|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Eleanor Roosevelt dislike about the prospect of moving to Washington D.C.?
(a) Being responsible for so many people.
(b) Being scrutinized by everyone.
(c) Having to be outspoken.
(d) Having to hold her tongue.
2. When did Franklin Roosevelt ask Congress for a declaration of war?
(a) December 8, 1941.
(b) September 2, 1939.
(c) August, 1945.
(d) May 1, 1940.
3. Who was Earl Miller?
(a) A state trooper.
(b) An activist.
(c) A political appointee.
(d) A reporter.
4. What does Freedman say was the effect of Franklin Roosevelt's paralysis?
(a) He despaired, but was occasionally inspired.
(b) He began to drink and became depressed.
(c) He learned to remain untouched by political attacks.
(d) He became more understanding of people's hardships.
5. What was it that paralyzed Franklin Roosevelt?
(a) A swimming accident.
(c) A stroke.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the social conditions like in America when Franklin Roosevelt took office?
2. What advice did Louis Howe give Eleanor Roosevelt after Franklin Roosevelt's paralysis?
3. What does Freedman say Franklin Roosevelt did in the wake of his affair?
4. What does Freedman say was a contentious issue between Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?
5. What were Franklin Roosevelt's advisers' thoughts about Eleanor Roosevelt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freedman describe the White House as it was occupied by Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?
2. How did Eleanor develop as a public speaker?
3. In what way was Eleanor Roosevelt unlike previous First Ladies?
4. How would Eleanor go about trying to influence the President on issues she had feelings about?
5. Describe the crisis surrounding Lucy Mercer.
6. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's career through Franklin's first term as President?
7. Describe Eleanor's experience teaching at the Todhunter school.
8. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor Roosevelt's response to European hostilities?
9. Describe the Roosevelts' experience in Europe after the Great War.
10. Why did Franklin Roosevelt end up taking a third term as President?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)