|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who broaches the subject to Eduard of reconciling with Charlotte?
(a) The parson.
(b) The Captain.
(c) Herr Mittler.
(d) The Baroness.
2. What does Ottilie see as her "everything?"
(a) Her friendship with Charlotte.
(b) Her love for Eduard.
(c) Her attention to her reading.
(d) Her passion for gardening.
3. What personal item does Eduard request Ottilie stop wearing?
(a) A handkerchief embroidered by Charlotte.
(b) A pair of gloves in kid leather.
(c) A miniature portrait of her father.
(d) A shawl knitted by her mother.
4. What idea of the male guest strikes Charlotte like a "thunderbolt?"
(a) The man feels Ottilie is dull company, and he advises Charlotte to turn her out of the house.
(b) The man would like to recommend the Captain to a position with a high powered friend.
(c) The man advises Charlotte to run away with the Captain since they are clearly in love.
(d) The man suggests that Charlotte and Eduard divorce so they may marry others.
5. Who addresses the crowd at the foundation stone ceremony?
(a) The beggar.
(b) The architect.
(c) The mason.
(d) The gardener.
Short Answer Questions
1. What final decision does Eduard make at the end of Part I?
2. What habit does Eduard change as a result of Ottilie's presence and influence?
3. What does the schoolmaster's second letter say about Ottilie, in general?
4. What incident prompts the captain and Charlotte to kiss?
5. How is the female guest of the estate related to the mistress of the estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Baroness discover about Eduard, and how does she react to it?
2. For what reason does the foursome decide to build a pavilion?
3. Describe the Count and the Baroness and the circumstances surrounding them.
4. How does Ottilie act around the others when she arrives at the estate?
5. How does Eduard change in the wake of his realization of his passion for Ottilie?
6. What is the substance of Charlotte and Eduard's argument at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 16, and how is it resolved?
7. What changes in the Captain's future situation come to light in Part I, Chapter 14?
8. What confusion does Eduard experience, after conducting the Count to a midnight visit with the Baroness?
9. Summarize the events which occur on Ottilie's birthday.
10. Describe Eduard's estate and his, the Captain's, and Charlotte's general plans for it.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)