|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person is to be another guest at the estate?
2. What does the schoolmaster's second letter say about Ottilie, in general?
(a) That she is intelligent, but not suited to the environment of the school.
(b) That she is a troublemaker and that the other girls fear and shun her.
(c) That she is one of the stupidest girls at the school, and he recommends she be sent home.
(d) That she is the first girl of the school and has won all the year's academic prizes.
3. What incites Eduard to make a passionate visit to Charlotte?
(a) The idea that making love to Charlotte will cement his desire for her.
(b) The drunken dare of Eduard's male guest.
(c) The realization that he is not yet a father.
(d) The thought of Ottilie working on a project of Eduard's.
4. What service does Ottilie volunteer to do for Eduard?
(a) Make the final copy of the farmstead sale contract.
(b) Repair his many torn articles of clothing.
(c) Finalize the design of the chapel.
(d) Finish the lengthy inventory of the household.
5. What subject do Eduard and his male guest discuss in the night?
(a) The fleeting constancy of their wives.
(b) Their history working for the provincial governor.
(c) The questionable politics of the Captain.
(d) Their old amorous adventures at court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlotte resolve to do when she is alone after the kiss with the Captain?
2. What does Eduard focus on in his solitude?
3. What do the Captain and Charlotte resolve to do regarding the landscape improvements?
4. What does the female guest find disagreeable in Eduard?
5. Whose idea is it to place the pavilion in its precise future spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confusion does Eduard experience, after conducting the Count to a midnight visit with the Baroness?
2. What is the substance of Charlotte and Eduard's argument at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 16, and how is it resolved?
3. Describe Eduard's estate and his, the Captain's, and Charlotte's general plans for it.
4. How does Ottilie occupy herself after Charlotte and Eduard's confrontation and Eduard's subsequent actions?
5. How does Ottilie and Charlotte's relationship change in Part I, Chapter 17?
6. How does Eduard explain to Mittler how he feels and acts?
7. In Part I, Chapter 6, what activity becomes the clear marker of the shifting compatibilities of the four protagonists?
8. Where on the estate do the four protagonists increase their work, and for what coming occasion?
9. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
10. Why does Charlotte object to Eduard's proposal of bringing the Captain to live at their estate?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)