|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eleanor Roosevelt was criticized for advocating what political stance?
2. How does Freedman say the marriage between Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt changed after the Lucy Mercer affair?
3. How does Freedman characterize conversations at the White House?
4. What did Eleanor Roosevelt urge women to do in 'It's Up to the Women'?
5. What did Eleanor Roosevelt dislike about the prospect of moving to Washington D.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What policies did Eleanor advocate in the Democratic Party?
2. Describe Eleanor's relationship with the black community.
3. How would Eleanor go about trying to influence the President on issues she had feelings about?
4. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's illness and paralysis.
5. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's death.
6. What does the term 'liberal' mean when applied to Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?
7. How does Freedman describe the role Eleanor stepped into in the family after her husband was paralyzed?
8. Describe the Roosevelts' experience in Europe after the Great War.
9. How did Eleanor Roosevelt's role change in Franklin's second term as President?
10. What was the outcome of the affair with Lucy Mercer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent was Eleanor Roosevelt a product of her times? How did the Great War, Prohibition, the Depression and the build-up toward war in Europe in the 1930s shape her personality? How did her personality pres back against the pressure of the times?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
What did Eleanor Roosevelt learn from her work in charities and political organizations? What effect did she have on the organizations she was part of?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)