|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Charlotte and decides to take her news back to Eduard?
(a) Herr Mittler.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The architect.
(d) The Count.
2. What prevents Eduard from going through with his plan to keep Ottilie always near him?
(a) The moss hut begins to crumble and fall apart and is not comfortable as a love-nest.
(b) Ottilie's efforts to distract Charlotte are so transparent that Charlotte suspects them both.
(c) The first letters between him and Ottilie fall and are picked up by others.
(d) Eduard is unable to secure passage into England for himself and Ottilie.
3. How is the female guest of the estate related to the mistress of the estate?
(a) She is her daughter.
(b) She is her niece.
(c) She is her step-daughter.
(d) She is her young cousin.
4. What do the Captain and Charlotte resolve to do regarding the landscape improvements?
(a) Place the entire endeavor on hold until winter is over.
(b) Hurry the work so that Eduard's energies will be more properly restrained.
(c) Expand the project to use up their extra household funds.
(d) Use their new landscaping expertise to begin their own designing business.
5. Early in the novel, what is the general feeling among the four main occupants of the household?
(a) They find themselves quarreling over minor matters.
(b) They begin to suspect one another of adultery.
(c) They enjoy feelings of mutual affection and goodwill.
(d) They increasingly want more time alone instead of together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Eduard send to speak with Ottilie in private?
2. What language are the household servants ignorant of?
3. What activity does the male guest propose to his hosts upon his first look at the lands around the estate?
4. What objects on Eduard's property are exactly the same age as Ottilie?
5. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and the captain speak of the concept of elective affinities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the substance of Charlotte and Eduard's argument at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 16, and how is it resolved?
2. Describe Eduard's and the Captain's interactions with members of the lower social classes.
3. How does Ottilie act around the others when she arrives at the estate?
4. What confusion does Eduard experience, after conducting the Count to a midnight visit with the Baroness?
5. What sudden action does Eduard take after the Captain leaves the household?
6. Summarize the letters from the headmistress and the schoolmaster.
7. What does Eduard decide to do to further his relationship with Ottilie, and how does this attempt end up?
8. Describe the Count and the Baroness and the circumstances surrounding them.
9. For what reason does the foursome decide to build a pavilion?
10. Describe Eduard's character, as the narrator paints it early in the novel.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)