|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person is to be another guest at the estate?
2. What does the male guest criticize about the estate?
(a) The boring, humdrum nature of the surrounding area.
(b) The general lack of aptitude of the servants.
(c) The master's indecent liberties taken with the serving-girls.
(d) The mistress's planning and layout of the improvements.
3. What is notable about the letters Eduard writes to Ottilie?
(a) Charlotte intercepts the letters and answers them in Ottilie's handwriting.
(b) The content of the letters is illegible, mad gibberish.
(c) The letters always come back in the post as "undeliverable."
(d) Eduard also writes responses and signs them with Ottilie's name.
4. What does Charlotte resolve to do when she is alone after the kiss with the Captain?
(a) Atone for her sins and die alone.
(b) Run away and marry the Captain.
(c) Strengthen her marriage with Eduard.
(d) Divorce Eduard and travel the continent.
5. What very capable person, who takes over the work of the landscape improvements, is the Captain very pleased with?
(a) The gardener.
(b) The parson.
(c) The beggar.
(d) The architect.
6. What does Eduard propose to sell to pay for the main project undertaken by the household?
(a) The main house itself.
(b) The southern portion of land.
(c) The chapel in the village.
(d) The farmstead in the woods.
7. What personal item does Eduard request Ottilie stop wearing?
(a) A handkerchief embroidered by Charlotte.
(b) A shawl knitted by her mother.
(c) A miniature portrait of her father.
(d) A pair of gloves in kid leather.
8. What idea of the male guest strikes Charlotte like a "thunderbolt?"
(a) The man feels Ottilie is dull company, and he advises Charlotte to turn her out of the house.
(b) The man would like to recommend the Captain to a position with a high powered friend.
(c) The man advises Charlotte to run away with the Captain since they are clearly in love.
(d) The man suggests that Charlotte and Eduard divorce so they may marry others.
9. What scientific subject becomes a main object of conversation between the hosts and their male guest?
(a) The evolution of plant and animal species.
(b) Astronomy and the movement of the solar system.
(c) Certain affinities between natural objects.
(d) Geology and its role in determining the location of mineral deposits.
10. What event does the captain suggest must be celebrated in a special manner?
(a) Eduard's homecoming.
(b) The Captain's wedding.
(c) Charlotte's birthday.
(d) Ottilie's debutante ball.
11. What do Eduard and Charlotte disagree strongly about in the wake of the frightening event during the festivities?
(a) Whom among the guests is worthy of being invited to dinner.
(b) Whether the fireworks show should go on as planned.
(c) How to tastefully disperse the guests who stay too late.
(d) When they should reschedule the entire event.
12. What nickname do both the master of the estate and his male guest share?
13. Whom does the master of the estate propose come to live with himself and his wife?
(a) The Count.
(b) The General.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The Baroness.
14. What about the contract Ottilie copied does Eduard find singular and astonishing?
(a) The entire document is completely illegible.
(b) The contract appears to be entirely in Charlotte's handwriting.
(c) The contract reads as a novel, rather than a legal document.
(d) The last portion of the contract seems to be copied in his own hand.
15. How did the master of the estate grow up?
(a) Spoiled; he got everything he wanted.
(b) Lonely; he made no friends.
(c) Impoverished; he lived on the streets.
(d) Ignored; he was the youngest of many siblings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eduard resolve to fulfill his growing need to be always around Ottilie?
2. After Charlotte confronts him, what does Eduard resolve to do?
3. What does the female guest find disagreeable in Eduard?
4. How do Eduard and Charlotte act in front of the others the morning after they sleep together?
5. During a stroll around his property with the captain and Charlotte, what activity does Eduard suddenly change his mind about engaging in, and why?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)