|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject do Eduard and his male guest discuss in the night?
(a) Their old amorous adventures at court.
(b) The questionable politics of the Captain.
(c) The fleeting constancy of their wives.
(d) Their history working for the provincial governor.
2. What incident prompts the captain and Charlotte to kiss?
(a) The captain kisses Charlotte to thank her for securing him a job.
(b) Charlotte confesses her dark desires to the captain.
(c) The captain gets the boat stuck and carries Charlotte to safety.
(d) Eduard and the captain duel over Ottilie's affections.
3. Once the Captain leaves, what does Charlotte suggest to Eduard regarding Ottilie?
(a) That Ottilie return to the boarding school or to her great-aunt's home.
(b) That Charlotte and Ottilie embark on a trip to Italy to view famous sculptures.
(c) That Eduard and Ottilie leave together to indulge their mutual passion.
(d) That Ottilie become the governess to a wealthy family.
4. What do the Captain and Charlotte resolve to do regarding the landscape improvements?
(a) Expand the project to use up their extra household funds.
(b) Place the entire endeavor on hold until winter is over.
(c) Hurry the work so that Eduard's energies will be more properly restrained.
(d) Use their new landscaping expertise to begin their own designing business.
5. How does Charlotte respond to Eduard's passion for Ottilie?
(a) Charlotte keeps Ottilie near her, watches her closely, and thinks Ottilie should be sent away.
(b) Charlotte begins to act nasty and aggressive toward Ottilie and humiliates her in front of company.
(c) Charlotte is delighted and begins to openly speak of her desire for the Captain.
(d) Charlotte does nothing because she is too shocked and saddened to act.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have the two young women mentioned in Part I, Chapter 1, been living for some years?
2. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
3. To whom does the captain find himself irresistibly attracted?
4. At whom does Eduard lose his temper while making the new plans for the estate?
5. What prevents Eduard from going through with his plan to keep Ottilie always near him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general substance of the mason's address during the ceremony of the foundation stone of the pavilion?
2. How does Ottilie occupy herself after Charlotte and Eduard's confrontation and Eduard's subsequent actions?
3. What changes in the Captain's future situation come to light in Part I, Chapter 14?
4. Briefly summarize the story behind Eduard and Charlotte's marriage.
5. How does Eduard explain to Mittler how he feels and acts?
6. How does Eduard change in the wake of his realization of his passion for Ottilie?
7. Describe Eduard's character, as the narrator paints it early in the novel.
8. How do the four protagonists' relationships change after Eduard evinces a passion for Ottilie?
9. Summarize the concept of "elective affinities," and describe how the Captain, Eduard, and Charlotte formulate their discussion of this concept.
10. In Part I, Chapter 6, what activity becomes the clear marker of the shifting compatibilities of the four protagonists?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)