|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person is to be another guest at the estate?
2. What request does Eduard make of the person who visits him in his solitude?
(a) This person's help in obtaining a divorce.
(b) That this person take a letter to Ottilie.
(c) For the person's forgiveness and blessing.
(d) For a loan so he may buy a new house.
3. What becomes the focus of Eduard's efforts regarding the landscape improvements around the estate?
(a) Obeying the Captain's directions regarding the precise placement of decorative elements.
(b) Accommodating Charlotte's desired shapes and tones in the gardening.
(c) Privileging Ottilie's joy and comfort in the landscape.
(d) Conceding to the mason's professional opinion of the architecture.
4. Once the Captain leaves, what does Charlotte suggest to Eduard regarding Ottilie?
(a) That Eduard and Ottilie leave together to indulge their mutual passion.
(b) That Ottilie become the governess to a wealthy family.
(c) That Ottilie return to the boarding school or to her great-aunt's home.
(d) That Charlotte and Ottilie embark on a trip to Italy to view famous sculptures.
5. What language are the household servants ignorant of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What personality trait is notable about Ottilie?
2. What is one subject of the guests and hosts' conversation during the group's first dinner together?
3. What does Eduard convince Ottilie of regarding Charlotte and/or the Captain?
4. What language do Charlotte and Ottilie speak when they are alone?
5. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and the captain speak of the concept of elective affinities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confusion does Eduard experience, after conducting the Count to a midnight visit with the Baroness?
2. Where on the estate do the four protagonists increase their work, and for what coming occasion?
3. What does Eduard decide to do to further his relationship with Ottilie, and how does this attempt end up?
4. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
5. Briefly summarize the story behind Eduard and Charlotte's marriage.
6. Who is Herr Mittler, and what do Charlotte and Eduard ask for his help with?
7. Summarize the letters from the headmistress and the schoolmaster.
8. How does Eduard explain to Mittler how he feels and acts?
9. Describe the Count and the Baroness and the circumstances surrounding them.
10. What does the Baroness discover about Eduard, and how does she react to it?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)