|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eleanor refuse to give up when Franklin Roosevelt was elected Governor of New York?
2. Who beat Franklin Roosevelt in 1920?
3. What does Freedman say Franklin Roosevelt did in the wake of his affair?
4. Why was Franklin Roosevelt encouraged to run for a third term?
5. How does Freedman characterize conversations at the White House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What policies did Eleanor advocate in the Democratic Party?
2. How did Eleanor Roosevelt's role change in Franklin's second term as President?
3. In what way did Franklin's polio contribute to Eleanor's political activism?
4. Why did Franklin Roosevelt end up taking a third term as President?
5. What does the term 'liberal' mean when applied to Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?
6. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's illness and paralysis.
7. In what way was Eleanor Roosevelt unlike previous First Ladies?
8. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's career through Franklin's first term as President?
9. Describe the Roosevelts' experience in Europe after the Great War.
10. Describe Eleanor's experience teaching at the Todhunter school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent was Eleanor Roosevelt a product of her times? How did the Great War, Prohibition, the Depression and the build-up toward war in Europe in the 1930s shape her personality? How did her personality pres back against the pressure of the times?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)