|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Captain and Charlotte resolve to do regarding the landscape improvements?
(a) Hurry the work so that Eduard's energies will be more properly restrained.
(b) Expand the project to use up their extra household funds.
(c) Place the entire endeavor on hold until winter is over.
(d) Use their new landscaping expertise to begin their own designing business.
2. What personal item does Eduard request Ottilie stop wearing?
(a) A pair of gloves in kid leather.
(b) A handkerchief embroidered by Charlotte.
(c) A miniature portrait of her father.
(d) A shawl knitted by her mother.
3. What language do Charlotte and Ottilie speak when they are alone?
4. How is the female guest of the estate related to the mistress of the estate?
(a) She is her step-daughter.
(b) She is her young cousin.
(c) She is her daughter.
(d) She is her niece.
5. How did the master of the estate grow up?
(a) Spoiled; he got everything he wanted.
(b) Lonely; he made no friends.
(c) Ignored; he was the youngest of many siblings.
(d) Impoverished; he lived on the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incites Eduard to make a passionate visit to Charlotte?
2. What does Eduard's note demand of Charlotte?
3. What language are the household servants ignorant of?
4. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and the captain speak of the concept of elective affinities?
5. What building do the companions find, with pleasure, that can easily hold all four of them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event leads to a sexually charged encounter between Charlotte and the Captain, and how does Charlotte react to it?
2. How does Ottilie occupy herself after Charlotte and Eduard's confrontation and Eduard's subsequent actions?
3. Briefly summarize the story the foreign visitor tells to Charlotte and Ottilie.
4. Why does Charlotte object to Eduard's proposal of bringing the Captain to live at their estate?
5. Describe Eduard's character, as the narrator paints it early in the novel.
6. Summarize the reason for the solicitor's visit to Charlotte, which is related at the beginning of Part II.
7. Summarize the letters from the headmistress and the schoolmaster.
8. Summarize the concept of "elective affinities," and describe how the Captain, Eduard, and Charlotte formulate their discussion of this concept.
9. Describe the circumstances of Ottilie's death.
10. Summarize the events which occur on Ottilie's birthday.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)