|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eduard convince Ottilie of regarding Charlotte and/or the Captain?
(a) Charlotte has secretly planned for Ottilie to marry the schoolmaster.
(b) Charlotte loves the Captain and wants a divorce from Eduard.
(c) The Captain is preparing to duel with Eduard.
(d) Ottilie will never be loved by anyone because she is ugly.
2. Who is married to the owner of the estate?
3. During a stroll around his property with the captain and Charlotte, what activity does Eduard suddenly change his mind about engaging in, and why?
(a) He decides not to plant a new stand of trees because they would detract from the views.
(b) He decides not to purchase a new team of horses because his carriage broke down.
(c) He decides not to ride into town because he cannot settle a debt with his architect.
(d) He decides not to go rowing on the lake because he thinks of Ottilie.
4. What does Eduard propose to sell to pay for the main project undertaken by the household?
(a) The main house itself.
(b) The southern portion of land.
(c) The farmstead in the woods.
(d) The chapel in the village.
5. How do Eduard and Ottilie unexpectedly prove their compatibility with one another?
(a) By playing a game of cards.
(b) By reciting a dramatic scene.
(c) By playing music together.
(d) By engaging in a debate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What general plans do Eduard and the captain have for the estate?
2. Whom does the master of the estate propose come to live with himself and his wife?
3. What personal item does Eduard request Ottilie stop wearing?
4. Who broaches the subject to Eduard of reconciling with Charlotte?
5. What gift does Ottilie find from Eduard when she returns to her room after the celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the events which occur on Ottilie's birthday.
2. How does Eduard explain to Mittler how he feels and acts?
3. What is the substance of Charlotte and Eduard's argument at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 16, and how is it resolved?
4. How do the four protagonists' relationships change after Eduard evinces a passion for Ottilie?
5. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
6. Summarize the event which results in Eduard finding himself attracted to Ottilie.
7. Describe Eduard's character, as the narrator paints it early in the novel.
8. Summarize the letters from the headmistress and the schoolmaster.
9. How does Ottilie occupy herself after Charlotte and Eduard's confrontation and Eduard's subsequent actions?
10. Describe Eduard's and the Captain's interactions with members of the lower social classes.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)