|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Artie feel about the outcome of her pregnancy?
(c) Deeply traumatized.
2. How does Artie teach her daughter?
(a) By quizzing her constantly on how to spell words.
(b) By having her use words in a sentence to show that she knows what they mean.
(c) By making her do pages of math problems.
(d) By talking about stories she has read.
3. What did Artie name her daughter?
4. Artie's fear is considered __________________________.
(a) A gift.
(b) A neurosis.
(c) Not real.
5. Why does Dorothea marry her husband?
(a) Dorothea loves him.
(b) Dorothea marries him for money.
(c) She is forced into the marriage by her father.
(d) Dorothea wants to have children.
6. What do the wings represent to Artie?
(a) A way that she can finally fly.
(b) A gift from a loving mother.
(c) Her terrible childhood with an eccentric, controlling mother.
(d) A wonderful time from her childhood.
7. Who opens the third scene?
(c) Artie's father.
8. Dorothea began teaching Echo to read at the age of ______________.
(a) 12 months.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 3 months.
9. What is the relationship between the women in the family?
(a) Famial love, tainted with resentment and bitterness.
(b) Extreme animosity.
(c) Love and charity.
10. Dorothea changed her granddaughter's name to ______________________.
11. How does Dorothea find Artie at the end of scene 2?
(a) With the help of a private investigator.
(b) WIth a map and compass.
(c) Dorothea never finds Artie.
(d) With the help of Echo.
12. What dream does Artie have?
(a) That her mother has a terrible accident.
(b) That Echo falls out of a tree.
(c) That she is able to fly through the sky with homemade wings.
(d) That her mother burns all Artie's books.
13. What is Echo's relationship to Dorothea?
(a) Echo is Dorothea's friend.
(b) Echo is Dorothea's daughter.
(c) Echo is Dorothea's granddaughter.
(d) Echo is Dorothea's mother.
14. How is Dorothea's health as the play opens?
(a) Dorothea has had a stroke and is mute.
(b) Dorothea has a broken arm.
(c) Dorothea has a concussion from falling.
(d) Dorothea is in excellent health.
15. What is Echo's relationship to Artie?
(a) Echo is Artie's mother.
(b) Echo is Artie's granddaughter.
(c) Echo is Artie's sister.
(d) Echo is Artie's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the happy time that Dorothea recalls in her life?
2. How many generations of women does this play cover?
3. At what point in scene 3 does the audience lose sympathy for Dorothea?
4. What does Artie do after her pregnancy?
5. What does Dorothea do to help Artie learn?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)