|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cy think Riley may have done while being attacked?
2. What is the most important thing to remember about the man in question #61?
3. What does Riley tattoo on Cy's chest?
4. Who are Jonty Preston and Morris Gibbs?
5. How does Riley die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
2. What major theme is touched upon in this chapter and how is it expressed here?
3. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
4. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life has ended?
5. How does the topic of sex give Cy some not-so-great memories?
6. What does Cy recall as he studies cloud formations and what might this foreshadow?
7. How does Cy slip into starting to tattoo instead of just watching Riley and what is Riley's response?
8. What marks Cy's transition from boyhood to manhood?
9. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
10. How do Riley's and Cy's styles differ when starting a job on a client?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy views Henry as a younger, benign, redeemable version of Riley. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Riley and Henry.
2. Why do you think Cy is willing to take on those who need a nursemaid in a sense? (Riley, Henry, Grace) Look at the characters in the book that Cy seems to partly "caregive" and compare how Cy treats each one.
3. Do you think Cy would have been willing to take care of Grace after her disfigurement had she been willing for him to do so? How do you think their relationship would have changed over time? Better or worse?
4. How do you reconcile the young Cy at the book's opening who abhors holding basins for ill boarders with the one who seems willing to symbolically do so?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 1, "Salvaging Renaissance," Cy thinks that every stage in the passage of life leaves physical mementos and that tattoos can be briefly upsetting, but eventually they become just part of the anatomy. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What do the above thoughts mean to you? Do you believe the ideas to hold truth?
2. When Cy thinks that eventually tattoos become just part of the anatomy, do you think he is suggesting that tattoos have little lasting value? If so, how does he value his work?
3. If tattoos record life's moments, why do you think some people go through much pain and expense to have a tattoo removed later?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in Electric Michelangelo are the central focus of the novel; in other words, the characters drive the plot rather than the other way around as is the case in some novels. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of Cy Parks. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Grace. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Grace or Cy and write about them in relationship to both Grace and Cy. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)