Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Riley protective?
2. How does Cy's routine begin?
3. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
4. With what does Cy decide he needs help?
5. What happens when Cy breaks the glass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is a boggart and how is it used?
2. How does Cy compare Coney Island to Morecambe?
3. How does Cy's apprenticeship fare and what is an important lesson Cy learns?
4. What secret of Claudia's does Grace hold?
5. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
6. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
7. What does the narrator say about the light in Brooklyn?
8. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
9. What does Grace want from Cy and why do you think she wants it?
10. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," the game of chess is introduced by the idea that chess is Varga's passion, and participants do not maintain European manners, but play viciously and inconsiderately. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What characters are most involved in chess? How are they involved? Give examples.
2. Cy thinks he can understand who Grace is by understanding how she plays chess. Is he successful? What does he learn about Grace from her chess-playing style?
3. Grace is playing chess when Sedak assaults her. How is chess symbolic of this assault? Does Sedak achieve checkmate? Does Grace and Cy later achieve checkmate? Explain.
4. Why do you think Chess is so important in a novel which is predominantly about the world of the tattoo parlor? Do chess and tattoos belong together somehow?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy views Henry as a younger, benign, redeemable version of Riley. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Riley and Henry.
2. Why do you think Cy is willing to take on those who need a nursemaid in a sense? (Riley, Henry, Grace) Look at the characters in the book that Cy seems to partly "caregive" and compare how Cy treats each one.
3. Do you think Cy would have been willing to take care of Grace after her disfigurement had she been willing for him to do so? How do you think their relationship would have changed over time? Better or worse?
4. How do you reconcile the young Cy at the book's opening who abhors holding basins for ill boarders with the one who seems willing to symbolically do so?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy meets Artura and Claudia Overas.
1. Compare and contrast Cy and Artura.
2. Compare and contrast Grace and Claudia.
3. Why do you think Claudia has a larger role in the novel than Artura, who is after all, a tattoo artist like Cy and it is a book predominantly about tattoos?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)