|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were Eleanor Roosevelt's parents' married?
2. What does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt did to the position of First Lady?
3. Where was Allenswood?
4. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's looks as a young girl?
5. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor Roosevelt's social demeanor at age 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Franklin Roosevelt see in Eleanor--what did he tell her when his proposal surprised her?
2. How did the role of First Lady change Eleanor Roosevelt?
3. What was the effect of Eleanor Roosevelt's mother's beauty?
4. Describe the difficulties Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt had scheduling a wedding.
5. What was Franklin Roosevelt's next step in politics?
6. Why wasn't Eleanor Roosevelt looking forward to her coming out?
7. Describe the rules that applied to Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's courtship.
8. Describe Eleanor Roosevelt's entrance into charity work.
9. What does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt felt when her husband was running for President?
10. Describe Eleanor Roosevelt's family background.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the health of the liberal legacy Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt left us. How have the ideas they instituted in government fared? Are their ideals dead or alive today?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Was Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's marriage the ideal marriage for the number of obligations they had, as President and First Lady? Did it help that they weren't passionate or intimate with each other? Did Lucy Mercer do Eleanor Roosevelt a favor, or did she ruin her life?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)