|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Artie communicate with her mother when her mother is mute?
(a) She doesn't.
(b) She reads to her.
(c) She talks to her.
(d) She sings to her.
2. What does Artie do after her pregnancy?
(a) Artie decides to be a stay-at-home mom.
(b) Artie goes to college.
(c) Artie gets a job at a restaurant.
(d) Artie runs away.
3. Who opens scene 2?
(c) Echo's father.
4. Dorothea has ______________________expectations for her daughter.
(d) Very low.
5. What does Artie remember from her own childhood?
(a) That her mother sung to her as she put her to bed.
(b) She and her mother baking cookies together.
(c) That her mother used the same banners of Latin and Greek letters with her.
(d) That she loved eating ice cream.
6. What did Artie name her daughter?
7. Who first taught Echo to love words?
(c) Echo's aunt.
(d) Echo's father.
8. Which character re-enters in the middle of scene 3?
(a) Dorothea's husband.
9. After Dorothea talks about her marriage, what topic does she talk about?
(a) Her knowledge base.
(b) Her first meeting of an eccentric.
(c) Her great love for her daughter.
(d) Her relationship with her father.
10. Where in scene 3 does the audience feel sympathy for Dorothea?
(a) When Dorothea is pregnant with Artie.
(b) When Dorothea is tremendously ill.
(c) When Dorothea is forced into marriage and deprived of an education.
(d) When Dorothea meets her husband.
11. For Dorothea, eccentricity means _____________________her child.
(b) Having fun with.
12. What is Echo's relationship to Dorothea?
(a) Echo is Dorothea's friend.
(b) Echo is Dorothea's mother.
(c) Echo is Dorothea's daughter.
(d) Echo is Dorothea's granddaughter.
13. How does Dorothea meet her husband?
(a) Her father arranges the marriage.
(b) She meets him in the restaurant where she works.
(c) She meets him in college.
(d) Her friends introduces them.
14. Who says that a smart girl will never be married?
(a) Artie's father.
15. What do the wings represent to Artie?
(a) A wonderful time from her childhood.
(b) A gift from a loving mother.
(c) Her terrible childhood with an eccentric, controlling mother.
(d) A way that she can finally fly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opens the third scene?
2. Echo is obsessed with __________________.
3. What does Dorothea's husband promise her, but then does not fulfill?
4. How does Dorothea teach her granddaughter?
5. What happens to Dorothea's husband?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)