|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Jonty Preston and Morris Gibbs?
2. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
3. What is the most important thing to remember about the man in question #61?
4. Who slices the rope?
5. What amazes Cy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
2. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
3. What experience causes Cy to no longer be able to sleep under tight blankets?
4. With what does the young Cy struggle?
5. How do Riley's and Cy's styles differ when starting a job on a client?
6. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
7. What marks Cy's transition from boyhood to manhood?
8. Describe Riley's death and Cy's response.
9. How does sex figure into Riley's tattoo business?
10. What major theme is touched upon in this chapter and how is it expressed here?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy meets Artura and Claudia Overas.
1. Compare and contrast Cy and Artura.
2. Compare and contrast Grace and Claudia.
3. Why do you think Claudia has a larger role in the novel than Artura, who is after all, a tattoo artist like Cy and it is a book predominantly about tattoos?
Essay Topic 2
As the novel opens and then moves along to its conclusion, some characters seem to change more and some seem to stay the same. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare the character of Cy from who he seems to be during the first half of the book to the person he seems to be in the latter half. How is he alike? How different? Which "person" do you like the best? Why? How is Cy more alike and more different from Riley at the end then at the beginning?
2. Compare the character of Grace from who she seems when she is first introduced to how she seems after her hospital stay. How is she the same? How different? Which "person" do you like the best? Why? Has she changed more or less than Cy in the course of the novel?
3. Compare and contrast Riley, Claudia, and Reeda from who they seem to be when they are first introduced to who they are revealed to be by the end of the story. How much do they change or become who they really are? Or do they change? Who did you like at first and then dislike by the end of the story--and vice versa?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," the game of chess is introduced by the idea that chess is Varga's passion, and participants do not maintain European manners, but play viciously and inconsiderately. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What characters are most involved in chess? How are they involved? Give examples.
2. Cy thinks he can understand who Grace is by understanding how she plays chess. Is he successful? What does he learn about Grace from her chess-playing style?
3. Grace is playing chess when Sedak assaults her. How is chess symbolic of this assault? Does Sedak achieve checkmate? Does Grace and Cy later achieve checkmate? Explain.
4. Why do you think Chess is so important in a novel which is predominantly about the world of the tattoo parlor? Do chess and tattoos belong together somehow?
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)