|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit does Eduard change as a result of Ottilie's presence and influence?
(a) His recitation of the day's events.
(b) His attendance at church.
(c) His habit of pipe smoking.
(d) His way of reading.
2. At whom does Eduard lose his temper while making the new plans for the estate?
(a) A village girl.
(b) A captain.
(c) A parson.
(d) A beggar.
3. What prevents Eduard from going through with his plan to keep Ottilie always near him?
(a) Ottilie's efforts to distract Charlotte are so transparent that Charlotte suspects them both.
(b) The moss hut begins to crumble and fall apart and is not comfortable as a love-nest.
(c) The first letters between him and Ottilie fall and are picked up by others.
(d) Eduard is unable to secure passage into England for himself and Ottilie.
4. What building has been completed for the celebration planned by Eduard and the Captain?
(a) The pavilion.
(b) The chapel.
(c) The stables.
(d) The moss hut.
5. What is one subject of the guests and hosts' conversation during the group's first dinner together?
(a) The new taxation structure favored by the monarchy.
(b) Eduard and Charlotte's early love at court.
(c) Ottilie's schooling and her future as a governess.
(d) The value of the farmstead and its surrounding fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit the estate after the foundation stone ceremony?
2. Who broaches the subject to Eduard of reconciling with Charlotte?
3. What does the schoolmaster's second letter say about Ottilie, in general?
4. After hearing of Charlotte's physical condition, how does Eduard feel?
5. What does Eduard focus on in his solitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
2. What is the general substance of the mason's address during the ceremony of the foundation stone of the pavilion?
3. Whom does Eduard meet when he walks through his own estate, and what is the significance of their meeting?
4. How does Charlotte discover Eduard has rejoined the military, and how does she respond to this news?
5. Briefly summarize the story behind Eduard and Charlotte's marriage.
6. Summarize the letters from the headmistress and the schoolmaster.
7. What are Charlotte's views of memorials?
8. Summarize the events which occur on Ottilie's birthday.
9. What is the general substance of Ottilie's fourth journal entry?
10. What event at the end of Part II, Chapter 8, is saturated with both happiness and grave foreboding, and how?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)