|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Artie find employment at the end of scene 2?
(a) At a private school.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) Artie can't find a job.
(d) At a small college.
2. What do the wings represent to Artie?
(a) A way that she can finally fly.
(b) Her terrible childhood with an eccentric, controlling mother.
(c) A wonderful time from her childhood.
(d) A gift from a loving mother.
3. How is Dorothea's health as the play opens?
(a) Dorothea has a broken arm.
(b) Dorothea has had a stroke and is mute.
(c) Dorothea is in excellent health.
(d) Dorothea has a concussion from falling.
4. What happens to Dorothea's husband?
(a) He has a stroke and is unable to communicate.
(b) He leaves Dorothea.
(c) He dies suddenly.
(d) He is crippled in an accident.
5. How does the play open?
(a) Echo hangs up the phone.
(b) Dorothea tries to make Artie fly.
(c) Echo explains how she was raised.
(d) Echo is spelling out the word eleemosynary.
6. Who made the wings that a character is wearing in the first scene?
(c) Echo's sister.
7. What can eccentricity do for Dorothea?
(a) Be a way to finally get her education.
(b) Make her famous.
(c) Make her a better mother.
(d) Offer an escape from the mendacity of her life as well as an outlet for her creativity and intelligence.
8. What great skill does Echo have?
(a) Echo is a great cook.
(b) Echo can fly with homemade wings.
(c) Echo is able to spell very well.
(d) Echo can run very fast.
9. Dorothea has ______________________expectations for her daughter.
(b) Very low.
10. What is Artie's relationship to Dorothea?
(a) Artie is Dorothea's husband.
(b) Artie is Dorothea's daughter.
(c) Artie is Dorothea's father.
(d) Artie is Dorothea's granddaughter.
11. How does Dorothea teach her granddaughter?
(a) With a video tape.
(b) With a dictionary.
(c) With banners of Latin and Greek letters.
(d) With a book of Shakespeare's plays.
12. After the picnic, what does Dorothea decide she should become?
(a) A psychic.
(b) An eccentric.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A teacher.
13. Why were Artie and Echo's conversations limited?
(a) Artie did not know any other way to reach out to her daughter.
(b) Dorothea interupted their phone conversations.
(c) Dorothea would not allow them to talk on the phone.
(d) Echo would only talk about one thing.
14. How concerned is Artie about her fear?
(b) A little.
(c) Not at all.
15. What foreshadows the relationship between Echo and Artie in the first scene?
(a) Artie running to hug her daughter.
(b) Echo drawing a picture.
(c) Echo communicating with mute Dorothea.
(d) Echo spelling the title of the play out loud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Echo's relationship to Artie?
2. After Dorothea talks about her marriage, what topic does she talk about?
3. What does Dorothea value over motherhood?
4. Echo is obsessed with __________________.
5. In scene 3, when does the audience feel happy for Dorothea?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)