|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Eleanor Roosevelt's uncle dangerous?
2. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's treatment at Allenswood?
3. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt used the thing the Secret Service gave her?
4. What does Freedman say were Eleanor Roosevelt's feelings about her father?
5. What misfortune struck Eleanor Roosevelt at age ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt reacted to her father's death?
2. How did the role of First Lady change Eleanor Roosevelt?
3. What does Freedman tell us, in the opening chapter, about Eleanor Roosevelt's childhood?
4. What was the effect of Eleanor Roosevelt's mother's beauty?
5. What does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt felt when her husband was running for President?
6. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's first experience in politics.
7. What was the Secret Service's problem with Eleanor Roosevelt?
8. How did Eleanor Roosevelt meet and begin to spend time with Franklin Roosevelt?
9. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt asserted her independence as First Lady?
10. Describe the scene when Franklin Roosevelt proposed to Eleanor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What can Eleanor Roosevelt's life teach us, about how to live? What moral does Freedman extract from her life, and what other morals might it teach?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent was Eleanor Roosevelt a product of her times? How did the Great War, Prohibition, the Depression and the build-up toward war in Europe in the 1930s shape her personality? How did her personality pres back against the pressure of the times?
Essay Topic 3
In what role was Eleanor Roosevelt most comfortable and successful--Wife, partner, political speaker, charity worker, editor, mother, grandmother, etc? In what role was she least successful and happy?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)