|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elliot Roosevelt die of?
2. What does Freedman say Eleanor felt about her prospects as a wife?
3. How did Eleanor Roosevelt change under Mlle. Souvestre's influence?
4. How old was Eleanor Roosevelt when she returned to the U.S.?
5. What holiday did Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt marry on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Allenswood like?
2. Describe Eleanor Roosevelt's first engagement.
3. Describe the early years of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's marriage.
4. Describe Eleanor's relationship with Sarah Roosevelt.
5. What does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt felt when her husband was running for President?
6. What was the Secret Service's problem with Eleanor Roosevelt?
7. Describe the scene when Franklin Roosevelt proposed to Eleanor.
8. What did Franklin Roosevelt see in Eleanor--what did he tell her when his proposal surprised her?
9. What were the problems in the Roosevelt household?
10. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's first experience in politics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It comes out late in the biography that Franklin had seen Lucy Mercer (Lucy Mercer Rutherford) a number of times after Eleanor Roosevelt thought their affair was over. How did Eleanor Roosevelt live without intimacy of her own? Was politics enough for her? What did she do with her desire for personal love?
Essay Topic 2
What were the most important influences on Eleanor Roosevelt's life and development, and how did people or events shape her? How did she exert influences on other people in turn?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent was Eleanor Roosevelt a product of her times? How did the Great War, Prohibition, the Depression and the build-up toward war in Europe in the 1930s shape her personality? How did her personality pres back against the pressure of the times?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)