|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Charlotte and decides to take her news back to Eduard?
(a) The architect.
(b) Herr Mittler.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The Count.
2. What is the name of Charlotte's daughter?
3. Once the Captain leaves, what does Charlotte suggest to Eduard regarding Ottilie?
(a) That Charlotte and Ottilie embark on a trip to Italy to view famous sculptures.
(b) That Ottilie return to the boarding school or to her great-aunt's home.
(c) That Eduard and Ottilie leave together to indulge their mutual passion.
(d) That Ottilie become the governess to a wealthy family.
4. What does the male guest criticize about the estate?
(a) The boring, humdrum nature of the surrounding area.
(b) The master's indecent liberties taken with the serving-girls.
(c) The general lack of aptitude of the servants.
(d) The mistress's planning and layout of the improvements.
5. What incident prompts the captain and Charlotte to kiss?
(a) The captain kisses Charlotte to thank her for securing him a job.
(b) Eduard and the captain duel over Ottilie's affections.
(c) Charlotte confesses her dark desires to the captain.
(d) The captain gets the boat stuck and carries Charlotte to safety.
6. Whose idea is it to place the pavilion in its precise future spot?
(a) The Captain's.
7. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and the captain speak of the concept of elective affinities?
(a) In terms of A, B, C, and D.
(b) In terms of 1, 2, 3, and 4.
(c) In terms of men, women, children, and animals.
(d) In terms of apples, oranges, bananas, and pears.
8. What building has been completed for the celebration planned by Eduard and the Captain?
(a) The moss hut.
(b) The pavilion.
(c) The chapel.
(d) The stables.
9. What building do the companions find, with pleasure, that can easily hold all four of them?
(a) The pavilion.
(b) The main house.
(c) The moss hut.
(d) The chapel.
10. What very capable person, who takes over the work of the landscape improvements, is the Captain very pleased with?
(a) The gardener.
(b) The parson.
(c) The beggar.
(d) The architect.
11. What building do the captain and Eduard decide to construct on the grounds of the estate?
(a) A chapel.
(b) A pavilion.
(c) A stable.
(d) A boathouse.
12. In what activities do Charlotte and Ottilie engage the village girls?
(a) In rebuilding the poorhouse for the town's beggars.
(b) In sewing, knitting, and beautifying the village.
(c) In organizing political protests of their own working conditions.
(d) In learning to read, write, and do basic mathematics.
13. How does Eduard plan to celebrate the finishing of the landscape improvements, as well as to show his affection for Ottilie?
(a) By giving gifts to the guests.
(b) With a fireworks show.
(c) By absconding with Ottilie.
(d) With a magnificent feast.
14. What does Ottilie see as her "everything?"
(a) Her love for Eduard.
(b) Her passion for gardening.
(c) Her attention to her reading.
(d) Her friendship with Charlotte.
15. Who is married to the owner of the estate?
Short Answer Questions
1. During a stroll around his property with the captain and Charlotte, what activity does Eduard suddenly change his mind about engaging in, and why?
2. What frightening event mars the celebration Eduard had so carefully planned?
3. How does Eduard resolve to fulfill his growing need to be always around Ottilie?
4. How did the master of the estate grow up?
5. Who broaches the subject to Eduard of reconciling with Charlotte?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)