|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Freedman characterize the bond between Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?
2. What did Eleanor do after Franklin Roosevelt lost the 1920 election?
3. How did Eleanor Roosevelt describe her political position?
4. Who beat Franklin Roosevelt in 1920?
5. What effect did her husband's paralysis have on Eleanor's feelings for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Roosevelts' experience in Europe after the Great War.
2. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's career through Franklin's first term as President?
3. How did Eleanor develop as a public speaker?
4. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's illness and paralysis.
5. In what way did Franklin's polio contribute to Eleanor's political activism?
6. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor Roosevelt's response to European hostilities?
7. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's death.
8. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's trip to Europe to visit the troops?
9. Why did Franklin Roosevelt end up taking a third term as President?
10. What policies did Eleanor advocate in the Democratic Party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's marriage the ideal marriage for the number of obligations they had, as President and First Lady? Did it help that they weren't passionate or intimate with each other? Did Lucy Mercer do Eleanor Roosevelt a favor, or did she ruin her life?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the health of the liberal legacy Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt left us. How have the ideas they instituted in government fared? Are their ideals dead or alive today?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)