|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people know?
2. What do Cy, Jonty and Morris seek?
3. What confuses Cy?
4. From what does Cy avert his eyes?
5. Upon what does the town council frown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonty say about Riley; is it likely to be true?
2. How does Cy's mother Reeda respond to his possible apprenticeship with Riley?
3. What does Riley tell Cy about Michelangelo?
4. What major theme is touched upon in this chapter and how is it expressed here?
5. What upsets the town council and what is Reeda's response?
6. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
7. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
8. With what does the young Cy struggle?
9. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
10. There are many instances of foreshadowing in this opening section. Name one and venture a guess as to what it could foreshadow.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy meets Artura and Claudia Overas.
1. Compare and contrast Cy and Artura.
2. Compare and contrast Grace and Claudia.
3. Why do you think Claudia has a larger role in the novel than Artura, who is after all, a tattoo artist like Cy and it is a book predominantly about tattoos?
Essay Topic 2
In part 1, it is revealed that Reeda Parks nurses dying TB patients and also assists her friend in performing abortions. This dual occupation could be considered ironic for several reasons. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define the concept of irony.
2. Why could Reeda's two occupations be considered ironic? Use examples and detail in your explanation.
3. There are a number of ironic instances in the story. Go through the text and find several instances of ironic thoughts, statements, or events and explain the situation and why you believe it to be ironic.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "History's Ink," Malcolm Sedak pours acid upon Grace. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text, your research or personal experience:
1. What foreshadowing is there to warn the readers of the scene at the opening to "History's Ink" when Grace is horribly attacked? Give examples and why you think the examples foreshadow the event. Do you think something as intense as this scene needs to be foreshadowed? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the various responses to the attack. Was Claudia justified in beating Sedak? How about Henry giving Grace morphine or Cy believing he has to stay in the hospital or Grace will die? What do you think was Grace's thoughts about it as she lies in the hospital?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)