|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the police find when they go to Cy's tattoo parlor?
(a) He has hanged himself.
(b) A note explaining his actions against Sedak.
(c) The parlor is completely wrecked.
(d) He has fled with his belongings out of the country.
2. Who owns the Varga Oyster Bar?
(a) Henry Beausang.
(b) Den Jones.
(c) Arturas and Claudia Overas.
(d) Siamese-twins Mary and Valerie.
3. What happens as Grace lies in the hospital?
(a) Her assailant is killed by a Coney Island mob.
(b) Her horse dies.
(c) Her assailant is sentenced to forty years in prison.
(d) The assault becomes the talk of Coney Island.
4. With what is Coney Island drunk?
(a) With life.
(b) With vulgarity, surrealism and pure stimulation.
(c) With the idea of freedom to be.
(d) With youth.
5. Where does Cy go despite his vows never to return after Lulu's death?
(a) To watch Grace at the circus.
(b) To uptown Manhatten.
(c) To Ellis Island.
(d) To Central Park.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police think about Henry's story?
2. Why does the management of the baby incubation exhibition allow Grace to come in for free?
3. Who is Arturas?
4. What has Claudia been doing for eight years?
5. What happens on Cy's 65th birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first few days that Cy spends at the hospital.
2. Why does tattooing survive change?
3. What does Cy think about Coney Island and how do you interpret that?
4. When Cy is somewhat inebriated in Vargas, he makes what connection between Grace and his mother and how does he react to that connection?
5. Describe the first meeting between Arturas and Claudia Overas and Cy.
6. How had Grace come to be known by some many so that perhaps Sedak knows of her and judges her?
7. What is the connection between the game of chess and Grace?
8. Why do you think Cy returns to Pedder Street in Morecambe?
9. How does Cy first meet Grace?
10. When Grace is out of the hospital and visits Cy, how is her body described and how does Cy respond?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)