|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elliot Roosevelt's drinking lead to, according to Freedman?
2. What was the Junior League's purpose?
3. What does Freedman say was Eleanor Roosevelt's childhood nickname?
4. Where does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt enjoyed happy times?
5. Which child of Eleanor Roosevelt's died in infancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Eleanor Roosevelt change the position of First Lady?
2. What were the problems in the Roosevelt household?
3. Describe the scene when Franklin Roosevelt proposed to Eleanor.
4. How did Eleanor Roosevelt meet and begin to spend time with Franklin Roosevelt?
5. Describe the rules that applied to Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's courtship.
6. How did Franklin Roosevelt's mother react to news of the engagement?
7. Describe Eleanor's relationship with Sarah Roosevelt.
8. How does Freedman characterize the difference between Eleanor and Franklin's personalities?
9. What was Eleanor Roosevelt's childhood nickname?
10. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's first experience in politics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has feminism changed since Eleanor Roosevelt? How does modern feminism bear the imprint of Eleanor Roosevelt's work in the 1920s and 1930s?
Essay Topic 2
It comes out late in the biography that Franklin had seen Lucy Mercer (Lucy Mercer Rutherford) a number of times after Eleanor Roosevelt thought their affair was over. How did Eleanor Roosevelt live without intimacy of her own? Was politics enough for her? What did she do with her desire for personal love?
Essay Topic 3
Was Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's marriage the ideal marriage for the number of obligations they had, as President and First Lady? Did it help that they weren't passionate or intimate with each other? Did Lucy Mercer do Eleanor Roosevelt a favor, or did she ruin her life?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)