|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What building has been completed for the celebration planned by Eduard and the Captain?
(a) The moss hut.
(b) The pavilion.
(c) The chapel.
(d) The stables.
2. What does Eduard convince Ottilie of regarding Charlotte and/or the Captain?
(a) The Captain is preparing to duel with Eduard.
(b) Ottilie will never be loved by anyone because she is ugly.
(c) Charlotte loves the Captain and wants a divorce from Eduard.
(d) Charlotte has secretly planned for Ottilie to marry the schoolmaster.
3. During a stroll around his property with the captain and Charlotte, what activity does Eduard suddenly change his mind about engaging in, and why?
(a) He decides not to purchase a new team of horses because his carriage broke down.
(b) He decides not to plant a new stand of trees because they would detract from the views.
(c) He decides not to go rowing on the lake because he thinks of Ottilie.
(d) He decides not to ride into town because he cannot settle a debt with his architect.
4. What is the general content of the postscript of the headmistress's letter to the mistress of the estate?
(a) Praise for Maria.
(b) Criticism of Luciane.
(c) Praise for Charlotte.
(d) Criticism of Ottilie.
5. Early in the novel, what is the general feeling among the four main occupants of the household?
(a) They increasingly want more time alone instead of together.
(b) They begin to suspect one another of adultery.
(c) They find themselves quarreling over minor matters.
(d) They enjoy feelings of mutual affection and goodwill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
2. What does Ottilie set in the foundation stone with the other peoples' offerings?
3. How does Ottilie respond to Charlotte's mention of the Captain potentially getting married?
4. Which person is to be another guest at the estate?
5. What personal item does Eduard request Ottilie stop wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ottilie occupy herself after Charlotte and Eduard's confrontation and Eduard's subsequent actions?
2. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
3. How does Ottilie act around the others when she arrives at the estate?
4. Why does Charlotte object to Eduard's proposal of bringing the Captain to live at their estate?
5. What is the general substance of the mason's address during the ceremony of the foundation stone of the pavilion?
6. What event leads to a sexually charged encounter between Charlotte and the Captain, and how does Charlotte react to it?
7. Summarize the event which results in Eduard finding himself attracted to Ottilie.
8. Summarize the letters from the headmistress and the schoolmaster.
9. Describe Eduard's and the Captain's interactions with members of the lower social classes.
10. What does the Baroness discover about Eduard, and how does she react to it?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)