|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Eduard send to speak with Ottilie in private?
(a) His valet.
(b) The architect.
(c) His confessor.
(d) The Captain.
2. What letter does the Captain keep secret from his friends?
(a) One from the mason to the architect concerning the fleecing of Eduard's estate.
(b) One from Ottilie to Eduard that is salacious in its content.
(c) One from the Count containing a most promising job offer.
(d) One from an officer which reactivates the Captain's military service.
3. What building do the companions find, with pleasure, that can easily hold all four of them?
(a) The main house.
(b) The chapel.
(c) The moss hut.
(d) The pavilion.
4. Where does Eduard live while away from his estate?
(a) In the newly constructed pavilion.
(b) In a farmstead house.
(c) In a room above the town inn.
(d) In a wing of the Count's mansion.
5. What activity are the married couple primarily engaged in at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Deciding whether to enlarge the home itself.
(b) Improving the landscape of their estate.
(c) Considering applications for new household staff.
(d) Preparing for a year long tour of Europe.
6. What building do the captain and Eduard decide to construct on the grounds of the estate?
(a) A chapel.
(b) A stable.
(c) A pavilion.
(d) A boathouse.
7. Which person is to be another guest at the estate?
8. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
(a) Charlotte falls from a cliff but is inexplicably uninjured.
(b) The pitchers which were supposed to contain water contained wine.
(c) A crystal goblet disappears instead of shattering on the ground.
(d) A man has a heart attack but survives and dances a merry jig.
9. How do Eduard and Charlotte act in front of the others the morning after they sleep together?
(a) As if nothing has passed between them the night before.
(b) As if they are suspicious of the thoughts of others.
(c) As if they are proud to have reaffirmed their love.
(d) As if they are ashamed and contrite of their actions.
10. What is the name of Charlotte's daughter?
11. What does the female guest find disagreeable in Eduard?
(a) His apparent passion for Ottilie.
(b) His treatment of Charlotte in front of guests.
(c) His lack of detail in the landscape planning.
(d) His inability to carry on rational conversation.
12. What is one notable pet peeve of the master of the estate?
(a) When others hum off-key when working.
(b) When others talk during meals.
(c) When others do not sing well enough to suit him.
(d) When others read over his shoulder.
13. What language are the household servants ignorant of?
14. What event leads Eduard to begin to be physically attracted to Ottilie?
(a) They take the wrong path and get lost while walking.
(b) They begin a secret correspondence in which they admit their desires.
(c) Eduard finds that she has written of him in her diary.
(d) Ottilie "accidentally" falls into Eduard's arms in the drawing room.
15. Who is married to the owner of the estate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Ottilie find from Eduard when she returns to her room after the celebration?
2. What does Ottilie see as her "everything?"
3. What very capable person, who takes over the work of the landscape improvements, is the Captain very pleased with?
4. What provokes Eduard to cry out that Ottilie loves him?
5. Who visits Charlotte and decides to take her news back to Eduard?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)