|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reeda admit to Cy?
2. How do women's tattoos differ from men's?
3. How does Riley die?
4. What confuses Cy?
5. What can Riley not bear to inscribe on Cy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
2. What does Cy recall as he studies cloud formations and what might this foreshadow?
3. What experience causes Cy to no longer be able to sleep under tight blankets?
4. How does the topic of sex give Cy some not-so-great memories?
5. What does Riley tell Cy about Michelangelo?
6. How does sex figure into Riley's tattoo business?
7. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
8. There are many instances of foreshadowing in this opening section. Name one and venture a guess as to what it could foreshadow.
9. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life has ended?
10. What are some of the contrasting images seen in the very beginning of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy meets Artura and Claudia Overas.
1. Compare and contrast Cy and Artura.
2. Compare and contrast Grace and Claudia.
3. Why do you think Claudia has a larger role in the novel than Artura, who is after all, a tattoo artist like Cy and it is a book predominantly about tattoos?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in Electric Michelangelo are the central focus of the novel; in other words, the characters drive the plot rather than the other way around as is the case in some novels. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of Cy Parks. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Grace. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Grace or Cy and write about them in relationship to both Grace and Cy. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 3
As Cy is working for Riley after his mother has died, Cy continues to judge life by Reeda's standards for many years after she dies. Eventually, he begins to judge life by Riley's standards. After he has moved to Brooklyn and lives in a world of which Riley nor Reeda know anything, their ideas still greatly influence his interpretations of the life around him. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Discuss how Riley's influence is still a large part of Cy's life in America.
2. Discuss how his mother's ideas inform Cy's adult life--be sure to include specific examples.
3. At what point in Cy's life does Cy begin formulating his own ideas about life? Give examples. Do Reeda's and Riley's influence ever completely fade out of Cy's mind?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)