|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in the novel, what is the general feeling among the four main occupants of the household?
(a) They find themselves quarreling over minor matters.
(b) They increasingly want more time alone instead of together.
(c) They enjoy feelings of mutual affection and goodwill.
(d) They begin to suspect one another of adultery.
2. What trait is the man who often visits the estate known for?
(a) For bragging about his wealth.
(b) For high-class begging.
(c) For settling all manner of disputes.
(d) For his many extra-marital affairs.
3. Whom does Eduard send to speak with Ottilie in private?
(a) The Captain.
(b) His confessor.
(c) His valet.
(d) The architect.
4. What is the general content of the postscript of the headmistress's letter to the mistress of the estate?
(a) Praise for Charlotte.
(b) Praise for Maria.
(c) Criticism of Ottilie.
(d) Criticism of Luciane.
5. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and the captain speak of the concept of elective affinities?
(a) In terms of 1, 2, 3, and 4.
(b) In terms of A, B, C, and D.
(c) In terms of men, women, children, and animals.
(d) In terms of apples, oranges, bananas, and pears.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the main characters decide to do with the three lakes on Eduard's estate?
2. What personal item does Eduard request Ottilie stop wearing?
3. What does Eduard convince Ottilie of regarding Charlotte and/or the Captain?
4. What habit does Eduard change as a result of Ottilie's presence and influence?
5. What does Eduard focus on in his solitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event leads to a sexually charged encounter between Charlotte and the Captain, and how does Charlotte react to it?
2. Describe the Count and the Baroness and the circumstances surrounding them.
3. What counteroffer does Charlotte make to Eduard's proposal of the Captain's visit?
4. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
5. What confusion does Eduard experience, after conducting the Count to a midnight visit with the Baroness?
6. Summarize the events which occur on Ottilie's birthday.
7. Describe Eduard's estate and his, the Captain's, and Charlotte's general plans for it.
8. Describe Eduard's and the Captain's interactions with members of the lower social classes.
9. How do the four protagonists' relationships change after Eduard evinces a passion for Ottilie?
10. What is the substance of Charlotte and Eduard's argument at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 16, and how is it resolved?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)