(c) A gift from a loving mother.
(d) Her terrible childhood with an eccentric, controlling mother.
11. How does Dorothea find Artie at the end of scene 2?
(a) With the help of a private investigator.
(b) Dorothea never finds Artie.
(c) WIth a map and compass.
(d) With the help of Echo.
12. What does Dorothea's husband promise her, but then does not fulfill?
(a) That they will live in a big house.
(b) That Dorothea can have children.
(c) That they will move to the country.
(d) That Dorothea can go to college.
13. Who first taught Echo to love words?
(b) Echo's aunt.
(c) Echo's father.
14. What is Dorothea's reaction to Artie's pregnancy?
(a) Dorothea is thrilled and cannot wait until the baby is born.
(b) Dorothea wants Artie to get married before the baby is born.
(c) Dorothea is disappointed that Artie is so young, but is excited about having a grandchild.
(d) Dorothea is upset because she feels having a child would ruin Artie's chance at an education.
15. When Artie is _______________ she becomes pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opens the third scene?
2. What is the happy time that Dorothea recalls in her life?
3. In scene 2, with what does Artie say she has trouble doing?
4. What happens to Dorothea's husband?
5. What does Artie do after her pregnancy?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)