|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is married to the owner of the estate?
2. What activity does the male guest propose to his hosts upon his first look at the lands around the estate?
(a) That the trio make a detailed survey of the land.
(b) That the trio hire a friend of his for the gardening.
(c) That the trio make a journey to the court.
(d) That the trio return to the comfort of the main house.
3. What is notable about the letters Eduard writes to Ottilie?
(a) The content of the letters is illegible, mad gibberish.
(b) Charlotte intercepts the letters and answers them in Ottilie's handwriting.
(c) Eduard also writes responses and signs them with Ottilie's name.
(d) The letters always come back in the post as "undeliverable."
4. What building do the captain and Eduard decide to construct on the grounds of the estate?
(a) A pavilion.
(b) A boathouse.
(c) A chapel.
(d) A stable.
5. What does Eduard propose to sell to pay for the main project undertaken by the household?
(a) The chapel in the village.
(b) The southern portion of land.
(c) The main house itself.
(d) The farmstead in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Charlotte and decides to take her news back to Eduard?
2. What is the name of the first character introduced in the novel?
3. What subject do Eduard and his male guest discuss in the night?
4. Early in the novel, what is the general feeling among the four main occupants of the household?
5. What is one subject of the guests and hosts' conversation during the group's first dinner together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eduard change in the wake of his realization of his passion for Ottilie?
2. For what reason does the foursome decide to build a pavilion?
3. Where on the estate do the four protagonists increase their work, and for what coming occasion?
4. What does the Baroness discover about Eduard, and how does she react to it?
5. What is the substance of Charlotte and Eduard's argument at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 16, and how is it resolved?
6. What confusion does Eduard experience, after conducting the Count to a midnight visit with the Baroness?
7. What event leads to a sexually charged encounter between Charlotte and the Captain, and how does Charlotte react to it?
8. Who is Herr Mittler, and what do Charlotte and Eduard ask for his help with?
9. Summarize the letters from the headmistress and the schoolmaster.
10. What does Mittler do regarding Charlotte and Eduard's tense situation?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)