|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter does the Captain keep secret from his friends?
2. What does Charlotte resolve to do when she is alone after the kiss with the Captain?
3. How does the narrator describe Charlotte when Eduard comes to make love to her?
4. Where have the two young women mentioned in Part I, Chapter 1, been living for some years?
5. What language do Charlotte and Ottilie speak when they are alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eduard change in the wake of his realization of his passion for Ottilie?
2. How do the four protagonists' relationships change after Eduard evinces a passion for Ottilie?
3. What does Mittler do regarding Charlotte and Eduard's tense situation?
4. Describe Eduard's character, as the narrator paints it early in the novel.
5. Describe Eduard's estate and his, the Captain's, and Charlotte's general plans for it.
6. How does Ottilie occupy herself after Charlotte and Eduard's confrontation and Eduard's subsequent actions?
7. Briefly summarize the story behind Eduard and Charlotte's marriage.
8. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
9. How does Ottilie and Charlotte's relationship change in Part I, Chapter 17?
10. What is the general substance of the mason's address during the ceremony of the foundation stone of the pavilion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Luciane's character. What is her relation to Charlotte and Ottilie? How does Luciane's character compare specifically to Ottilie's character? What words or phrases best describe Luciane? What is notable about her interactions with others, and how do other characters feel about her and her presence at the estate? Does the narrator, through his use of tone or word choice, present Luciane in any particular manner? How does her characterization address the theme of self-contradiction in the novel? How does her character address the theme of public life versus private life in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two minor characters and discuss their significance to the main plot elements in which they appear, and how their presence, actions, or influence contribute to the thematic development of the novel as a whole. What are these minor characters' relationships with the four main characters, what social class do they occupy, and what of their personality traits seem important to you in describing their influence? How do the minor characters interact with and affect the main characters of the novel? What specific role do they have in the plot episode in which they appear? Do you think these characters or their presence in the novel symbolize anything? Suggestions for minor characters include: Herr Mittler, the architect, Luciane, Nanni, the Count, the Baroness, the schoolmaster, and the Englishman.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of sin and repentance in the novel. What kinds of "sins" are displayed throughout the novel, and what acts (if any) of "repentance" are connected to those sins? In which ways do the various characters attempt to repent, and what are they repenting for? Do any characters exemplify the theme of repentance more or less than others? If so, what is the significance of this difference in the various characters' perspectives of repentance? What are the religious and/or moral significance or connotations of repentance?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)