Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Riley protective?
2. How does Cy's routine begin?
3. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
4. With what does Cy decide he needs help?
5. What happens when Cy breaks the glass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is a boggart and how is it used?
2. How does Cy compare Coney Island to Morecambe?
3. How does Cy's apprenticeship fare and what is an important lesson Cy learns?
4. What secret of Claudia's does Grace hold?
5. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
6. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
7. What does the narrator say about the light in Brooklyn?
8. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
9. What does Grace want from Cy and why do you think she wants it?
10. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
As the novel opens and then moves along to its conclusion, some characters seem to change more and some seem to stay the same. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare the character of Cy from who he seems to be during the first half of the book to the person he seems to be in the latter half. How is he alike? How different? Which "person" do you like the best? Why? How is Cy more alike and more different from Riley at the end then at the beginning?
2. Compare the character of Grace from who she seems when she is first introduced to how she seems after her hospital stay. How is she the same? How different? Which "person" do you like the best? Why? Has she changed more or less than Cy in the course of the novel?
3. Compare and contrast Riley, Claudia, and Reeda from who they seem to be when they are first introduced to who they are revealed to be by the end of the story. How much do they change or become who they really are? Or do they change? Who did you like at first and then dislike by the end of the story--and vice versa?
In Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes," there is a description of the baby incubation exhibition. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What is the baby incubation exhibition? Could something like that exist except in fiction?
2. How is the baby incubation exhibition related thematically to the rest of the book?
3. Why does Claudia go there week after week? Do you think there would ever come a time when she would stop? When? Why would she stop going there?
4. Why do you think Claudia will allow Grace to lead her away from the baby incubation exhibition? What does this say about the friendship between the two?
5. Would you ever want to go to a baby incubation exhibition? Why or why not?
There are several metaphors throughout the book, Electric Michelangelo, perhaps one of the most striking is that of Grace and her tattoos. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define metaphor and symbolism and compare the two using specific examples both from the book and other sources. Which do you feel is more effective? Which seems better at expressing the idea of an abstract concept? Why would you use one over the other--give specific examples.
2. For what do you think Grace's body is a metaphor? Explain using specific examples. Does the metaphor work for you?
3. Write a real or hypothetical situation in your personal experience that includes one or more abstract concepts and then create a metaphor to express that experience. Next, choose a way to use symbolism in the telling of the experience. Which way seems more effective at portraying the experience?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)