|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject do Eduard and his male guest discuss in the night?
(a) Their old amorous adventures at court.
(b) The questionable politics of the Captain.
(c) The fleeting constancy of their wives.
(d) Their history working for the provincial governor.
2. What is the name of the man who often visits the estate?
3. What is the general content of the postscript of the headmistress's letter to the mistress of the estate?
(a) Criticism of Ottilie.
(b) Praise for Maria.
(c) Praise for Charlotte.
(d) Criticism of Luciane.
4. How does Charlotte respond to Eduard's passion for Ottilie?
(a) Charlotte does nothing because she is too shocked and saddened to act.
(b) Charlotte is delighted and begins to openly speak of her desire for the Captain.
(c) Charlotte keeps Ottilie near her, watches her closely, and thinks Ottilie should be sent away.
(d) Charlotte begins to act nasty and aggressive toward Ottilie and humiliates her in front of company.
5. What frightening event mars the celebration Eduard had so carefully planned?
(a) A horse rears, throwing its rider, and striking a few people.
(b) A violent storm frightens the guests.
(c) A dam collapses and spills people into the water.
(d) A madman shoots a party guest and runs away
6. What activity are the married couple primarily engaged in at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Considering applications for new household staff.
(b) Preparing for a year long tour of Europe.
(c) Improving the landscape of their estate.
(d) Deciding whether to enlarge the home itself.
7. What incites Eduard to make a passionate visit to Charlotte?
(a) The realization that he is not yet a father.
(b) The drunken dare of Eduard's male guest.
(c) The idea that making love to Charlotte will cement his desire for her.
(d) The thought of Ottilie working on a project of Eduard's.
8. How does the narrator describe Charlotte when Eduard comes to make love to her?
(a) As a "virginal and innocent" girl.
(b) As a "hotly passionate" experienced woman.
(c) As a "secretly shy" young lover.
(d) As a "tempestuous and violent" harridan.
9. What is the second main project the male guest of the estate proposes to his hosts?
(a) To rebuild the ruined church in the village.
(b) To set sail around the European continent.
(c) To make a map of the entire estate.
(d) To make an inventory of the estate.
10. What is the name of the peasant girl who attaches herself to Ottilie?
11. What do the Captain and Charlotte resolve to do regarding the landscape improvements?
(a) Expand the project to use up their extra household funds.
(b) Place the entire endeavor on hold until winter is over.
(c) Hurry the work so that Eduard's energies will be more properly restrained.
(d) Use their new landscaping expertise to begin their own designing business.
12. What scientific subject becomes a main object of conversation between the hosts and their male guest?
(a) Certain affinities between natural objects.
(b) Geology and its role in determining the location of mineral deposits.
(c) Astronomy and the movement of the solar system.
(d) The evolution of plant and animal species.
13. Who does the mistress of the house think has a more-than-average interest in Ottilie?
(a) A common peasant.
(b) The male guest at the estate.
(c) The schoolmaster.
(d) The master of the estate.
14. What event does the captain suggest must be celebrated in a special manner?
(a) Ottilie's debutante ball.
(b) The Captain's wedding.
(c) Charlotte's birthday.
(d) Eduard's homecoming.
15. How does Eduard plan to celebrate the finishing of the landscape improvements, as well as to show his affection for Ottilie?
(a) By absconding with Ottilie.
(b) With a magnificent feast.
(c) By giving gifts to the guests.
(d) With a fireworks show.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit the estate after the foundation stone ceremony?
2. What letter does the Captain keep secret from his friends?
3. Who is married to the owner of the estate?
4. After hearing of Charlotte's physical condition, how does Eduard feel?
5. What nickname do both the master of the estate and his male guest share?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)