|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person is to be another guest at the estate?
2. What do the main characters decide to do with the three lakes on Eduard's estate?
(a) Sell the land rights around the largest lake.
(b) Drain one of the lakes to irrigate the fields.
(c) Reinforce all three dams to prevent flooding.
(d) Bring down the dams to make one large lake.
3. Whom does the master of the estate propose come to live with himself and his wife?
(a) The Baroness.
(b) The General.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The Count.
4. What language do Charlotte and Ottilie speak when they are alone?
5. At whom does Eduard lose his temper while making the new plans for the estate?
(a) A village girl.
(b) A captain.
(c) A beggar.
(d) A parson.
6. What is the object of the insult Eduard receives indirectly from the Captain?
(a) Eduard's flute playing abilities.
(b) Eduard's family tree.
(c) Eduard's design sense.
(d) Eduard's intelligence and education.
7. What significant physical condition is revealed about Charlotte in Part I, Chapter 18?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She has consumption.
(c) She experiences mysterious left-side headaches.
(d) She can no longer speak.
8. What personal item does Eduard request Ottilie stop wearing?
(a) A shawl knitted by her mother.
(b) A miniature portrait of her father.
(c) A pair of gloves in kid leather.
(d) A handkerchief embroidered by Charlotte.
9. How does Eduard resolve to fulfill his growing need to be always around Ottilie?
(a) By building a secret love nest out of the moss hut.
(b) He decides they must run away together.
(c) By conducting a secret correspondence with her.
(d) He asks Ottilie to try to distract Charlotte.
10. Who comes to visit the estate after the foundation stone ceremony?
(a) The major and the general.
(b) The count and the baroness.
(c) The mayor and the governor.
(d) The prince and the princess.
11. What is notable about the letters Eduard writes to Ottilie?
(a) The content of the letters is illegible, mad gibberish.
(b) Eduard also writes responses and signs them with Ottilie's name.
(c) The letters always come back in the post as "undeliverable."
(d) Charlotte intercepts the letters and answers them in Ottilie's handwriting.
12. What is the name of the peasant girl who attaches herself to Ottilie?
13. How does Eduard plan to celebrate the finishing of the landscape improvements, as well as to show his affection for Ottilie?
(a) With a fireworks show.
(b) By absconding with Ottilie.
(c) By giving gifts to the guests.
(d) With a magnificent feast.
14. What act of submissiveness does Charlotte warn Ottilie against?
(a) Stooping to pick up something dropped by a man.
(b) Lowering one's eyes before royalty.
(c) Deferring to one's host in conversation.
(d) Walking slowly to accommodate the pace of the elderly.
15. In what activities do Charlotte and Ottilie engage the village girls?
(a) In organizing political protests of their own working conditions.
(b) In sewing, knitting, and beautifying the village.
(c) In rebuilding the poorhouse for the town's beggars.
(d) In learning to read, write, and do basic mathematics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a stroll around his property with the captain and Charlotte, what activity does Eduard suddenly change his mind about engaging in, and why?
2. What is one notable pet peeve of the master of the estate?
3. Who addresses the crowd at the foundation stone ceremony?
4. What does the male guest criticize about the estate?
5. What does Eduard propose to sell to pay for the main project undertaken by the household?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)