|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Freedman say Franklin Roosevelt shocked his wife?
2. How does Freedman characterize the difference between Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's personalities?
3. Where did Franklin Roosevelt work after he returned from his honeymoon?
4. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt's relationship with her mother-in-law affected her?
5. What incident does Freedman say escalated Elliot Roosevelt's alcoholism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freedman tell us, in the opening chapter, about Eleanor Roosevelt's childhood?
2. What was Franklin Roosevelt's next step in politics?
3. Describe the early years of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's marriage.
4. How did the role of First Lady change Eleanor Roosevelt?
5. Why wasn't Eleanor Roosevelt looking forward to her coming out?
6. How did Eleanor like being a Senator's wife?
7. Describe Eleanor Roosevelt's first engagement.
8. What was Mlle. Souvestre's role in Eleanor Roosevelt's life?
9. How did Eleanor Roosevelt meet and begin to spend time with Franklin Roosevelt?
10. What were the problems in the Roosevelt household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what role was Eleanor Roosevelt most comfortable and successful--Wife, partner, political speaker, charity worker, editor, mother, grandmother, etc? In what role was she least successful and happy?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
How did Eleanor Roosevelt develop as a public speaker, and how did her personality change as she became more comfortable in front of crowds?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)