|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the first character introduced in the novel?
2. What letter does the Captain keep secret from his friends?
(a) One from the mason to the architect concerning the fleecing of Eduard's estate.
(b) One from Ottilie to Eduard that is salacious in its content.
(c) One from the Count containing a most promising job offer.
(d) One from an officer which reactivates the Captain's military service.
3. What nickname do both the master of the estate and his male guest share?
4. What trait is the man who often visits the estate known for?
(a) For his many extra-marital affairs.
(b) For bragging about his wealth.
(c) For high-class begging.
(d) For settling all manner of disputes.
5. Whom does Eduard send to speak with Ottilie in private?
(a) His confessor.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The architect.
(d) His valet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eduard plan to celebrate the finishing of the landscape improvements, as well as to show his affection for Ottilie?
2. What does the schoolmaster's second letter say about Ottilie, in general?
3. Early in the novel, what is the general feeling among the four main occupants of the household?
4. What request does Eduard make of the person who visits him in his solitude?
5. What gift does Ottilie find from Eduard when she returns to her room after the celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eduard decide to do to further his relationship with Ottilie, and how does this attempt end up?
2. Summarize the events which occur on Ottilie's birthday.
3. What does the Baroness discover about Eduard, and how does she react to it?
4. What counteroffer does Charlotte make to Eduard's proposal of the Captain's visit?
5. What event leads to a sexually charged encounter between Charlotte and the Captain, and how does Charlotte react to it?
6. How do the four protagonists' relationships change after Eduard evinces a passion for Ottilie?
7. Why does Charlotte object to Eduard's proposal of bringing the Captain to live at their estate?
8. Briefly summarize the story behind Eduard and Charlotte's marriage.
9. For what reason does the foursome decide to build a pavilion?
10. Who is Herr Mittler, and what do Charlotte and Eduard ask for his help with?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)