|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title was Eleanor Roosevelt unofficially given, according to Freedman?
2. What does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt was uncomfortable about in the townhouse where she lived with her husband and children?
3. What did Eleanor think about Franklin?
4. Where did Franklin Roosevelt work after he returned from his honeymoon?
5. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt's relationship with her mother-in-law affected her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Allenswood like?
2. How does Freedman describe the White House as it was occupied by Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?
3. Why wasn't Eleanor Roosevelt looking forward to her coming out?
4. What was the Secret Service's problem with Eleanor Roosevelt?
5. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor Roosevelt's response to European hostilities?
6. How did her husband's loss in 1920 affect Eleanor Roosevelt's political activities?
7. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's trip to Europe to visit the troops?
8. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt asserted her independence as First Lady?
9. Describe the Roosevelts' experience in Europe after the Great War.
10. Describe the crisis surrounding Lucy Mercer.
Essay Topic 1
Was Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's marriage the ideal marriage for the number of obligations they had, as President and First Lady? Did it help that they weren't passionate or intimate with each other? Did Lucy Mercer do Eleanor Roosevelt a favor, or did she ruin her life?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)