Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Riley protective?
2. How does Cy's routine begin?
3. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
4. With what does Cy decide he needs help?
5. What happens when Cy breaks the glass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is a boggart and how is it used?
2. How does Cy compare Coney Island to Morecambe?
3. How does Cy's apprenticeship fare and what is an important lesson Cy learns?
4. What secret of Claudia's does Grace hold?
5. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
6. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
7. What does the narrator say about the light in Brooklyn?
8. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
9. What does Grace want from Cy and why do you think she wants it?
10. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
In part one, "Bloodlights," there is imagery surrounding the color red and blood; the basins of red expectorant; the blood from abortions; the red of the Aurora Borealis lights. Since even in this chapter most readers know that the story is about a tattoo artist, red seems to be a compelling color to wrap around the novel. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Follow the images of blood and the color red that occurs throughout the novel and interpret the individual images and then write an analysis of the symbolic meaning of the color red and blood.
2. Write an essay on the use of symbols in this book. Choose three symbols that seem important and discuss their significance and meaning, using specific examples. How does the use of the symbols enhance your understanding of textual meaning? Or does it? How would the text change if the symbols were not used?
3. Write an essay on the use of symbols in our everyday life. Choose several symbols that seem universal to American culture and discuss their significance and meaning. Why are symbols used? Are they a sort of shorthand to express concepts? Use specific examples.
Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes," Cy goes to Varga's the night that Grace has given her the design so he can have a stiff drink or two before looking at the design. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Briefly describe the design and Cy's reaction to seeing it. Why do you think he reacts that way? He alternately wants to confront Grace and just accept. Why? What does he end up doing?
2. What do you think is the symbolic significance of the eye design? Why do you think Grace chooses it? If you were looking at someone covered in tattoos of a hieroglyphic-like eye, what would be your response?
3. What do you think Grace meant when she says in reply to Cy asking if she wants a full-body tattoo, "Sure. Until I am gone, poof, no more."? Is Grace using the tattooing of her body as a metaphor for something else? What?
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy meets Artura and Claudia Overas.
1. Compare and contrast Cy and Artura.
2. Compare and contrast Grace and Claudia.
3. Why do you think Claudia has a larger role in the novel than Artura, who is after all, a tattoo artist like Cy and it is a book predominantly about tattoos?
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)