|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
2. About whom does Riley lecture Cy?
3. Who slices the rope?
4. What does Cy hear through the window of the building he climbs?
5. What does Reeda think of Riley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Riley's and Cy's styles differ when starting a job on a client?
2. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
3. What does Jonty say about Riley; is it likely to be true?
4. How does the topic of sex give Cy some not-so-great memories?
5. What upsets the town council and what is Reeda's response?
6. What marks Cy's transition from boyhood to manhood?
7. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
8. How does Reeda die and how does this affect Cy?
9. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
10. How does Cy slip into starting to tattoo instead of just watching Riley and what is Riley's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "History's Ink," Malcolm Sedak pours acid upon Grace. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text, your research or personal experience:
1. What foreshadowing is there to warn the readers of the scene at the opening to "History's Ink" when Grace is horribly attacked? Give examples and why you think the examples foreshadow the event. Do you think something as intense as this scene needs to be foreshadowed? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the various responses to the attack. Was Claudia justified in beating Sedak? How about Henry giving Grace morphine or Cy believing he has to stay in the hospital or Grace will die? What do you think was Grace's thoughts about it as she lies in the hospital?
Essay Topic 2
Near the very end of the book after Cy has returned to Morecambe, he takes on an apprentice, Nina Shearer. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Nina's behavior as an apprentice to Cy's behavior as an apprentice.
2. Compare and contrast Riley's teaching methods to Cy's teaching methods.
3. Discuss how effective Riley and Cy's teaching methods are and Cy and Nina's learning methods are and the strengths and weaknesses of each. To which teacher would you more likely be similar? Which apprentice?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy meets Artura and Claudia Overas.
1. Compare and contrast Cy and Artura.
2. Compare and contrast Grace and Claudia.
3. Why do you think Claudia has a larger role in the novel than Artura, who is after all, a tattoo artist like Cy and it is a book predominantly about tattoos?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)