|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the general content of the postscript of the headmistress's letter to the mistress of the estate?
(a) Criticism of Ottilie.
(b) Praise for Charlotte.
(c) Criticism of Luciane.
(d) Praise for Maria.
2. What service does Ottilie volunteer to do for Eduard?
(a) Make the final copy of the farmstead sale contract.
(b) Finalize the design of the chapel.
(c) Finish the lengthy inventory of the household.
(d) Repair his many torn articles of clothing.
3. Where does Eduard live while away from his estate?
(a) In a room above the town inn.
(b) In a farmstead house.
(c) In the newly constructed pavilion.
(d) In a wing of the Count's mansion.
4. What language do Charlotte and Ottilie speak when they are alone?
5. What becomes the focus of Eduard's efforts regarding the landscape improvements around the estate?
(a) Accommodating Charlotte's desired shapes and tones in the gardening.
(b) Conceding to the mason's professional opinion of the architecture.
(c) Obeying the Captain's directions regarding the precise placement of decorative elements.
(d) Privileging Ottilie's joy and comfort in the landscape.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what activities do Charlotte and Ottilie engage the village girls?
2. What event leads Eduard to begin to be physically attracted to Ottilie?
3. What does Charlotte resolve to do when she is alone after the kiss with the Captain?
4. What incites Eduard to make a passionate visit to Charlotte?
5. Whose idea is it to place the pavilion in its precise future spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the event which results in Eduard finding himself attracted to Ottilie.
2. Describe the circumstances of Ottilie's death.
3. Describe the Count and the Baroness and the circumstances surrounding them.
4. In Part II, Chapter 9, where does Charlotte decide to live for a short time, and why?
5. How does the novel end?
6. Describe Eduard's and the Captain's interactions with members of the lower social classes.
7. How do the four protagonists' relationships change after Eduard evinces a passion for Ottilie?
8. Briefly describe Luciane, Charlotte's daughter from her first marriage.
9. What amusement does the Count suggest should occupy Luciane's energies?
10. Whom does Eduard meet when he walks through his own estate, and what is the significance of their meeting?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)