|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ottilie see as her "everything?"
(a) Her friendship with Charlotte.
(b) Her love for Eduard.
(c) Her passion for gardening.
(d) Her attention to her reading.
2. Whom does the master of the estate propose come to live with himself and his wife?
(a) The Baroness.
(b) The General.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The Count.
3. What do Eduard and Charlotte disagree strongly about in the wake of the frightening event during the festivities?
(a) Whether the fireworks show should go on as planned.
(b) When they should reschedule the entire event.
(c) Whom among the guests is worthy of being invited to dinner.
(d) How to tastefully disperse the guests who stay too late.
4. What frightening event mars the celebration Eduard had so carefully planned?
(a) A madman shoots a party guest and runs away
(b) A dam collapses and spills people into the water.
(c) A violent storm frightens the guests.
(d) A horse rears, throwing its rider, and striking a few people.
5. What does Eduard convince Ottilie of regarding Charlotte and/or the Captain?
(a) Charlotte has secretly planned for Ottilie to marry the schoolmaster.
(b) Ottilie will never be loved by anyone because she is ugly.
(c) Charlotte loves the Captain and wants a divorce from Eduard.
(d) The Captain is preparing to duel with Eduard.
6. How does Eduard resolve to fulfill his growing need to be always around Ottilie?
(a) He decides they must run away together.
(b) He asks Ottilie to try to distract Charlotte.
(c) By building a secret love nest out of the moss hut.
(d) By conducting a secret correspondence with her.
7. What do the Captain and Charlotte resolve to do regarding the landscape improvements?
(a) Expand the project to use up their extra household funds.
(b) Use their new landscaping expertise to begin their own designing business.
(c) Hurry the work so that Eduard's energies will be more properly restrained.
(d) Place the entire endeavor on hold until winter is over.
8. Who does the mistress of the house think has a more-than-average interest in Ottilie?
(a) The male guest at the estate.
(b) The master of the estate.
(c) The schoolmaster.
(d) A common peasant.
9. Which person is to be another guest at the estate?
10. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
(a) The pitchers which were supposed to contain water contained wine.
(b) Charlotte falls from a cliff but is inexplicably uninjured.
(c) A crystal goblet disappears instead of shattering on the ground.
(d) A man has a heart attack but survives and dances a merry jig.
11. What language are the household servants ignorant of?
12. What is the object of the insult Eduard receives indirectly from the Captain?
(a) Eduard's design sense.
(b) Eduard's intelligence and education.
(c) Eduard's flute playing abilities.
(d) Eduard's family tree.
13. How does Charlotte respond to Eduard's passion for Ottilie?
(a) Charlotte is delighted and begins to openly speak of her desire for the Captain.
(b) Charlotte does nothing because she is too shocked and saddened to act.
(c) Charlotte keeps Ottilie near her, watches her closely, and thinks Ottilie should be sent away.
(d) Charlotte begins to act nasty and aggressive toward Ottilie and humiliates her in front of company.
14. What does the female guest find disagreeable in Eduard?
(a) His lack of detail in the landscape planning.
(b) His treatment of Charlotte in front of guests.
(c) His apparent passion for Ottilie.
(d) His inability to carry on rational conversation.
15. What habit does Eduard change as a result of Ottilie's presence and influence?
(a) His recitation of the day's events.
(b) His attendance at church.
(c) His habit of pipe smoking.
(d) His way of reading.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes the focus of Eduard's efforts regarding the landscape improvements around the estate?
2. Whose idea is it to place the pavilion in its precise future spot?
3. How does Eduard plan to celebrate the finishing of the landscape improvements, as well as to show his affection for Ottilie?
4. What gift does Ottilie find from Eduard when she returns to her room after the celebration?
5. How does the narrator describe Charlotte when Eduard comes to make love to her?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)