|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man who often visits the estate?
2. What event does the captain suggest must be celebrated in a special manner?
(a) Ottilie's debutante ball.
(b) Eduard's homecoming.
(c) The Captain's wedding.
(d) Charlotte's birthday.
3. What is one notable pet peeve of the master of the estate?
(a) When others do not sing well enough to suit him.
(b) When others talk during meals.
(c) When others hum off-key when working.
(d) When others read over his shoulder.
4. What trait is the man who often visits the estate known for?
(a) For settling all manner of disputes.
(b) For bragging about his wealth.
(c) For his many extra-marital affairs.
(d) For high-class begging.
5. What is notable about the letters Eduard writes to Ottilie?
(a) The letters always come back in the post as "undeliverable."
(b) Charlotte intercepts the letters and answers them in Ottilie's handwriting.
(c) Eduard also writes responses and signs them with Ottilie's name.
(d) The content of the letters is illegible, mad gibberish.
6. Whom does the master of the estate propose come to live with himself and his wife?
(a) The Count.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The Baroness.
(d) The General.
7. Once the Captain leaves, what does Charlotte suggest to Eduard regarding Ottilie?
(a) That Charlotte and Ottilie embark on a trip to Italy to view famous sculptures.
(b) That Eduard and Ottilie leave together to indulge their mutual passion.
(c) That Ottilie return to the boarding school or to her great-aunt's home.
(d) That Ottilie become the governess to a wealthy family.
8. Where does Eduard live while away from his estate?
(a) In a room above the town inn.
(b) In a farmstead house.
(c) In the newly constructed pavilion.
(d) In a wing of the Count's mansion.
9. What does Charlotte resolve to do when she is alone after the kiss with the Captain?
(a) Strengthen her marriage with Eduard.
(b) Run away and marry the Captain.
(c) Atone for her sins and die alone.
(d) Divorce Eduard and travel the continent.
10. Whom does Eduard send to speak with Ottilie in private?
(a) His confessor.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The architect.
(d) His valet.
11. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
(a) Charlotte falls from a cliff but is inexplicably uninjured.
(b) A crystal goblet disappears instead of shattering on the ground.
(c) A man has a heart attack but survives and dances a merry jig.
(d) The pitchers which were supposed to contain water contained wine.
12. What provokes Eduard to cry out that Ottilie loves him?
(a) Ottilie stands up to Charlotte's criticisms.
(b) Ottilie finishes copying a contract.
(c) Ottilie completes the inventory of the estate.
(d) Ottilie returns his letter with one of her own.
13. How do Eduard and Charlotte act in front of the others the morning after they sleep together?
(a) As if nothing has passed between them the night before.
(b) As if they are proud to have reaffirmed their love.
(c) As if they are ashamed and contrite of their actions.
(d) As if they are suspicious of the thoughts of others.
14. What is the general content of the postscript of the headmistress's letter to the mistress of the estate?
(a) Praise for Charlotte.
(b) Criticism of Luciane.
(c) Criticism of Ottilie.
(d) Praise for Maria.
15. What does Ottilie see as her "everything?"
(a) Her love for Eduard.
(b) Her passion for gardening.
(c) Her attention to her reading.
(d) Her friendship with Charlotte.
Short Answer Questions
1. What very capable person, who takes over the work of the landscape improvements, is the Captain very pleased with?
2. What significant physical condition is revealed about Charlotte in Part I, Chapter 18?
3. Where have the two young women mentioned in Part I, Chapter 1, been living for some years?
4. Who broaches the subject to Eduard of reconciling with Charlotte?
5. What nickname do both the master of the estate and his male guest share?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)