|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Freedman say the trip to see troops affected Eleanor Roosevelt?
2. How did Franklin Roosevelt come to national prominence after 1929?
3. How does Freedman say Eleanor tried to convey her observations to her husband?
4. What responsibility did Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt say the government bore?
5. Who was Molly Dewson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's death.
2. Where does Freedman say Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt differed politically?
3. Describe Eleanor's relationship with the black community.
4. Why did Franklin Roosevelt end up taking a third term as President?
5. Describe the crisis surrounding Lucy Mercer.
6. In what way did Franklin's polio contribute to Eleanor's political activism?
7. How did Eleanor Roosevelt's role change in Franklin's second term as President?
8. How does Freedman describe the role Eleanor stepped into in the family after her husband was paralyzed?
9. What policies did Eleanor advocate in the Democratic Party?
10. What was the debate over the League of Nations in 1920, and how did it affect Franklin Roosevelt's election prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
How did Eleanor Roosevelt's sense of inferiority change over time? Did she learn to compensate for it, or did she turn it into a strength?
Essay Topic 3
It comes out late in the biography that Franklin had seen Lucy Mercer (Lucy Mercer Rutherford) a number of times after Eleanor Roosevelt thought their affair was over. How did Eleanor Roosevelt live without intimacy of her own? Was politics enough for her? What did she do with her desire for personal love?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)