|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hearing of Charlotte's physical condition, how does Eduard feel?
(a) Ready and happy for the future.
(b) Encouraged and refreshed.
(c) Ashamed that he deserted his wife.
(d) That he wants cease to exist.
2. What do the main characters decide to do with the three lakes on Eduard's estate?
(a) Bring down the dams to make one large lake.
(b) Drain one of the lakes to irrigate the fields.
(c) Reinforce all three dams to prevent flooding.
(d) Sell the land rights around the largest lake.
3. Where does Eduard live while away from his estate?
(a) In a farmstead house.
(b) In a room above the town inn.
(c) In the newly constructed pavilion.
(d) In a wing of the Count's mansion.
4. What does Eduard propose to sell to pay for the main project undertaken by the household?
(a) The southern portion of land.
(b) The main house itself.
(c) The chapel in the village.
(d) The farmstead in the woods.
5. Who is married to the owner of the estate?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the mistress of the house think has a more-than-average interest in Ottilie?
2. What prevents Eduard from going through with his plan to keep Ottilie always near him?
3. What significant physical condition is revealed about Charlotte in Part I, Chapter 18?
4. What event leads Eduard to begin to be physically attracted to Ottilie?
5. To whom does the captain find himself irresistibly attracted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eduard change in the wake of his realization of his passion for Ottilie?
2. Summarize the event which results in Eduard finding himself attracted to Ottilie.
3. Who is Herr Mittler, and what do Charlotte and Eduard ask for his help with?
4. How does Ottilie and Charlotte's relationship change in Part I, Chapter 17?
5. How does Ottilie act around the others when she arrives at the estate?
6. Describe Eduard's character, as the narrator paints it early in the novel.
7. What confusion does Eduard experience, after conducting the Count to a midnight visit with the Baroness?
8. Summarize the concept of "elective affinities," and describe how the Captain, Eduard, and Charlotte formulate their discussion of this concept.
9. How do the four protagonists' relationships change after Eduard evinces a passion for Ottilie?
10. What does Mittler do regarding Charlotte and Eduard's tense situation?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)