|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event do the men resolve should mark the celebratory finishing date of their various improvements to the landscape of the estate?
(a) Charlotte and Eduard's anniversary.
(b) Ottilie's birthday.
(c) The death of Herr Mittler.
(d) The anniversary of the Captain's arrival at the estate.
2. Where does Eduard live while away from his estate?
(a) In a farmstead house.
(b) In a wing of the Count's mansion.
(c) In the newly constructed pavilion.
(d) In a room above the town inn.
3. What is notable about the letters Eduard writes to Ottilie?
(a) Charlotte intercepts the letters and answers them in Ottilie's handwriting.
(b) Eduard also writes responses and signs them with Ottilie's name.
(c) The letters always come back in the post as "undeliverable."
(d) The content of the letters is illegible, mad gibberish.
4. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and the captain speak of the concept of elective affinities?
(a) In terms of 1, 2, 3, and 4.
(b) In terms of men, women, children, and animals.
(c) In terms of apples, oranges, bananas, and pears.
(d) In terms of A, B, C, and D.
5. What habit does Eduard change as a result of Ottilie's presence and influence?
(a) His habit of pipe smoking.
(b) His way of reading.
(c) His attendance at church.
(d) His recitation of the day's events.
6. How does Ottilie respond to Charlotte's mention of the Captain potentially getting married?
(a) She makes no response at all and goes about life as usual.
(b) She becomes suspicious of Charlotte.
(c) She cruelly gushes about how the Captain will make a fine husband to another woman.
(d) She asks Charlotte directly about her relationship with the Captain.
7. What letter does the Captain keep secret from his friends?
(a) One from the mason to the architect concerning the fleecing of Eduard's estate.
(b) One from Ottilie to Eduard that is salacious in its content.
(c) One from an officer which reactivates the Captain's military service.
(d) One from the Count containing a most promising job offer.
8. Which person is to be another guest at the estate?
9. What do the Captain and Charlotte resolve to do regarding the landscape improvements?
(a) Place the entire endeavor on hold until winter is over.
(b) Expand the project to use up their extra household funds.
(c) Hurry the work so that Eduard's energies will be more properly restrained.
(d) Use their new landscaping expertise to begin their own designing business.
10. After hearing of Charlotte's physical condition, how does Eduard feel?
(a) Ready and happy for the future.
(b) Ashamed that he deserted his wife.
(c) Encouraged and refreshed.
(d) That he wants cease to exist.
11. What nickname do both the master of the estate and his male guest share?
12. What very capable person, who takes over the work of the landscape improvements, is the Captain very pleased with?
(a) The architect.
(b) The beggar.
(c) The gardener.
(d) The parson.
13. What request does Eduard make of the person who visits him in his solitude?
(a) For the person's forgiveness and blessing.
(b) That this person take a letter to Ottilie.
(c) This person's help in obtaining a divorce.
(d) For a loan so he may buy a new house.
14. Whom does the master of the estate propose come to live with himself and his wife?
(a) The Count.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The Baroness.
(d) The General.
15. Whom does Eduard send to speak with Ottilie in private?
(a) The architect.
(b) His confessor.
(c) The Captain.
(d) His valet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building do the captain and Eduard decide to construct on the grounds of the estate?
2. What personality trait is notable about Ottilie?
3. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
4. What does the schoolmaster's second letter say about Ottilie, in general?
5. What is the name of the man who often visits the estate?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)