|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cy go after he is thrown out of the hospital?
(a) To try to find Grace's sister.
(b) To the wharf to jump off.
(c) To check on Maximus.
(d) To drink himself into a stupor at Varga's.
2. By what is Cy riveted?
(a) The thought that Grace was with all those soldiers right now.
(b) The idea of sex with Grace while working on the tattoo.
(c) The idea of working on Grace's body.
(d) The idea of Reeda, Grace and the eye.
3. What do the police find when they go to Cy's tattoo parlor?
(a) A note explaining his actions against Sedak.
(b) He has fled with his belongings out of the country.
(c) The parlor is completely wrecked.
(d) He has hanged himself.
4. What does Cy think he sees in an apartment below him?
(a) A horse eating hay.
(b) A tiger in a cage.
(c) An alligator on the window seat.
(d) A mermaid.
5. What happens as Grace lies in the hospital?
(a) The assault becomes the talk of Coney Island.
(b) Her assailant is killed by a Coney Island mob.
(c) Her horse dies.
(d) Her assailant is sentenced to forty years in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
2. Who is Lulu?
3. Who are Grace and Maximus?
4. What does the city seem to generate?
5. Why does Cy stay at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cy think about Coney Island and how do you interpret that?
2. How does Cy first meet Grace?
3. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
4. Describe the first few days that Cy spends at the hospital.
5. What are Sedak's motives in attacking Grace?
6. What does Cy think he sees in a neighboring apartment that makes him question his sanity?
7. Why does Cy not knock on apartment number 104, though it draws him?
8. What does the narrator say about the light in Brooklyn?
9. How does Cy remember Grace?
10. Describe the first meeting between Arturas and Claudia Overas and Cy.
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)