|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Cy watch at Varga's?
(a) The twins having a drinking contest.
(b) A man and woman having a loud argument.
(c) Grace playing chess.
(d) Two men downing snapps and arm wrestling.
2. Why do tattooists stand apart from the tricksters and freaks?
(a) They are seen as somehow genuine and timeless.
(b) They have to have a license.
(c) They develop a true rapport with their customers.
(d) They do everything in the open.
3. What does a soldier ask Cy about Grace?
(a) If she is his girlfriend.
(b) If she is a customer.
(c) From what corner of hell he found her.
(d) If she was there to distract him from the needles.
4. Of whom does the tall nurse who sends Cy home remind Cy?
5. What does Cy assume all newcomers to New York feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grace say she will find Cy soon?
2. What has Claudia been doing for eight years?
3. Why does the management of the baby incubation exhibition allow Grace to come in for free?
4. What does Cy realize about the skin after the doctor talks to him?
5. Where does Cy go despite his vows never to return after Lulu's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives a possible hint to a terrible secret in Grace's past?
2. How does Cy compare Coney Island to Morecambe?
3. How does Cy feel about tattooing?
4. What are the sexual images Cy has of mermaids?
5. When Grace is out of the hospital and visits Cy, how is her body described and how does Cy respond?
6. What is the connection between the game of chess and Grace?
7. Describe the last image in the book and what you think is its meaning.
8. What are Sedak's motives in attacking Grace?
9. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
10. Give a physical and psychological description of Claudia.
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)