|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grace request of Cy?
(a) That he met her at the fountain and is sober.
(b) That he go away with her.
(c) That he not try to find her.
(d) That he stop being sad.
2. Who is Lulu?
(a) A bareback trick rider.
(b) One of the co-joined twins.
(c) The gentle performing elephant that accidentally crushes a man to death.
(d) A tightrope walker.
3. How does Cy know his neighbors' names?
(a) By creating a rhyme of them.
(b) By the name tags on their various work shirts.
(c) By the sounds of their accents.
(d) From letters in the foyer mail slots and the smells coming from beneath their doors.
4. How has Riley eclipsed Reeda?
(a) As Cy's chief means of reckoning.
(b) He has not eclipsed Reeda.
(c) In that Cy can still see Riley's face in his mind.
(d) In the little aphorisms Cy remembers of Riley's.
5. By what is Cy riveted?
(a) The idea of Reeda, Grace and the eye.
(b) The idea of working on Grace's body.
(c) The thought that Grace was with all those soldiers right now.
(d) The idea of sex with Grace while working on the tattoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cy assume all newcomers to New York feel?
2. Why does Cy advise the soldiers to go wash down their arms?
3. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
4. Of what is Coney Island proof?
5. What does Cy think he sees in an apartment below him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
2. What is the story Henry gives about what happens at the asylum and do the police believe him?
3. What does the narrator say about the light in Brooklyn?
4. When Cy is somewhat inebriated in Vargas, he makes what connection between Grace and his mother and how does he react to that connection?
5. What does Cy think about Coney Island and how do you interpret that?
6. Why does tattooing survive change?
7. How does Grace send Eva's ghost packing?
8. How does Cy compare Coney Island to Morecambe?
9. What are the sexual images Cy has of mermaids?
10. How does Cy first meet Grace?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)