|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cy advise the soldiers to go wash down their arms?
(a) So the blood will not ruin their uniforms.
(b) Cy advises them not to wash their arms.
(c) So no muck will get into their bloodstreams.
(d) So he doesn't have to go draw more water from next door.
2. What do the skyscrapers do to Cy?
(a) They make him think he is in heaven.
(b) They give him a kink in his neck as he constantly looks up.
(c) They scare him.
(d) They seem to pull him up through the sky and out into space.
3. By what is Cy riveted?
(a) The idea of sex with Grace while working on the tattoo.
(b) The thought that Grace was with all those soldiers right now.
(c) The idea of Reeda, Grace and the eye.
(d) The idea of working on Grace's body.
4. By what is Grace hypnotized?
(a) The sound of the mechanical embroidery.
(b) The sound of Cy humming a hymn.
(c) The murmer of Cy as he reassures his client.
(d) The sound of the waves rolling on the beach.
5. About what do the soldiers clown around with Grace?
(b) Her horse.
(c) Pictures of mermaids.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grace reassure Cy about her body?
2. What does Grace's paper show?
3. Who takes Cy's tattoo equipment?
4. Where is Cy in 1946?
5. What does life in the Bayview teach Cy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the last image in the book and what you think is its meaning.
2. Describe the first meeting between Arturas and Claudia Overas and Cy.
3. Do you think Sedak deserves what they do to him?
4. When Cy is somewhat inebriated in Vargas, he makes what connection between Grace and his mother and how does he react to that connection?
5. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
6. What is the connection between the game of chess and Grace?
7. What does the narrator say about the light in Brooklyn?
8. What are the sexual images Cy has of mermaids?
9. How had Grace come to be known by some many so that perhaps Sedak knows of her and judges her?
10. Give a physical and psychological description of Claudia.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)