|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and the captain speak of the concept of elective affinities?
(a) In terms of apples, oranges, bananas, and pears.
(b) In terms of A, B, C, and D.
(c) In terms of men, women, children, and animals.
(d) In terms of 1, 2, 3, and 4.
2. What building has been completed for the celebration planned by Eduard and the Captain?
(a) The chapel.
(b) The stables.
(c) The moss hut.
(d) The pavilion.
3. What act of submissiveness does Charlotte warn Ottilie against?
(a) Deferring to one's host in conversation.
(b) Lowering one's eyes before royalty.
(c) Stooping to pick up something dropped by a man.
(d) Walking slowly to accommodate the pace of the elderly.
4. What request does Eduard make of the person who visits him in his solitude?
(a) For a loan so he may buy a new house.
(b) For the person's forgiveness and blessing.
(c) That this person take a letter to Ottilie.
(d) This person's help in obtaining a divorce.
5. Who comes to visit the estate after the foundation stone ceremony?
(a) The mayor and the governor.
(b) The major and the general.
(c) The prince and the princess.
(d) The count and the baroness.
6. Where have the two young women mentioned in Part I, Chapter 1, been living for some years?
(a) At the home of a distant relative.
(b) At a boarding school.
(c) At the estate.
(d) At the royal court.
7. What provokes Eduard to cry out that Ottilie loves him?
(a) Ottilie stands up to Charlotte's criticisms.
(b) Ottilie finishes copying a contract.
(c) Ottilie returns his letter with one of her own.
(d) Ottilie completes the inventory of the estate.
8. What event do the men resolve should mark the celebratory finishing date of their various improvements to the landscape of the estate?
(a) Charlotte and Eduard's anniversary.
(b) The anniversary of the Captain's arrival at the estate.
(c) The death of Herr Mittler.
(d) Ottilie's birthday.
9. What is the name of Charlotte's daughter?
10. What significant physical condition is revealed about Charlotte in Part I, Chapter 18?
(a) She experiences mysterious left-side headaches.
(b) She can no longer speak.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She has consumption.
11. What gift does Ottilie find from Eduard when she returns to her room after the celebration?
(a) A coach ticket for Italy and a traveling cloak.
(b) A set of rare books by her favorite author.
(c) A new mare, already trained for gentle riding.
(d) A chest filled with fine fabrics and jewelery.
12. After Charlotte confronts him, what does Eduard resolve to do?
(a) To obtain a divorce.
(b) To seduce Ottilie.
(c) To leave home.
(d) To kill himself.
13. What does Eduard convince Ottilie of regarding Charlotte and/or the Captain?
(a) The Captain is preparing to duel with Eduard.
(b) Charlotte loves the Captain and wants a divorce from Eduard.
(c) Charlotte has secretly planned for Ottilie to marry the schoolmaster.
(d) Ottilie will never be loved by anyone because she is ugly.
14. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
(a) A man has a heart attack but survives and dances a merry jig.
(b) Charlotte falls from a cliff but is inexplicably uninjured.
(c) A crystal goblet disappears instead of shattering on the ground.
(d) The pitchers which were supposed to contain water contained wine.
15. What personal item does Eduard request Ottilie stop wearing?
(a) A miniature portrait of her father.
(b) A shawl knitted by her mother.
(c) A pair of gloves in kid leather.
(d) A handkerchief embroidered by Charlotte.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eduard propose to sell to pay for the main project undertaken by the household?
2. What activity are the married couple primarily engaged in at the beginning of the novel?
3. Where does Eduard live while away from his estate?
4. What do the main characters decide to do with the three lakes on Eduard's estate?
5. What idea of the male guest strikes Charlotte like a "thunderbolt?"
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)