|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freedman say Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt would do separately in their personal suites?
2. What did Eleanor Roosevelt NOT start to get invitations for after she joined the Women's Democratic News?
3. With whom did Eleanor Roosevelt fly from Baltimore to Washington D.C.?
4. What was Roosevelt and the Democrats' position on the League of Nations?
5. What was Franklin Roosevelt in charge of in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Eleanor Roosevelt do to help women, as First Lady?
2. How did Eleanor develop as a public speaker?
3. In what way did Franklin's polio contribute to Eleanor's political activism?
4. Describe Eleanor's relationship with the black community.
5. What was Eleanor Roosevelt's part in the National Youth Administration?
6. Describe the crisis surrounding Lucy Mercer.
7. How did her husband's loss in 1920 affect Eleanor Roosevelt's political activities?
8. How did Eleanor Roosevelt's role change in Franklin's second term as President?
9. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's career through Franklin's first term as President?
10. What policies did Eleanor advocate in the Democratic Party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's marriage the ideal marriage for the number of obligations they had, as President and First Lady? Did it help that they weren't passionate or intimate with each other? Did Lucy Mercer do Eleanor Roosevelt a favor, or did she ruin her life?
Essay Topic 2
How has Eleanor Roosevelt changed what it means to be First Lady? How have First Ladies since Eleanor Roosevelt built upon her legacy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the health of the liberal legacy Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt left us. How have the ideas they instituted in government fared? Are their ideals dead or alive today?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)