|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes the focus of Eduard's efforts regarding the landscape improvements around the estate?
(a) Obeying the Captain's directions regarding the precise placement of decorative elements.
(b) Conceding to the mason's professional opinion of the architecture.
(c) Privileging Ottilie's joy and comfort in the landscape.
(d) Accommodating Charlotte's desired shapes and tones in the gardening.
2. What does Eduard's note demand of Charlotte?
(a) That Charlotte keep Ottilie at the estate and not send her away.
(b) That Charlotte move away from the estate and live as a widow.
(c) That Charlotte treat Ottilie as an equal, not as a lesser relative.
(d) That Charlotte send Ottilie to live with her great aunt.
3. Whose idea is it to place the pavilion in its precise future spot?
(d) The Captain's.
4. What general plans do Eduard and the captain have for the estate?
(a) Tearing down the old stables and erect new ones.
(b) Cleaning up the grounds and house and prepare the estate for sale.
(c) Renovating the main house to accommodate Eduard's growing brood.
(d) Improving the landscaping on a large scale.
5. What is the second main project the male guest of the estate proposes to his hosts?
(a) To rebuild the ruined church in the village.
(b) To make a map of the entire estate.
(c) To set sail around the European continent.
(d) To make an inventory of the estate.
6. What very capable person, who takes over the work of the landscape improvements, is the Captain very pleased with?
(a) The gardener.
(b) The parson.
(c) The beggar.
(d) The architect.
7. What scientific subject becomes a main object of conversation between the hosts and their male guest?
(a) Astronomy and the movement of the solar system.
(b) The evolution of plant and animal species.
(c) Geology and its role in determining the location of mineral deposits.
(d) Certain affinities between natural objects.
8. Who does the mistress of the house think has a more-than-average interest in Ottilie?
(a) The schoolmaster.
(b) A common peasant.
(c) The male guest at the estate.
(d) The master of the estate.
9. What incident prompts the captain and Charlotte to kiss?
(a) Charlotte confesses her dark desires to the captain.
(b) The captain kisses Charlotte to thank her for securing him a job.
(c) The captain gets the boat stuck and carries Charlotte to safety.
(d) Eduard and the captain duel over Ottilie's affections.
10. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
(a) Charlotte falls from a cliff but is inexplicably uninjured.
(b) A crystal goblet disappears instead of shattering on the ground.
(c) A man has a heart attack but survives and dances a merry jig.
(d) The pitchers which were supposed to contain water contained wine.
11. What is one subject of the guests and hosts' conversation during the group's first dinner together?
(a) Eduard and Charlotte's early love at court.
(b) Ottilie's schooling and her future as a governess.
(c) The new taxation structure favored by the monarchy.
(d) The value of the farmstead and its surrounding fields.
12. What provokes Eduard to cry out that Ottilie loves him?
(a) Ottilie completes the inventory of the estate.
(b) Ottilie stands up to Charlotte's criticisms.
(c) Ottilie finishes copying a contract.
(d) Ottilie returns his letter with one of her own.
13. What activity are the married couple primarily engaged in at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Preparing for a year long tour of Europe.
(b) Improving the landscape of their estate.
(c) Deciding whether to enlarge the home itself.
(d) Considering applications for new household staff.
14. What idea of the male guest strikes Charlotte like a "thunderbolt?"
(a) The man would like to recommend the Captain to a position with a high powered friend.
(b) The man suggests that Charlotte and Eduard divorce so they may marry others.
(c) The man feels Ottilie is dull company, and he advises Charlotte to turn her out of the house.
(d) The man advises Charlotte to run away with the Captain since they are clearly in love.
15. What is the name of Charlotte's daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlotte resolve to do when she is alone after the kiss with the Captain?
2. What language are the household servants ignorant of?
3. During a stroll around his property with the captain and Charlotte, what activity does Eduard suddenly change his mind about engaging in, and why?
4. How does Ottilie respond to Charlotte's mention of the Captain potentially getting married?
5. What prevents Eduard from going through with his plan to keep Ottilie always near him?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)