|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What personal item does Eduard request Ottilie stop wearing?
(a) A miniature portrait of her father.
(b) A shawl knitted by her mother.
(c) A handkerchief embroidered by Charlotte.
(d) A pair of gloves in kid leather.
2. What is the object of the insult Eduard receives indirectly from the Captain?
(a) Eduard's intelligence and education.
(b) Eduard's family tree.
(c) Eduard's design sense.
(d) Eduard's flute playing abilities.
3. What does the male guest criticize about the estate?
(a) The boring, humdrum nature of the surrounding area.
(b) The master's indecent liberties taken with the serving-girls.
(c) The mistress's planning and layout of the improvements.
(d) The general lack of aptitude of the servants.
4. Who broaches the subject to Eduard of reconciling with Charlotte?
(a) The Captain.
(b) Herr Mittler.
(c) The parson.
(d) The Baroness.
5. What does the female guest find disagreeable in Eduard?
(a) His apparent passion for Ottilie.
(b) His treatment of Charlotte in front of guests.
(c) His lack of detail in the landscape planning.
(d) His inability to carry on rational conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea of the male guest strikes Charlotte like a "thunderbolt?"
2. What event does the captain suggest must be celebrated in a special manner?
3. What is the name of the first character introduced in the novel?
4. What is the name of the peasant girl who attaches herself to Ottilie?
5. What incites Eduard to make a passionate visit to Charlotte?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ottilie and Charlotte's relationship change in Part I, Chapter 17?
2. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
3. What is the substance of Charlotte and Eduard's argument at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 16, and how is it resolved?
4. What event leads to a sexually charged encounter between Charlotte and the Captain, and how does Charlotte react to it?
5. Which of Luciane's experiments in "moral regeneration" goes wrong, which Charlotte hears about after Luciane leaves the estate?
6. Describe the Count and the Baroness and the circumstances surrounding them.
7. What does Eduard decide to do to further his relationship with Ottilie, and how does this attempt end up?
8. In Part II, Chapter 9, where does Charlotte decide to live for a short time, and why?
9. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
10. What is problematic about Luciane's interactions with other people, and what is one example of this?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)