|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eduard convince Ottilie of regarding Charlotte and/or the Captain?
(a) Charlotte has secretly planned for Ottilie to marry the schoolmaster.
(b) Charlotte loves the Captain and wants a divorce from Eduard.
(c) Ottilie will never be loved by anyone because she is ugly.
(d) The Captain is preparing to duel with Eduard.
2. What language do Charlotte and Ottilie speak when they are alone?
3. What becomes the focus of Eduard's efforts regarding the landscape improvements around the estate?
(a) Obeying the Captain's directions regarding the precise placement of decorative elements.
(b) Accommodating Charlotte's desired shapes and tones in the gardening.
(c) Conceding to the mason's professional opinion of the architecture.
(d) Privileging Ottilie's joy and comfort in the landscape.
4. What event do the men resolve should mark the celebratory finishing date of their various improvements to the landscape of the estate?
(a) The anniversary of the Captain's arrival at the estate.
(b) Charlotte and Eduard's anniversary.
(c) The death of Herr Mittler.
(d) Ottilie's birthday.
5. After Charlotte confronts him, what does Eduard resolve to do?
(a) To obtain a divorce.
(b) To seduce Ottilie.
(c) To leave home.
(d) To kill himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject do Eduard and his male guest discuss in the night?
2. What is one notable pet peeve of the master of the estate?
3. What language are the household servants ignorant of?
4. What trait is the man who often visits the estate known for?
5. Where does Eduard live while away from his estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eduard's and the Captain's interactions with members of the lower social classes.
2. What is the general substance of the mason's address during the ceremony of the foundation stone of the pavilion?
3. Why does Charlotte object to Eduard's proposal of bringing the Captain to live at their estate?
4. For what reason does the foursome decide to build a pavilion?
5. What counteroffer does Charlotte make to Eduard's proposal of the Captain's visit?
6. Who is Herr Mittler, and what do Charlotte and Eduard ask for his help with?
7. Summarize the events which occur on Ottilie's birthday.
8. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
9. How do the four protagonists' relationships change after Eduard evinces a passion for Ottilie?
10. What changes in the Captain's future situation come to light in Part I, Chapter 14?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)