|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eduard's note demand of Charlotte?
(a) That Charlotte move away from the estate and live as a widow.
(b) That Charlotte keep Ottilie at the estate and not send her away.
(c) That Charlotte send Ottilie to live with her great aunt.
(d) That Charlotte treat Ottilie as an equal, not as a lesser relative.
2. What activity does the male guest propose to his hosts upon his first look at the lands around the estate?
(a) That the trio make a journey to the court.
(b) That the trio make a detailed survey of the land.
(c) That the trio return to the comfort of the main house.
(d) That the trio hire a friend of his for the gardening.
3. What is the name of the first character introduced in the novel?
4. Who broaches the subject to Eduard of reconciling with Charlotte?
(a) The parson.
(b) Herr Mittler.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The Baroness.
5. Once the Captain leaves, what does Charlotte suggest to Eduard regarding Ottilie?
(a) That Ottilie return to the boarding school or to her great-aunt's home.
(b) That Ottilie become the governess to a wealthy family.
(c) That Eduard and Ottilie leave together to indulge their mutual passion.
(d) That Charlotte and Ottilie embark on a trip to Italy to view famous sculptures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the contract Ottilie copied does Eduard find singular and astonishing?
2. Who addresses the crowd at the foundation stone ceremony?
3. What very capable person, who takes over the work of the landscape improvements, is the Captain very pleased with?
4. What trait is the man who often visits the estate known for?
5. What incident prompts the captain and Charlotte to kiss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the four protagonists' relationships change after Eduard evinces a passion for Ottilie?
2. What event leads to a sexually charged encounter between Charlotte and the Captain, and how does Charlotte react to it?
3. What counteroffer does Charlotte make to Eduard's proposal of the Captain's visit?
4. How does Ottilie and Charlotte's relationship change in Part I, Chapter 17?
5. Describe Eduard's and the Captain's interactions with members of the lower social classes.
6. How does Eduard change in the wake of his realization of his passion for Ottilie?
7. Summarize the letters from the headmistress and the schoolmaster.
8. Describe the Count and the Baroness and the circumstances surrounding them.
9. Summarize the events which occur on Ottilie's birthday.
10. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)