|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what is Grace hypnotized?
(a) The sound of the mechanical embroidery.
(b) The sound of Cy humming a hymn.
(c) The sound of the waves rolling on the beach.
(d) The murmer of Cy as he reassures his client.
2. Who takes Cy's tattoo equipment?
(a) The mafia.
(b) Three ruffians.
(c) A Latino gang.
(d) The cops.
3. What happens as Grace lies in the hospital?
(a) Her assailant is sentenced to forty years in prison.
(b) Her horse dies.
(c) Her assailant is killed by a Coney Island mob.
(d) The assault becomes the talk of Coney Island.
4. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
(a) Combing her hair.
(b) Flirting with the other soldiers.
(c) Suggesting appropriate tattoos for each soldier.
(d) Browsing through a book of flash.
5. Why do mothers drop off their babies at the incubation exhibition?
(a) They cannot care for them at home.
(b) They hope the baby will die faster there.
(c) They have to by law.
(d) They are hopeful the babies will grow into healthy, hungry, crying beings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudia do to Grace's assailant?
2. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
3. Why does Cy advise the soldiers to go wash down their arms?
4. What is a tattooist's paradise and can easily accommodate more artists?
5. What does Grace's paper show?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
2. What does the narrator say about the light in Brooklyn?
3. Describe the first few days that Cy spends at the hospital.
4. How does Grace send Eva's ghost packing?
5. Describe the first meeting between Arturas and Claudia Overas and Cy.
6. What are Sedak's motives in attacking Grace?
7. How does Cy first meet Grace?
8. Why does Cy stay open on rainy days and describe one such day.
9. What does Cy think about Coney Island and how do you interpret that?
10. How had Grace come to be known by some many so that perhaps Sedak knows of her and judges her?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)