|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person is to be another guest at the estate?
2. What is the name of the peasant girl who attaches herself to Ottilie?
3. What final decision does Eduard make at the end of Part I?
(a) To run away with Ottilie.
(b) To return to Charlotte.
(c) To commit suicide.
(d) To rejoin the military.
4. How do Eduard and Ottilie unexpectedly prove their compatibility with one another?
(a) By playing a game of cards.
(b) By reciting a dramatic scene.
(c) By playing music together.
(d) By engaging in a debate.
5. How does Eduard view his previous feelings of love, before he loved Ottilie?
(a) As the pinnacles of human feeling.
(b) As practice for his future seduction of Ottilie.
(c) As mere wastes of time.
(d) As necessary endeavors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who broaches the subject to Eduard of reconciling with Charlotte?
2. What is the object of the insult Eduard receives indirectly from the Captain?
3. Whom does Eduard send to speak with Ottilie in private?
4. What language do Charlotte and Ottilie speak when they are alone?
5. What does the schoolmaster's second letter say about Ottilie, in general?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general substance of the mason's address during the ceremony of the foundation stone of the pavilion?
2. Describe the Count and the Baroness and the circumstances surrounding them.
3. How does Eduard change in the wake of his realization of his passion for Ottilie?
4. What is the substance of Charlotte and Eduard's argument at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 16, and how is it resolved?
5. Describe Eduard's character, as the narrator paints it early in the novel.
6. What changes in the Captain's future situation come to light in Part I, Chapter 14?
7. How does Ottilie and Charlotte's relationship change in Part I, Chapter 17?
8. Describe Eduard's estate and his, the Captain's, and Charlotte's general plans for it.
9. Summarize the letters from the headmistress and the schoolmaster.
10. What does Eduard decide to do to further his relationship with Ottilie, and how does this attempt end up?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)