|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Riley say that Cy needs to comfort customers?
2. Who does Cy recognize?
3. What does Riley tattoo on Cy's chest?
4. What does Cy realize about life?
5. What does Cy think Riley may have done while being attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does sex figure into Riley's tattoo business?
2. What major theme is touched upon in this chapter and how is it expressed here?
3. With what does the young Cy struggle?
4. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
5. What experience causes Cy to no longer be able to sleep under tight blankets?
6. What does Jonty say about Riley; is it likely to be true?
7. How does Riley explain the colors used in tattooing?
8. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
9. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
10. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Cy is working for Riley after his mother has died, Cy continues to judge life by Reeda's standards for many years after she dies. Eventually, he begins to judge life by Riley's standards. After he has moved to Brooklyn and lives in a world of which Riley nor Reeda know anything, their ideas still greatly influence his interpretations of the life around him. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Discuss how Riley's influence is still a large part of Cy's life in America.
2. Discuss how his mother's ideas inform Cy's adult life--be sure to include specific examples.
3. At what point in Cy's life does Cy begin formulating his own ideas about life? Give examples. Do Reeda's and Riley's influence ever completely fade out of Cy's mind?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," much narration is devoted to describing Coney Island. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Coney Island with Cy's boyhood home, Morecambe.
2. Find all the references to Coney Island and explain the relation of this setting to two of the major themes of the book.
3. How are Coney Island and the mystique of tattoos compatible? Not compatible?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in Electric Michelangelo are the central focus of the novel; in other words, the characters drive the plot rather than the other way around as is the case in some novels. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of Cy Parks. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Grace. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Grace or Cy and write about them in relationship to both Grace and Cy. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)