|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Eleanor Roosevelt born?
2. In what way does Freedman say Franklin Roosevelt shocked his wife?
3. What was a sign of being a 'fast woman'?
4. What did Anna Roosevelt die of?
5. What holiday did Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt marry on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt felt when her husband was running for President?
2. Describe Eleanor Roosevelt's family background.
3. How did Franklin Roosevelt's mother react to news of the engagement?
4. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt asserted her independence as First Lady?
5. How did Eleanor Roosevelt change the position of First Lady?
6. Describe the scene when Franklin Roosevelt proposed to Eleanor.
7. Why wasn't Eleanor Roosevelt looking forward to her coming out?
8. How did Eleanor like being a Senator's wife?
9. What was Mlle. Souvestre's role in Eleanor Roosevelt's life?
10. What deaths did Eleanor Roosevelt encounter as a childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what role was Eleanor Roosevelt most comfortable and successful--Wife, partner, political speaker, charity worker, editor, mother, grandmother, etc? In what role was she least successful and happy?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Was Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's marriage the ideal marriage for the number of obligations they had, as President and First Lady? Did it help that they weren't passionate or intimate with each other? Did Lucy Mercer do Eleanor Roosevelt a favor, or did she ruin her life?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)