|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the female guest of the estate related to the mistress of the estate?
(a) She is her daughter.
(b) She is her young cousin.
(c) She is her step-daughter.
(d) She is her niece.
2. What trait is the man who often visits the estate known for?
(a) For bragging about his wealth.
(b) For his many extra-marital affairs.
(c) For settling all manner of disputes.
(d) For high-class begging.
3. What incident prompts the captain and Charlotte to kiss?
(a) Eduard and the captain duel over Ottilie's affections.
(b) Charlotte confesses her dark desires to the captain.
(c) The captain gets the boat stuck and carries Charlotte to safety.
(d) The captain kisses Charlotte to thank her for securing him a job.
4. What is the general content of the postscript of the headmistress's letter to the mistress of the estate?
(a) Praise for Charlotte.
(b) Praise for Maria.
(c) Criticism of Luciane.
(d) Criticism of Ottilie.
5. What final decision does Eduard make at the end of Part I?
(a) To rejoin the military.
(b) To commit suicide.
(c) To run away with Ottilie.
(d) To return to Charlotte.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language are the household servants ignorant of?
2. What letter does the Captain keep secret from his friends?
3. After hearing of Charlotte's physical condition, how does Eduard feel?
4. Whom does Eduard send to speak with Ottilie in private?
5. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the substance of Charlotte and Eduard's argument at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 16, and how is it resolved?
2. How does Eduard change in the wake of his realization of his passion for Ottilie?
3. Who is Herr Mittler, and what do Charlotte and Eduard ask for his help with?
4. What changes in the Captain's future situation come to light in Part I, Chapter 14?
5. What counteroffer does Charlotte make to Eduard's proposal of the Captain's visit?
6. Briefly summarize the story behind Eduard and Charlotte's marriage.
7. Describe the Count and the Baroness and the circumstances surrounding them.
8. How do the four protagonists' relationships change after Eduard evinces a passion for Ottilie?
9. How does Ottilie and Charlotte's relationship change in Part I, Chapter 17?
10. How does Ottilie act around the others when she arrives at the estate?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)