|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Franklin Roosevelt do after losing the 1920 election?
2. Why did Eleanor Roosevelt resign from the Daughters of the American Revolution?
3. What did Eleanor Roosevelt work with a private coach to improve?
4. What did Eleanor Roosevelt urge women to do in 'It's Up to the Women'?
5. How did Eleanor Roosevelt describe her political position?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Franklin's polio contribute to Eleanor's political activism?
2. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's death.
3. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's illness and paralysis.
4. How did Eleanor develop as a public speaker?
5. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's trip to Europe to visit the troops?
6. How does Freedman describe the White House as it was occupied by Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?
7. Describe the crisis surrounding Lucy Mercer.
8. In what way was Eleanor Roosevelt unlike previous First Ladies?
9. Describe Eleanor's experience teaching at the Todhunter school.
10. What does the term 'liberal' mean when applied to Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what role was Eleanor Roosevelt most comfortable and successful--Wife, partner, political speaker, charity worker, editor, mother, grandmother, etc? In what role was she least successful and happy?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent was Eleanor Roosevelt a product of her times? How did the Great War, Prohibition, the Depression and the build-up toward war in Europe in the 1930s shape her personality? How did her personality pres back against the pressure of the times?
Essay Topic 3
It comes out late in the biography that Franklin had seen Lucy Mercer (Lucy Mercer Rutherford) a number of times after Eleanor Roosevelt thought their affair was over. How did Eleanor Roosevelt live without intimacy of her own? Was politics enough for her? What did she do with her desire for personal love?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)