|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the mistress of the house think has a more-than-average interest in Ottilie?
(a) A common peasant.
(b) The master of the estate.
(c) The schoolmaster.
(d) The male guest at the estate.
2. What nickname do both the master of the estate and his male guest share?
3. What general plans do Eduard and the captain have for the estate?
(a) Renovating the main house to accommodate Eduard's growing brood.
(b) Tearing down the old stables and erect new ones.
(c) Improving the landscaping on a large scale.
(d) Cleaning up the grounds and house and prepare the estate for sale.
4. Who is married to the owner of the estate?
5. What incites Eduard to make a passionate visit to Charlotte?
(a) The idea that making love to Charlotte will cement his desire for her.
(b) The thought of Ottilie working on a project of Eduard's.
(c) The realization that he is not yet a father.
(d) The drunken dare of Eduard's male guest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Eduard send to speak with Ottilie in private?
2. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
3. What building has been completed for the celebration planned by Eduard and the Captain?
4. During a stroll around his property with the captain and Charlotte, what activity does Eduard suddenly change his mind about engaging in, and why?
5. What trait is the man who often visits the estate known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly summarize the story behind Eduard and Charlotte's marriage.
2. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
3. Describe Eduard's estate and his, the Captain's, and Charlotte's general plans for it.
4. How does Ottilie act around the others when she arrives at the estate?
5. Describe Eduard's character, as the narrator paints it early in the novel.
6. What is the substance of Charlotte and Eduard's argument at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 16, and how is it resolved?
7. How does Ottilie and Charlotte's relationship change in Part I, Chapter 17?
8. Where on the estate do the four protagonists increase their work, and for what coming occasion?
9. Why does Charlotte object to Eduard's proposal of bringing the Captain to live at their estate?
10. Describe Eduard's and the Captain's interactions with members of the lower social classes.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)