|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cy go after he is thrown out of the hospital?
(a) To check on Maximus.
(b) To drink himself into a stupor at Varga's.
(c) To the wharf to jump off.
(d) To try to find Grace's sister.
2. With what is Coney Island drunk?
(a) With youth.
(b) With vulgarity, surrealism and pure stimulation.
(c) With the idea of freedom to be.
(d) With life.
3. Who owns the Varga Oyster Bar?
(a) Den Jones.
(b) Henry Beausang.
(c) Siamese-twins Mary and Valerie.
(d) Arturas and Claudia Overas.
4. What do the skyscrapers do to Cy?
(a) They seem to pull him up through the sky and out into space.
(b) They give him a kink in his neck as he constantly looks up.
(c) They make him think he is in heaven.
(d) They scare him.
5. What does Cy see as a tattoo artist?
(a) He sees that people are set in their ways as strongly as a tattoo is set in the skin.
(b) He understands that people want to claim their bodies as their own site on which to tell about themselves.
(c) He sees that all people are grey.
(d) He understands a person's story changes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cy walks Grace home when he first meets her, what does he think about at the door?
2. Of what does Cy ask confirmation from Grace?
3. What is Arturas' moniker?
4. Where does Cy go despite his vows never to return after Lulu's death?
5. What is in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cy remember Grace?
2. What does Grace want from Cy and why do you think she wants it?
3. Describe the first few days that Cy spends at the hospital.
4. Why do you think Cy returns to Pedder Street in Morecambe?
5. What are Sedak's motives in attacking Grace?
6. How does Claudia become to have so many tattoos and to what does that lead Artura and Claudia?
7. Give a physical and psychological description of Claudia.
8. How is Grace described at the beginning of "The Lady of Many Eyes"?
9. What are the sexual images Cy has of mermaids?
10. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)