|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What modest claim does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt made about her work as First Lady?
2. Where was Allenswood?
3. Which child of Eleanor Roosevelt's died in infancy?
4. How did Eleanor Roosevelt react to her father's death, in Freedman's account?
5. What was Eleanor Roosevelt's relationship with Susie Parish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eleanor Roosevelt's first engagement.
2. How did the role of First Lady change Eleanor Roosevelt?
3. Describe the rules that applied to Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's courtship.
4. What was Eleanor Roosevelt's childhood nickname?
5. Why wasn't Eleanor Roosevelt looking forward to her coming out?
6. Describe Eleanor's relationship with Sarah Roosevelt.
7. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt reacted to her father's death?
8. What deaths did Eleanor Roosevelt encounter as a childhood?
9. What was Franklin Roosevelt's next step in politics?
10. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt asserted her independence as First Lady?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the most important influences on Eleanor Roosevelt's life and development, and how did people or events shape her? How did she exert influences on other people in turn?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the health of the liberal legacy Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt left us. How have the ideas they instituted in government fared? Are their ideals dead or alive today?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent was Eleanor Roosevelt a product of her times? How did the Great War, Prohibition, the Depression and the build-up toward war in Europe in the 1930s shape her personality? How did her personality pres back against the pressure of the times?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)