|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity are the married couple primarily engaged in at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Deciding whether to enlarge the home itself.
(b) Improving the landscape of their estate.
(c) Preparing for a year long tour of Europe.
(d) Considering applications for new household staff.
2. What do the main characters decide to do with the three lakes on Eduard's estate?
(a) Bring down the dams to make one large lake.
(b) Reinforce all three dams to prevent flooding.
(c) Sell the land rights around the largest lake.
(d) Drain one of the lakes to irrigate the fields.
3. What is notable about the letters Eduard writes to Ottilie?
(a) Eduard also writes responses and signs them with Ottilie's name.
(b) The content of the letters is illegible, mad gibberish.
(c) Charlotte intercepts the letters and answers them in Ottilie's handwriting.
(d) The letters always come back in the post as "undeliverable."
4. Who visits Charlotte and decides to take her news back to Eduard?
(a) The architect.
(b) Herr Mittler.
(c) The Count.
(d) The Captain.
5. Whom does Eduard send to speak with Ottilie in private?
(a) His valet.
(b) His confessor.
(c) The architect.
(d) The Captain.
6. What is the object of the insult Eduard receives indirectly from the Captain?
(a) Eduard's intelligence and education.
(b) Eduard's design sense.
(c) Eduard's flute playing abilities.
(d) Eduard's family tree.
7. What does Eduard focus on in his solitude?
(a) His passion for Ottilie.
(b) His desire for death.
(c) His business prospects.
(d) His quarrels with Mittler.
8. What idea of the male guest strikes Charlotte like a "thunderbolt?"
(a) The man advises Charlotte to run away with the Captain since they are clearly in love.
(b) The man feels Ottilie is dull company, and he advises Charlotte to turn her out of the house.
(c) The man suggests that Charlotte and Eduard divorce so they may marry others.
(d) The man would like to recommend the Captain to a position with a high powered friend.
9. What nickname do both the master of the estate and his male guest share?
10. What letter does the Captain keep secret from his friends?
(a) One from the Count containing a most promising job offer.
(b) One from Ottilie to Eduard that is salacious in its content.
(c) One from the mason to the architect concerning the fleecing of Eduard's estate.
(d) One from an officer which reactivates the Captain's military service.
11. What does Ottilie set in the foundation stone with the other peoples' offerings?
(a) A ring her mother gave her.
(b) A letter from the schoolmaster.
(c) A lock of her own hair.
(d) A miniature portrait of her father.
12. What event do the men resolve should mark the celebratory finishing date of their various improvements to the landscape of the estate?
(a) The death of Herr Mittler.
(b) Charlotte and Eduard's anniversary.
(c) Ottilie's birthday.
(d) The anniversary of the Captain's arrival at the estate.
13. How does Charlotte respond to Eduard's passion for Ottilie?
(a) Charlotte is delighted and begins to openly speak of her desire for the Captain.
(b) Charlotte keeps Ottilie near her, watches her closely, and thinks Ottilie should be sent away.
(c) Charlotte does nothing because she is too shocked and saddened to act.
(d) Charlotte begins to act nasty and aggressive toward Ottilie and humiliates her in front of company.
14. What act of submissiveness does Charlotte warn Ottilie against?
(a) Stooping to pick up something dropped by a man.
(b) Walking slowly to accommodate the pace of the elderly.
(c) Lowering one's eyes before royalty.
(d) Deferring to one's host in conversation.
15. What request does Eduard make of the person who visits him in his solitude?
(a) For a loan so he may buy a new house.
(b) That this person take a letter to Ottilie.
(c) This person's help in obtaining a divorce.
(d) For the person's forgiveness and blessing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incites Eduard to make a passionate visit to Charlotte?
2. What prevents Eduard from going through with his plan to keep Ottilie always near him?
3. What is one notable pet peeve of the master of the estate?
4. What general plans do Eduard and the captain have for the estate?
5. Who is married to the owner of the estate?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)