|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident does Freedman say escalated Elliot Roosevelt's alcoholism?
2. What was a sign of being a 'fast woman'?
3. What did Elliot Roosevelt's drinking lead to, according to Freedman?
4. When was Eleanor Roosevelt's first child born?
5. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt's voice changed during her tenure as First Lady?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Franklin Roosevelt see in Eleanor--what did he tell her when his proposal surprised her?
2. Describe the difficulties Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt had scheduling a wedding.
3. How did Eleanor Roosevelt meet and begin to spend time with Franklin Roosevelt?
4. What was the effect of Eleanor Roosevelt's mother's beauty?
5. What was Mlle. Souvestre's role in Eleanor Roosevelt's life?
6. How does Freedman characterize the difference between Eleanor and Franklin's personalities?
7. How did the role of First Lady change Eleanor Roosevelt?
8. What was Allenswood like?
9. What was the Secret Service's problem with Eleanor Roosevelt?
10. How did Eleanor like being a Senator's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It comes out late in the biography that Franklin had seen Lucy Mercer (Lucy Mercer Rutherford) a number of times after Eleanor Roosevelt thought their affair was over. How did Eleanor Roosevelt live without intimacy of her own? Was politics enough for her? What did she do with her desire for personal love?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the health of the liberal legacy Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt left us. How have the ideas they instituted in government fared? Are their ideals dead or alive today?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)