Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Riley protective?
2. How does Cy's routine begin?
3. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
4. With what does Cy decide he needs help?
5. What happens when Cy breaks the glass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is a boggart and how is it used?
2. How does Cy compare Coney Island to Morecambe?
3. How does Cy's apprenticeship fare and what is an important lesson Cy learns?
4. What secret of Claudia's does Grace hold?
5. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
6. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
7. What does the narrator say about the light in Brooklyn?
8. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
9. What does Grace want from Cy and why do you think she wants it?
10. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
Essay Topic 1
Grace is probably the most complex character in the book. Most readers might even say that they don't ever fully understand her or her motives. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What is it about Grace that intimidates the soldiers in Cy's shop in Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes"?
2. Besides being intimidated, the soldiers are also sexually attracted to Grace. Why do you think that is true? Or do you? Which emotion of the soldiers seems stronger--fear or attraction? Is there something about their fear that actually intensifies their attraction?
3. The soldiers imply that Grace's sanity is questionable. What do you think? Is the way she treats the soldiers sane? Why or why not?
4. What do you think is the significance of Grace's action when she confronts the soldiers and licks her thumb and touches the soldier's cheek?
Essay Topic 2
There are several metaphors throughout the book, Electric Michelangelo, perhaps one of the most striking is that of Grace and her tattoos. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define metaphor and symbolism and compare the two using specific examples both from the book and other sources. Which do you feel is more effective? Which seems better at expressing the idea of an abstract concept? Why would you use one over the other--give specific examples.
2. For what do you think Grace's body is a metaphor? Explain using specific examples. Does the metaphor work for you?
3. Write a real or hypothetical situation in your personal experience that includes one or more abstract concepts and then create a metaphor to express that experience. Next, choose a way to use symbolism in the telling of the experience. Which way seems more effective at portraying the experience?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy meets Artura and Claudia Overas.
1. Compare and contrast Cy and Artura.
2. Compare and contrast Grace and Claudia.
3. Why do you think Claudia has a larger role in the novel than Artura, who is after all, a tattoo artist like Cy and it is a book predominantly about tattoos?
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)