|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eleanor give up at Sara's insistence?
2. How did Franklin Roosevelt describe Eleanor Roosevelt's eyes when they met?
3. Where did Franklin Roosevelt work after he returned from his honeymoon?
4. What does Freedman say were Eleanor Roosevelt's feelings about her father?
5. How does Freedman characterize the relationship between Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt asserted her independence as First Lady?
2. Describe Eleanor Roosevelt's first engagement.
3. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt reacted to her father's death?
4. What was Mlle. Souvestre's role in Eleanor Roosevelt's life?
5. What was Allenswood like?
6. What was the Secret Service's problem with Eleanor Roosevelt?
7. Describe Eleanor's relationship with Sarah Roosevelt.
8. Describe the rules that applied to Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's courtship.
9. What was the effect of Eleanor Roosevelt's mother's beauty?
10. Describe the difficulties Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt had scheduling a wedding.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
How did Eleanor Roosevelt develop as a public speaker, and how did her personality change as she became more comfortable in front of crowds?
Essay Topic 3
Was Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's marriage the ideal marriage for the number of obligations they had, as President and First Lady? Did it help that they weren't passionate or intimate with each other? Did Lucy Mercer do Eleanor Roosevelt a favor, or did she ruin her life?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)