|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cy work?
2. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
3. What does Cy not know?
4. Why do women trust Riley?
5. What does the town council do to offenders of their policies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Riley's death and Cy's response.
2. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
3. How does Cy's mother Reeda respond to his possible apprenticeship with Riley?
4. What does Riley tell Cy about Michelangelo?
5. What does Jonty say about Riley; is it likely to be true?
6. How does Reeda die and how does this affect Cy?
7. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
8. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life has ended?
9. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
10. What major theme is touched upon in this chapter and how is it expressed here?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in Electric Michelangelo are the central focus of the novel; in other words, the characters drive the plot rather than the other way around as is the case in some novels. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of Cy Parks. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Grace. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Grace or Cy and write about them in relationship to both Grace and Cy. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 2
In part 1, it is revealed that Reeda Parks nurses dying TB patients and also assists her friend in performing abortions. This dual occupation could be considered ironic for several reasons. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define the concept of irony.
2. Why could Reeda's two occupations be considered ironic? Use examples and detail in your explanation.
3. There are a number of ironic instances in the story. Go through the text and find several instances of ironic thoughts, statements, or events and explain the situation and why you believe it to be ironic.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," much narration is devoted to describing Coney Island. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Coney Island with Cy's boyhood home, Morecambe.
2. Find all the references to Coney Island and explain the relation of this setting to two of the major themes of the book.
3. How are Coney Island and the mystique of tattoos compatible? Not compatible?
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)