|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Morecambe celebrate the coming armistice?
2. How does Cy's routine begin?
3. What do the Ladies of Leeds do?
4. Why does Cy wish his eyes could lie?
5. What do Cy, Jonty and Morris seek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life has ended?
2. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
3. How does Cy's mother Reeda respond to his possible apprenticeship with Riley?
4. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
5. What do you think is a boggart and how is it used?
6. What experience causes Cy to no longer be able to sleep under tight blankets?
7. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
8. What does Riley tell Cy about Michelangelo?
9. What does Jonty say about Riley; is it likely to be true?
10. What upsets the town council and what is Reeda's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in Electric Michelangelo are the central focus of the novel; in other words, the characters drive the plot rather than the other way around as is the case in some novels. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of Cy Parks. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Grace. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Grace or Cy and write about them in relationship to both Grace and Cy. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 2, "History's Ink," Malcolm Sedak pours acid upon Grace. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text, your research or personal experience:
1. What foreshadowing is there to warn the readers of the scene at the opening to "History's Ink" when Grace is horribly attacked? Give examples and why you think the examples foreshadow the event. Do you think something as intense as this scene needs to be foreshadowed? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the various responses to the attack. Was Claudia justified in beating Sedak? How about Henry giving Grace morphine or Cy believing he has to stay in the hospital or Grace will die? What do you think was Grace's thoughts about it as she lies in the hospital?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes," there is a description of the baby incubation exhibition. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What is the baby incubation exhibition? Could something like that exist except in fiction?
2. How is the baby incubation exhibition related thematically to the rest of the book?
3. Why does Claudia go there week after week? Do you think there would ever come a time when she would stop? When? Why would she stop going there?
4. Why do you think Claudia will allow Grace to lead her away from the baby incubation exhibition? What does this say about the friendship between the two?
5. Would you ever want to go to a baby incubation exhibition? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)