|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the contract Ottilie copied does Eduard find singular and astonishing?
(a) The entire document is completely illegible.
(b) The contract appears to be entirely in Charlotte's handwriting.
(c) The last portion of the contract seems to be copied in his own hand.
(d) The contract reads as a novel, rather than a legal document.
2. How does Eduard plan to celebrate the finishing of the landscape improvements, as well as to show his affection for Ottilie?
(a) With a fireworks show.
(b) By giving gifts to the guests.
(c) With a magnificent feast.
(d) By absconding with Ottilie.
3. What is the name of the man who often visits the estate?
4. After Charlotte confronts him, what does Eduard resolve to do?
(a) To obtain a divorce.
(b) To kill himself.
(c) To seduce Ottilie.
(d) To leave home.
5. How do Eduard and Charlotte act in front of the others the morning after they sleep together?
(a) As if they are proud to have reaffirmed their love.
(b) As if they are suspicious of the thoughts of others.
(c) As if they are ashamed and contrite of their actions.
(d) As if nothing has passed between them the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of submissiveness does Charlotte warn Ottilie against?
2. Early in the novel, what is the general feeling among the four main occupants of the household?
3. How is the female guest of the estate related to the mistress of the estate?
4. What do the main characters decide to do with the three lakes on Eduard's estate?
5. What building has been completed for the celebration planned by Eduard and the Captain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Baroness discover about Eduard, and how does she react to it?
2. How does Eduard change in the wake of his realization of his passion for Ottilie?
3. Describe Eduard's character, as the narrator paints it early in the novel.
4. How does Ottilie act around the others when she arrives at the estate?
5. Describe Eduard's estate and his, the Captain's, and Charlotte's general plans for it.
6. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
7. How does Ottilie and Charlotte's relationship change in Part I, Chapter 17?
8. How does Ottilie occupy herself after Charlotte and Eduard's confrontation and Eduard's subsequent actions?
9. Who is Herr Mittler, and what do Charlotte and Eduard ask for his help with?
10. Describe Eduard's and the Captain's interactions with members of the lower social classes.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)