|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Muriel's occupation?
2. Who are Jonty Preston and Morris Gibbs?
3. Who does not feel like maggots in an infected carcass, as they are regarded in the nicer end of town?
4. Why does Cy's mother board these "guests"?
5. Who comes to help Cy's mother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
2. What do you think is a boggart and how is it used?
3. How does Reeda die and how does this affect Cy?
4. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
5. What marks Cy's transition from boyhood to manhood?
6. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
7. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
8. How does Cy slip into starting to tattoo instead of just watching Riley and what is Riley's response?
9. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
10. With what does the young Cy struggle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grace is probably the most complex character in the book. Most readers might even say that they don't ever fully understand her or her motives. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What is it about Grace that intimidates the soldiers in Cy's shop in Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes"?
2. Besides being intimidated, the soldiers are also sexually attracted to Grace. Why do you think that is true? Or do you? Which emotion of the soldiers seems stronger--fear or attraction? Is there something about their fear that actually intensifies their attraction?
3. The soldiers imply that Grace's sanity is questionable. What do you think? Is the way she treats the soldiers sane? Why or why not?
4. What do you think is the significance of Grace's action when she confronts the soldiers and licks her thumb and touches the soldier's cheek?
Essay Topic 2
There are several metaphors throughout the book, Electric Michelangelo, perhaps one of the most striking is that of Grace and her tattoos. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define metaphor and symbolism and compare the two using specific examples both from the book and other sources. Which do you feel is more effective? Which seems better at expressing the idea of an abstract concept? Why would you use one over the other--give specific examples.
2. For what do you think Grace's body is a metaphor? Explain using specific examples. Does the metaphor work for you?
3. Write a real or hypothetical situation in your personal experience that includes one or more abstract concepts and then create a metaphor to express that experience. Next, choose a way to use symbolism in the telling of the experience. Which way seems more effective at portraying the experience?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," much narration is devoted to describing Coney Island. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Coney Island with Cy's boyhood home, Morecambe.
2. Find all the references to Coney Island and explain the relation of this setting to two of the major themes of the book.
3. How are Coney Island and the mystique of tattoos compatible? Not compatible?
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)