|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Dorothea's childhood like?
(a) Dorothea's parents doted on Dorothea.
(b) Dorothea felt worthless and guilty growing up.
(c) Dorothea had a wonderful childhood filled with love.
(d) Dorothea had lots of friends and was happy.
2. Who says that a smart girl will never be married?
(d) Artie's father.
3. When Dorothea changed her granddaughter's name, Echo was ___________.
(a) 2 years old.
(b) 1 year old.
(c) 5 years old.
(d) 3 months old.
4. Who made the wings that a character is wearing in the first scene?
(c) Echo's sister.
5. What happens on Artie's way back home at the end of scene 2?
(a) She becomes lost in the airport.
(b) She escapes through a restaurant window.
(c) She is robbed.
(d) She gets in a terrible automobile accident.
6. What does Dorothea convince Artie to do about her pregnancy?
(a) Dorothea convinces Artie to give the baby up for adoption.
(b) Dorothea convinces Artie to have the baby at home.
(c) Dorothea convinces Artie to have an abortion so she can go to college as planned.
(d) Dorothea is disappointed that Artie is so young, but is excited about having a grandchild.
7. How does Artie communicate with her mother when her mother is mute?
(a) She sings to her.
(b) She reads to her.
(c) She doesn't.
(d) She talks to her.
8. For Dorothea, eccentricity means _____________________her child.
(b) Having fun with.
9. Who is Artie named after?
(a) Artemis, the Greco-Roman huntress; the sister of Apollo.
(b) Arthur, her father.
(c) Arthur,her mother's father.
10. Who raised Echo?
(b) An orphanage.
(c) Echo's father.
11. What can eccentricity do for Dorothea?
(a) Make her a better mother.
(b) Be a way to finally get her education.
(c) Offer an escape from the mendacity of her life as well as an outlet for her creativity and intelligence.
(d) Make her famous.
12. In scene 2, with what does Artie say she has trouble doing?
(a) Flying with homemade wings.
(b) Running the mile.
(c) Physically touching others, even her daughter.
(d) Spelling words.
13. What does Dorothea do to help Artie learn?
(a) She hires tutors.
(b) She calls words out for her to spell from the dictionary.
(c) She walks her to school each morning.
(d) She gives her a math test everyday.
14. Dorothea changed her granddaughter's name to ______________________.
15. Who opens the third scene?
(a) Artie's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character ends scene 1?
2. What does Dorothea value over motherhood?
3. Where in scene 3 does the audience feel sympathy for Dorothea?
4. Who does Dorothea meet at the picnic?
5. At what point in scene 3 does the audience lose sympathy for Dorothea?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)