|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Echo's relationship to Artie?
(a) Echo is Artie's daughter.
(b) Echo is Artie's mother.
(c) Echo is Artie's granddaughter.
(d) Echo is Artie's sister.
2. What trait does Artie say she has that makes her life so hard?
(a) She is unable to forget anything.
(b) She is too tall.
(c) She has freckles.
(d) She cannot remember details.
3. What did Echo and her mother talk about on the phone?
(a) Artie called out words for Echo to spell.
(b) Artie told Echo stories about her childhood.
(c) Artie told Echo how to fly.
(d) Artie asked questions about Dorothea.
4. Dorothea changed her granddaughter's name to ______________________.
5. What is an eccentric?
(a) A person who can spell very well.
(b) A person who is kind to everyone.
(c) A person completely unbound by the ordinary rules and responsibilities the rest of society must accept.
(d) A person of extreme intelligence.
6. What is the happy time that Dorothea recalls in her life?
(a) Going to college.
(b) Meeting the eccentric.
(c) Marrying her husband.
(d) Having her first child.
7. How does Artie teach her daughter?
(a) By talking about stories she has read.
(b) By having her use words in a sentence to show that she knows what they mean.
(c) By making her do pages of math problems.
(d) By quizzing her constantly on how to spell words.
8. For Dorothea, eccentricity means _____________________her child.
(d) Having fun with.
9. The play's title is most relevant to which character?
(a) Echo's father.
10. Who opens scene 2?
(c) Echo's father.
11. What did Artie's mother want her to do when Artie was young?
(a) To try to fly with homemade wings.
(b) To study to become a doctor.
(c) To spell "eleemosynary."
(d) To make a pair of wings.
12. Artie's fear is considered __________________________.
(b) A neurosis.
(c) Not real.
(d) A gift.
13. When Artie is _______________ she becomes pregnant.
14. What does Artie do after her pregnancy?
(a) Artie runs away.
(b) Artie gets a job at a restaurant.
(c) Artie decides to be a stay-at-home mom.
(d) Artie goes to college.
15. What does Dorothea's husband promise her, but then does not fulfill?
(a) That Dorothea can have children.
(b) That they will live in a big house.
(c) That Dorothea can go to college.
(d) That they will move to the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dorothea began teaching Echo to read at the age of ______________.
2. What does Artie remember from her own childhood?
3. What happened when Artie tried to fly?
4. Scene 2 begins and ends with which character?
5. Why does Dorothea marry her husband?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)