|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cy wish his eyes could lie?
2. What does Riley admire about Cy?
3. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
4. Where does Cy work?
5. At what does Cy marvel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
2. How do Riley's and Cy's styles differ when starting a job on a client?
3. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life has ended?
4. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
5. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
6. How does Cy's apprenticeship fare and what is an important lesson Cy learns?
7. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
8. How does Riley explain the colors used in tattooing?
9. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
10. How does Reeda die and how does this affect Cy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "History's Ink," Malcolm Sedak pours acid upon Grace. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text, your research or personal experience:
1. What foreshadowing is there to warn the readers of the scene at the opening to "History's Ink" when Grace is horribly attacked? Give examples and why you think the examples foreshadow the event. Do you think something as intense as this scene needs to be foreshadowed? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the various responses to the attack. Was Claudia justified in beating Sedak? How about Henry giving Grace morphine or Cy believing he has to stay in the hospital or Grace will die? What do you think was Grace's thoughts about it as she lies in the hospital?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy meets Artura and Claudia Overas.
1. Compare and contrast Cy and Artura.
2. Compare and contrast Grace and Claudia.
3. Why do you think Claudia has a larger role in the novel than Artura, who is after all, a tattoo artist like Cy and it is a book predominantly about tattoos?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of themes that run as a thread throughout the novel. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Trace the development and resolution of the theme that beauty and destruction are often related. Use specific examples to illustrate how this theme is expressed. Analyze the examples and offer an analysis of the existing political situation during this novel.
2. Trace the development and resolution of the theme of "working through pain." Use specific examples to illustrate how this theme is expressed. Analyze the examples and offer an analysis of the how the concept of duality manifest in character personalities and in the physical setting.
3. Trace the development of the theme of violence. Use specific examples to illustrate how this theme is expressed. Analyze the examples and offer an analysis as to why this theme is central to the novel's plot.
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)